My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

McBurnie, Norwood and Osborn were all 9/10s for me today and I agree that none of the starters were below a 7.

Utterly fantastic
All 3 were excellent but I'd just put big Ollie slightly ahead with his 2 goals and his all round game - he was brilliant.

Immense performances today by so many of our lads and we gave the top side in the division a thrashing which could have been even more (7/8 -2)

We then had a long discussion on m.o.t.m but couldn't separate Norwood, McBurnie and NDiaye who were all phenomenal.

Wowser!!!

Thanks Pommpey.

I`m still smiling and buzzing especially after watching the highlights just now. Sky said it was one of the best matches of the season. Wow.
You have to admit though at first glance Ndiaye and McB are the most unlikely pairing up front but for some crazy crazy crazy reason its starting to work.
McB admitting he cant train due to the Hernia how long can he go on and if he has it during the WC which McB will come out the other side ?

Loved that today .. throwback to some of the old. Warnock teams comebacks of yesteryear .. showed a lot of character today to twice comeback from being behind & then blitz them .
McBurnie MOTM today bullied there back line ... from front to back excellent today ..glad JLT got his redemption too ⚔️
Bring on toy town of Tues

Can't speyk.

I ... and so many others are expecting a resurgent, well fancied Burnley to come to Bramall Lane today and literally fuck us up the arse, and put our recent achievements in scruffy away wins into sharp, Sheffield Unitedlike perspective and expose the bald facts about our lack of potency due to a gathering storm of injuries to the fore. Team line up looked optimistic and somewhat laughable. Osborn in midfield, Enda back at LWB and Fleck shoved in to make up the numbers. What the fuck was Hecky doing? Furthermore, coming out of this 0-3 down to disconcertment cascading down from the well stocked terraces as we possibly drop to sixth and lose to Rotherham ...

Make no apologies for this. It's what we're used to.

But as ever, we are Bladesmen and as my dad always said, Sheffield United are unpredictable. This actually works both ways sometimes. Seem to remember us going away to Leeds a few years ago and tubbing them 4-0 at Bellend Road and certainly, no one expected us to beat Liverpool in the LC at BDTBL either a while ago. But take on Burnley at Bramall Lane and batter them 5-2? After going behind twice and being 1-2 down at HT? Have so many shots on target and look like a fucking Premier League team doing so with effectively a second string team? Fuck off!

We started really, really well. Instead of tentatively trying to play football in and around Burnley and not looking much like getting the ball to the strikers we did exactly the opposite - we went at them and played a high game up in their back garden and created chances that actually made the most of the new Deane/Agana partnership up front. Everyone seemed to be getting involved in the game, no slackers. Okay, Benson was ragging Stevens a lot and they came back into the game a bit and then, out of nowhere, they have a smash at goal which seems to be well covered except Robinson makes a despairing lunge and heads it the wrong way past Fods. To me, it was 'one of them things' and had he got more contact it would have ended up in the Kop. I can't blame Robinson for it. He was doing his job - defending. It just didn't evolve the right way. I felt sorry for him.

But what we didn't do is let Burnley control the game as we went at them. They tried, but a surprisingly well organised midfield (who I thought would struggle like fuck) just kept Burnley out of the game and we looked like we actually deserved an equaliser. After some pretty flawless into-the-box distribution from JLT and Norwood/Fleck from the corners it was nailed on someone would make the contact and score. Characteristically it bounces off NDaiye's knee in the end and we are deservedly level and in honest terms likely to beat these fuckers. But wait ...

Fodders chucks the ball (wrongly, to me) across the pitch to JLT who has a C3PO moment and fucking doddy-foots it letting a very sharp Benson in who makes no mistake to send us in astoundingly behind at HT. I get it ... I could hear everyone's inner thoughts of Burnley further shafting us dry in the second half or reducing us to shot after shot ending up in the kop. But hey ... pessimistic old me didn't feel that at all. I had real faith that this team of misfits and substitutes might actually prove their worth in the team and for the shirt. To me we were far better than the score suggested. Something was clicking out there and Burnley, for all their league position and manager pedigree, were there for the taking. They looked scared and vulnerable, like a bully that had had a slap from a dweeb. There was more to this game ...

Second half ... fuck me what a blitz. We still went at them and Burnley looked shell shocked and barely able to cope. It was us ... Sheffield United ... showing that firstly the post-international blues were over, secondly that Burnley were the ones in the exhalted, false position but mainly that we were a fucking force to be reckoned with, even with several key players out of the matchday squad and of those playing, many still tired and hobbling from the midweek triumph. I thought we'd run out of steam. We didn't. McBurnie was a constant pain in the arse for them, NDaiye everything you don't want 90 minutes against and the assumed limitations of the midfield and Stevens never' ever evident. It was the game of their lives and 'It's LIVE ... on SKY!'

The goals just kept coming. A well poached diving header from McB, a stadium destroying piece of kudos from JLT, a deserved reward for Anel and McBs payoff gave us four goals in a second half fightback I have never witnessed in my gathering years as a Blade supporter. It had everything about our story as a club in an hour and a half and it was luxuriant living watching the top of the table team ... well fancied by all ... to get the fucking spanking we have been waiting to give. It's all ver well and good bumming Peterborough. That's like kicking a cripple. Smacking Burnley square in the chops and putting them on their arse is what I'm saying, blud.

Foderingham 7/10: Decent catches, diving collects and a couple of good saves. After that ... nowt much to do
Baldock 7.5/10: Worked extremely hard to deal with Burnley's wing threat until the second half when they just gave up. Still a good performance
Anel 7.5/10: Not a classic Anel match but in a sense it was, because he scored a well dug-out goal and tried a scissor kick ... he did what? ... in their box. At times in the first half he wasn't his-self but as the game went on much more the Anel we know. Good assist for McBs first
Egan 7.5/10: Much improved and resilient against a somewhat invisible (possibly because of him) attacking threat
JLT 7.5/10: Hate to dock him marks. Not at fault for that first o.g. He was doing his job and it didn't turn out what he intended. The second one? Yeah ... C3PO. But got his head back in it and didn't let it get to him. And he fucking scored. In reality, an 8/10, but actually a half mark for his doddy-footed fuck up
Stevens 7/10: I know he was run ragged by their winger but again didn't let him get under his skin and was part of an effective trio out left all things considered. He is slowing up though. We need to acknowledge this. Today he worked his arse off but was limited and vulnerable
Osborn 8/10: Thought he had a great game and grafted hard to make some or other difference well out of position. Linked well inside and outside to keep the momentum up
Norwood 9.5/10: Best game I have seen him play for some years. Committed and involved - this against his hometown team and against on paper a better midfield. When needed to Hollywood he did just that but above all else it was effective. Outside of that he battled and stopped Burnley dominating. Just lacked a goal if anything. Great set up for a the marauding Baldock for McBs second and some pretty flawless corners too
Fleck 7/10: A better performance from him if not as effective as three years ago in the same fixture. Still nowhere near as good as he has been for us
McBurnie 9/10: We have a striker back and possibly ... if the stars align ... one as good as Brian Deane himself. For me to go from rating him at a 3 and calling him McPub to today where he looked excellent in defence and attack shows the development and revolution that has happened with him. I was convinced 12 months ago he was sellable at a loss and a total waste of space. Now he is on fire and a player of absolute worth
Ndaiye 8.5/10: A absolute star of a player. he's so slinky, controls well, pops up and scores and completes our front line

Basham 6/10: Pushed into RM in hoc of Stevens giving way to Osborn at LWB. Don't think he did too badly. His wisdom and composure was evident and characteristically for him we saw him in advance positions a lot to keep the pressure on
Sharp 4/10: Not really effective up front save for pressure and graft
Arblaster: Not marked
Brooks: Not marked

All to play for again now and we are back in the box seat. We have dented Burnley's paintwork and smashed their headlights out with today's display of Sheffield United at their best in a packed stadium of fervour. A game in hand and a better goal difference and a game at home against Toytown coming up to boot. We could go top into another international break!

Oh, wait ...

pommpey
Another quality assessment Pomps 👏

Generally spot on, but for Osborn who failed timeand time again to mark his man, often being 10:yards out of position. Granted he improved in the second half, but he was a 6/7 at best for me.

Osborn had a similar game to the Norwich game.
Seemed a bit out of his depth the 1st half of both games, it was as though he was trying to used use to his position.

However in both games he massively improved second half and had a really good game.
Deserves credit for not allowing his head to drop and showing that improvement.

PS: Great write-up from Pompey, so entertaining to read.

Can't speyk.

I ... and so many others are expecting a resurgent, well fancied Burnley to come to Bramall Lane today and literally fuck us up the arse, and put our recent achievements in scruffy away wins into sharp, Sheffield Unitedlike perspective and expose the bald facts about our lack of potency due to a gathering storm of injuries to the fore. Team line up looked optimistic and somewhat laughable. Osborn in midfield, Enda back at LWB and Fleck shoved in to make up the numbers. What the fuck was Hecky doing? Furthermore, coming out of this 0-3 down to disconcertment cascading down from the well stocked terraces as we possibly drop to sixth and lose to Rotherham ...

But as ever, we are Bladesmen and as my dad always said, Sheffield United are unpredictable. This actually works both ways sometimes. Seem to remember us going away to Leeds a few years ago and tubbing them 4-0 at Bellend Road and certainly, no one expected us to beat Liverpool in the LC at BDTBL either a while ago. But take on Burnley at Bramall Lane and batter them 5-2? After going behind twice and being 1-2 down at HT? Have so many shots on target and look like a fucking Premier League team doing so with effectively a second string team? Fuck off!

We started really, really well. Instead of tentatively trying to play football in and around Burnley and not looking much like getting the ball to the strikers we did exactly the opposite - we went at them and played a high game up in their back garden and created chances that actually made the most of the new Deane/Agana partnership up front. Everyone seemed to be getting involved in the game, no slackers. Okay, Benson was ragging Stevens a lot and they came back into the game a bit and then, out of nowhere, they have a smash at goal which seems to be well covered except Robinson makes a despairing lunge and heads it the wrong way past Fods. To me, it was 'one of them things' and had he got more contact it would have ended up in the Kop. I can't blame Robinson for it. He was doing his job - defending. It just didn't evolve the right way. I felt sorry for him.

But what we didn't do is let Burnley control the game as we went at them. They tried, but a surprisingly well organised midfield (who I thought would struggle like fuck) just kept Burnley out of the game and we looked like we actually deserved an equaliser. After some pretty flawless into-the-box distribution from JLT and Norwood/Fleck from the corners it was nailed on someone would make the contact and score. Characteristically it bounces off NDaiye's knee in the end and we are deservedly level and in honest terms likely to beat these fuckers. But wait ...

Fodders chucks the ball (wrongly, to me) across the pitch to JLT who has a C3PO moment and fucking doddy-foots it letting a very sharp Benson in who makes no mistake to send us in astoundingly behind at HT. I get it ... I could hear everyone's inner thoughts of Burnley further shafting us dry in the second half or reducing us to shot after shot ending up in the kop. But hey ... pessimistic old me didn't feel that at all. I had real faith that this team of misfits and substitutes might actually prove their worth in the team and for the shirt. To me we were far better than the score suggested. Something was clicking out there and Burnley, for all their league position and manager pedigree, were there for the taking. They looked scared and vulnerable, like a bully that had had a slap from a dweeb. There was more to this game ...

Second half ... fuck me what a blitz. We still went at them and Burnley looked shell shocked and barely able to cope. It was us ... Sheffield United ... showing that firstly the post-international blues were over, secondly that Burnley were the ones in the exhalted, false position but mainly that we were a fucking force to be reckoned with, even with several key players out of the matchday squad and of those playing, many still tired and hobbling from the midweek triumph. I thought we'd run out of steam. We didn't. McBurnie was a constant pain in the arse for them, NDaiye everything you don't want 90 minutes against and the assumed limitations of the midfield and Stevens never' ever evident. It was the game of their lives and 'It's LIVE ... on SKY!'

The goals just kept coming. A well poached diving header from McB, a stadium destroying piece of kudos from JLT, a deserved reward for Anel and McBs payoff gave us four goals in a second half fightback I have never witnessed in my gathering years as a Blade supporter. It had everything about our story as a club in an hour and a half and it was luxuriant living watching the top of the table team ... well fancied by all ... to get the fucking spanking we have been waiting to give. It's all ver well and good bumming Peterborough. That's like kicking a cripple. Smacking Burnley square in the chops and putting them on their arse is what I'm saying, blud.

Foderingham 7/10: Decent catches, diving collects and a couple of good saves. After that ... nowt much to do
Baldock 7.5/10: Worked extremely hard to deal with Burnley's wing threat until the second half when they just gave up. Still a good performance
Anel 7.5/10: Not a classic Anel match but in a sense it was, because he scored a well dug-out goal and tried a scissor kick ... he did what? ... in their box. At times in the first half he wasn't his-self but as the game went on much more the Anel we know. Good assist for McBs first
Egan 7.5/10: Much improved and resilient against a somewhat invisible (possibly because of him) attacking threat
JLT 7.5/10: Hate to dock him marks. Not at fault for that first o.g. He was doing his job and it didn't turn out what he intended. The second one? Yeah ... C3PO. But got his head back in it and didn't let it get to him. And he fucking scored. In reality, an 8/10, but actually a half mark for his doddy-footed fuck up
Stevens 7/10: I know he was run ragged by their winger but again didn't let him get under his skin and was part of an effective trio out left all things considered. He is slowing up though. We need to acknowledge this. Today he worked his arse off but was limited and vulnerable
Osborn 8/10: Thought he had a great game and grafted hard to make some or other difference well out of position. Linked well inside and outside to keep the momentum up
Norwood 9.5/10: Best game I have seen him play for some years. Committed and involved - this against his hometown team and against on paper a better midfield. When needed to Hollywood he did just that but above all else it was effective. Outside of that he battled and stopped Burnley dominating. Just lacked a goal if anything. Great set up for a the marauding Baldock for McBs second and some pretty flawless corners too
Fleck 7/10: A better performance from him if not as effective as three years ago in the same fixture. Still nowhere near as good as he has been for us
McBurnie 9/10: We have a striker back and possibly ... if the stars align ... one as good as Brian Deane himself. For me to go from rating him at a 3 and calling him McPub to today where he looked excellent in defence and attack shows the development and revolution that has happened with him. I was convinced 12 months ago he was sellable at a loss and a total waste of space. Now he is on fire and a player of absolute worth
Ndaiye 8.5/10: A absolute star of a player. he's so slinky, controls well, pops up and scores and completes our front line

Basham 6/10: Pushed into RM in hoc of Stevens giving way to Osborn at LWB. Don't think he did too badly. His wisdom and composure was evident and characteristically for him we saw him in advance positions a lot to keep the pressure on

All to play for again now and we are back in the box seat. We have dented Burnley's paintwork and smashed their headlights out with today's display of Sheffield United at their best in a packed stadium of fervour. A game in hand and a better goal difference and a game at home against Toytown coming up to boot. We could go top into another international break!

Oh, wait ...

pommpey
Triple Rum Ration stuff was that pommps, and, as usual, an entertaining read.

Good read and agree re the Robinson comments we are easy to criticise he showed tremendous character today chuffed for him you could see how much it hurt him and how much he appreciated the team digging him out

Brilliant 2nd half performance UTB

The turnaround in Mcburnie is down to Hecky and Ollie himself, Hecky in great man management and coaching and Ollie manning up and making the changes that needed to be made and we are the beneficiaries of that, we've got the player we signed.

The turnaround in Mcburnie is down to Hecky and Ollie himself, Hecky in great man management and coaching and Ollie manning up and making the changes that needed to be made and we are the beneficiaries of that, we've got the player we signed.
Could have drawn inspiration from how Billy Sharp has handled himself aswell, who's looked fitter and played some of his best football in recent seasons in his twilight years.

2nd half performance was just awesome, right up there with awesomeness
The Burnley winger in the 1st half was quite brilliant tbh, Stevens was absolutely done every time he got the ball
What a game, loved it could have scored 7 in the second half

Can't speyk.

Oh, wait ...

pommpey

Outstanding summary , one which some the true greats of the genre such as Hugh McIlvanney would have been proud and might well have produced had he been able to use such phrases as ‘dry bumming’ and ‘doddy-footed fuck up’. :)

Outstanding summary , one which some the true greats of the genre such as Hugh McIlvanney would have been proud and might well have produced had he been able to use such phrases as ‘dry bumming’ and ‘doddy-footed fuck up’. :)

I must admit to poaching such literary descriptiveness from other geniuses of the vernacular.

'Dry bummed' has been in and around naval circles for many years now (as a saying, hopefully), descriptive of someone on the end of an unfortunate and undeserved mishap or aggressive pasting to which resistance is somewhat futile and wasted. Rather like being held down in a potting shed and savagely taken up the tea-towel holder by desperate inmates in some godforsaken penal institution a long time ago.

'Doddy-footed' I attribute to my great friend from Gleadless Valley Mark Ullyett whilst describing Tottenham Hotspur's Irish international goalkeeper Pat Jennings circa 1976, addressing his curious, loping, toes-in gait when booting the ball far down the pitch onto the heads of Martin Chivers and Alan Gilzean. From the kop the call went 'Nah-den Jennings, thar doddy-footed cunt!' I don't know it 'Big Pat' heard him or if it put him off somewhat, but to me it still describes someone like JLT who occasionally can't sort his fucking feet out and pays for it.

pommpey

I said to the father in law at half time that i had a feeling that JLT's mistake would galvanise he players and sure enough.

I was so pleased for Robbo when he got his goal.

Spot on report as usual pommpey, what an awesome afternoon

Thanks Pommpey.

I`m still smiling and buzzing especially after watching the highlights just now. Sky said it was one of the best matches of the season. Wow.
You have to admit though at first glance Ndiaye and McB are the most unlikely pairing up front but for some crazy crazy crazy reason its starting to work.
McB admitting he cant train due to the Hernia how long can he go on and if he has it during the WC which McB will come out the other side ?
i had an umbilical hernia operation last year, 2-6 weeks recovery , i took 2 weeks off work and did light duties for a couple of weeks , should be reight after world cup

I must admit to poaching such literary descriptiveness from other geniuses of the vernacular.

'Dry bummed' has been in and around naval circles for many years now (as a saying, hopefully), descriptive of someone on the end of an unfortunate and undeserved mishap or aggressive pasting to which resistance is somewhat futile and wasted. Rather like being held down in a potting shed and savagely taken up the tea-towel holder by desperate inmates in some godforsaken penal institution a long time ago.

'Doddy-footed' I attribute to my great friend from Gleadless Valley Mark Ullyett whilst describing Tottenham Hotspur's Irish international goalkeeper Pat Jennings circa 1976, addressing his curious, loping, toes-in gait when booting the ball far down the pitch onto the heads of Martin Chivers and Alan Gilzean. From the kop the call went 'Nah-den Jennings, thar doddy-footed cunt!' I don't know it 'Big Pat' heard him or if it put him off somewhat, but to me it still describes someone like JLT who occasionally can't sort his fucking feet out and pays for it.

pommpey
a reference to Scum in there pommpey , tug mi forelock in your direction mate

pommpey
If you want to utilize navy vernacular, Burnley can now be called ‘The Golden Rivet’ I will leave that translation to you mate. ;)
That team was representative of the possible achievements of a small group of council workmen, surrounded by adequate supervisors. Not one player was seen leaning on his shovel. Great teamwork.

Can't speyk.

Oh, wait ...

pommpey
Spot on in all aspects Pommps. I too was expecting a rapid and vicious dry bumming from Burnley, yet apart from a short spell in the first half they were never looking like accomplishing it. Probably your best take yet, can’t disagree with anything.

Can't speyk.

Oh, wait ...

pommpey
Absolutely bob on again dude 👏

Next!

What a game. Can’t stop smiling to myself.
Seemed to take Ndiaye a while to get into the game - but 2nd half he was everywhere.
McB - absolutely brilliant & long may it continue. Looks like he’s really enjoying his togger.
I'd agree he was pretty quiet for half hour.

But 2nd half...shit the bed he must have beenntold Real scouts were there

Nice write up pommps.

Say what you like about Robbo but he gives his all when he pulls on the Blades jersey.

Stinker of a first half and could easily have been subbed, or worse, stayed on and get totally demoralised. He always puts himself about in the opposition box from corners (the storming header at QPR was a gem of a goal) and today when he scuffed the ball in the net to make it 3-2 the whole of the ground knew what that meant to him - including the players.

He may not be the best player on the books but he's one of the most committed.
Loved his interview.

"When I scored I was hoping the gaffer would take me off so I didn't mess up again"

Or words to that effect

Back
Top Bottom