Newcastle's subs

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The three that came on together, Isak, Tonali and Livramento cost a combined £150 million. Not an excuse but that's the kind of 'corruption' for want of a better word that is killing the game.
How is it corruption? So long as they're not breaching FFP then it's fair game. And they won't be breaching it with all this spread the fee across an 8 year contract that EVERYONE does to exploit this. Everyone but us, as spreading the £1mil for Slimane over 8 years isn't an attractive deal.

We're stuck in a rock and a hard place. You don't want to be in the Championship, but you don't want to be in the Premier League.

I personally hate the Premier League and have done since the day Abramovich arrived and destroyed it.

How is it corruption. So long as they're not breaching FFP then it's fair game. And they won't be breaching it with all this spread the fee across an 8 year contract that EVERYONE does to exploit this. Everyone but us, as spreading the £1mil for Slimane over 8 years isn't an attractive deal.
Well they lied to the premier league about the one stipulation that would have seen the takeover terminated
So thats pretty corrupt

The three that came on together, Isak, Tonali and Livramento cost a combined £150 million. Not an excuse but that's the kind of 'corruption' for want of a better word that is killing the game.
Especially when our whole budget was £20 million🤣

The disparity in the squads competing in the Premier League would mean you often need a miracle to get anything from a game.
Then refs are handing teams with such a big advantage already a 3 goal lead by half time!
We need to man up. Fight for 17th or better but not expect anything unless we get a few huge slice of luck go our way.
Back the manager.
Back the team.
We may just stay up.
If we don't, we have a good chance of competing in the Championship next season.
This is what it's like.
Don't sack the best manager we've had in a long time unless he begs to be let go like Wilder did.
We won't get so lucky again.
Hecky is building with youth and shrewd spending with a very low budget. Don't thow the baby out with the bath water!
COYRAWW

The disparity in the squads competing in the Premier League would mean you often need a miracle to get anything from a game.
Then refs are handing teams with such a big advantage already a 3 goal lead by half time!
We need to man up. Fight for 17th or better but not expect anything unless we get a few huge slice of luck go our way.
Back the manager.
Back the team.
We may just stay up.
If we don't, we have a good chance of competing in the Championship next season.
This is what it's like.
Don't sack the best manager we've had in a long time unless he begs to be let go like Wilder did.
We won't get so lucky again.
Hecky is building with youth and shrewd spending with a very low budget. Don't thow the baby out with the bath water!
COYRAWW
Best manager? Don't agree. Results wise maybe. But on the pitch we have no style, no approach to attacking, can't defend, he makes subs too late and normally takes off/brings on the wrong player, he doesn't make tactical changes until after the damage is done instead of to prevent the inevitable. None of the players have gotten better under him. He's a very basic and limited manager who got us up on largely average performances, largely based on Ndiaye's maverick ways, and the league being one of the poorest since our promotion from League One where Leon finished top scorer. Hecky is a good coach but not a good match day manager and the results flatter his averageness. On paper Blackwell is one of our best managers, but I wouldn't pay to watch the tripe he served up again. Wilson was one of our best ever managers but no one will ever admit it for some reason.

How is it corruption? So long as they're not breaching FFP then it's fair game. And they won't be breaching it with all this spread the fee across an 8 year contract that EVERYONE does to exploit this. Everyone but us, as spreading the £1mil for Slimane over 8 years isn't an attractive deal.

We're stuck in a rock and a hard place. You don't want to be in the Championship, but you don't want to be in the Premier League.

I personally hate the Premier League and have done since the day Abramovich arrived and destroyed it.
Maybe it’s not corruption as such but the money in the Premier League is absolutely ruining the game in my opinion. There’s no room for innovation or development. As YorkBlade says it’s now solely about how rich your owner is. The gap between the Premier and Championship is so vast, purely down to unchecked billions being pumped into the league by some of the richest people in the world. FFP is an utter joke, there’s nothing fair about the financial spending ability of oil money teams.

If you want fairness and an even playing field, introduce a wage/spend cap and then handicap teams each season in reverse order. For example this year City would have the biggest restrictions as last years Champions and each team from there has a higher cap. Then if a side win multiple leagues they would be worthy of respect.

Whatever the intention, rules designed to embark financial fair play have failed badly when a side like Newcastle, that haven’t won anything of note in decades (and have recently been a championship side), can bring £200m worth of talent off the bench. How the fuck are newly promoted sides supposed to compete with that? We aren’t, that’s the point. FFP is designed to protect those already in the seat of power from ever being challenged. Forest had shit £100s of million just to be a slightly above relegation side FFS. I really wish the Premier League wasn’t the top league in this country, because I hate about 90% of what it’s about

I do find it hilarious that the big boys are getting a taste of their own medicine from the Saudi Pro league and complaining about how unfair it is.

todays gone the morale in the camp may have gone after today we have to move on not easy i know but we have to sooner or later a run of games will come along against bottom 6 clubs like us those are the must win games

Maybe it’s not corruption as such but the money in the Premier League is absolutely ruining the game in my opinion. There’s no room for innovation or development. As YorkBlade says it’s now solely about how rich your owner is. The gap between the Premier and Championship is so vast, purely down to unchecked billions being pumped into the league by some of the richest people in the world. FFP is an utter joke, there’s nothing fair about the financial spending ability of oil money teams.

If you want fairness and an even playing field, introduce a wage/spend cap and then handicap teams each season in reverse order. For example this year City would have the biggest restrictions as last years Champions and each team from there has a higher cap. Then if a side win multiple leagues they would be worthy of respect.

