Pre-Season 17/18 Nathan Thomas

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Strange signing that one, obvious ability but we don't play wingers, if we ever changed to 4-4-2 I think he would do a decent job, case of right club wrong time for the lad

To be honest we have made some very strange signings and our scouting system must improve. Players like Leonard / Heneghan / Thomas have been a waste of money thus far.

You can't say Leonard's been a waste really, he's filled in when required, and we needed that versatility a few times last season.

To be honest we have made some very strange signings and our scouting system must improve. Players like Leonard / Heneghan / Thomas have been a waste of money thus far.
Championship side operating on a lower than average budget doesn't get every single signing perfect shock.

You can't say Leonard's been a waste really, he's filled in when required, and we needed that versatility a few times last season.

Is that what we chased for a year for, for him to come and "fill in"?

Let's not bullshit about the bush - he's been a major disappointment this kid. He's added nothing to the squad - and in my estimation if he doesn't break into the first team in the next six months and start showing us why Wilder had such faith and persisted so much to get him, he'll be gone in January. I don't think he's a bad footballer - he's just not showed that he's a very good one or any improvement over what we already had - and that's not the point of signing new players y'see?

Let's not bullshit about the bush - he's been a major disappointment this kid. He's added nothing to the squad - and in my estimation if he doesn't break into the first team in the next six months and start showing us why Wilder had such faith and persisted so much to get him, he'll be gone in January. I don't think he's a bad footballer - he's just not showed that he's a very good one or any improvement over what we already had - and that's not the point of signing new players y'see?
Agree to an extent. Personally thought he looks a decent player when he comes on and plays. I'd chose him over lundstrum and Evans if I'm honest.

Nathan Thomas (@Naththomas19) Tweeted:
RT @Official_NCFC: ⚽️ @Naththomas19 https://t.co/r37wsKrZH2

See he's scored a decent shot. One player id love to come back and make a position his own. Bags of pace.

I think I saw every game he played for us, including the friendlies, and I quite liked him. The thing that struck me about him was that he would have a pop at goal from distance, which few of our lads seemed to be doing at the time. He's never really been given much of a chance and I think that's more down to the system we play than his ability. And as you say, he does have something no-one else at the club has got much of, pace. I trust that Wilder and Knill know his capabilities better than me though and if they think the lad isn't up to the mark then fair enough. Maybe he's going to one of these "late-developers" and further time elsewhere will do him good?

I think I saw every game he played for us, including the friendlies, and I quite liked him. The thing that struck me about him was that he would have a pop at goal from distance, which few of our lads seemed to be doing at the time. He's never really been given much of a chance and I think that's more down to the system we play than his ability. And as you say, he does have something no-one else at the club has got much of, pace. I trust that Wilder and Knill know his capabilities better than me though and if they think the lad isn't up to the mark then fair enough. Maybe he's going to one of these "late-developers" and further time elsewhere will do him good?
I think he'll come on to have a role for us without a doubt. And I'd much rather a player be out on loan, getting regular game time as opposed to sitting either on the bench or reserves having part bit roles. Will aid his development playing regularly. Should be more or less guaranteed game time at notts county.

Agree to an extent. Personally thought he looks a decent player when he comes on and plays. I'd chose him over lundstrum and Evans if I'm honest.

I thought at the very least he'd be a quicker and more athletic version of Monty.

I don't even have a memory of Leonard actually being on the pitch for us, which is weird.

I thought at the very least he'd be a quicker and more athletic version of Monty.

I don't even have a memory of Leonard actually being on the pitch for us, which is weird.
He's pretty much that. But he can pass short and long. Has a wicked shot from distance too. Hope to see more of him this coming season. Because I can only remember him a handful of times!

Wilder has said all along he's building for the future.
Leonard has had more chance than Holmes, Hennaghan, Thomas, and he still makes the bench.
You may have been disappointed in him, but I'm guessing CW and AK not so much??
These lads have been brought in, as the gaffer sees something, and going on what they've done with the likes of Coutts, Fleck, Duffy, Clarke, JOC, Baldock............ that they know what they're doing and they'll pay off later.
If they don't make the grade straight away, they get loaned and monitored, if it still doesn't work, they'll be released or sold.
We've got no reason to question CW in his acquisitions, he's one of us, and as a proper fan, he won't do anything to harm the club.

Yeah weird how some signings work and some don't.

We should also do more winning. Last year we drew and lost some games. This year we should just win all the games.

Counter that with:
Fleck
O'Connell
Egan
Stearman
Blackman
Henderson
Clarke
Duffy
Baldock
Jake Wright Senior

Percentage of 'failures' ?

