New deal for Wallace

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Good news about a genuine young lad who has a no-fuss, no-nonsense attitude. 6 foot tall, pace and a good left foot. Good business and encouraging for the future if type of character is the yardstick.

When I first saw this headline on the BBC Sport site, I though we'd gone & given James Wallace a new 5-year deal following his latest comeback...

But, no. It's young Kieran - given an extended deal up to summer 2018. Richly deserved, I'd say, on this season's performances.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34846862
Great news, lots more to come from this lad. Looks a very tidy player and has adapted to fullback very quickly

They'd actually be inclined to work harder, to earn themselves an extension through the correct procedure and not a 2 year knee-jerk of a contract after a few games at an acceptable level.

I must have missed all the hard work those whose contracts run out this summer have been putting in. I must have missed them crawling off the pitch in exhaustion..

One thing that negates your entire argument straight off, is the fact that the player in question isn't worth anywhere near £2m, and if you think he is then that'll explain the reasoning behind your ridiculous points. I'd get rid of him for nothing. Nothing more than a mid-table - low league one player and I don't see him ever exceeding that.

Your little problem can also be solved by only offering a contract extension when that player has already impressed to the level that Premier League clubs may be interested. This hasn't happened.

It's weighing up the accumulation of dross against the prospect we might lose out to a Premier League club. And since he isn't and hasn't shown any signs of being anywhere near worthy of a bid from the leagues above, one can only conclude it will be yet another waste of 2 years wages and yet another really poor show of management from Adkins.

Agree with Barny on this one.

Its a different story if a player is coming through the Academy and has top class ability i.e. Kyle Walker / Harry Maguire or a young talent we've signed like Che Adams. Then definitely get them on longer contracts.

But giving someone like Kieran Wallace a contract until 2018 is stupid. I'm not sure if its Adkins decision or the powers above, either way, another example of poor decisions and poor club management.

Our aspirations as a club should be at the very least in the top half of the Championship by 2018. Is Kieran Wallace going to be in that side if we are in that position???...I highly doubt it.

Kieran Wallace's performance have been decent this season, and why is that?? Probably because he's been playing for a new contract. Now he's got one, you watch his performance levels and motivation drop. I'm all for signing young, hungry players - but don't take away that hunger by giving them long contracts and security - especially if they haven't really earned it.

They should have given him a year's extension until 2017 with an incentive that he makes himself a first team regular, and then he can negotiate for a new contract this time next year.

He's not currently worth 250K and who in this league or above would want him? So all the power is with the club.

Instead we now have a fringe player who has yet to prove himself, on a contract until mid 2018! I highly doubt that Kieran Wallace will be a first team regular for us in 2018 - the only way he will be is if we are still scraping around in this division or lower.

What's crazy is that he's been given a longer contract than we'd give a manager at the club. A player who's distinctly average.

Again - the club not learning from past mistakes. Really is baffling.

Instead we now have a fringe player who has yet to prove himself, on a contract until mid 2018! I highly doubt that Kieran Wallace will be a first team regular for us in 2018 - the only way he will be is if we are still scraping around in this division or lower.

He's not going to be on stupid money so why is this a big deal? We're tying up a 20 year old kid down for the next 2+ seasons, he's shown himself as at worst a competent squad player, and could easily improve beyond that. If not, there's really not much downside. Besides which, do you want a player that's likely to be on £fuckall/week given where we got him from to be pissed off that he's quite likely underpaid?

He's not going to be on stupid money so why is this a big deal? We're tying up a 20 year old kid down for the next 2+ seasons, he's shown himself as at worst a competent squad player, and could easily improve beyond that. If not, there's really not much downside. Besides which, do you want a player that's likely to be on £fuckall/week given where we got him from to be pissed off that he's quite likely underpaid?
He won't be underpaid, you know how foolish the club are.

Either way, doesn't detract from the fact it's a big waste of money.

You can still pay him what he's worth, but just give him a year extension. It's not like he's going to go anywhere is it. If he improves in that time then give him a better deal. The logic would be that if he improves - then that we would see an impact on the teams performances and results.

I'm not against renewing his contract, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it. But a contract until mid 2018 is excessive. Especially given the mistakes we've made with giving players long contracts who aren't good enough.

The bigger picture, and one I highlighted on another thread yesterday, is that the way the club is ran is very poor. I'm not talking about McCabe here - I'm talking about the Chairman and the CEO / or Managing Director, the men responsible for making football decisions and running the football club on a daily basis. The men in those positions over the past 5 years have done a terrible job, which has resulted in us being where we are right now.

And in my opinion, this little example of giving a player of Kieran Wallace's caliber a contract until mid 2018 is another example of the poor club management.

[QUOTE="Alfreton14Blade, post: 8730 Richly deserved, I'd say, on this season's performances.[/QUOTE].
Last season as well. I recall him playing in midfield in what was his first game (I believe) for the club at Fleetwood and being impressed With his composure and confidence at only 19 years of age

You can still pay him what he's worth, but just give him a year extension. It's not like he's going to go anywhere is it. If he improves in that time then give him a better deal. The logic would be that if he improves - then that we would see an impact on the teams performances and results.

I'm not against renewing his contract, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it. But a contract until mid 2018 is excessive. Especially given the mistakes we've made with giving players long contracts who aren't good enough.

The bigger picture, and one I highlighted on another thread yesterday, is that the way the club is ran is very poor. I'm not talking about McCabe here - I'm talking about the Chairman and the CEO / or Managing Director, the men responsible for making football decisions and running the football club on a daily basis. The men in those positions over the past 5 years have done a terrible job, which has resulted in us being where we are right now.