Whatever the intention, rules designed to embark financial fair play have failed badly when a side like Newcastle, that haven’t won anything of note in decades (and have recently been a championship side), can bring £200m worth of talent off the bench. How the fuck are newly promoted sides supposed to compete with that? We aren’t, that’s the point. FFP is designed to protect those already in the seat of power from ever being challenged. Forest had shit £100s of million just to be a slightly above relegation side FFS. I really wish the Premier League wasn’t the top league in this country, because I hate about 90% of what it’s about

I do find it hilarious that the big boys are getting a taste of their own medicine from the Saudi Pro league and complaining about how unfair it is.
I completely agree. I admire American sports for their wage caps, salary caps, genuine financial fair play and the draft systems. Football could learn a lot from them. It's a bit like Formula E racing in some aspects.

We all have to take our red and white googles off and accept we’re rubbish. We can go on and about fees but we’re just not good enough man to man.

100% this.

We had off days in the champ every few games where we’d just hit show up and either scrape a win or lose (think it was the QPR period last season where we got something like 3pts from 18?).

We have an off day against a team on fire and smelling blood then we’re getting annihilated.

I can’t believe that McB being out for this game made that much of a difference.

Basically there is now a hard financial ceiling on achieving in modern English football we have hit it, results will vary from plucky results to drubbings like today, but the fundamentals won't change. Just look at the sheer amount of investment Forest made last year to just avoid relegation late last season, until we get a new owner this is the reality which will make football shit to watch as Blades fan for most of this year. That's the premier league in 2023

but this is fundamentally why were not good enough man to man
As an individual pride has to come into play, not sure anyone can hold their hand up and show this. 10 quid or 10 million to me its the man in front of you.

As an individual pride has to come into play, not sure anyone can hold their hand up and show this. 10 quid or 10 million to me its the man in front of you.
You are right tbf see my above post, That's what generates the variation from losing 2-1 in the last minute to losing 8-0 today but thats the range we're playing in professional pride doesn't get you past unlimited spending from a petro-state it gets you to losing narrowly to them instead of dreadfully

We all have to take our red and white googles off and accept we’re rubbish. We can go on and about fees but we’re just not good enough man to man.
We can go on about fees, but we’re just not good enough? Can’t you see those 2 things are intrinsically linked? Newcastle have done nothing to be worthy of a half billion pound squad except be bought out (against the rules) by very a rich state. The Premier League allows ever increasing spending, without restrictions or reprisal which means promoted clubs have virtually no chance unless they spend £200m+.

You are right tbf see my above post, That's what generates the variation from losing 2-1 in the last minute to losing 8-0 today but thats the range we're playing in professional pride doesn't get you past unlimited spending from a petro-state it gets you to losing narrowly to them instead of dreadfully
I think all our emotions are high right now just a tough pill to swallow right now.

How dare clubs with more money than us be able to spend it! I'm sure there most have been some point last season where a Rotherham, Preston etc said "but they have 40 million pounds worth of strikers on their bench" at us

I completely agree. I admire American sports for their wage caps, salary caps, genuine financial fair play and the draft systems. Football could learn a lot from them.

And when you reduce football to a closed system with only ~32 teams ever able to play in it, it might work in football as well. And it would be the same day I would say fuck this game and watch something else entirely

*Since the day Division one became the Premier League

How dare clubs with more money than us be able to spend it! I'm sure there most have been some point last season where a Rotherham, Preston etc said "but they have 40 million pounds worth of strikers on their bench" at us
And when you reduce football to a closed system with only ~32 teams ever able to play in it, it might work in football as well. And it would be the same day I would say fuck this game and watch something else entirely
I think you do raise interesting point like I'd hate for us to be hypocritical when it comes to clubs who haven't been in the premier league, I'd guess my response would be the order of magnitudes in the financial imbalances between prem teams and champ teams coming up is so much bigger like our advantage over rotherham is nothing compared to Newcastle's over us like they playing without financial risk. On the closed shop thing the prem now is closed system in any other name, next season may be different but only if the 3 relegated teams in champ come back up that or a mad rich owner way like Forest is the only way to compete atm.

The gap between us and Rotherham is minuscule compared to us and Newcastle, and the only reason our strikers were £40m is because we’d just dropped out of the Premier League and had to try and spend beyond our means to try and compete. The money being spunked in the Premier League is also having a detrimental effect down the leagues. And if you care about the integrity of the game, then yes, just because you have more money, doesn’t mean you should be able to spend it unchecked and unchallenged. I certainly don’t want a game whereby the only indication of whether or not you might have success can be found on the balance sheet of your owner. American sports understand this, football it seems, makes too many people, too much money to change its ways.

Brighton, brentford, bournemouth, leicester, wolves, fulham they have all managed to get a foothold in this league and compete with the big boys. Some of them have spent more than others to get here. IMO they all have been successful because they have signed good players and have a footballing culture. Their philosophy and culture came before their success. Money does make a difference but like someone else has said we also are just far too average at everything.

I really couldn’t tell you what our footballing identity is right now. Park the bus and hit and hope.

Money isn’t the only way to success.

Not sure your logic follows there TBH. The Premier League is a closed shop for 20 teams each year. Why couldn’t you impose a cap that handicapped last years successful teams and gave the 3 promoted teams the highest threshold? Doesn’t that seem fairer?

Not sure your logic follows there TBH. The Premier League is a closed shop for 20 teams each year. Why couldn’t you impose a cap that handicapped last years successful teams and gave the 3 promoted teams the highest threshold? Doesn’t that seem fairer?

It is fairer. Because anyone half decent would fuck off to another league where there aren't wage caps. When I say a closed shop, I'm talking about the entire world, not just one country

Back
Top Bottom