United 1 Bournemouth 3 - Report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
After the positive results before the international break, United returned to action against a fellow struggler AFC Bournemouth at Bramall Lane. Billed as a game that the Blades could win and put themselves closer to the Cherries, in the end not only were United beaten but were defeated in a manner that left many home fans leaving long before the final whistle. The performance was wholly unacceptable and serious questions now need to be asked of the management and coaching team. The players individually and collectively were simply miles off their opponents who looked leagues above them on the day and in the end 1-3 flattered the home side.

Manager Heckingbottom opted to leave returnees Ahmedhodzic and McBurnie on the bench and went with an unchanged line up with just one striker up front at home. The Cherries named former Blade David Brooks on the bench and he got an excellent ovation from the home fans after his brave battle with cancer.

The game started in bitterly cold conditions but the away side settled much better as they moved it around crisply and the early tone was set with the Blades in a deep defensive block and seemingly happy to sit back. Semenyo and Tavernier were getting in good areas and Bogle and Thomas were not sharp or tight enough. Solanke had an effort blocked and then the away side won an early corner. United could not get out and it was not a surprise when the opener came. Semenyo ran through unopposed past Thomas and slipped a ball into the path of TAVERNIER who came inside Trusty too easy and finished cooly past an exposed Foderingham. It was all so easy and happened in similar fashion to the goal Brighton scored in the previous game. Not one defender put in a challenge as the away side simply ran through.

The away side could scent blood and came again with Tavernier again in on goal and Robinson had to make the block as the shot lacked power. The chances kept coming though with Kluivert darting in the channel and putting an effort wide with a raking shot before Solanke’s shot went into the side netting. It was another first half that was embarrassingly one side and United had barely produced a move or attack of note with Archer completely isolated. McAtee finally had the ball in the visiting half but twice he overhit his passes and saw Bournemouth back on the ball quickly and foraging at the Blades defence again.

Norwood kicked the ball away and given a yellow card and United were unable to even win the 50-50 challenges or loose balls as a bigger, more mobile, and sadly more skilled side just picked them off and ran through often unopposed. It should have been another goal as Tavernier got in but wasted a golden chance blazing over but the ease in which clear chances were created was really concerning. Just before the half time whistle, disaster struck for United and Foderingham. The ball was played towards the United left hand channel and as the home keeper came out, he miscontrolled the ball and was robbed by KLUIVERT. The ball was clipped into the unguarded net and it was 0-2. Comical defending from the Blades and the half time whistle came soon after and boos rang out from the home fans whose side had offered absolutely nothing.

The second half saw changes made with McBurnie replacing the desperately disappointing Souza and Ahmedhodzic on for Bogle. Kelly came off with a knock and Kerkez replaced him. Semenyo had a curling effort wide but the game was effectively ended not long after the break. The ball had hit the referee as United tried to strike up a rare attack drawing more frustration from the crowd so the ball was dropped from the spot it hit him. Thomas inexplicably waited after it dropped and Bournemouth nipped in and were on the attack after Hamer had got tackled soon after. The ball was switched down to the right-hand side and Smith was able to centre under no pressure. TAVERNIER came in and finished in front of goal easily as Ahmedhodzic and the rest of the Blades defence stood inexplicably motionless. It was an embarrassingly bad goal but this was in keeping with all those conceded on the day. United players swarmed round the referee but it was all a bit desperate and worryingly many did not seem to know the rules. Thomas was booked for his bizarre protestation as he quickly darted to the referee. It was a shame he had not been as quick in dealing with the drop ball and the winger coming at him only moments before.

Bournemouth sensed this could be an absolute hammering and Semenyo was denied by Foderingham not long after and Solanke should have finished the rebound as it came out. United finally had a chance when the ball was finally in the Bournemouth box. Ahmedhodzic freed Baldock and his cross fell to McBurnie but his effort was blocked and McAtee blazed over horrible. It had taken over an hour for the Blades to fashion an attempt and even then the keeper still did not have to make a save.

