Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hu
Lovely photo that. The contrast of old and new with Sheffield Polytechnic in the background. National Express pulling out of the bus station. Across the road where we can't see the hammer at ponds forge thudding away. This view would have been what my grandmother would have seen everyday as she walked down the cobbles.

Anyone identify where this is?

dark_subway1.jpg

My guess is from the Fiesta/Top Rank area down towards the small cinemas on the upper side of Pond Street?

Call me weird but I always quite liked it around there. Especially the system of escalators that we used to race down that ended up at the back entrance to the cinema. Some weird little shops in there too from what I recall.

It was grubby as hell but kind of cool in an urban decay sort of way.

Call me weird but I always quite liked it around there. Especially the system of escalators that we used to race down that ended up at the back entrance to the cinema. Some weird little shops in there too from what I recall.

I know what you mean. As a kid it was good but later it fell into disrepair and got a reputation for crime and a bit seedy. Not helped by the type of films and clientele at the little cinema. Let's not get started on Pond Street Norah!

Used to love it after home games when the mob of blades went chanting through the bus station.

Last edited:

The old cinema house, Barkers Pool. Opposite where the Gaumont was

View attachment 61084
Can anyone remember name of the garden, bottom left of this photo? It is behind the double metal gates, with a pond squirting water onto a stone pillar mounted chrome sphere, visible over railings. Always seemed to be closed at least in 50's

Can anyone remember name of the garden, bottom left of this photo? It is behind the double metal gates, with a pond squirting water onto a stone pillar mounted chrome sphere, visible over railings. Always seemed to be closed at least in 50's
Well the pond was Barkers Pool wasn’t it? Not sure if the garden had a separate name though.

954229c93c798831226c2f616da215a5.jpgflat_street_steps1.jpggraffiti_subway.jpgimages.jpeg-2.jpglarge.jpg

I know what you mean. As a kid it was good but later it fell into disrepair and got a reputation for crime and a bit seedy. Not helped by the type of films and clientele at the little cinema. Let's not get started on Pond Street Norah!

Used to love it after home games when the mob of blades went chanting through the bus station.

post-822-1225295330_thumb.jpg

s44286.jpg

Balm Green?
Although Balm Green runs down the side of the City Hall, this little patch of greenery is called Fountain Square.

Back
Top Bottom