NordVPN partnership

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'll ask if they are planning anything outside of their current offers for Blades, there's %ages off yearly and two yearly at the moment generally - https://go.nordvpn.net/SH3SP
Cheers TBF the offer they have a moment £65 quid for 2 years is better than one I use Hotspotshield $69 / year and I've had issues with it!
I work in US a lot and need sky go and BBC Iplayer to work

There was a guy in Liverpool just done for running an illegal IPTV setup providing footy and other things to punters. He got an extra 3 or 4 months explicitly for the separate charge of 'watching illegally streamed content'

Saying that I watch illegally downloaded / streamed content all the time and wouldnt give it a second thought. I cant even be arsed with a VPN

Criminal liability is covered by section 107 of the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988.

Without quoting the boring legislation (feel free to read it yourself), it specifically covers copyright infringement in the course of business (i.e. making a profit from copying other people's work, which I think we would expect to be a criminal offence?) and otherwise distributing materials "to such an extent as to affect prejudicially the owner of the copyright". This latter part is the distinction between someone who consumes copyright material (i.e. someone watching a football stream), and someone who causes significant financial loss to a copyright holder (but not in the nature of making a profit, i.e. someone who uploads a film to a torrent site... aka: "a pirate").

FACT and the Premier League are making big bones about it because it suits their pockets.

I think what was said above after you posted is probably correct, this is a tagged on charge, probably concurrent (so it will never be appealed), and that they probably proved significant financial loss due to the other charges he was facing. I would be shocked if a person was prosecuted for viewing streams without having profited from supplying them, but in this case; not so much.

I'm not offering that as legal advice, but personally, if I did indulge in watching the occasional stream (and it goes without saying that I'm a law abiding citizen who would never dream of doing such a thing :rolleyes: ), that case wouldn't personally persuade me not to do so.

Back
Top Bottom