Incoming? Nicky Law

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

His goal return, for a midfielder, over the last three years alone is better than Coutts, Hammond, Woolford and Flynn.

Combined league goals for Coutts, Hammond, Woolford, and Flynn is 19 goals since the start of the 2013 season, goals for Law in the same period, 20.

Not saying he is the answer, but we do need a scoring threat (or two) from the midfield.

Funnily enough, best of ours above was Woolford, scoring goals in the Championship.

Combined league goals for Coutts, Hammond, Woolford, and Flynn is 19 goals since the start of the 2013 season, goals for Law in the same period, 20.

Not saying he is the answer, but we do need a scoring threat (or two) from the midfield.

Funnily enough, best of ours above was Woolford, scoring goals in the Championship.

Our number one priority is midfielders who score goals more than once ever few years, no argument there.

Don't think he'd be a prolific scorer but he'd be good for 4/5 goals a season which is an improvement on what we have. Signing him in addition to one who'd score more would be a good way to go.

His debut was at home to Man U and it was a strange decision by Warnock I thought. I remember him playing at RB for the u16s and u18s. Saw his dad at the Academy matches

That was his full league debut. His first team debut was in the League Cup at Reading on 25/10/05 and he came on as sub at Newcastle in the PL on 4/11/06. The Man Utd game was 18/11/06.

Earth shattering revelation from Law's wiki page:

"But as his contract is about to expire, Law attracted interests clubs from England and Scotland, like Scunthorpe United.[37] Manager Andy Scott says he optimistic for Law to stay at the club,[38] but soon admits Scott gave his best effort to keep Law.[39]"

Turnbull will have been at Scunthorpe at that time, won't he?

I wonder if this is another one of those mix up jobbies where the two SUFC's have been mixed up and it is actually Scunny that are/have shown interest?

I was having a beer with a Blades mate last night and his eldest son used to be ITK, not so much anymore (for various reasons), but anyway he attended the McCabe meeting (corporate box meeting) and said pretty much, as others have said, McCabe was less than complimentary about NA and his signings. In fact he went to far as to say that he thought it was nailed on that Adkins was leaving.

He also said that McCabe said that he was going to have to fund the release of certain players (pay up their remaining contract) because "no one is going to come in and buy them".

He certainly hasn't been complimentary to Adkins but he has said that he took over a squad that was huge and average. I think McCabe could or would have sacked Adkins this week if he wanted him out though? Like Peterborough have done.

Nicky Law
deary me , things are bad
lets hope its lazy journalism
I wonder if this is another one of those mix up jobbies where the two SUFC's have been mixed up and it is actually Scunny that are/have shown interest?

Or lazy scouting by Turnbull on the blades behalf . Thing is ,it does not appear 100% certain that Adkins will be with us , so in the next couple of weeks we should find out who is pulling the strings. From the forums just held at the lane it appeared to me Adkins was not the flavour of the month or the season.

Law is league 2 level , we have been down this road before . We don't want to sign equal players to what we have got or had , but a betterment , players who make a difference.

UTB

I thought you were joking SB.
I noticed on Wiki that his brother plays pro footy but didn't see anything about his dad.
Sorry mate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicky_Law_(footballer,_born_1961)

Deane floored him with an elbow in our 4-1 win at Notts County in Boxing Day 1988. Deane got sent off after the linesman told the ref what had happened. Think the score was 1-1 at the time but with 10 men we scored three more goals!

Law-N-1.jpg

Agree with that. I would assume, if there is interest, it's because McC has said, 'do one' to Adkins regarding Hammond. He certainly isn't the answer to the goal scoring issues from midfield at the head of a diamond. Moncur would suit that role if we could get him.
I'm not claiming to be ITK but I've heard that Adkins hasn't been too impressed with Hammond. It would make sense given that I doubt he wants to publicly criticise a man he respects who took a pay cut to come down here.
Also, if the technical board wouldn't have sanctioned most of this season's transfers (as McCabe said) then I really don't think he'll be back.

I wouldn't be dead against this. Every time I've seen him play he's been tough in the tackle and is a tidy player. At 28 he wouldn't be chasing shadows like what's his face from leicester.

I wouldn't be dead against this. Every time I've seen him play he's been tough in the tackle and is a tidy player. At 28 he wouldn't be chasing shadows like what's his face from leicester.

Harsh on Kanté that. But I can't see much value in signing Law. He's done nowt in this league, and if we're going to sign players of that age then they need to know the ropes.

Harsh on Kanté that. But I can't see much value in signing Law. He's done nowt in this league, and if we're going to sign players of that age then they need to know the ropes.

Alan you Kante!

To be honest you could be right but a quick glance at his wiki page shows he played for Yeovil, Bradford and Rotherham. I can't be arsed to check but I suspect he's probably had a few years in this glorious division.

I'm resigned to the fact we won't be spending any money, I'd rather we sign players this side of 30. Not a geriatric alumni of Nigel Adkins promotion teams from 2007.

I'm not claiming to be ITK but I've heard that Adkins hasn't been too impressed with Hammond. It would make sense given that I doubt he wants to publicly criticise a man he respects who took a pay cut to come down here.
Also, if the technical board wouldn't have sanctioned most of this season's transfers (as McCabe said) then I really don't think he'll be back.

Hope you're right! I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Hammond himself wouldn't be too keen on a return either, given that he's from the South originally and he knows he is not exactly appreciated by our fans! I'd much rather Nicky Law, but if I'm being perfectly honest I don't know how good Law is these days, I'm just going on how well he did for Motherwell and Rangers in terms of reputation.

His goal return, for a midfielder, over the last three years alone is better than Coutts, Hammond, Woolford and Flynn.
I wouldn't take Nicky Law's Rangers stats too seriously because even Coutts could score goals in the Scottish Championship, Scottish 1st Division & the Scottish 2nd Division where these stats were gained ............ Then again Coutts - Maybe not.

There certainly appears to have been a shift recently towards the probability of Hammond not signing permanently.

If even Adkins isn't too keen, then the only way he could arrive is if we've already agreed to sign him, which there were rumours of. But could any contract have been signed? You'd think there'd be a way out of it.

I was having a beer with a Blades mate last night and his eldest son used to be ITK, not so much anymore (for various reasons), but anyway he attended the McCabe meeting (corporate box meeting) and said pretty much, as others have said, McCabe was less than complimentary about NA and his signings. In fact he went to far as to say that he thought it was nailed on that Adkins was leaving.

He also said that McCabe said that he was going to have to fund the release of certain players (pay up their remaining contract) because "no one is going to come in and buy them".

Hopefully he means players like Scougal & Coutts are getting culled in the summer along with the other "out of contract" wasters ....... :D

UTB & FTP

Probably the pond we are fishing in to be honest.

Hopefully he means players like Scougal & Coutts are getting culled in the summer along with the other "out of contract" wasters ....... :D

UTB & FTP

Had a beer with him after today's (terrible) match. He told me that the reason Collins went was that McCabe paid up the last few months of his contract to get rid of him.

Back
Top Bottom