My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Can't speyk.

I ... and so many others are expecting a resurgent, well fancied Burnley to come to Bramall Lane today and literally fuck us up the arse, and put our recent achievements in scruffy away wins into sharp, Sheffield Unitedlike perspective and expose the bald facts about our lack of potency due to a gathering storm of injuries to the fore. Team line up looked optimistic and somewhat laughable. Osborn in midfield, Enda back at LWB and Fleck shoved in to make up the numbers. What the fuck was Hecky doing? Furthermore, coming out of this 0-3 down to disconcertment cascading down from the well stocked terraces as we possibly drop to sixth and lose to Rotherham ...

Make no apologies for this. It's what we're used to.

But as ever, we are Bladesmen and as my dad always said, Sheffield United are unpredictable. This actually works both ways sometimes. Seem to remember us going away to Leeds a few years ago and tubbing them 4-0 at Bellend Road and certainly, no one expected us to beat Liverpool in the LC at BDTBL either a while ago. But take on Burnley at Bramall Lane and batter them 5-2? After going behind twice and being 1-2 down at HT? Have so many shots on target and look like a fucking Premier League team doing so with effectively a second string team? Fuck off!

We started really, really well. Instead of tentatively trying to play football in and around Burnley and not looking much like getting the ball to the strikers we did exactly the opposite - we went at them and played a high game up in their back garden and created chances that actually made the most of the new Deane/Agana partnership up front. Everyone seemed to be getting involved in the game, no slackers. Okay, Benson was ragging Stevens a lot and they came back into the game a bit and then, out of nowhere, they have a smash at goal which seems to be well covered except Robinson makes a despairing lunge and heads it the wrong way past Fods. To me, it was 'one of them things' and had he got more contact it would have ended up in the Kop. I can't blame Robinson for it. He was doing his job - defending. It just didn't evolve the right way. I felt sorry for him.

But what we didn't do is let Burnley control the game as we went at them. They tried, but a surprisingly well organised midfield (who I thought would struggle like fuck) just kept Burnley out of the game and we looked like we actually deserved an equaliser. After some pretty flawless into-the-box distribution from JLT and Norwood/Fleck from the corners it was nailed on someone would make the contact and score. Characteristically it bounces off NDaiye's knee in the end and we are deservedly level and in honest terms likely to beat these fuckers. But wait ...

Fodders chucks the ball (wrongly, to me) across the pitch to JLT who has a C3PO moment and fucking doddy-foots it letting a very sharp Benson in who makes no mistake to send us in astoundingly behind at HT. I get it ... I could hear everyone's inner thoughts of Burnley further shafting us dry in the second half or reducing us to shot after shot ending up in the kop. But hey ... pessimistic old me didn't feel that at all. I had real faith that this team of misfits and substitutes might actually prove their worth in the team and for the shirt. To me we were far better than the score suggested. Something was clicking out there and Burnley, for all their league position and manager pedigree, were there for the taking. They looked scared and vulnerable, like a bully that had had a slap from a dweeb. There was more to this game ...

Second half ... fuck me what a blitz. We still went at them and Burnley looked shell shocked and barely able to cope. It was us ... Sheffield United ... showing that firstly the post-international blues were over, secondly that Burnley were the ones in the exhalted, false position but mainly that we were a fucking force to be reckoned with, even with several key players out of the matchday squad and of those playing, many still tired and hobbling from the midweek triumph. I thought we'd run out of steam. We didn't. McBurnie was a constant pain in the arse for them, NDaiye everything you don't want 90 minutes against and the assumed limitations of the midfield and Stevens never' ever evident. It was the game of their lives and 'It's LIVE ... on SKY!'

