Norwood

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Lee Hendrie and Oli Norwood are definitely having intercourse tonight

And I feel like it is only a matter of time before he scores a goal. In the right net. Well done Olly on the improvement.

Great tonight but I do wish he’d stop shooting
Nah keep taking pops, unlucky one shot got deflected just wide.

There's times Norwood gets the ball just outside the box with no one pressing and it's aimlessly recycled out wide where a shot looked best option.

Keep taking shots Ollie a worldie is just around the corner

There's times Norwood gets the ball just outside the box with no one pressing and it's aimlessly recycled out wide where a shot looked best option.

He hasn’t scored since god was a lad, can’t see it. But he’s playing very well indeed.

I have said this before that with his passing ability, he should get so many more goals. The lad can strike a ball but in the last couple of seasons seemed scared to shoot even when he has had the opportunity. Same with hourihane, he rarely has a pop either.

Hes reet good ,always has been.
1 good game in 2 years, same as Moose! (Although he has played a damn sight more). Think it has helped Norwood a lot in recent weeks having Hourihane level with him and not 20 yards further forward (ie a bank of 2 CM not a CDM and a CAM). Thinking Fulham onwards

Even when he wasn't particularly playing well earlier this season, he was still easily our most effective midfielder, which says a lot about the team for that torrid Slav spell.

Even when he wasn't particularly playing well earlier this season, he was still easily our most effective midfielder, which says a lot about the team for that torrid Slav spell.
slav wasnt bad, he tried something new which was needed after the shit show of a premier league season

Another good outing against Brum hopefully, not like there are others knocking on the door.

1 good game in 2 years, same as Moose! (Although he has played a damn sight more). Think it has helped Norwood a lot in recent weeks having Hourihane level with him and not 20 yards further forward (ie a bank of 2 CM not a CDM and a CAM). Thinking Fulham onwards

That's one of my big objections to Norwood.
We're forever having to compensate for his shortcomings. You have to build a system around him to get the best out of him.
The problem is, with our budget, I struggle to see where we can find decent box-to-box midfielders that offer more at both ends.

I was a big fan when he first arrived and still think he was a major reason for our promotion in 18/19.
He also did well in the first season in the Prem and a number of goals came from his set plays, particularly corners.
However he struggles when opponents 'jump all over him', he's got no pace and he doesn't try to beat a man.
What has returned to his game recently is he seems to be more effective at getting a foot in and breaking up play, such as when he won the ball back high up the pitch against Peterboro and Billy should have scored when one-on-one with the keeper.

slav wasnt bad, he tried something new which was needed after the shit show of a premier league season

Slav never had the players needed to play the way he wanted. He at least went back to our usual formation when he found out he wasn't going to be allowed to sign any wingers.

I was a big fan when he first arrived and still think he was a major reason for our promotion in 18/19.
He also did well in the first season in the Prem and a number of goals came from his set plays, particularly corners.
However he struggles when opponents 'jump all over him', he's got no pace and he doesn't try to beat a man.
What has returned to his game recently is he seems to be more effective at getting a foot in and breaking up play, such as when he won the ball back high up the pitch against Peterboro and Billy should have scored when one-on-one with the keeper.
He has a lot of similar qualities to Beckham, don't you think?

Beckham didn't really have that much pace. He was very good at whipping the ball in and when he started to play deeper he also wasn't especially known for his tackling ability bit could spread those luscious long passes out.

Similar qualities and weaknesses.

I think he'll be more appreciated when he's no longer there because I don't remember Blades having a guy in midfield who passes the ball long distances as well as him. Not hoof but really good accurate distance passing.

Beckham didn't really have that much pace. He was very good at whipping the ball in and when he started to play deeper he also wasn't especially known for his tackling ability bit could spread those luscious long passes out.

I think he'll be more appreciated when he's no longer there because I don't remember Blades having a guy in midfield who passes the ball long distances as well as him. Not hoof but really good accurate distance passing.

He doesn't have the same scoring threat from a set piece as Beckham. Scoring directly from a free kick seems to be going out of fashion these days.

I am guessing TC was before your time? He could certainly pass the ball long distances!

I am a fan of Norwood and he does have a great range of passing and although he has some faults I think he get far too much bad press on here.

Something I think that is underestimated about Norwood is that 90% of the time, he's looking for the ball, and knows what he's going to do with it. How many United midfielders have there been that 'hide' (ahem, one plays next to Oli at the moment), or ask for the ball then pass it straight back and have no intention of looking forwards. Coutts was the same. When Norwood plays well, we look a much better team.

1 good game in 2 years, go often ?

That's one of my big objections to Norwood.
We're forever having to compensate for his shortcomings. You have to build a system around him to get the best out of him.
The problem is, with our budget, I struggle to see where we can find decent box-to-box midfielders that offer more at both ends.
You compensate for every player in team ,thats why its called a team.

1 good game in 2 years, go often ?
Go on then, I'll bite. Evidence says I am right and you are the one who obviously doesnt go often.
Season 20/21. 37 appearances, no goals, 1 assist. No man of match awards and average rating of 4.92 according to crowd sourced s24su match data
Season 21/22. 27 appearances no goals, 2 assists, 2 man of the match awards average rating 5.5.
Like I said that is bang average output (you could probably make a decent case that he was one of the weakest players we had in the last prem season) with very little upside in terms of affecting things until the recent Fulham game.
Prove otherwise?

I am guessing TC was before your time? He could certainly pass the ball long distances!

I am a fan of Norwood and he does have a great range of passing and although he has some faults I think he get far too much bad press on here.
I was born in 1976. So TC was weaving his magic a little before my time.

Though my Dad, who saw Currie and appreciated him, isn't a fan of Norwood at all. Not enough end product for him. Though his favorite of the time was more Alan Woodward but overall Jimmy Hagan has no peer.

I think Norwood makes us tick when he plays well. Different to how Coutts did, though both recycle possession well. Coutts kept it simple, didn't give the ball away and had Duffy to probe down the middle. Norwood finds others in space very well often from deep, the last game being a good example, his pass to Bogle a good illustration.

What I like about Norwood is that even if he or we are not playing well, he doesn't hide. I can respect that in a player.

How many United midfielders have there been that 'hide' (ahem, one plays next to Oli at the moment),
If you're talking about Hourihane I think he still gets a bad rep on here from his first two or so games when he wasn't probably 100% match fit.

Since then I think he's been pretty decent in all honesty and definitely the best fit we currently have next to Norwood. (Which admittedly is odd considering how similar they are in playing style)

People comparing Norwood to TC???
Give your head a wobble.
TC won games on his own with wonderful skill, sheer force of will, character and desire, with brilliance and sparkle, with joy and a sense of devilment and fun.
Norwood’s just a decent midfielder

Deserved a goal at peterboro. The strike where the defender just got his heel to it was destined for the top corner.

He went through quite a spell of poor form but has improved ever since Hecky took over.

Credit to him and massively to Hecky who has found the right blend and balance to get the most out of him.

The first pass out wide on the video to a man who is marked, what is the point? pommpey highlighted these sort of passes on his my take thread and I agree this sort of pass gives the wing back no real options other than a pass backwards and the ball being recycled across our defence. They may look good but don't do anything to get us moving forwards Norwood makes too many of these passes that take us nowhere. Different player when the opposition press him which is all too often so I'm not going to get all hard over a game where he had all the room and time in the world.

Back
Top Bottom