Osborn came on for Thomas but the game continued to be extremely one sided and comfortable. Bournemouth profited from Baldock’s loose defending after another run from the excellent Semenyo but the shot was pushed away from Foderingham who went after the loose ball leaving United fans concerned as he left his box again. Christie then toe poked goalwards and Foderingham had to make a smart save at his near post.

Sinisterra and Billing were on for Kluivert and Semenyo but the visitors were under no pressure at all in an easy an afternoon as they will have all season. The frustrations for the home side were clear as Baldock was rightly booked for stupidly kicking the ball at an opponent on the floor. There was then a brewhaha as players became tangled up in a melee. Predictably Robinson and McBurnie were involved from United and the former was booked, along with substitute Billing from the visitors. There was a check for a red card but it was unclear who this was for and no further action was taken.

Tavernier had a shot saved at the near post and Sinisterra also had an effort after he twisted inside.

<AT THIS POINT I LEFT BUT HAVE USED OTHER SOURCES FOR BELOW!>

Fleck and Osula came on and the young striker had a shot at the near post – the first on goal for the Blades – that Neto pushed round the post. There was 7 minutes of stoppage time which was booed loudly by the home fans but this extra time at least afforded the chance for United to get a consolation goal as Baldock’s deep cross was headed back across and into the corner from MCBURNIE. The final whistle came soon after to loud boos from the fans that had stayed till the bitter end in a desperately disappointing afternoon.

United – Absolutely atrocious. I actually thought it was as bad as Newcastle, if not worse. Make no mistake only bad finishing prevented Bournemouth from getting close to that scoreline. United at least in that game had a decent opening 20 minutes. I have absolutely no positives to take from this game (maybe the cameo from Osula?). It was desperate stuff. We did not fight, tackle, run, press or compete off the ball. We were miles off our opponents. We let them just run past us time after time and it was like we were afraid to tackle or get stuck in. I had no idea what the approach was? We simply had no idea how to go from point A to point B, let alone get up the field and fashion an attack or chance. The players literally look like they have not trained or have any idea what to do. I cannot fathom what they are doing in training. Either they are not understanding his instructions or are simply not executing them – maybe that is the problem? The plan seems to be sit in, do not concede if we can and then try and do better in the second half. It is a laughable plan but born maybe out of the fact we have a bunch of unfit, weak, and unskilled players. They are miles of the level required and we have a number of mid table Championship players at best. There are some that are more League One level (Thomas, Bogle, Souza). Despite the deficiencies of the players and the fact we are levels off our opposition weekly – the complete lack of almost application and willingness to do the things that is so called engrained with us (out run, out fight and out play) are just not there.

I have been very honest in not affording as much blame at Heckingbottom and feel strongly the root of the issues are at the top. The laughable way we set up for the season, the lack of proper support to get players and a team that can compete and have a go. However, whilst before I have thought that sacking him is not the answer and we will still go down, I am now firmly in the camp that he has to go. The performances at the moment are appalling. We are second best by a long way every week. The Baldock theatrics and the red card for Brighton masked two average to poor performances despite the better results. The reality is we are not getting any better and yesterday was a new nadir for me. Listening to his post match comments, I became even angrier as he talked about nonsense around stats and said Bournemouth would always run faster. He then says we fell below the standards we set most of the season! We have been nearly as bad as that for long spells. Today just took it to a new level.

In terms of the game, the tactics I have no idea what they were? This has been the case all season and there is not even a plan at all to do anything where we can hurt teams let alone not just sit back and defend. The team selection was negative and safe. We surely had to try and go forward and attack a team near us in the table but no it was the same approach which was just sit back and concede possession and do not even try to attack. At home. To Bournemouth. That is insulting to our fans. The players do not keep the ball or try and get hold of it but maybe as they are so slow/cannot run they just get overrun by every other team. There has to be a better plan for us to get hold of more ball and stop teams just running through us? Even if we swamp midfield and make it messy. We are defending but not defending! It is bizarre.

We have Hamer and McAtee who seem to be so far out of the game and Souza and Norwood are essentially bollards. I said bollards. They cannot and no not run, do not cover runners through, do not protect the defence and when they have it do nothing with it. Souza just plays it sideways and back and Norwood just kicks it forward to no one. Archer may as well not play although he does not work hard enough either. The defence are terrible exposed and I feel that Trusty, Baldock and Robinson are just given so much to do with players swarming at them constantly. However these three were awful too yesterday. The two wing backs would not get in most Championship teams. They are abject and it is hard to see them playing against players that are so much better than them in pace, movement and thought. We started the game on the back foot and this continued throughout. They just ran through us and we barely even contested them.

The first goal was just pathetic but they could have scored 4 or 5 more. 2-0 flattered us at half time. Of course, Wes rightly will get pelters and it was appalling but the number of times we just kept going back to him was ridiculous. He is awful with his feet so let us keeping playing it back! McBurnie and Anel come on but we do not really improve with the latter continuing to show he is another not up to this level – the ball watching he showed on the third and other chances was really startling but he has done that all season. The only fight we showed was the scuffle after Baldock’s mindless act. The rest of the game was insipid and the players body language was awful. It was as if they know they not good enough so why bother? The game was done effectively at half time but second half they had as many chances as the first half and again could have scored 4 or 5 more. The late goal and final score masks really what it should have been – a 0-5 or 0-6 defeat at least. It was so one sided and this is a team that is wretched away from home. They probably could not believe how easy it was and how bad we were.

There will be lots of talk about who plays and where they play and tactics and formations. Rightly so but it is more basic than that – we have to get the basics right in terms of effort, pressing, running and tackling. We do those things then we can get a foothold in games maybe. Maybe the players are just not fit or strong enough but I fail to see how teams are looking so much better than us in these aspects as well as skill (which you expect). I cannot see how we can do any worse under another manager. At the moment we have no plan, approach, or idea how to match teams or even compete in games. That is the reason that despite the problems being far bigger at the top of the club, we have to make a change – to give the fans some hope. We are going down and are miles out of our depth but we need some life from the club/team and currently we have none. Do I expect them to act? Probably not. The owner is never here as is most of the board. They seem disinterested. We hear nothing about any change of ownership anymore and it seems like we are completely rudderless off the field. We are a Premier League club in name but we are acting nowhere near like one, on of off the field. We got there on merit of course but we are playing at it and do not seem to have any interest in trying to be there.

I think they will keep him another week and I expect Burnley to get their first win next season – they are bad but will still beat us I feel and then he will go. I personally would make the change this week. The players/team needs new impetus, new ideas and a new voice. We all said wait for the teams we might have a chance against. Well, we saw yesterday against a side billed as a team we need to get above, they were leagues above us, not places in terms of performance. It was so one sided it was incredible. If we had lost by battling or fighting or moments of real quality, I could live with that but we were outplayed and outworked. Bramall Lane was half empty by the end and that is a bad look for the ownership and for a team to be booed off at half time and full time says it all. We are not even in December and whilst points wise we still not miles off the bottom three, the reality is we all know we are going down and probably with a very low points total (around if not worse than Derby’s). Luton are fighting hard and Everton will pull away despite the points deduction. It is a really depressing time as you sense if we go down as expected, then we will not bounce back. We will be losing money again and I cannot see any assets we can make the money we will need. There is not one player that any Premier League team would want. The talk of Souza and Hamer having bigger deals so being assets only work if teams want them. Not even sure Hamer is up to this level. Of course, Archer and McAtee will go back. With many out of contract, we will literally have to build a new team and with a new manager too. With no sign of any change in ownership we are just plateauing to nowhere – you sense that we w ill not be be anywhere near this level for a very long time without big investment and by going up we have simply kicked the can down the road. I worry for the future of the club as we look completely rudderless at the moment. Being in the Premier League is kind of masking that but also exposing it now perhaps too as we see how far off we are so many clubs.

Ratings:

Foderingham 4/10 – His mark may seem high maybe after his error. Of course, this was awful and he has form for this (Burnley and Middlesbrough goals conceded in the last few seasons) and he is not good with his feet at all. It was a howler but we did keep going back to him again and again. Most good goalkeepers at the higher level are good with their feet. He is not and his kicking is really poor. Outside of this, the first goal he had little chance but hand was a bit weak on the third but he did make 4 or 5 decent saves including one very good one. The fact he was our outstanding (well best of a bad bunch) player maybe despite the dreadful mistake and showing he is another not up to this level, sums it up.

Bogle 2.5/10 – Forgot he was even playing when it was announced he was being replaced at half time. This summed him up. Nowhere near his man and he just stood off as they attacked at will. Offered nothing going forward. Defensively he is nowhere near where you need to be for a wing or full back.

Thomas 1/10 – Another appalling display. Miscontrols, miskicks, poor passes, bad marking and just run past time after time. The first goal he just lets his man run inside him and this happened all game. Semenyo had a field day against him. Going forward he cannot cross or cause any threats. The drop ball incident summed it up. What was he doing? Incredible he even appeals this. Just stupid. They then go down and he still stands off his man as they crossed and scored. He gets nowhere near his man, is awful on the ball, cannot tackle and has no real redeemable positive features. Looks to be playing a few divisions too high. We must send him back in January.

Robinson 3/10 – He is one that normally competes and gets stuck in at least but today he was not at it either and joined the whole team really in being completely second best. They had quick and strong forward and just went through us. He did make one tackle first half but so many times strikers had free shots/chances as we just all stood around to a man. He got stupidly involved after the Baldock incident and another day might have got sent off.

Trusty 3.5/10 – Has shown some ok bits but he also has been guilty of really poor defending in goals we have conceded. Another that is not that strong or dominating and not sure he is that quick either. Just looks a bog-standard Championship level centre back to me but maybe with better players around he might improve? Not loads of errors but the first goal is awful as he just lets the man go past him. This happened a few times. Yes, those around were awful and in front too but he did not tackle.

Baldock 2.5/10 – Thought that was one of his worst games for United. He made countless errors and was not alert or marking at all. He then ended up getting petulant (ridiculous when he booted the ball at the man) and his body language was poor. Twice second half he ended up passing them the ball right in front of goal. Had the two crosses that led to the McAtee chance and the goal for McBurnie I suppose but normally he and Robinson are two that do ok but even they were bad today and looked beaten.

Souza 1/10 – I have not understood those defending him at all. He is a charlatan of a footballer. He does nothing. I watched him carefully today. He barely moves on or off the ball and just contributes nothing. He points and blames others and clearly despite his size is not that physical or an imposer. I called him a crap Georges Santos today. I was not joking. A complete passenger. Teams just walk through him. When he gets it he almost has a phobia that he cannot pass or go forward. That is fine if he is tackling, harrying, running, or doing the defensive stuff. He doesn’t though. He does nothing. We have allegedly paid 10 million or more for him. An absolute waste of money and another that we won’t get much back for – hope somehow the deal with the City group means we have some sort of out in the summer when we go down and he goes somewhere else.

Norwood 2.5/10 – Better than Souza. That is not saying much as Norwood was dreadful too. He did not hide as much as Souza and at least did try and kick it forward and got on it a bit! However, he often just punted it forward to no one. He will not carry the ball and cannot run when players go at him. He looks spent physically and you cannot have players like that at this level anymore where everyone is so fast and strong. He is not up to this level anymore and the way we get completely dominated in midfield every week shows we need athletes and legs.

McAtee 3.5/10 – His position means he cannot get close to the attack or help out in midfield and we essentially have two players who play out wide and are just not in the game. He did have a few touches on the ball but overplayed it. Second half blazed one over but he at least got on the ball and tried to dribble/move forward a few times. Did well v Wolves second half but another who has been largely disappointing.

Hamer 3.5/10 – I know a lot will say he is not being used right and I tend to agree. However, he is another not doing enough regardless of whether we could get more out of him playing him more central or deeper. He is overweight and cannot get up and down. He seems knackered after about 10 minutes and another that does not have the physicality/pace needed for this level. His effort levels have dropped off after a good start and he is not affecting games at all. Our midfield just gets run through and as much as Souza and Norwood are getting a lot of blame, the others are not exactly contributing much regardless of tactics/shape. We need much more desire and effort. Him and McAtee are meant to be our ball carriers/creators but they are not doing that. Maybe we see more on the ball with a different manager, formation but I need to see more effort too. Think there is something there with him but he probably regrets coming here.

Archer 3/10 – Completely isolated much of the game He did try and get to the ball a few times first half but it never was given to his feet. I do think he needs to work harder though as at times defenders just stroll out unopposed. Second half I thought he and McBurnie might at least force them back but it did not happen and barely saw anything of him. I would send him back January if they can as we will be as good as down and then he is not going to be here. Better to see Osula and give Traore a go (he looks out of his depth too granted). A signing that has not really worked despite a couple of goals as the sort of player who needs chances and service and we need workers and hold up men probably due to the level we are at. Not sure one player who has come in has really been much of a success.

Subs –

McBurnie 4/10 – He at least got stuck in but he did not affect the game too much really as he and Archer could not link at all and it remained all Bournemouth. He stupidly raised his hands in the skirmish. Good header and now is our joint leading scorer with 2 (Archer, Hamer and OG). Has to start now as one of few who looks ok and can be competitive at this level.

Ahmedhodzic 2.5/10 – Came on and maybe not match fit but switched off on the goal and several other times when they came forward. He is showing he is not that great a defender sadly. Last season he was great going forward and showed against Championship players he was strong and quick but at this level he looks weak and slow – such is the jump. The way he just stands as players move off him is worrying. I thought he would be fine at this level but another that looks like it is too much for him. Did have one run and ball to Baldock second half.

Osborn – Not sure I noticed him much at all but could say the same about them all. He cannot do any worse than Thomas at left wing back or one of the midfielders but that says it all.

Fleck – Not sure I noticed him but I left not long after he came on.

Osula – Apparently he had a good shot and put himself about. As I say I had left! Probably deserves a game as he may offer more than Archer in just being a nuisance.

Manager: Heckingbottom 1/10 – His team selection did not work and his tactics I have no idea on. I have discussed him at length above so will not repeat it but the players seemed to just give up. He looks like he has no idea coaching, man management, motivation, or tactics to get us even competing at this level. We are miles off the opponents every week in everything. He said after the game the fans do not make a decision on whether he goes. I thought that was quite an arrogant statement. Suppose he cannot say anything else and is technically correct but when the fans want a manager out, then he goes. He at best might get one more game but not spoken or seen anyone who wants him to remain now and a change is surely inevitable. Nice guy and did great to get us up (without Ndiaye not sure he does) but he is not up to this level sadly and will probably move back into coaching in academy football you would expect. He got United promoted though and not many manager can say that and has carried himself with a great deal of class through a difficult time. I hope that it does not turn nasty though as he does not deserve that and that is why to prevent it becoming a very toxic Bramall Lane in coming weeks, we need to make the change now.

Bournemouth – Think some thought they would come and be not much better than us and it be a close, scrappy game. In the end they ran all over us, scored three and could have had double or triple that. If they had won by a score similar to Newcastle we could not complain. Won all the 50-50 stuff, headers, tackles, ran more and then on the ball looked like they were playing a different sport. These are one of the poorer teams in the league and we made them look like a side near the top. In truth there looks to be more than 2 divisions between them let alone 2 places. It was so easy for them. They had pace, skill, and athleticism but even more than that their attitude and hunger was far superior. Untroubled really from start to finish. 23 shots away from home sums it up. The only knock on them as sloppy finishing. If they had their shooting boots on, then Hecky probably would not be here now as I type this. It really was that one sided.

Opponent Man of the Match – Take your pick. Every one of their eleven and subs were better than ours to a man and by some way. Tavernier scored two but the lad Semenyo was excellent and caused us all sorts of problems.

Opponent Weak link – Not sure anyone was poor. They all were better. Billing got involved in some daft stuff which was unnecessary when he got booked.

Referee/Officials – Andy Madley. Had the melee to deal with which we caused by Baldock acting like a knob – Robinson and their lad booked. Norwood was booked for petulance first half too. Thomas for moaning when he did not know the rules. The rest of the game was easy as we did not make a tackle hardly and sums it up the nature of 3 of the 4 bookings described. An easy game to referee when one side is so much better and the other team just lies down.

Matchday/Crowd/Coverage – Another 30,000+ crowd and once again wanting the home side to start well and get amongst it and get the crowd involved. Did not happen. Passive and slow and nobody wanted to get hold of the ball. It was the first time I felt (even Newcastle was more disbelief) that fans really started to moan and groan but you could not blame them. The boos at HT and FT and the fact so many left sums it up. We know we don’t have the best of players form this level but fans will not put up with players not working hard enough or even showing some passion/battling qualities. Fans simply will not accept it and the manager will pay the price surely soon after a display like that. As I say I think most knowledgeable fans know the issues lay elsewhere in terms of the overall strategy and where we sit but in terms of match performances, they have been unacceptable and the players looked almost like they had given up yesterday. It was a depressing a performance as I have seen in quite a few years at the Lane – granted a higher level but to watch you team get completely outplayed by a team just above you and also work much harder and the management have presided over that means things started to turn and you sensed that. London Road/Bramall Lane was busier than the ground when I left 10 minutes before the end.

Spot on and 100% agree with everything in the report. Hecky's after match comments pretty much summed up the dire shit we had all watched, pathetic really. I actually think we were killing time in the match and almost made it testimonial pace to keep the scoreline at 3 because another Newcastle was on the cards. Utterly demoralising. PA I wish he would fuck off but doubt that will happen anytime soon. Hecky needs fucking off too if only for the after match comments .

Thanks DB for putting into words how I felt about the game. Still numb from watching that aberration yesterday. Agree it was worse than Newcastle. We were promised that would never happen again yet it has in a relegation 6 pointer. We never showed up and it was a stark reminder that if you fail to physically condition your players to the required standard no matter what plan/ system you are playing to you will get found out and embarrassed.

"Sheffield United were hilarious" Bookmark that comment because if change doesn't happen we'll be seeing that a lot more this season.

We've commented before about the lack of support the manager has had this season but that result can firmly be laid at his door. Its his responsibility to send players out onto the pitch with fire in their bellies in the most important match of the season so far. It didn't happen so questions have to be asked if the players have lost faith with the manager and his tactics or do we have a bunch of half arsed nobodies who don't care about the shirt. I refuse to accept that the players just aren't good enough to compete in the EPL. There is no substitute for working hard which has been absent this season. No one minds losing if the effort is there but the players continue to run out of gas early in the game. The Head of Sports Science and Defence coach should as a minimum be moved on but I fear we will drift on aimlessly consistent with the ostrich like approach from the Board.

Yesterday was the second anniversary of PH's appointment and was undoubtedly the low point of his tenure. He got us into the EPL against all the odds and deserved his chance. The evidence now confirms he's out of his depth and to continue in the same vein and do nothing will cause irreparable damage to the clubs long term future imo.

Excellent summary of the game, thank you Deadbat for the effort you put in every week.

This is the smallest of bars to be raised above but I thought Fleck when he came on didn’t obviously cock anything up and made one chance denying tidy-up. So by default he would be my mom!

Fwiw the VAR check after the melee was because Billing grabbed McBurnie round the neck. Not much in it, though the likes of Grealish and Joao Pedro would have rolled out of the stadium if he’d done it to them.

Good report. He has to go. A wretched, cowardly performance with tactical ineptitude to the fore. A random selection of posters from this board would have set up better than that.

I am sick on Anel not trying. It’s even worse than the shite the likes of Souza and Thomas are serving up as unlike those clowns he actually has ability.

Thanks deadbeat for putting yourself through that to give us a report. If the board won't remove hecky perhaps they could borrow sir Alex's hairdryer and get someone like Sean Bean in to give them a motivational speech. Just (semi) joking but desperate times call for desperate measures...

Agree with most but Fodderingham needed a 1/10 not just for their give away second goal but he thought he was a left back in the second half he doesn’t learn from his mistakes….sorry on reflection 0/10

Souza 1/10 is generous by all accounts. Perhaps 0.5 or 0.25. Poor stuff and how Hecky doesnt see his lack of effort.

I know we are poor but my god try lads.

