No one leaving, no one coming in?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Something that illustrates the difference in transfer budgets/wage structure is the players Chelsea loaned out. Villa got Barkley, Fulham took Loftus-Cheek and we got Ampadu. Ampadu may become a good player, but he's a work in progress like many of our other signings. Barkley or Loftus-Cheek should have been the type of signing we needed to make in order to build on last season.

In the summer I'd have agreed they might potentially work for us theoretically.

Both Etheridge and Deeney have struggled in the Championship at times this season. Deeney not even a regular and Etheridge has made much bigger mistakes than Ramsdale has.

There's no such thing as a guarantee in football.

Whilst I don’t think we should have signed Etheridge and Deeney, the argument is there that had we done so we might have been no worse off in terms of points, having spent significantly less money.

Something that illustrates the difference in transfer budgets/wage structure is the players Chelsea loaned out. Villa got Barkley, Fulham took Loftus-Cheek and we got Ampadu. Ampadu may become a good player, but he's a work in progress like many of our other signings. Barkley or Loftus-Cheek should have been the type of signing we needed to make in order to build on last season.
i agree with you in principle but barkelys on 100k a week and loftus cheek 150k a week we just cant pay salaries like that and until we can we cannot become an established premier league club basically its too rich for us

Well, yes, but last season we had Henderson and Besic, both of whom are better than Ampadu and who did not cost the Earth.

Ampadu was a bad pick, unfortunately.

Well, yes, but last season we had Henderson and Besic, both of whom are better than Ampadu and who did not cost the Earth.

Ampadu was a bad pick, unfortunately.
Ampadu was a strange one because he's a player with potential.

That's an odd signing for a loanee.

Surely your loan signing is someone who is already good enough now but out of favour at their current club and someone you probably couldn't sign permanently. Chelsea is possibly a bad hunting ground because they will pay very high wages. But someone with more of a track record would have been my thoughts.

Whilst I don’t think we should have signed Etheridge and Deeney, the argument is there that had we done so we might have been no worse off in terms of points, having spent significantly less money.
You are right we can pick and choose on the names but the profile is what I am after.

We could have picked up a more experienced keeper for far less of a fee. I wasn't aware he'd made a few mistakes but he's been a reliable stopper for a decade and the right age for a keeper so in that sample size you would still consider him. Ramsdale has a far less reliable sample size. Very simplistic but you'd have been just as well saying to Man U "ok, you're keeping Henderson, what about Romero on loan?" The guy has 96 caps for Argentina!

Deeney if he hasn't been picked I think that is down to changes in management. You can't deny he was their talisman last season. If they hadn't binned Pearson in convinced they would have stayed up. I'm sure there were other players more battle ready than Brewster.

A lot of similarities with the JTW under Warnock. Firstly we signed potential and didn't focus enough on the present. Secondly, we thought we were in a position of safety. In Warnock's case it was at one point being 10 clear of the. Bottom 3 and in Wilder's case it was finishing above 11 other teams. The warning signs were there post lockdown that the first team needed immediate help.

Its pretty obvious that Wilders been told that there’s no money to bring anyone in, so he’s taken his bat and ball home and prevented anyone leaving the club on loan.

Pretty strange response to be honest and seems a bit counter productive, if he has the long term interests of the club at heart? Loans are an important part of a young players development and to potentially disrupt someone’s career out of pure awkwardness is not what I’d expect from him. If its a question of retaining the best 23’s for potential backup, then why send the Championship experienced RND to Stoke City? What’s more, why are we not naming a full bench? Why are we playing such a slow, negative, lacklustre style whilst CWAK just look on impassively?

All things considered, I suspect this doesn't bode well and Wilder knows he’s a condemned man and is trying to subliminally engineer his own dismissal, in order to secure receipt of his healthy severance cheque. To be honest I dont begrudge him that, but the really sad thing is, that despite his superb tenure at United, his legacy is likely to be, that of overseeing the worst ever points total by any team, in the history of the Premier League and one that’ll take some beating too 😩

Last edited:
Its pretty obvious that Wilders been told that there’s no money to bring anyone in, so he’s taken his bat and ball home and prevented anyone leaving the club on loan.

Pretty strange response to be honest and seems a bit counter productive, if he has the long term interests of the club at heart? Loans are an important part of a young players development and to potentially disrupt someone’s career out of pure awkwardness is not what I’d expect from him. If its a question of retaining the best 23’s for potential backup, then why send the Championship experienced RND to Stoke City? What’s more, why are we not naming a full bench? Why are we playing such a slow, negative, lacklustre style whilst CWAK just look on impassively?

All things considered, I suspect this doesn't bode well and Wilder knows he’s a condemned man and is trying to subliminally engineer his own dismissal, in order to secure receipt of his healthy severance cheque. To be honest I dont begrudge him that, but the really sad thing is, that despite his superb tenure at United, his legacy is likely to be, that of overseeing the worst ever points total by any team, in the history of the Premier League and one that’ll take some beating too 😩
And you know this? How?

I remember the laughing on here when Villa signed Bartley....

The thing is, wages are irrelevant in this scenario. We could have simply agreed a loan fee and Chelsea would still have paid their wages. Stops it being a problem in terms of wage structure.

Given the money we've spent and the income we get from the PL, bringing two big loan signings in for say £5-10 million in total isn't a huge ask.