The goals just kept coming. A well poached diving header from McB, a stadium destroying piece of kudos from JLT, a deserved reward for Anel and McBs payoff gave us four goals in a second half fightback I have never witnessed in my gathering years as a Blade supporter. It had everything about our story as a club in an hour and a half and it was luxuriant living watching the top of the table team ... well fancied by all ... to get the fucking spanking we have been waiting to give. It's all ver well and good bumming Peterborough. That's like kicking a cripple. Smacking Burnley square in the chops and putting them on their arse is what I'm saying, blud.

Foderingham 7/10: Decent catches, diving collects and a couple of good saves. After that ... nowt much to do
Baldock 7.5/10: Worked extremely hard to deal with Burnley's wing threat until the second half when they just gave up. Still a good performance
Anel 7.5/10: Not a classic Anel match but in a sense it was, because he scored a well dug-out goal and tried a scissor kick ... he did what? ... in their box. At times in the first half he wasn't his-self but as the game went on much more the Anel we know. Good assist for McBs first
Egan 7.5/10: Much improved and resilient against a somewhat invisible (possibly because of him) attacking threat
JLT 7.5/10: Hate to dock him marks. Not at fault for that first o.g. He was doing his job and it didn't turn out what he intended. The second one? Yeah ... C3PO. But got his head back in it and didn't let it get to him. And he fucking scored. In reality, an 8/10, but actually a half mark for his doddy-footed fuck up
Stevens 7/10: I know he was run ragged by their winger but again didn't let him get under his skin and was part of an effective trio out left all things considered. He is slowing up though. We need to acknowledge this. Today he worked his arse off but was limited and vulnerable
Osborn 8/10: Thought he had a great game and grafted hard to make some or other difference well out of position. Linked well inside and outside to keep the momentum up
Norwood 9.5/10: Best game I have seen him play for some years. Committed and involved - this against his hometown team and against on paper a better midfield. When needed to Hollywood he did just that but above all else it was effective. Outside of that he battled and stopped Burnley dominating. Just lacked a goal if anything. Great set up for a the marauding Baldock for McBs second and some pretty flawless corners too
Fleck 7/10: A better performance from him if not as effective as three years ago in the same fixture. Still nowhere near as good as he has been for us
McBurnie 9/10: We have a striker back and possibly ... if the stars align ... one as good as Brian Deane himself. For me to go from rating him at a 3 and calling him McPub to today where he looked excellent in defence and attack shows the development and revolution that has happened with him. I was convinced 12 months ago he was sellable at a loss and a total waste of space. Now he is on fire and a player of absolute worth
Ndaiye 8.5/10: A absolute star of a player. he's so slinky, controls well, pops up and scores and completes our front line

Basham 6/10: Pushed into RM in hoc of Stevens giving way to Osborn at LWB. Don't think he did too badly. His wisdom and composure was evident and characteristically for him we saw him in advance positions a lot to keep the pressure on
Sharp 4/10: Not really effective up front save for pressure and graft
Arblaster: Not marked
Brooks: Not marked

All to play for again now and we are back in the box seat. We have dented Burnley's paintwork and smashed their headlights out with today's display of Sheffield United at their best in a packed stadium of fervour. A game in hand and a better goal difference and a game at home against Toytown coming up to boot. We could go top into another international break!

Oh, wait ...

pommpey

Last edited:

• Banned
Can't speyk.

I ... and so many others are expecting a resurgent, well fancied Burnley to come to Bramall Lane today and literally fuck us up the arse, and put our recent achievements in scruffy away wins into sharp, Sheffield Unitedlike perspective and expose the bald facts about our lack of potency due to a gathering storm of injuries to the fore. Team line up looked optimistic and somewhat laughable. Osborn in midfield, Enda back at LWB and Fleck shoved in to make up the numbers. What the fuck was Hecky doing? Furthermore, coming out of this 0-3 down to disconcertment cascading down from the well stocked terraces as we possibly drop to sixth and lose to Rotherham ...

But as ever, we are Bladesmen and as my dad always said, Sheffield United are unpredictable. This actually works both ways sometimes. Seem to remember us going away to Leeds a few years ago and tubbing them 4-0 at Bellend Road and certainly, no one expected us to beat Liverpool in the LC at BDTBL either a while ago. But take on Burnley at Bramall Lane and batter them 5-2? After going behind twice and being 1-2 down at HT? Have so many shots on target and look like a fucking Premier League team doing so with effectively a second string team? Fuck off!

We started really, really well. Instead of tentatively trying to play football in and around Burnley and not looking much like getting the ball to the strikers we did exactly the opposite - we went at them and played a high game up in their back garden and created chances that actually made the most of the new Deane/Agana partnership up front. Everyone seemed to be getting involved in the game, no slackers. Okay, Benson was ragging Stevens a lot and they came back into the game a bit and then, out of nowhere, they have a smash at goal which seems to be well covered except Robinson makes a despairing lunge and heads it the wrong way past Fods. To me, it was 'one of them things' and had he got more contact it would have ended up in the Kop. I can't blame Robinson for it. He was doing his job - defending. It just didn't evolve the right way. I felt sorry for him.

But what we didn't do is let Burnley control the game as we went at them. They tried, but a surprisingly well organised midfield (who I thought would struggle like fuck) just kept Burnley out of the game and we looked like we actually deserved an equaliser. After some pretty flawless into-the-box distribution from JLT and Norwood/Fleck from the corners it was nailed on someone would make the contact and score. Characteristically it bounces off NDaiye's knee in the end and we are deservedly level and in honest terms likely to beat these fuckers. But wait ...

Fodders chucks the ball (wrongly, to me) across the pitch to JLT who has a C3PO moment and fucking doddy-foots it letting a very sharp Benson in who makes no mistake to send us in astoundingly behind at HT. I get it ... I could hear everyone's inner thoughts of Burnley further shafting us dry in the second half or reducing us to shot after shot ending up in the kop. But hey ... pessimistic old me didn't feel that at all. I had real faith that this team of misfits and substitutes might actually prove their worth in the team and for the shirt. To me we were far better than the score suggested. Something was clicking out there and Burnley, for all their league position and manager pedigree, were there for the taking. They looked scared and vulnerable, like a bully that had had a slap from a dweeb. There was more to this game ...

Second half ... fuck me what a blitz. We still went at them and Burnley looked shell shocked and barely able to cope. It was us ... Sheffield United ... showing that firstly the post-international blues were over, secondly that Burnley were the ones in the exhalted, false position but mainly that we were a fucking force to be reckoned with, even with several key players out of the matchday squad and of those playing, many still tired and hobbling from the midweek triumph. I thought we'd run out of steam. We didn't. McBurnie was a constant pain in the arse for them, NDaiye everything you don't want 90 minutes against and the assumed limitations of the midfield and Stevens never' ever evident. It was the game of their lives and 'It's LIVE ... on SKY!'

The goals just kept coming. A well poached diving header from McB, a stadium destroying piece of kudos from JLT, a deserved reward for Anel and McBs payoff gave us four goals in a second half fightback I have never witnessed in my gathering years as a Blade supporter. It had everything about our story as a club in an hour and a half and it was luxuriant living watching the top of the table team ... well fancied by all ... to get the fucking spanking we have been waiting to give. It's all ver well and good bumming Peterborough. That's like kicking a cripple. Smacking Burnley square in the chops and putting them on their arse is what I'm saying, blud.

Foderingham 7/10: Decent catches, diving collects and a couple of good saves. After that ... nowt much to do
Baldock 7.5/10: Worked extremely hard to deal with Burnley's wing threat until the second half when they just gave up. Still a good performance
Anel 7.5/10: Not a classic Anel match but in a sense it was, because he scored a well dug-out goal and tried a scissor kick ... he did what? ... in their box. At times in the first half he wasn't his-self but as the game went on much more the Anel we know. Good assist for McBs first
Egan 7.5/10: Much improved and resilient against a somewhat invisible (possibly because of him) attacking threat
JLT 7.5/10: Hate to dock him marks. Not at fault for that first o.g. He was doing his job and it didn't turn out what he intended. The second one? Yeah ... C3PO. But got his head back in hit and didn't let it get to him. And he fucking scored. In reality, an 8/10, but actually a half mark for his doddy-footed fuck up
Stevens 7/10: I know he was run ragged by their winger but again didn't let him get under his skin and was part of an effective trio out left all things considered. He is slowing up though. We need to acknowledge this. Today he worked his arse off but was limited and vulnerable
Osborn 8/10: Thought he had a great game and grafted hard to make some or other difference well out of position. Linked well inside and outside to keep the momentum up
Norwood 9.5/10: Best game I have seen him play for some years. Committed and involved - this against his hometown team and against on paper a better midfield. When needed to Hollywood he did just that but above all else it was effective. Outside of that he battled and stopped Burnley dominating. Just lacked a goal if anything. Great set up for a the marauding Baldock for McBs second and some pretty flawless corners too
Fleck 7/10: A better performance from him if not as effective as three years ago in the same fixture. Still nowhere near as good as he has been for us
McBurnie 9/10: We have a striker back and possibly ... if the stars align ... one as good as Brian Deane himself. For me to go from rating him at a 3 and calling him McPub to today where he looked excellent in defence and attack shows the development and revolution that has happened with him. I was convinced 12 months ago he was sellable at a loss and a total waste of space. Now he is on fire and a player of absolute worth
Ndaiye 8.5/10: A absolute star of a player. he's so slinky, controls well, pops up and scores and completes our front line

Basham 6/10: Pushed into RM in hoc of Stevens giving way to Osborn at LWB. Don't think he did too badly. His wisdom and composure was evident and characteristicallyu for him we saw him in advance positions a lot to keep the pressure on

All to play for again now and we are back in the box seat. We have dented Burnley's paintwork and smashed their headlights with today's display of Sheffield United at their best in a packed stadium of fervour. A game in hand and a better goal difference and a game at home against Toytown coming up to boot. We could go top into another international break!

Oh, wait ...

pommpey
First and last

pommpey

Next!

What a game. Can’t stop smiling to myself.
Seemed to take Ndiaye a while to get into the game - but 2nd half he was everywhere.
McB - absolutely brilliant & long may it continue. Looks like he’s really enjoying his togger.

Last edited:
McBurnie was fucking immense today. Not only for his two goals, but for the fact that he also found time to pose a threat from midfield too.

And I will mark Andre Brookes 7/10. Only a cameo appearance but held the ball up exceedingly well in the few minutes he was on. He knows what we are about.

Above all, it says a lot that we had the luxury of bringing on youth team players against the top placed team in the division.

At our strongest, we are fucking untouchable and we must not forget that.

Last edited:
Can't speyk.

JLT 7.5/10: Hate to dock him marks. Not at fault for that first o.g. He was doing his job and it didn't turn out what he intended. The second one? Yeah ... C3PO. But got his head back in it and didn't let it get to him. And he fucking scored. In reality, an 8/10, but actually a half mark for his doddy-footed fuck up

Basham 6/10: Pushed into RM in hoc of Stevens giving way to Osborn at LWB. Don't think he did too badly. His wisdom and composure was evident and characteristically for him we saw him in advance positions a lot to keep the pressure on

All to play for again now and we are back in the box seat. We have dented Burnley's paintwork and smashed their headlights out with today's display of Sheffield United at their best in a packed stadium of fervour. A game in hand and a better goal difference and a game at home against Toytown coming up to boot. We could go top into another international break!

Oh, wait ...

pommpey

I’ve just handed this missive to a 13 year old child for him offer this opinion.

He agrees with it in the most part but thinks you are eating a couple of player a bit lower than he does.

9/10

Can't speyk.

Oh, wait ...

pommpey

The only criticism I could have of today is the unnecessary bookings

Glad you didn't go all in on Robbo when it would've been easy to do so. That fuck up for the second aside I thought he was excellent again, as he was second half at Brizzle, and deserved to get us back in it with the cross for the second and then bagging the third. Showed a lot of bollocks that.

Great performance,I know they had more possession but I thought we were a lot better on the ball than recent weeks, didn't turnover possession as much, found red and white shirts, played through the press, didn't just hoof it.,and equally good without the ball aswell... Agree Norwood and McB were outstanding backed up by he rest particularly Ndaiye, Osborn, Baldock, Anel.. Well done to Robbo for showing great character to turn things around.

I’ve just handed this missive to a 13 year old child for him offer this opinion.

He agrees with it in the most part but thinks you are eating a couple of player a bit lower than he does.

9/10
Eating?

pommpey

Good read and as usual very accurate- to think at half time most would take a draw- second half was fantastic and fuck me for once at corners and Robinson long throws they couldn't handle us. No one saw that blitz coming it was a total joy.

For me McB/Norwood/ Ndiaye- equal Men of the match- 9's for all 3-

Ndiaye what a f****** talent he is just ridiculous.

Glad you didn't go all in on Robbo when it would've been easy to do so. That fuck up for the second aside I thought he was excellent again, as he was second half at Brizzle, and deserved to get us back in it with the cross for the second and then bagging the third. Showed a lot of bollocks that.
That early tackle on Benson was sexual

Can't speyk.

Oh, wait ...

pommpey

Nice write up pommps.

Say what you like about Robbo but he gives his all when he pulls on the Blades jersey.

Stinker of a first half and could easily have been subbed, or worse, stayed on and get totally demoralised. He always puts himself about in the opposition box from corners (the storming header at QPR was a gem of a goal) and today when he scuffed the ball in the net to make it 3-2 the whole of the ground knew what that meant to him - including the players.

He may not be the best player on the books but he's one of the most committed.

I can skip the porn tonight watching that again on Sky. Need a bucket tonight.

Reactions: Dkc
WOW United are back I couldn't see that happening at HT. I can't say we played bad in the first half as we started well and took the game to them only to go behind to an OG against the run of play. Still we stuck at it and the Burnley back line looked a bit iffy probably only to be expected with the Corporal Jones impressionist in goal. Burnley could have a moan at the equaliser which came from the corner awarded when the ball clearly came off Baldock for a goal kick. At this stage of the game it was fairly even and just when we are thinking go in at 1-1 C3PO returns and we gift them a goal to go in 1-2 down. No doubt many are thinking typical United gifting a good outfit the lead are going to get dry bummed second half as Stevens is struggling 1st game back after a long lay off against a tricky winger who has pace. Didn't quite turn out like that though we go at Burnley who don't really know what's hit them McB scores a cracking diving header, JLT makes up for his C3PO moment, Anel gets in on the act and McB rounds it all off by rolling a loose ball into an empty net, could be question marks of offside against Anel and Baldocks involvement in the 5th but still. In the 2nd half we were making chance after chance and to be fair to the bomb scare in goal for Burnley he did make three good saves to make the scoreline look a bit less of a complete drubbing. A game that really did fill up the senses.
Wes 7
Baldock 7
Anel 8
Egan 7
Robbo 7
Stevens 6
Fleck 6
Norwood 8
Osborn 7
Ndiaye 8
McBurnie 10

I'll give all the subs a 6

Hecky 9

Sharp 4/10? Okay he didn't do a lot but he was there to be a calming influence, give the big beardy jock a rest, and see out the game. We didn't need to do owt on 80 mins apart from not concede. Mission accomplished.

Can't speyk.

Oh, wait ...

pommpey
Generally spot on, but for Osborn who failed timeand time again to mark his man, often being 10:yards out of position. Granted he improved in the second half, but he was a 6/7 at best for me.

Back
Top Bottom