New keeper is shit

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wes back on Tuesday..

This guy is flat footed and looks to have very little athletic ability

100% agree but those are all reasons why he shouldnt have been playing at all. Won’t be chucking him under the bus myself but the decision to play him has to be questioned.

Psychologically this could be damaging for him, especially when fans will now start questioning his ability. Nothing to gain from starting him against a team like Brighton if you ask me.
Only dickwads who know nothing about football will be questioning him
Comes into a weakened team who he most likely met yesterday against a side who are in the quarter finals of a major European tournament after winning their group and in theory are 3 rounds from a Champions League spot next season and as an attacking unit they are class
goals 1-2-3-4 no blame had one save to make - goal five I missed as I was walking up the gangway
He will be fine

Too early to judge. Having a midfield in front of him that contained Osborn and Norwood who never laid a glove on the opposition wouldn't have helped him. Manager did hold his hand up after game and acknowledge he'd thrown him in at the deep end but he wanted him to have 90 minutes before Palace.

His distribution was quicker and more accurate than Wes. Thats an improvement. Lets see how he does when we play the first eleven on Tuesday.

Hmm not sure going public saying that will do much for Wes.

I expect we know Wes has opted not to renew his contract.
Wes the guy who came in as backup, monikered league one Wes, fought to claim the No1 jersey for a couple of seasons and fought off Olsen and Verrips when new managers put them ahead of him?
You think that would knock him?

100% agree but those are all reasons why he shouldnt have been playing at all. Won’t be chucking him under the bus myself but the decision to play him has to be questioned.

Psychologically this could be damaging for him, especially when fans will now start questioning his ability. Nothing to gain from starting him against a team like Brighton if you ask me.
100% agree this is on wilder, an absolutely ridiculous decision to start him today and has it be questioned. He looked demoralised when the 4th went in.

Sorry but it has to be said, too slow, clumsy, and not committing himself when needed.
And I will say, that you sir, clearly rush to decisions. Fucking hell. He faced two penalties - tell me how many penalties as a % are saved. First goal a belter, 4th goal pretty sweet finish to, I will give you the 5th, must do better. Lad is country for 2 days. Not played much footy. FUCK ME!!!

From my point of view, I watched him warm up closely.
He was unsure of the drills….to be expected. So perhaps the warm up meant he wasn’t as prepared as he would like. Handling wise he looked “rusty” in not taking them cleanly.

maybe a bit ponderous, and doesn’t fill the goal has as much as JA but was obviously bigger than Wes.

In the game he looked uncertain, which is clearly to be expected having not played before with these players.
His kicking seems ok when short to defenders, a few longer kicks seemed a bit “shanked” while his decision making on when and who to kick to was also mixed…but again it will be.

Maybe made 1 actual save….diving at the feet of a player in the second half but other than that don’t recall him doing much.
He’s conceded 5…should have done better on their 5th and hard to say with the other 4.

Looks like he’s starting now assuming no injuries, so we need to stick by him and help him settle. But as debuts go it certainly wasn’t inspired.
Fingers crossed he will be the keeper we are all hoping!!

Have we ever had a keeper concede 5 in their 1st game??

Before today obviously!!

Weren't just me though.
Also heard many people discussing the keeper after the match with similar opinions.
Aye
So that’s evidence of what exactly?
Only thing I can conclude (confirm) is that there many (many) fuckwits watch Sheffield United !

Weren't just me though.
Also heard many people discussing the keeper after the match with similar opinions.
Care to expand on what you thought was so poor about him?

Only a good few said McAtee was shit on here when he first arrived, only to jizz on the curtains about him these days....

I personally feel you are being very short sighted when it comes to the actual problems.

Not the best debut for the lad but equally not the best circumstances. I still think Wes is our No.1. Hopefully they push each to be better. I still think wes is good enough we just need a better team
infront of him. I think today partially confirms that.

Absolute bolloxs , I’d be more concerned with the WWF wrestler in defence ,
Anel who’s been fucking wank all season Our defence our strong point last year has been atrocious
I’m surprised we’ve not conceded more penalties with the wrestling going on at every set piece
Our midfield with Norwood ( who unfortunately ) is not up to this standard along with runaround Ben are way to slowwwwww
2pens 1worldie and another good effort
5 th maybe should have done better
But fuckme don’t start on the lad already
Ramsdale despite his opinion was wank for first half of relegation season

Wes is a decent champ keeper at best who is past his prime. Always signed by wilder as a back up and if he had started the season as manager we would have bought a keeper in the summer It was always going to end this way.

Davies isn’t good enough and he held out for more money in the summer when heckingbottom wanted him to stay. Even though he plays 5 games per season he needed convincing to sign a contract extension. Should never have got his extension.

Amissah is unproven and seems to be unsure of signing a new deal, he’s done nothin for the club yet and we owe him nothing so I’d happily see that attitude out the door if he doesn’t want to agree a deal

Ivo Grbic - Whatever you think of him if you want to judge after one game that’s your choice but clearly wanted to be here and is an international keeper who’s been backing up one of the best 5 keepers in the world. Out of all the above he gets my vote by a country mile. Long contract, good age, experience and stability.

Let’s not forget - next year it will be Norwich, Watford, Bristol City and not Liverpool, Man City & Newcastle.

Ultimately as long as we improve the sorry state of the club this season its a success regardless of league position. It’s all a work In progress.

My thoughts are if a keeper has to face 20 shots a game he is going to f--k up on the odd shot compared to a keeper who has a decent defence in front of him who and faces just 4 or 5 shots a game . Law of averages really .

My thoughts are if a keeper has to face 20 shots a game he is going to f--k up on the odd shot compared to a keeper who has a decent defence in front of him who and faces just 4 or 5 shots a game . Law of averages really .
He had 6 shots on target today. Just for your reference.

He had 6 shots on target today. Just for your reference.
I am not on about today i am on about the whole season .Our keepers who ever that might be have had to face more shots than any other keeper in the prem

Whilst I would never dream of writing any player off based on a single game , I have to say that his overall performance today was a cause for concern .

I accept that the lad has only been with us for a very short time and barely trained with us etc. , but those factors do not do not mitigate the fact that at first sight , there appear to be a number of flaws in his overall ability and technique .

On the Matchday thread , someone quite perceptively asked the question - “ Why does he seem to lose all height when he dives to one side “? This was certainly the case with the first goal which I don’t believe was in any way unstoppable and this was something he had done a few minutes earlier from a shot from Ferguson and later one from Jao Pedro , both of which fortunately went over the bar .

If you don’t believe me , check out the angle of his body on these three occasions which is that of being almost parallel to the ground when most PL quality goalkeepers would have been much closer to 45 degrees and pushing it over the bar .

Add to that the fact that the ball into the box for the earlier disallowed goal was there for the taking while he remained rooted to his line and his less than impressive attempt to prevent the final goal and you have all the ingredients for a performance which was to say at the very least , less than memorable .

My only crumb of comfort and hope for optimism in this , is that Aaron Ramsdale was equally suspect and unimpressive in his earlier games for us but turned out to be one worth £25 million .

I very much doubt that this will be the outcome in this case , but only time will tell .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom