My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

At the risk of coming across unduly negative, I have little confidence in Robinson generally. He consistently got caught cold last season, his fuck up yesterday was reminiscent of Peterborough at home last season, and there has been several such cases since.

Yes he redeemed himself with the goal somewhat, but between himself and Enda Stevens, we are very compromised down that left hand side right now and Burnley were smart enough in the 1st half to exploit that, as evidenced by Benson tearing us a new one each time he advanced forward.

Needless to say, it's imperative that we get RND back sooner rather than later.

Thanks Pommpey.

I`m still smiling and buzzing especially after watching the highlights just now. Sky said it was one of the best matches of the season. Wow.
You have to admit though at first glance Ndiaye and McB are the most unlikely pairing up front but for some crazy crazy crazy reason its starting to work.
McB admitting he cant train due to the Hernia how long can he go on and if he has it during the WC which McB will come out the other side ?
He said on interview recently his operation is during the break and hopes he will be back for the restart.

At the risk of coming across unduly negative, I have little confidence in Robinson generally. He consistently got caught cold last season, his fuck up yesterday was reminiscent of Peterborough at home last season, and there has been several such cases since.

Yes he redeemed himself with the goal somewhat, but between himself and Enda Stevens, we are very compromised down that left hand side right now and Burnley were smart enough in the 1st half to exploit that, as evidenced by Benson tearing us a new one each time he advanced forward.

I used to think the same, in his early days my judgement was he has great commitment with physicality but not quite good enough for the Championship due to occasional blunders or lapses in concentration.

However 2nd half of the season he cut out the errors, improved and played really well, in fact in some games there were impressive commanding displays,
he was also scoring goals too. So he won me over and looked to have earned a right to be fist choice starter.

Yesterday he also made a bit a mockery of the normal rules of football because every time we had a throw-in we looked dangerous. I've never seen a team as weak in the air as Burnley, they were panicking every tine we had a corner or throw-in due to Robby's long throw which effectively made them corners.

I used to think the same, in his early days my judgement was he has great commitment with physicality but not quite good enough for the Championship due to occasional blunders or lapses in concentration.

However 2nd half of the season he cut out the errors, improved and played really well, in fact in some games there were impressive commanding displays,
he was also scoring goals too. So he won me over and looked to have earned a right to be fist choice starter.

Yesterday he also made a bit a mockery of the normal rules of football because every time we had a throw-in we looked dangerous. I've never seen a team as weak in the air as Burnley, they were panicking every tine we had a corner or throw-in due to Robby's long throw which effectively made them corners.
He threw two shocking balls towards the box in the first half, one straight out of play. I agree with you overall by the way.

I broadly agree with you here, and don't get me wrong, there is some utility in having him in the squad.
I'm just trying to take the long view. If we are to achieve promotion then we have to look at assembling a team that can be competitive in the top flight. This will even mean sacrificing some sacred cows who have been mainstays in the squad throughout the years, and personally, I would place Robinson in the expendable category, as ruthless as that may seem.

What we cannot do is pull a Forest and make a multitude of signings in one fell swoop, then spend the whole season trying to work out our best side, at the expense of getting tonked every week.

Concise and succinct report pommpey and as usual, with a fantastic sprinkling of non PC colourful prose... "like kicking a cripple" Love it.

On a more serious note, I thought all your player evaluations and comments were spot on.

Great report as usual.

I’d just about give McBurnie MOTM, but agree Norwood was also outstanding.

Said at HT, our ability to nullify Benson could decide the game as their tactic was simply to give him the ball. He never touched it 2nd half and we pummelled them.

No idea how they are top defending like that and using that keeper to play out from the back.

Stevens is a seasoned professional. Their winger was decent, granted, but all left foot. Enda never showed him the line, just kept inviting him inside where he looked dangerous. Treading on egg shell's once he'd been booked.

The Monday after our final game I hope
Cardiff Satdi, op monday according to Hecky. McB has gone from zero to hero.

Great write up for a great performance pommps. I went into this match with trepidation (especially after the previous match) and came out of it almost as ecstatic as I was after the promotion decider v Cardiff in 1971 all those years ago. Wonderful, wonderful Sheff United. Hopefully all the other managers in the Championship will have taken note and give Burnley the aerial bombardment they deserve. That should have Kompany sucking lemons for the rest of the season.

Just one extra point about Burnley. They seemed to be about the only team to visit the Lane this season that didn't do any shithousing or time-wasting when they were ahead. It's been so frustrating watching this happen this season and neither the refs nor linos doing anything about it till almost the last kick of the match. So, well played Burnley, and thanks for the 3 points!!

Said at HT, our ability to nullify Benson could decide the game as their tactic was simply to give him the ball. He never touched it 2nd half and we pummelled them.

As it was on the far side to me I could not work out the tactical charge that did this. I guess it was osborn getting across to help and helping to close down the distribution channel, did anyone spot what the change was?

Obviously it could have been the tackle from Robinson seizing up over half time, as he was not in it 2nd half.

As it was on the far side to me I could not work out the tactical charge that did this. I guess it was osborn getting across to help and helping to close down the distribution channel, did anyone spot what the change was?

Obviously it could have been the tackle from Robinson seizing up over half time, as he was not in it 2nd half.
Nor me, the only thing I noticed was that we seemed much tighter, getting a foot in a bit quicker, which removed their ability to control it and look for him.

What a day out!, sat in the stadium you love, with the woman you love, amongst the fans you love, watching the team you love, on your wedding anniversary, and at half time, Hecky says to the lads (a bit like Jeremy Beadle) "Grappler and his Mrs think we are going to lose this game, little do they know what we have in store for them in the second half, come on lads, let's do it".

Jack Robbo - after that second goal, he pulled his shirt over his head, and looked absolutely gutted. His head went down, as it would for most players. Then we got a throw in, in front of G-Block (South Stand), and Enda had the ball, and was beckoning JLT to come and take the throw in. Robbo was hesitant, but eventually started to walk across to take it, and the first two or three rows of G stood up and applauded him. The lad must have been welling up at that. When he dropped Benson with that tough tackle, he got a standing ovation from many, firm but fair tackle, welcome to Sheffield.

Oli McB, the lad is a handful, and Ndiaye is a pleasure to watch, in fact everyone played their part. When was the last time we saw John Egan deliver more pin-point "Hollywood" balls than Oli Norwood?

Straight out for beers after, then a meal, then met some friends for a few more drinks, what a way to spend your wedding anniversary.

Thank you, Sheffield United!!

I think I'd give McBurnie a 10 as well but otherwise agree with all of those markings (maybe 7 a bit generous for Fleck though).

What a day out!, sat in the stadium you love, with the woman you love, amongst the fans you love, watching the team you love, on your wedding anniversary, and at half time, Hecky says to the lads (a bit like Jeremy Beadle) "Grappler and his Mrs think we are going to lose this game, little do they know what we have in store for them in the second half, come on lads, let's do it".

Jack Robbo - after that second goal, he pulled his shirt over his head, and looked absolutely gutted. His head went down, as it would for most players. Then we got a throw in, in front of G-Block (South Stand), and Enda had the ball, and was beckoning JLT to come and take the throw in. Robbo was hesitant, but eventually started to walk across to take it, and the first two or three rows of G stood up and applauded him. The lad must have been welling up at that. When he dropped Benson with that tough tackle, he got a standing ovation from many, firm but fair tackle, welcome to Sheffield.

Oli McB, the lad is a handful, and Ndiaye is a pleasure to watch, in fact everyone played their part. When was the last time we saw John Egan deliver more pin-point "Hollywood" balls than Oli Norwood?

Straight out for beers after, then a meal, then met some friends for a few more drinks, what a way to spend your wedding anniversary.

^all of this^

Glad to hear that the fans still got behind him. Despite me labelling him useless last year, Robinson is another, like McBurnie, who has come through the bad times to make good. I still have faith in him at LCB and we were struggling somewhat when he was injured. He's a solid professional and has on balance given us more than he has taken, especially as he is filling the boots of the anointed, much-revered JOC too. That tackle on Benson was epic Robbo. Don't know if anyone has caught it but there's a great tweet showing him coming into the dressing room after the final whistle and the players all over him. It's great to see that given his horrific first forty-five yesterday.

Glad you had a good day out buddy.

pommpey

^all of this^

Glad to hear that the fans still got behind him. Despite me labelling him useless last year, Robinson is another, like McBurnie, who has come through the bad times to make good. I still have faith in him at LCB and we were struggling somewhat when he was injured. He's a solid professional and has on balance given us more than he has taken, especially as he is filling the boots of the anointed, much-revered JOC too. That tackle on Benson was epic Robbo. Don't know if anyone has caught it but there's a great tweet showing him coming into the dressing room after the final whistle and the players all over him. It's great to see that given his horrific first forty-five yesterday.

Glad you had a good day out buddy.

pommpey

Yes, seen it, mate. He gets a massive cheers when he walks in, great to see.

Best game of the season at Bramall Lane. In my humble opinion. tore Burnley apart in the second half.McBurnie man of the match An incredible transformation.from being fucking useless to being outstanding. great to watch everything he did was perfect. reminded me of the legendary Brian Deane. you could see when he was attacking the Burnley defense looked frightened. with all the injuries we have. makes you wonder how good we can be with a full-strength squad that display, we can lick anyone in the championship. next up Rotherham can,t wait for that one. UP THE BLADES.