Completely agree, disgraceful, gutless and pathetic performance from minute 1. He’s got to go now no manager would survive this from a club with ambition. It’s just a shame that the owner can’t match the ambition of the fans. The Prince needs to wake the fuck up- I mean tweeting about Saudi football after the game shows complete lack of self-awareness.

Great report 100% spot on.

Why are we so bad in the transfer market?? when was the last time we signed a player that was an improvement on the guy before? Norwood????

What a shocking return rate

Also. Hard to understand why we lumped it to Archer. He is too small / slight to win it against big defenders. As such we consistently turned the ball over to B/mouth and invited more pressure. This is school boy error stuff!

Thanks for the effort Deadbat. I did stay until the bitter end (and it was very bitter, in every sense). I agree that it was worse than Newcastle, and that the result could have been worse if Bournemouth had put their shooting boots on! In spite of the howler, I felt Wes was our best player and did what he could to keep the score down - he had to because he had no defence in front of him! McBurnie was McBurnie, he scored, but the game was lost when he got on. He really should start. Everyone else was utter garbage. Sadly, I think that Hecky needs to go now, although I haven't a clue who could come in and make a difference.

Subs –

McBurnie 4/10 – He at least got stuck in but he did not affect the game too much really as he and Archer could not link at all and it remained all Bournemouth. He stupidly raised his hands in the skirmish. Good header and now is our joint leading scorer with 2 (Archer, Hamer and OG). Has to start now as one of few who looks ok and can be competitive at this level.

Ahmedhodzic 2.5/10 – Came on and maybe not match fit but switched off on the goal and several other times when they came forward. He is showing he is not that great a defender sadly. Last season he was great going forward and showed against Championship players he was strong and quick but at this level he looks weak and slow – such is the jump. The way he just stands as players move off him is worrying. I thought he would be fine at this level but another that looks like it is too much for him. Did have one run and ball to Baldock second half.

Osborn – Not sure I noticed him much at all but could say the same about them all. He cannot do any worse than Thomas at left wing back or one of the midfielders but that says it all.

Fleck – Not sure I noticed him but I left not long after he came on.

Osula – Apparently he had a good shot and put himself about. As I say I had left! Probably deserves a game as he may offer more than Archer in just being a nuisance.

Manager: Heckingbottom 1/10 – His team selection did not work and his tactics I have no idea on. I have discussed him at length above so will not repeat it but the players seemed to just give up. He looks like he has no idea coaching, man management, motivation, or tactics to get us even competing at this level. We are miles off the opponents every week in everything. He said after the game the fans do not make a decision on whether he goes. I thought that was quite an arrogant statement. Suppose he cannot say anything else and is technically correct but when the fans want a manager out, then he goes. He at best might get one more game but not spoken or seen anyone who wants him to remain now and a change is surely inevitable. Nice guy and did great to get us up (without Ndiaye not sure he does) but he is not up to this level sadly and will probably move back into coaching in academy football you would expect. He got United promoted though and not many manager can say that and has carried himself with a great deal of class through a difficult time. I hope that it does not turn nasty though as he does not deserve that and that is why to prevent it becoming a very toxic Bramall Lane in coming weeks, we need to make the change now.

Bournemouth – Think some thought they would come and be not much better than us and it be a close, scrappy game. In the end they ran all over us, scored three and could have had double or triple that. If they had won by a score similar to Newcastle we could not complain. Won all the 50-50 stuff, headers, tackles, ran more and then on the ball looked like they were playing a different sport. These are one of the poorer teams in the league and we made them look like a side near the top. In truth there looks to be more than 2 divisions between them let alone 2 places. It was so easy for them. They had pace, skill, and athleticism but even more than that their attitude and hunger was far superior. Untroubled really from start to finish. 23 shots away from home sums it up. The only knock on them as sloppy finishing. If they had their shooting boots on, then Hecky probably would not be here now as I type this. It really was that one sided.

Opponent Man of the Match – Take your pick. Every one of their eleven and subs were better than ours to a man and by some way. Tavernier scored two but the lad Semenyo was excellent and caused us all sorts of problems.