And in my opinion, this little example of giving a player of Kieran Wallace's caliber a contract until mid 2018 is another example of the poor club management.
Get to 2018 and we'll be wondering why on earth we gave him a contract on the basis of a few games performing to mid-lower league one standard. It's as though that's the standard Adkins seems to be after, which is hardly a promising footing for the volume of decisions that await next summer. He's really showing his true colours now.

I've just read through this post thinking something doesn't add up. Then I've realised, for the first time ever forum village idiot Barnyblade got me to use the ignore function. This is what happens.

Those who say use it and it stops these pricks for bothering you - it seems it doesn't.

Foxy - please ban this excuse for a human being.

UTB

Get to 2018 and we'll be wondering why on earth we gave him a contract on the basis of a few games performing to mid-lower league one standard. It's as though that's the standard Adkins seems to be after, which is hardly a promising footing for the volume of decisions that await next summer. He's really showing his true colours now.

When's your contract up Barny? Surely there's some Premier League club forum that's after you? Or a stint on PorkTalk maybe, they must have put a bid in? :)

I've just read through this post thinking something doesn't add up. Then I've realised, for the first time ever forum village idiot Barnyblade got me to use the ignore function. This is what happens.

Those who say use it and it stops these pricks for bothering you - it seems it doesn't.

Foxy - please ban this excuse for a human being.

UTB
So you put me on ignore but I still managed to bother you?

199fc1991d79d23592e4d467d3fd605721d7f238e9ffabc68e558542819e9a85.jpg

When's your contract up Barny? Surely there's some Premier League club forum that's after you? Or a stint on PorkTalk maybe, they must have put a bid in? :)
You didn't increase the text of my post and then come up with some witty line underneath.

Up your game. Those comedy awards don't earn themselves...

So you put me on ignore but I still managed to bother you?

199fc1991d79d23592e4d467d3fd605721d7f238e9ffabc68e558542819e9a85.jpg
I just realised that I'd have to constantly read your trolling through the replies of other people, which was worse than ignoring you.

Whilst we're discussing logic, why not explain to the forum why you repeatedly "called me out", pronounced I'd "bottled it", then literally shat your pants when I offered you the chance to meet?

Now that's puddled logic.

UTB

Obviously the lad offers something none of the Academy prospects offer so I don't see a great deal wrong with the contract offer. Who or if NA offers contracts to the 13/14 who's contract terminate in June will and should attract more debate. Something I look forward to, will he take this opportunity to have major clear out or not we will see.

I just realised that I'd have to constantly read your trolling through the replies of other people, which was worse than ignoring you.

Whilst we're discussing logic, why not explain to the forum why you repeatedly "called me out", pronounced I'd "bottled it", then literally shat your pants when I offered you the chance to meet?

UTB
nqQhmQgNXk-2.png

UTB
Don't be getting all wound up because I pointed out one of many clear displays of an intelligence deficiency on your part.

And because I thought better of meeting some low life from the internet, that constitutes shitting my pants? Without trying to act a big man(I am a bit), if you actually saw me I could guarantee you wouldn't be claiming I'm scared of you. I've disagreed with many on here but to call them a cunt just shows you for what you are, a scummy reject.

My advice to you would be to go careful with the insults, because you might end up arranging to meet someone without as much concern for the professional implications of any potential consequences. i.e a fight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be getting all wound up because I pointed out one of many clear displays of an intelligence deficiency on your part.

And because I thought better of meeting some low life from the internet, that constitutes shitting my pants? Without trying to act a big man(I am a bit), if you actually saw me I could guarantee you wouldn't be claiming I'm scared of you. I've disagreed with many on here but to call them a cunt just shows you for what you are, a scummy reject.

My advice to you would be to go careful with the insults, because you might end up arranging to meet someone without as much concern for the professional implications of any potential consequences. i.e a fight.
:D

UTB

I don't have a problem with this contract extension either as it shouldn't be that much, what i do find strange though is why have we given a player an extension just after bombing him out of the squad all together? Surely this is the right time for the lad to be learning the ropes and therefore should be atleast on the bench?

He's an ideal squad player who has bundles of energy and has the appetite a player should do at his age to get on the ball and try things. I admit i wrote him off way too early last year which is something i don't normally do but i took exception to this lad, i could still be proved right but i'm now willing to give him a chance and see if he can hopefully prove me wrong which i really am hoping for. The lad couldn't even pass water or even take a set piece last season so i did have my reasons but maybe he was showing a sign of nerves as a young lad playing at a very big club compared to the club he was at, good luck Kieron.

It does seem a depressing view of how poor our squad is and how low supporters expectations have slipped, that two of the most lauded members of it, were playing their football in the Northern Premier League just twelve months ago? :(

It does seem a depressing view of how poor our squad is and how low supporters expectations have slipped, that two of the most lauded members of it, were playing their football in the Northern Premier League just twelve months ago? :(

I view it more of a reminder that actually instead of signing people on large wages and questionable fitness that are slipping down the leagues as their abilities deteriorate there's talent available in the leagues below worth finding.

Remind me, how long ago was it that the Premier League's top scorer was playing for Stocksbridge Park Steels?

Reasons to like this deal:

1. Wallace was not very good last year and was better this year: he might continue to improve

2. I suspect that the new deal is not too expensive.

3. We have renewed K Wallace's contract, not J Wallace

4. This makes it more likely we will be rid of McEverley at some point soon

Back
Top Bottom