Broadbent and Belehouan have not been prevented from leaving on loan. Someone's talking balls!:D😂

All things considered, I suspect this doesn't bode well and Wilder knows he’s a condemned man and is trying to subliminally engineer his own dismissal, in order to secure receipt of his healthy severance cheque. To be honest I dont begrudge him that, but the really sad thing is, that despite his superb tenure at United, his legacy is likely to be, that of overseeing the worst ever points total by any team, in the history of the Premier League and one that’ll take some beating
Any first team squad players are not being allowed to leave as our injuries make the squad light any other players are going out on loan to boost their development.

some people spout bollox to suit their agenda

What?! Haha, is their a ConspiracyBlades forum these things come from?

Possibly true. But next season we wouldn't be able to buy Rhian Brewster or Aaron Ramsdale... Who, believe it or not, can both become full England internationals in their career.

There's a lot of this which is all well and good in hindsight, but those who were advocating signing lower level players were accused of not looking big enough.
If you go through the Brewster thread there were loads of our fans bemoaning us not competing with Palace and the like and some were even saying we should be paying more than we did. I get that this is just individuals but it's the same now pointing fingers in hindsight but there were many voices highlighting the likes of Toney as who we should have gone from once Watkins was going to be way out our league.
It was clear to most level headed football fans that Brewster was never going to be the solution for this season and his signing should be looked at over the full length of his contract to determine if it's a good deal and worth the money. If we were emptying our kitty then yes I'd agree that it's an odd one given the midfield situation but as continually is the case those criticising the policy seemingly ignore the wage element. We can afford Premier league fees, we can't afford Premier league wages as our wage bill hasn't matured to that level. All the players I've seen mentioned I'd expect to be outside what we are prepared to pay, Brewster wasn't.

Any first team squad players are not being allowed to leave as our injuries make the squad light any other players are going out on loan to boost their development.

some people spout bollox to suit their agenda
What agenda, I want Chris Wilder to take us to the the top of the Premier League and into the Champions League. I don’t want him to leave, he’s been the best thing that’s happened to the club in the last 30 years.
But, I think it’s the times of adversity that are a true test of character.
He has stopped any loans going out and we’re obviously not bringing anyone in, I personally think he’s all but chucked the towel in and is waiting to be sacked......sadly.
I hope I’m wrong, but I’m not seeing a team that’s fighting for their lives, are you?

78 this is an excellent point. In the summer we were an attractive destination for those type of players. Fulham were coming up and favourites to finish bottom and Villa should have gone down last year. In contrast we finished 9th, had been pushing for Europe and were media darlings.

I think the board thought we would be mid table this season amd wanted to spend money on up and coming players we could potentially sell for a profit rather than ensuring we consolidated.

The strategy resulted in us spending 40m on Ramsdale and Brewster where if we'd spent less we could have afforded 2 players on 5m wages for a season. The likes of Loftus Cheek or Barkley and a battle hardened forward like Deeney would have made a massiven difference

The strategy resulted in us spending 40m on Ramsdale and Brewster where if we'd spent less we could have afforded 2 players on 5m wages for a season. The likes of Loftus Cheek or Barkley and a battle hardened forward like Deeney would have made a massiven difference
You're meaning those on loan presumably not perms? Do you think Watford would do a loan for Deeney, as wage wise he's way outside our level?

What agenda, I want Chris Wilder to take us to the the top of the Premier League and into the Champions League. I don’t want him to leave, he’s been the best thing that’s happened to the club in the last 30 years.
But, I think it’s the times of adversity that are a true test of character.
He has stopped any loans going out and we’re obviously not bringing anyone in, I personally think he’s all but chucked the towel in and is waiting to be sacked......sadly.
I hope I’m wrong, but I’m not seeing a team that’s fighting for their lives, are you?
Says who?

So you know for a fact that Wilder has thrown the towel in and stopped all loans going out? That’s a strong statement to make.
FFS Wider said they’ll be no one going out and I said, in my opinion, he looks to me as though he’s ready to chuck the towel in, I also said that the way we are playing, it looks like the players are resigned to their fate too.

Aren’t forums about opinions, it’s fine to have a different one BanderSerge, only time will tell who’s right or wrong.

Go and have a lie down 😉

FFS Wider said they’ll be no one going out and I said, in my opinion, he looks to me as though he’s ready to chuck the towel in, I also said that the way we are playing, it looks like the players are resigned to their fate too.

Aren’t forums about opinions, it’s fine to have a different one BanderSerge, only time will tell who’s right or wrong.

Go and have a lie down 😉
Correct. Forums are for different opinions, but I’ll say it again. “Wilder has chucked in the towel”. Blasphemy.

Why on earth would we send anyone else out on loan when we can’t even fill out bench as it is?

we barely have enough centrebacks to play our formation and we are already down to 3 fit midfielders, with none of the bench.

We can question the direction of the recruitment and the way our resources have been allocated all we like - cos clearly errors have been made in the squad building department. But would be madness to start sending more people in the first team or close to it out on loan now.

Go and have a lie down 😉
There is no one going out
I agree
But it has f all to do with Wilder throwing the towel in
Injuries mean that We do not have sufficient players in our squad to send anyone out on loan other than the youngsters who need development

Except our most experienced back up, Rhys Norrington-Davies ???

1) He was already out on loan for the season

2) it’s the one place in the squad we have plenty of cover with Lowe, stevens, Osborn, Robinson and Bryan at a push. All possibilities to slot in there.

Much better for him to be playing regularly in a side winning games - and showing what he can do at the level we will be playing at next year

^ I do not understand your point
RND needs game time, Osborn, Stevens and Lowe are all currently ahead of him.
No other first team players will leave on loan as we do not have sufficient bodies in the building.

when you find yourself in a hole stop digging, it appears you drive a jcb

Back
Top Bottom