Fantastic result, not even Andy Hinchcliffe could suck the life out of. I loved the fact our first came from a corner we shouldn’t have had.

The difference now is there appears to be a true striking partnership forming.

Not going to blame Robinson for the first goal, it’s more to do with no defender going out to challenge their winger giving him all the time in the world. Noticed that we switched off a couple of times when Norwich had corners, no one went out to their man lined up for a shot/cross on the edge of the penalty box.

Norwood excellent with set pieces, their defending of them was an utter shambles but it shouldn’t take away from a brilliant performance by the Blades. Delighted

Best game of the season at Bramall Lane. In my humble opinion. tore Burnley apart in the second half.McBurnie man of the match An incredible transformation.from being fucking useless to being outstanding. great to watch everything he did was perfect. reminded me of the legendary Brian Deane. you could see when he was attacking the Burnley defense looked frightened. with all the injuries we have. makes you wonder how good we can be with a full-strength squad that display, we can lick anyone in the championship. next up Rotherham can,t wait for that one. UP THE BLADES.

Exactly this. I see direct parallels with Deano and McBurnie with the way he's playing. Deano however would be hard pushed to get himself involved in any on-field fisticuffs (although I don't doubt you wouldn't want a toe-to-toe with him) but given NDaiye is practically doing the Tony Agana stuff off the ball and playmaking as well as scoring it's a bit 1989-90-91 all over again, isn't it?

If both break high double figures and beyond this season and stay off the treatment table/suspended, we'll be promoted. Given our centre backs are decent goal merchants too, it all bodes well.

pommpey

I see direct parallels with Deano and McBurnie with the way he's playing. Deano however would be hard pushed to get himself involved in any on-field fisticuffs (although I don't doubt you wouldn't want a toe-to-toe with him) but given NDaiye is practically doing the Tony Agana stuff off the ball and playmaking as well as scoring it's a bit 1989-90-91 all over again, isn't it?
Yes, definitely. It was shivers down the spine a bit yesterday, it felt really familiar.

There's a youtube channel, something like kopii90blade, that's got loads of short highlights from 88-95 on it. Just watch Brian Deane bullying defenders match after match and banging them in left foot, right foot and headers. Joy to watch. McB is looking more and more like the great man in this current run of form. Ndiaye is looking like one of the very best ever.

Also Anel could finish with 10 this season. Lad loves to spend time in the oppo's box. And he can't half mix it up and rise above and plant a thunder header towards goal. Take's the pressure off Kryton head.

Can't wait for Tuesday.

Yes, definitely. It was shivers down the spine a bit yesterday, it felt really familiar.

There's a youtube channel, something like kopii90blade, that's got loads of short highlights from 88-95 on it. Just watch Brian Deane bullying defenders match after match and banging them in left foot, right foot and headers. Joy to watch. McB is looking more and more like the great man in this current run of form. Ndiaye is looking like one of the very best ever.

Also Anel could finish with 10 this season. Lad loves to spend time in the oppo's box. And he can't half mix it up and rise above and plant a thunder header towards goal. Take's the pressure off Kryton head.

Can't wait for Tuesday.

Proper centre forward stuff. Don't know if anyone's noticed also, but McBurnie is doing less of the 'go-fetch' stuff that a number ten does. All he is doing is making sure their defence has their eyes on NDaiye approaching and marking him as an outlet. One lapse of concentration - his first goal yesterday - and he's gone from their line of vision and is in on goal.

He never has been a playmaker or an attacking midfielder. Get the ball to him in the box and he'll score

pommpey

Just one extra point about Burnley. They seemed to be about the only team to visit the Lane this season that didn't do any shithousing or time-wasting when they were ahead. It's been so frustrating watching this happen this season and neither the refs nor linos doing anything about it till almost the last kick of the match. So, well played Burnley, and thanks for the 3 points!!
Tbf they scored in injury time in 1st half.
We equalised 3 mins later. Then took control
They had little benefit to gain from time wasting

Pommpey you read my mind I thought NDaiye is like Agana. one of the best-attacking partnerships I have ever seen Deano and Agana.

...and so to bed.😜

I reckon JLT just took time to settle into the club, and adapt his game to the preferred tactics. He knows he’s not a superstar, even in the making. Someone has persevered with him, and we, and he will get the benefits from that.
He did have a long injury lay off and I defy anyone to claim that we have remained the same without him. He takes time to adjust and he still has the odd error in him, but he is a terrific lad to have around, and a capable player in that position. He’s just an honest pro, in a team littered with glitter.
Could say the same about Osborn and Stevens now. They and one or two others might not make the step up, when we get promoted, but still valuable all the same.

Back
Top Bottom