Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Cross Daggers, Woodhouse in 1966. Not seen this before, very atmospheric and almost Victorian. Must be one of the oldest buildings in Sheffield.

View attachment 64847
If you zoom into the lintel above the door it says "T G N 1658." (Or something like that.) It's not very clear in this photo.
This is a clearer photo, but less atmospheric.
IMG_0251.JPG

Was that Cantors only shop? Six star furniture it may be, but it’s not exactly DFS is it? Imagine mauling a three piece Dralon suite up to the third floor!
Cantors started in Sheffield, on Snig Hill, and had about 100 stores around the country. The Hallam University building on Arundel Street is named after them as they were benefactors.

Walsh's being built, High Street 1952.

View attachment 64831
Good photo. Remember Walshs opening and the escalators, first Sheffield store to have them, what fun we had homeward bound from school riding them to the top floor and back down again. Simple pleasures those days. We weren't simple🤪, just to let yor young'uns know we were just daft. Kids from all schools were at it till Walshs cottoned on turning kids in groups and with no adult away. Anyone else do this?

Is that Meadowhall roundabout? If so, I once went down Meadowhall Road towards Sheffield on my moped and turned right to go back the way I’d come, forgetting it was a massive roundabout and I should’ve turned left.
Could you tell me what days of the week you drive around Sheffield, cos I'll make sure I stay in. Yes. It's the M1 at Tinsley. :D:D

Was that Cantors only shop? Six star furniture it may be, but it’s not exactly DFS is it? Imagine mauling a three piece Dralon suite up to the third floor!
They had a shop on Queens Rd , too. Probably somewhere near where the Evans bike shop is now.

Back
Top Bottom