Some Blades ( no disrespect intended) need to realize that players need time to mature and adapt to there surroundings.
Not every signing is going to work from the off , will our manager make dud signings (which manager doesn’t ) , of course he will
Our fans at times love to a have a scapegoat
ready to slag off ,
Our manger , his back room staff and our players in my book have earned the right over the last few (2) seasons to have a bit of slack cut for them , however shit displays like Dull away Bolton at home , need to , and deserve to be called out by all and sundry,
I wouldn’t have resigned Ched , but that’s a personal opinion I most certainly , wouldn’t jeer or sarcastically clap one of our own , I leave that abuse for every opponent we play against
UTB
D

Counter that with:
Fleck
O'Connell
Egan
Stearman
Blackman
Henderson
Clarke
Duffy
Baldock
Jake Wright Senior

Percentage of 'failures' ?

Playing devil's advocate:

Henderson has yet to play a game. Neither has Egan. I'm not sure how they can be classed as successes yet? Pretty sure Nosworthy was meant to be good....

Also, there are those on here who don't rate Stearman as a success (I'm not one of them). Also those who doubt other signings like Lundstram and Evans (which I feel is harsh)

Below appears to be the general consensus on Chris' signings. Whilst it's fair to say that we had a relatively low budget last season, we had a relatively high one the year before.

So, successes:

Fleck
O'Connell
Blackman
Clarke
Duffy
Baldock
Jake Wright Senior

Jury's out:

Stearman
L.Evans
Lundstram
Hanson
CCV
Stevens
Dolandson
Moore
O'Shea
EEL
Chapman
Riley
Brown
Lafferty

Not successes (at least, not yet):

Leanoard
Heneghan
Thomas
Lavery
C. Evans
Holmes
Wilson
Carruthers
Hussey

So, overall, it looks fairly balanced. It's worth pointing out that this is unfair on a few (like Moore or Stevens who were clearly successes in League 1 but less so last season) so probably a bit harsh.

If I were to make a comment about our fabled incredible head scout. This season we've thus far signed a keeper who was successfully on loan to league 1 the season before (fairly logical), John Egan (we all knew about John Egan) and McGoldrick (A player well known in this league who randomly became available).

Player recruitment will always be a gamble even for the big clubs in the land.

I would class these as a success or relative successes as they are current first team players that are relied upon for this season

Fleck
O'Connell
Clarke
Duffy
Baldock
Jake Wright Senior
Stearman
L.Evans
Lundstram
Stevens
Moore
Leonard
Holmes

So 13 first team players that were purchased over the last 2 years that have a good chance of starting games. I'd call that a success but of course there are others that don't make the grade. Look back to the previous 2/3 managers recruits - there must be far more cast offs then compared to under CW now.

If I was to pick a team for Saturday it would be like this:

Moore/Henderson (CW)

Basham
Egan (CW)
O'Connell (CW)

Baldock (CW)
Stevens/RND (CW)

Evans (CW)
Fleck (CW)
Duffy (CW)

Sharp
McGoldrick (CW)

That leaves 2 players that were not signed by CW - I would call that successful in the grand scheme of things. None of the players that have not made the grade have been expensive mistakes.

All about opinions of course

UTMB

Think he must have one of the best goals per game stats last season

Wilder has said all along he's building for the future.
Leonard has had more chance than Holmes, Hennaghan, Thomas, and he still makes the bench.
You may have been disappointed in him, but I'm guessing CW and AK not so much??
These lads have been brought in, as the gaffer sees something, and going on what they've done with the likes of Coutts, Fleck, Duffy, Clarke, JOC, Baldock............ that they know what they're doing and they'll pay off later.
If they don't make the grade straight away, they get loaned and monitored, if it still doesn't work, they'll be released or sold.
We've got no reason to question CW in his acquisitions, he's one of us, and as a proper fan, he won't do anything to harm the club.
Well said that man !
We have no reason to doubt Wilder - having said that, he cant get everything right.

Grouping signings into success and failures is a pointless exercise to me. The measure of our success is our move from underachieving league 1 side to top half championship team. If we've signed so much shit surely we'd still be struggling.

The assumption that every signing we make will displace first teamers is also false. Leonard, Evans and Lundstram are often competing for 1 spot in the team. It took Coutts nearly 2 seasons to become the Coutts we know and love yet every time one of these three has a bad game plenty of posters are on the forum wanting to bin them off.

robbiez666 suggests that the scout isn't doing his job because we're only signing players we all know this Summer when that was Wilder's stated recruitment policy with this Summer's budget. I believe our Chief Scout and the management will have watched them much more than us and decided they're the ones we want. There's been a lot of clamour on here for us to sign Marriott from Peterborough. It might be that our scouts have watched him and decided he might not have what it takes to play at a higher level, or is too big a gamble at the price Derby paid. If you could sign any old player from the lower leagues and they were successful it would be easy but most of them fail to make the step up.

At the end of the day I believe our squad is far stronger than it was on the day that Wilder and his team joined us so I'm happy.

Back
Top Bottom