New training pitch

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Is that where Bearwood College school was? I have played football and cricket there
RFC bought 120 acres of land on the grounds of/alongside the old college, the college as was has closed but a new school opened on the site.

RFC bought 120 acres of land on the grounds of/alongside the old college, the college as was has closed but a new school opened on the site.
Cheers, the school had good football and cricket teams when I played for my school between 1974 and 1979

Cat 1 academy = elite status
When people argue about who are the bigger clubs and what criteria should decide that ,this is the only true real indicator of who the big boys are nowadays
Incorrect... global fan base is the most important part indicator. Revenue etc

2 pitches on the top section (normally used by the academy for training/games

1 on the middle bit (where the new video shows) - used by the 1st team

1 full size 4G pitch down the bottom
Indoor 4G (not quite full size)

Only the pitch middle pitch has been upgraded. It did used to be 2 pitched laid out the opposite direction, why they've changed the direction of the pitch and only have 1 now I've no idea..
"why they've changed the direction of the pitch and only have 1 now I've no idea.."
The previous manager wanted a single full size pitch to mimic the one at BL. He lasted about another 6 weeks until PH came in and wanted a different set up...
I keep reading thet the club has been 'clever' in undertaking the works in a quiteter period for pitch contractors. A pertinent question that I havent seen posed as yet is why they arent busy in Autumn / Winter (thats obvious) and more impotantly will the grass 'take' sufficently for the first team to train...

"why they've changed the direction of the pitch and only have 1 now I've no idea.."
The previous manager wanted a single full size pitch to mimic the one at BL. He lasted about another 6 weeks until PH came in and wanted a different set up...
I keep reading thet the club has been 'clever' in undertaking the works in a quiteter period for pitch contractors. A pertinent question that I havent seen posed as yet is why they arent busy in Autumn / Winter (thats obvious) and more impotantly will the grass 'take' sufficently for the first team to train...
The change in direction is when it's set up to maximum size FIFA standard it can be set out the other way to have a full size and a three quarter pitch . Giving 4 goal mouths .

Change of direction - if they start training on it at 10 am, the sun is in approximately same place it would be on the main pitch at 3 pm.

**not sure if that is true or not but it sounds good.

View attachment 148770View attachment 148771

we are where we are , we had several years of tugging ownership of the club and are finally getting a grip on improvements
That’s a bit of an outdated list BTL off the top of my head Swansea and Reading have dropped out of the top tier and Leeds, Forest and Palace have moved up with Birmingham also undergoing work to allow them to move up.

They could do with a stand for us spectators being built

That’s a bit of an outdated list BTL off the top of my head Swansea and Reading have dropped out of the top tier and Leeds, Forest and Palace have moved up with Birmingham also undergoing work to allow them to move upsdium yo call their own.
birmingham. still got 2 sides of their ground closed. swings and roundabouts

Coventry gor nice training ground but no stadium to call their own

Think Birmingham are pinning a lot of having academy lads step up to supplement the first team.

Given the continued gap between the haves and have nots in football it might be something more and more teams find themselves doing.

Are you saying we should only strive to be better than Birmingham and Coventry rather than aim for a top facility?

The attitude of 'they're shit and we're a bit better so it's alright' is one that perplexes me!

Are you saying we should only strive to be better than Birmingham and Coventry rather than aim for a top facility?

The attitude of 'they're shit and we're a bit better so it's alright' is one that perplexes me!
no I'm saying we were in limbo. because of the ownership tussle then due to covid lost probably lost half our prem money. around 60 70 m which would affect many teams
30k. gates became 0
tv income slashed
we've had to adjust wages after relegation

no I'm saying we were in limbo. because of the ownership tussle then due to covid lost probably lost half our prem money. around 60 70 m which would affect many teams
30k. gates became 0
tv income slashed
we've had to adjust wages after relegation
They're some of the reasons behind why we haven't upgraded our facilities.

I just wondered why Coventry not having a ground and Birmingham's only having 2 sides had to do with us not having top class facilities? Your previous post mentions both of these.

"will the grass take sufficiently for the first team to train..." I could see problems here.

In the current cold spell there will be minimal growth, if any at all. If it has undersoil heating then the situation improves, especially if it can get a few hours sun daily and the ambient temperature is 7 degrees Celsius or above.

What often happens is that newly laid pitches are played on too soon, resulting in slippage of the pitch, and slips by players because of it, sometimes causing injuries.

What also often happens, is that too much water is given to the pitch so that the grass roots don`t have to grow down searching for water, and in the process anchoring the pitch properly.

Whether the club has been clever in undertaking the works in a quieter period for pitch contractors, may largely depend upon how it is treated until the Spring.

They're some of the reasons behind why we haven't upgraded our facilities.

I just wondered why Coventry not having a ground and Birmingham's only having 2 sides had to do with us not having top class facilities? Your previous post mentions both of these.
it shows there's finite amount of money to most clubs. you either buy one thing o r another

I'm not saying we are better just lost 60m quid of predicted income which stifles our profess a bit
You’re getting away from my original point, what have Birmingham and Coventry got to do with our revenue reduction due to covid?!

I’ll tell you what, absolutely nothing. You were talking nonsense.

You’re getting away from my original point, what have Birmingham and Coventry got to do with our revenue reduction due to covid?!

I’ll tell you what, absolutely nothing. You were talking nonsense.
they are just 2 clubs who haven't been in the prem and been lumbered with a huge wage bill and suffered a massive drop in expected income. like we did
all clubs need sound finances to plan things like academies and we had to be prudent
adjusting. our wage bill before anything else

we have made a start now and I expect us to carry on investing in our future

they are just 2 clubs who haven't been in the prem and been lumbered with a huge wage bill and suffered a massive drop in expected income. like we did
all clubs need sound finances to plan things like academies and we had to be prudent
adjusting. our wage bill before anything else

we have made a start now and I expect us to carry on investing in our future

I’d rather look at the likes of Derby, Blackburn, Stoke, Boro, Reading, Norwich, Swansea, Sunderland and West Brom and try to become a Cat 1 club than the ones who haven’t even got a proper ground.

They seem to have managed relegations AND maintained investment in their facilities.

I’d rather look at the likes of Derby, Blackburn, Stoke, Boro, Reading, Norwich, Swansea, Sunderland and West Brom and try to become a Cat 1 club than the ones who haven’t even got a proper ground.

They seem to have managed relegations AND maintained investment in their facilities.
they all got their expected income
covid closure meant we lost 60m quid
of expected income due to covid which. would have paid for a. superb academy . but it got put aside until we re balanced our funds
West brom who came down with us also have struggled since relegation

the other club Fulham love. running up debt we can't afford and are charging 100 quid a match ticket for the new stand . Do we want to go that route

Last edited:

they all got their expected income
covid closure meant we lost 60m quid
of expected income due to covid which. would have paid fir a. superb academy . but
it got put aside until we re balanced our funds
Rather than make stuff up, the logical answer would be that we used our money to buy players for the here and now. That was probably the right thing to do at the time but we just bought the wrong players.

We now don't have the spare cash around to go on and develop a top class facility in the same way that we won't be improving the kop anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom