My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Another dirty win, another three points. Hull to their credit didn't come to be beaten at all and come the second half up to them going down to ten looked likely to rob us of two points. There are patterns forming here, in some ways worrying but thankfully unresolved. We start like a fucking house on fire, take an early lead with some decently landed punches then on twenty we switch off and allow the opposition far too much bandwidth and capability to hold us, then press us back in our half so we eventually finish the game camped round our box. Blackpool at home, Norwich at home and even recently Stoke all looked like they could bounce back and shock us. Although we are grateful for riding high at the summit and still in with a challenge on Burnley who look resilient and unbeatable. We don't. We taper off from 20 to 90, giving seventy minutes of gathering peril and worry. Even with ten men on the pitch against us tonight we still never made use of the hole it left and Rosenior even stuck on more attacking options. We spent a great deal of that second half playing the game up at the Bramall Lane end and not sealing the win. Sure, we attacked, but we failed to get it sufficiently together to find Jebbison or Ndaiye to get a shot in on goal. We also spent a lot of the game backtracking after telegraphing balls when on the advance

Hull as said have their share of decent players. Connolly is a good catch and yeah, he's always been a shithouser. But the failings in our team are small but significant and don't permit United to win without penalty. It gives cynics like me the time when we eventually lose to say 'told you so' instead of 'well, it was bound to happen'. I'd rather Hacky startegised the game to control it better if we are ahead. His subs tonight suggested he was far from doing that and it was more desperate punts rather than measured options. Where was Coulibally and McAtee? Why bring on Osborn for Doyle? Sharp for Jebbo? It fells like he's grasping at straws instead of trying to manage the game.

Foderingham 6.5/10: Decent enough game save for daft 'pass it out from the back' choices and the odd punch-where-he-should-have-caught.
Bogle 8.5./10: Drops a half point for an unnecessary yellow card, but again, showed that our right side is mostly complete and ready for the next level, especially with him in the team and not Baldock who is vey much yesterday's defender now
Anel 6.5/10: Involved in the goal and on the advance but in other areas he was somewhat fragile and lacking in vision especially dealing with threats on the ground. Shit pass to Bogle late on
Egan 7.5/10: Got himself right in the fight at the back. Some key headers and interventions. A better game from him.
Robinson 7/10: Some typically robust and committed tackles from him especially in his battle with Connolly. Daft yellow card really. Elsewhere he was okay save for that daft 'play out from the back' which he is never good at.
Lowe 6/10: Quiet game from him and some errors which was disappointing
Norwood 7.5/10: He was really up in the business end in the first half. Because Hull played a narrow back four they gave Lowe and Bogle acres of room out wide and this is where Norwood's Hollywood passes paid out in silver dollars. Second half he was a bit less prominent and pulled deeper to defend and break up Hull's midfield ambitions
Doyle 7/10: Thought he had a great game. He was tenacious, chasing up and down the pitch and out on his side, and stuck to his task. Then he gets subbed. For fucking Osborn. Baffling.
Berge 4.5/10: A slightly better game for Berge, but not by much. Made some headers and ball at feet forays and got into key areas but when we are struggling late on, we need him to carry the ball up the park to relieve the pressure. Get us back on the attack. Play in their half. Instead ... where the fuck is he? No one fears him. Not many pass to him either. He's just not that fucking good, is he?
NDaiye 8/10: Great game. He's just determined to make oppositions fear him being near them, or advancing on goal with purpose. His unsuccessful dance through their defence late on was just shy of that bit of luck to sneak the ball to a waiting
Jebbison 7.5/10: Less effective later on, mainly because we didn't attack like we did in the first half. But fuck me he took his goal well and mixed it up with real purpose with their midfield and defence. I like this kid. He's everything Brewster isn't and then some more and works well with people on either side, creating options and outlets. Next year and some decent game time and he could be a world beater.

Osborn 5/10: Puzzling substitution. He ran about a bit and got into wide areas but his delivery and decision making out there was typically '18 months ago' and somewhat frustrating
Basham 5/10: Didn't see much of him in Berge's position save for a more reassured figure and possibly someone willing to get the ball up the pitch
Sharp 5/10: Did what he had to but bringing him on for Jebbo who still had legs on him was silly. What was he bringing to the game?
McBurnie 5/10: Got himself on the ball straight away and looks eager to prove a point that coming back from injury doesn't involve lengthy first team rehabilitation. Typical dust up from him for their red card

HJ&SMcC: 6/10: A win is another win and thanks guys. But what puzzles me is the lack of drive in the team to control the opposition when we are ahead. This doesn't happen so much when we are away from home. We seem able to cope better when not listening to 29k of Bramall Lane, which is odd. The stadium sounded in fine voice tonight but down there on the green stuff the longer the evening dragged on, the more sandbags we had to put up. Sure, we'll go up at this rate. But I feel that I'd be a lot more confident if tonight's result was 2-0 and we played much of the second half kicking toward the kop and down at that end. It seemed that the red card was the only thing that popped their balloon and it's a shame. We are better than that. We have far more capability built into a pretty slender team. Where was Coullibally? Why wasn't McAtee shoved on to get at their tiring defence?

FA Cup next, like anyone gives a fuck. I'd like us not to get beaten by Wrexham and draw a big club to Bramall Lane, but it exposes us to more risk of injury, especially NdAiye, Bogle and Jebbison who are now the spine of the team.

pommpey

• Banned
Another dirty win, another three points. Hull to their credit didn't come to be beaten at all and come the second half up to them going down to ten looked likely to rob us of two points. There are patterns forming here, in some ways worrying but thankfully unresolved. We start like a fucking house on fire, take an early lead with some decently landed punches then on twenty we switch off and allow the opposition far too much bandwidth and capability to hold us, then press us back in our half so we eventually finish the game camped round our box. Blackpool at home, Norwich at home and even recently Stoke all looked like they could bounce back and shock us. Although we are grateful for riding high at the summit and still in with a challenge on Burnley who look resilient and unbeatable. We don't. We taper off from 20 to 90, giving seventy minutes of gathering peril and worry. Even with ten men on the pitch against us tonight we still never made use of the hole it left and Rosenior even stuck on more attacking options. We spent a great deal of that second half playing the game up at the Bramall Lane end and not sealing the win. Sure, we attacked, but we failed to get it sufficiently together to find Jebbison or Ndaiye to get a shot in on goal. We also spent a lot of the game backtracking after telegraphing balls when on the advance

Hull as said have their share of decent players. Connolly is a good catch and yeah, he's always been a shithouser. But the failings in our team are small but significant and don't permit United to win without penalty. It gives cynics like me the time when we eventually lose to say 'told you so' instead of 'well, it was bound to happen'. I'd rather Hacky startegised the game to control it better if we are ahead. His subs tonight suggested he was far from doing that and it was more desperate punts rather than measured options. Where was Coulibally and McAtee? Why bring on Osborn for Doyle? Sharp for Jebbo? It fells like he's grasping at straws instead of trying to manage the game.

Foderingham 6.5/10: Decent enough game save for daft 'pass it out from the back' choices and the odd punch-where-he-should-have-caught.
Bogle 8.5./10: Drops a half point for an unnecessary yellow card, but again, showed that our right side is mostly complete and ready for the next level, especially with him in the team and not Baldock who is vey much yesterday's defender now
Anel 6.5/10: Involved in the goal and on the advance but in other areas he was somewhat fragile and lacking in vision especially dealing with threats on the ground. Shit pass to Bogle late on
Egan 7.5/10: Got himself right in the fight at the back. Some key headers and interventions. A better game from him.
Robinson 7/10: Some typically robust and committed tackles from him especially in his battle with Connolly. Daft yellow card really. Elsewhere he was okay save for that daft 'play out from the back' which he is never good at.
Norwood 7.5/10: He was really up in the business end in the first half. Because Hull played a narrow back four they gave Lowe and Bogle acres of room out wide and this is where Norwood's Hollywood passes paid out in silver dollars. Second half he was a bit less prominent and pulled deeper to defend and break up Hull's midfield ambitions
Doyle 7/10: Thought he had a great game. He was tenacious, chasing up and down the pitch and out on his side, and stuck to his task. Then he gets subbed. For fucking Osborn. Baffling.
Berge 4.5/10: A slightly better game for Berge, but not by much. Made some headers and ball at feet forays and got into key areas but when we are struggling late on, we need him to carry the ball up the park to relieve the pressure. Get us back on the attack. Play in their half. Instead ... where the fuck is he? No one fears him. Not many pass to him either. He's just not that fucking good, is he?
NDaiye 8/10: Great game. He's just determined to make oppositions fear him being near them, or advancing on goal with purpose. His unsuccessful dance through their defence late on was just shy of that bit of luck to sneak the ball to a waiting
Jebbison 7.5/10: Less effective later on, mainly because we didn't attack like we did in the first half. But fuck me he took his goal well and mixed it up with real purpose with their midfield and defence. I like this kid. He's everything Brewster isn't and then some more and works well with people on either side, creating options and outlets. Next year and some decent game time and he could be a world beater.

Osborn 5/10: Puzzling substitution. He ran about a bit and got into wide areas but his delivery and decision making out there was typically '18 months ago' and somewhat frustrating
Basham 5/10: Didn't see much of him in Berge's position save for a more reassured figure and possibly someone willing to get the ball up the pitch
Sharp 5/10: Did what he had to but bringing him on for Jebbo who still had legs on him was silly. What was he bringing to the game?
McBurnie 5/10: Got himself on the ball straight away and looks eager to prove a point that coming back from injury doesn't involve lengthy first team rehabilitation. Typical dust up from him for their red card

HJ&SMcC: 6/10: A win is another win and thanks guys. But what puzzles me is the lack of drive in the team to control the opposition when we are ahead. This doesn't happen so much when we are away from home. We seem able to cope better when not listening to 29k of Bramall Lane, which is odd. The stadium sounded in fine voice tonight but down there on the green stuff the longer the evening dragged on, the more sandbags we had to put up. Sure, we'll go up at this rate. But I feel that I'd be a lot more confident if tonight's result was 2-0 and we played much of the second half kicking toward the kop and down at that end. It seemed that the red card was the only thing that popped their balloon and it's a shame. We are better than that. We have far more capability built into a pretty slender team. Where was Coullibally? Why wasn't McAtee shoved on to get at their tiring defence?

FA Cup next, like anyone gives a fuck. I'd like us not to get beaten by Wrexham and draw a big club to Bramall Lane, but it exposes us to more risk of injury, especially NdAiye, Bogle and Jebbison who are now the spine of the team.

pommpey
First amongst many

pommpey

pommpey
What a bizarre post

Berge was my man of the match in what I thought was a very good committed team performance. Guess it's all about opinions?
Berge was good tonight. Physical, won the ball back in good positions and much better in possession.

Hopefully this is the end of the injury he’s been carrying.

Some people can’t wait to slag off though.

I wouldn't disagree with most of the scores Pommpey, but would give Berge a bit more.

Overall (and maybe this is in light of the recent news) I thought that was a pretty solid performance. Hull are a decent side, but I honestly didn't think they created a great deal and had we taken our other big chances that could have been a comfortable 2 or 3-0.

I would challenge the "Burnley look resilient and unbeatable..but we don't" statement however. They seem to be scraping through games at the moment too, and there isn't much in the stats really. I do think they'll finish champions though, but I also think that the chances of us being caught are beyond slim now.

UTB

• Banned
Berge was good tonight. Physical, won the ball back in good positions and much better in possession.

Hopefully this is the end of the injury he’s been carrying.

Some people can’t wait to slag off though.

Your response, because of a low mark on a player you rate is equally bizarre.

'Slag off'. Love it. What an expression steeped in childishness

pommpey

Your response, because of a low mark on a player you rate is equally bizarre.

'Slag off'. Love it. What an expression steeped in childishness

pommpey
There’s a lot more bizarreness in your post than your score for Berge. That’s the tip of the iceberg.

I don’t have the energy to respond to everything included in ridiculous attention seeking bollocks posts from trolls on the internet though at half past midnight when I have work in the morning. So will leave it there.

I watched on the red button so, if you were there Pomps, it may have looked different. I generally think you get it spot on but I have to disagree with the opening comments. I thought we hustled, won most tackles, competed in midfield and never really looked in trouble at the back. The game was open and I shared your concern about shipping one late on but in reality, did they ever create a serious chance? Wes didn’t have to make a save.
We got round them and with a bit more quality crossing into the box and people picking up the numerous balls that were half cleared to the edge of their area, should/could have won comfortably.
As ever, it’s all opinions innit? Keep the reports coming matey, they are much appreciated.

There’s a lot more bizarreness in your post than your score for Berge. That’s the tip of the iceberg.

I don’t have the energy to respond to everything included in ridiculous attention seeking bollocks posts from trolls on the internet though at half past midnight when I have work in the morning. So will leave it there.

Ad hominem, so soon.

'Your post is ridiculous. Why? Well, I don't have the time to explain.'

So why even post? Are you not 'attention seeking' too?

Have fun with the paper round feller

pommpey

Ad hominem, so soon.

'Your post is ridiculous. Why? Well, I don't have the time to explain.'

So why even post? Are you not 'attention seeking' too?

Have fun with the paper round feller

pommpey
You aren’t important enough to require a response and the attention you so dearly crave from the adults in the room unfortunately. Si thi.

You aren’t important enough to require a response and the attention you so dearly crave from the adults in the room unfortunately. Si thi.

But important enough for you to comment in 'My take ...'

That's odd.

Usually 'the adults' engage in a lively debate about the match. For you, it's all about 'me'. And you accuse me of 'attention seeking'

What a bizarre post, as you have said

pommpey

Bogle made unforced error after error. I'm a huge supporter of his but he was piss poor tonight.

Don't see how Norwood warrants such a high mark either, he was godawful throughout, barring one good long range pass in the 9th minute.

Another dirty win, another three points. There are patterns forming here, in some ways worrying but thankfully unresolved. We start like a fucking house on fire, take an early lead with some decently landed punches then on twenty we switch off and allow the opposition far too much bandwidth and capability to hold us, then press us back in our half so we eventually finish the game camped round our box. Blackpool at home, Norwich at home and even recently Stoke all looked like they could bounce back and shock us. Although we are grateful for riding high at the summit and still in with a challenge on Burnley who look resilient and unbeatable. We don't. We taper off from 20 to 90, giving seventy minutes of gathering peril and worry. Even with ten men on the pitch against us tonight we still never made use of the hole it left and Rosenior even stuck on more attacking options. We spent a great deal of that second half playing the game up at the Bramall Lane end and not sealing the win. Sure, we attacked, but we failed to get it sufficiently together to find Jebbison or Ndaiye to get a shot in on goal. We also spent a lot of the game backtracking after telegraphing balls when on the advance

I'd rather Hacky startegised the game to control it better if we are ahead. His subs tonight suggested he was far from doing that and it was more desperate punts rather than measured options. Where was Coulibally and McAtee? Why bring on Osborn for Doyle? Sharp for Jebbo? It fells like he's grasping at straws instead of trying to manage the game.
Absolutely agree with everything quoted above. Bang on, especially the first paragraph. Most on here think we're 1970 Brazil and can't see the wood for the trees.

What once was Norwood now becomes Berge.

He had a decent game, much better than in recent outings. It took you a comically long amount of time to admit that Norwood is great (and that’s probably still through gritted teeth), Berge’s your new convenient scapegoat.

You probably need to give Hull a bit more credit for their contribution to a hard fought game. They are clearly a much improved side.
This is something we will come up against in our remaining fixtures. Most notably against Boro and W Brom. The rest are either fighting relegation, or in a situation where a couple of wins could shoot them up the table.
The blades are proving very resilient to this though, and also deserve some credit collectively as a squad.
Apologies if this post wanders away from your usual insight on individuals. Just thought it worth mentioning. :)

pommpey
Great report. Great win. 10/10. Go go Blades. We are going up. Again.

pommpey
Bang on the money pal 👍👍

I'd agree that Doyle did great but I thought he needed to come off- I don't know if he was knackered or had a knock but he was out on his feet.

I understand that folk don't like Osborne and aye, there were a couple of passes badly astray but I thought he brought energy and had some good moments- I reckon him and McBurnie played decent roles in seeing out the win.

pommpey

Norwood 6.5 for me. Never got a hold on the game 6.00- 6.5 for Berge. However. Still disappointing from him.

Was an average performance but great win. I held my head in my hands at some indecisiveness at the back which we'd get absolutely dry bummed for in the premier league. I guess we'll face that problem next season.

Would liked to have seen McAtee come on as skills aside he's also very tenacious and would have allowed us to hold up play in the middle and create the second goal.

I usually get where you're coming from Pommpey, and agree with a lot you say, but I can't believe you watched the same game as me today. Berge was a mix of high quality, silky football mixed with moments of invisibility. The good bits far outweighed the bad for me, and I think your score is miles off. A 6.5 to 7.

Ndiaye had his worst game in a long time. Good skills for the goal and a couple of mazy dribbles but he lost the ball a lot and their number 24 did a great job of stopping him play. A 6 at best, and that feels generous.

Wes gets a 5, for the save in the first half but apart from that he looked fucking gash. That punch, his kicking, his general look of fear spread to the defence and we didn't half make hard work of beating a fucking wank Hull side.

I'd give the manager a 3 for the 3 points but fucking hell. Billy for Jebbo was a strange one, take off a lad with pace and boundless energy for an old player who's limited to shitlining these days. Doyle didn't look gassed to me, not sure why he's not allowed to play 90 minutes, must be something in his loan deal 😵

pommpey
Bob on again dude.
It's just like seeing it through my eyes!

Thought Berge was much better and that must be 3 games now that Robinson has been error free!
Lowe wasn't really allowed in the game as Hull had a game plan to snuff out our wingbacks, which on the whole worked!
Chuffed for Jebbo.
Agree about the subs too 🤔

Back
Top Bottom