Opponent Weak link – Not sure anyone was poor. They all were better. Billing got involved in some daft stuff which was unnecessary when he got booked.

Referee/Officials – Andy Madley. Had the melee to deal with which we caused by Baldock acting like a knob – Robinson and their lad booked. Norwood was booked for petulance first half too. Thomas for moaning when he did not know the rules. The rest of the game was easy as we did not make a tackle hardly and sums it up the nature of 3 of the 4 bookings described. An easy game to referee when one side is so much better and the other team just lies down.

Matchday/Crowd/Coverage – Another 30,000+ crowd and once again wanting the home side to start well and get amongst it and get the crowd involved. Did not happen. Passive and slow and nobody wanted to get hold of the ball. It was the first time I felt (even Newcastle was more disbelief) that fans really started to moan and groan but you could not blame them. The boos at HT and FT and the fact so many left sums it up. We know we don’t have the best of players form this level but fans will not put up with players not working hard enough or even showing some passion/battling qualities. Fans simply will not accept it and the manager will pay the price surely soon after a display like that. As I say I think most knowledgeable fans know the issues lay elsewhere in terms of the overall strategy and where we sit but in terms of match performances, they have been unacceptable and the players looked almost like they had given up yesterday. It was a depressing a performance as I have seen in quite a few years at the Lane – granted a higher level but to watch you team get completely outplayed by a team just above you and also work much harder and the management have presided over that means things started to turn and you sensed that. London Road/Bramall Lane was busier than the ground when I left 10 minutes before the end.
Loads in there that mirrors how I feel. Saw the teamsheet, was absolutely non plussed as to how we would attack. Souza and Norwood together is a force multiplier. Makes everyone else look even worse

94 'passes' over 30 yards yesterday. We turned over possession to Bournemouth 61 times as a result of them

Deadbat - 8/10

"Souza 1/10 – I called him a crap Georges Santos today".

Now steady on Deadbat , a blasphemy against Georges.
Exactly - why take it out go George ? Souza is just a crap footballer - end

Could have summed us up in two words...................... DOG SHIT
Hundreds were leaving the kop at HT after the third went in it was thousands leaving. The fans are voting with their feet something has to change it is hard to believe Hecky and Co are still in position. Yesterday's show of incompetence from the manager and team rival that awful night in 1999 against Port Vale same scoreline too if I remember right.

Great report Deadbat and says everything I wanted to post so saves me the bother. I suppose you could say my lack of application matches the teams effort yesterday. I can't accept the lack of effort as Bournemouth clearly wanted it more than we did.

The only bright spot was Osula. He showed more in the brief cameo rhan the rest combined.

Thanks for everything Hecky but it's time for a change.

Archer deserves a 1/10 for neshing the tackle on the edge of their box, he downed tools if the ball wasn't played to his feet and even when it was he was simply brushed off it. Norwood was just as bad as Souza, as was Hamer who looks completely lost. Thomas is lucky to get a 1, he looks like he's 14 playing in the men's league for the first time.

The players were collectively shit again yesterday but the fault lies with the manager. He started with a weakened team, setting them up to defend. We had all eleven players in our half for long spells in the first 45 minutes with no outlet. We didn't press, they did and we couldn't handle it, we were lucky to go in only two down. Bringing Anel and McBurnie on to save the game was too little too late, we should have started with them, set up on the front foot with the aim of competing and maybe even scoring a goal. I don't understand saving players to come in and chase the game, more likely to have a recurrence haring around in desperation as opposed to setting us up to make the ball do the work.

We started with Norwood and the new James Harper and ended with Norwood, Fleck and Osborn. In the Premier League. Go figure.

Club, and the manager especially, so far out of their depth. Completely embarrassing.

We started with Norwood and the new James Harper and ended with Norwood, Fleck and Osborn. In the Premier League. Go figure.

Club, and the manager especially, so far out of their depth. Completely embarrassing.
I watched a Vlog from some Bournemouth fans who game up for the weekend. They seemed a knowledgeable bunch and described us as the worst side they'd seen in the last 7 premier league seasons they've been involved in, hard to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom