My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Welcome back.

Strap yourselves in, it's gonna be one of those seasons. On pre season performances, pretty shit signings an acquisitions, the weeping sore of injuries and tonight's stupid team selection, I'd say it's business as usual. MGW kicked the last ball for us last season and fucked off and evidently took with him Sheffield United's last hope of putting some sort of performance together. And no, I don't conceded 'Watford were PL last season'. Most of our players have played in the PL. But then again, many of them have been at the club longer, and are hanging round like the smell a mucky fanny gives off. Not one that's recently been in action the night before. No. One that has been hanging round in the same set of pants for weeks and belongs to the insane and aged. That's what Stevens, Norwood, Fleck and some others are. Add to that those still here and quietly released we have spunked copious cocksfull of cash on ... you know who I mean ... 'Wilder's Great Gambles' and we have what we have out there tonight.

I had a riposte at Nick Sheff Utd Way's team lineup earlier today on twitter:

Screenshot 2022-08-01 222950 2.jpg

Nick, in his genial manner came back to ask what I think the lineup should be, but I couldn't answer as really, we haven't signed anyone I feel can improve that, but the key point was the centre mid pairing of pointy and Jimmy. Then:

Screenshot 2022-08-01 1.jpg

Now, if you are @pingpoongpeterg, have the fucking grace to substantiate your stupidity and square your statements with tonight's fucking abject outing. Let's not forget also that signing an unknown banned player and the fucking appalling fitness and conditioning which blighted our club into the end of last season and still plagues it two and a half months later is another thing which needs addressing. Maybe for later.

But the lineup was basically asking for a pretty iffy Watford, stripped largely of any last-season capability in real terms must have been rubbing their fucking hands when they saw us beaten by Sunday League sides, an impressive injury list and a lineup which spelled 'WILDERBALL' in big, polished, neon letters. Indeed, the kickoff was played back to one of those 'better centre mids' who typically humped it long to the wing where three players were waiting for Baldock. Five hollywood passes later and we still hadn't created anything. Only Baldock was actually bothering getting down the right flank and Stevens on the other side looked like he couldn't be arsed. No idea why he and RND had swapped places - Stevens is more a CB than RND and with Gordon on the bench, why were we shaking the dice with two wingbacks like that anyway?

Watford didn't actually do anything special. Typically, they just waited for us to fuck things up. Jebbison and N'Daiye had to do much of the donkeywork themselves. N'Daiye spent much of his game digging his own furrow because Fleck, Norwood and Berge were just shambolic behind him. None of them carried the ball forward, none of them threatened and definitely none of them created chances, save for Jebbos cheeky chip which my dad could have saved, and he lies six foot under in Hutcliffe Wood at the moment. The first half started reasonably steadily but by the time we'd allowed them a few goes on goal (and a great stop by Wes) the die had been set. Both our '2 better centre mids' showed little if anything but why should they? We've been hanging on a moderate performance from the pair of the useless fuckers for three seasons now, some offering shit like 'Norwood makes us tick' and other even piss-weaker excuses for the shamefully crap John Fleck, not showing less in output than the tosser that eventually was John Lunstram. Behind him, Ciaran Clark seems to be the Oliver Burke of the backline, full of inept errors and misjudgements and just easy to get past or expose. Sander Berge ... the longer the game went on the more transparent he became until all we could see was a floating United badge. Lowe came on for Stevens and we lived in desperate hope he'd improve things but within five minutes was were begging for Enda to come back.

We huffed and we puffed an up comes a corner and from a simply pathetic set play, Fleck fucks it up and Watford are on us. It was like you see a kid waving his hand in a cats face trying to be cunty and suddenly the moggy pounces, clamps his paws round the offending arm, bites a fucking chunk and gives six clawed kicks leaving the chabby rooering and bleeding profusely. Sure, the pass was offside, but who gives a fat fuck? I'll not argue much given our team was so fucking useless in snuffing out the counter ... and we have seen our players look like the fucking keystone cops too many times before, haven't we? So it was. You could have almost started the Benny Hill theme 'Yakkity Sax' from the moment it left Norwood's boot until the moment it hit Wes's net not ten seconds later.

Hecky tried to emulate Weigman's canny substitutions to 'change the game' and hauled the liability that was Clark off for Khedra, Norwood thankfully fucked off hopefully to be transfer listed and shifted out and Jebbo went for Brewster, and less touches for the poor kid. It changed things vestigially. We stopped giving the ball away but still couldn't penetrate or create. Both Berge and Khedra looked simultaneously like their internal narrative was "Fucking hell. Do I really have to play with these dickheads?' Osborn also came on, apparently.

Finally, Billy Sharp came on to at least make everyone believe the forwards were part of United's team but their goalkeeper was sat in a tin bath reading a copy of Razzle for the last fifteen minutes. Watford simply managed us out of the last extended minutes safe in the knowledge that we are just a disorganised, talent free, poorly assembled squad of League One hopefuls, easy meat for three points and clearly reliant on one player for our flattering position last season. Millwall must have watched that game and texted each other in glee about Saturday's game. Sticking my neck out here but I can see Berge gone soon and Hecky sacked by the end of October. Tell me I'm wrong.

Foderingham 7.5/10: A great stop from a header in the first half and some safe ground stops. No chance with their goal
Baldock 4/10: Usual busy but ineffective run up and down the wing. May as well have carried a flag whilst he was doing it for all he achieved
Clark 1/10: Rubbish. Exposed, poor reading and poor defending for the hour he was on. Send him back. This season's Goode
Egan 4/10: At a push, Some decent interceptions but stretched and still lost without O'Connell. Three seasons now I have been saying that.
RND 3/10: Dogshit performance in an unfamiliar position. Hopelessly exposed especially aerially
Stevens 3/10: He's done. Fucking sell him or just give him back to Pompey
Berge 5/10: If that. Made some effort but by 75 minutes his face spelled it all out that he'd joined a pup of a club going nowhere
Norwood 1/10: He gets '1' for a few blocks and interceptions but was his usual dispossessed, chasing shadows, long-ball-to nowhere level of shitness. As said, if he played against Lena Oberdorf today, she would have fucking broken him like a fucking Weetabix. Please - everyone: Stop this 'Norwood makes us tick' horseshit and 'we are a better team with him in it'. Neither of these are true and you need to stop taking the deludamol. He points a lot. He boots it long. If that is your measure of what makes a good defensive midfielder, then you clearly don't watch much football.
Fleck 0/10: There was just no redeeming aspects in his game tonight. He was simply shit from start to finish and needs to be either terminated contractually or loaned out to a club where he would make his mark, like Brunsmeer Celtic or Throstles B.
N'Daiye 5.5/10: Tried his fucking best to get some purchase and create chances. But there is a big hole in his pitch now that is Morgan Gibbs-White shaped and don't we all know it?
Jebbison 2/10: Cheeky chip. Poor kid. Absolutely nothing else to get at because the midfield are too fucking busy trying not to fuck up and then fucking up

Lowe 2/10: Dreadful return. Passing was abysmal and he was run ragged
Osborn 3/10: If that. Saw him chase, but he simply not even Championship level
Khedra 5/10: Showed 'some' promise but then again, when you are surrounded by turds, even a diamond smells of shit
Brewster 3/10: No more 'poor kid'. He's been at the club long enough with a big price tag to now know what to do. Mind you, it would help it the team found him with the ball
Sharp 2/10: Not enough time or bandwidth to make any effect

Heckingbottom 1/10: Shoulders FULL responsibility for all of this. The signings, the injuries, the pre season, the team selection and tonight utterly predictable and utterly shit performance and result. It's his bag. He needs to stop fucking playing Wilderball, have the potatoes to drop players who have been there too long and start rebuilding this team to even survive this division, once again. Tick-tock, Hecky. Get the fuck on with it.

pommpey

Last edited:

• Banned
Welcome back.

Strap yourselves in, it's gonna be one of those seasons. On pre season performances, pretty shit signings an acquisitions, the weeping sore of injuries and tonight's stupid team selection, I'd say it's business as usual. MGW kicked the last ball for us last season and fucked off and evidently took with him Sheffield United's last hope of putting some sort of performance together. And no, I don't conceded 'Watford were PL last season'. Most of our players have played in the PL. But then again, many of them have been at the club longer, and are hanging round like the smell a mucky fanny gives off. Not one that's recently been in action the night before. No. One that has been hanging round in the same set of pants for weeks and belongs to the insane and aged. That's what Stevens, Norwood, Fleck and some others are. Add to that those still here and quietly released we have spunked copious cocksfull of cash on ... you know who I mean ... 'Wilder's Great Gambles' and we have what we have out there tonight.

View attachment 140870

Nick, in his genial manner came back to ask what I think the lineup should be, but I couldn't answer as really, we haven't signed anyone I feel can improve that, but the key point was the centre mid pairing of pointy and Jimmy. Then:

View attachment 140871

Now, if you are @pingpoongpeterg, have the fucking grace to substantiate your stupidity and square your statements with tonight's fucking abject outing. Let's not forget also that signing an unknown banned player and the fucking appalling fitness and conditioning which blighted our club into the end of last season and still plagues it two and a half months later is another thing which needs addressing. Maybe for later.

But the lineup was basically asking for a pretty iffy Watford, stripped largely of any last-season capability in real terms must have been rubbing their fucking hands when they saw us beaten by Sunday League sides, an impressive injury list and a lineup which spelled 'WILDERBALL' in big, polished, neon letters. Indeed, the kickoff was played back to one of those 'better centre mids' who typically humped it long to the wing where three players were waiting for Baldock. Five hollywood passes later and we still hadn't created anything. Only Baldock was actually bothering getting down the right flank and Stevens on the other side looked like he couldn't be arsed. No idea why he and RND had swapped places - Stevens is more a CB than RND and with Gordon on the bench, why were we shaking the dice with two wingbacks like that anyway?

Watford didn't actually do anything special. Typically, they just waited for us to fuck things up. Jebbison and N'Daiye had to do much of the donkeywork themselves. N'Daiye spent much of his game digging his own furrow because Fleck, Norwood and Berge were just shambolic behind him. None of them carried the ball forward, none of them threatened and definitely none of them created chances, save for Jebbos cheeky chip which my dad could have saved, and he lies six foot under in Hutcliffe Wood at the moment. The first half started reasonably stadily but by the time we'd allowed them a few goes on goal (and a great stop by Wes) the die had been set. Both our '2 better centre mids' showed little if anything but why should they? We've been hanging on a moderate performance from the pair of the useless fuckers for three seasons now, some offering shit like 'Norwood makes us tick' and other even piss-weaker excuses for the shamefully crap John Fleck, not showing less in output than the tosser that eventually was John Lunstram. Behind him, Ciaran Clark seems to be the Oliver Burke of the backline, full of inept errors and misjudgements and just easy to get past or expose. Sander Berge ... the longer the game went on the more transparent he became until all we could see was a floating United badge. Lowe came on for Stevens and we lived in desperate hope he'd improve things but within five minutes was were begging for Enda to come back.

We huffed and we puffed an up comes a corner and from a simply pathetic set play, Fleck fucks it up and Watford are on us. It was like you see a kid waving his hand in a cats face trying to be cunty and suddenly the moggy pounces, clamps his paws round the offending arm, bites a fucking chunk and gives six clawed kicks leaving the chabby rooering and bleeding profusely. Sure, the pass was offside, but who gives a fat fuck? I'll not argue much given our team was so fucking useless in snuffing out the counter ... and we have seen our players look like the fucking keystone cops too many times before, haven't we? So it was. You could have almost started the Benny Hill theme 'Yakkity Sax' from the moment it left Norwood's boot until the moment it hit Wes's net not ten seconds later.

Hecky tried to emulate Weigman's canny substitutions to 'change the game' and hauled the liability that was Clark off for Khedra, Norwood thankfully fucked off hopefully to be transfer listed and shifted out and Jebbo went for Brewster, and less touches for the poor kid. It changed things vestigially. We stopped giving the ball away but still couldn't penetrate or create. Both Berge and Khedra looked simultaneously like their internal narrative was "Fucking hell. Do I really have to play with these dickheads?' Osborn also came on, apparently.

Finally, Billy Sharp came on to at least make everyone believe the forwards were part of United's team but their goalkeeper was sat in a tin bath reading a copy of Razzle for the last fifteen minutes. Watford simply managed us out of the last extended minutes safe in the knowledge that we are just a disorganised, talent free, poorly assembled squad of League One hopefuls, easy meat for three points and clearly reliant on one player for our flattering position last season. Millwall must have watched that game and texted each other in glee about Saturday's game. Sticking my neck out here but I can see Berge gone soon and Hecky sacked by the end of October. Tell me I'm wrong.

Foderingham 7.5/10: A great stop from a header in the first half and some safe ground stops. No chance with their goal
Baldock 4/10: Usual busy but ineffective run up and down the wing. May as well have carried a flag whilst he was doing it for all he achieved
Clark 1/10: Rubbish. Exposed, poor reading and poor defending for the hour he was on. Send him back. This season's Goode
Egan 4/10: At a push, Some decent interceptions but stretched and still lost without O'Connell. Three seasons now I have been saying that.
RND 3/10: Dogshit performance in an unfamiliar position. Hopelessly exposed especially aerially
Berge 5/10: If that. Made some effort but by 75 minutes his face spelled it all out that he'd joined a pup of a club going nowhere
Norwood 1/10: He gets '1' for a few blocks and interceptions but was his usual dispossessed, chasing shadows, long-ball-to nowhere level of shitness. As said, if he played against Lena Oberdorf today, she would have fucking broken him like a fucking Weetabix. Please - everyone: Stop this 'Norwood makes us tick' horseshit and 'we are a better team with him in it'. Neither of these are true and you need to stop taking the deludamol. He points a lot. He boots it long. If that is your measure of what makes a good defensive midfielder, then you clearly don't watch much football.
Fleck 0/10: There was just no redeeming aspects in his game tonight. He was simply shit from start to finish and needs to be either terminated contractually or loaned out to a club where he would make his mark, like Brunsmeer Celtic or Throstles B.
N'Daiye 5.5/10: Tried his fucking best to get some purchase and create chances. But there is a big hole in his pitch now that is Morgan Gibbs-White shaped and don't we all know it?
Jebbison 2/10: Cheeky chip. Poor kid. Absolutely nothing else to get at because the midfield are too fucking busy trying not to fuck up and then fucking up

Khedra 5/10: Showed 'some' promise but then again, when you are surrounded by turds, even a diamond smells of shit
Brewster 3/10: No more 'poor kid'. He's been at the club long enough with a big price tag to now know what to do. Mind you, it would help it the team found him with the ball

Heckingbottom 1/10: Shoulders FULL responsibility for all of this. The signings, the injuries, the pre season, the team selection and tonight utterly predictable and utterly shit performance and result. It's his bag. He needs to stop fucking playing Wilderball, have the potatoes to drop players who have been there too long and start rebuilding this team to even survive this division, once again. Tick-tock, Hecky. get the fuck on with it.

pommpey

First of the first

pommpey

Norwood and Clark deserve to have their utter gashdom emphasised.

I'd delete my Instagram too if I was that tosswank whilst trading as a "professional footballer".

But we all know that when the dust settles, it'll be Berge who gets the lion's share of the blame, why? Because the average IQ of this club's fanbase is approximately room-temperature....

I once again ask, how is it the signings fault.

Not Doyle’s fault he’s injured
The ban thing is very random but only one game
How’s that Khadra fault
Clark out of position

Okay. You're right. They are ace signings and they'll get us promoted.

Confident? Given our brilliance in getting people off the treatment table and keeping them uninjured, our brilliant backroom staff not kinda figuring Anus was banned, not starting Khedra and just 'Cairan Clark' can you really believe we this is our season?

pommpey

Okay. You're right. They are ace signings and they'll get us promoted.

Confident? Given our brilliance in getting people off the treatment table and keeping them uninjured, our brilliant backroom staff not kinda figuring Anus was banned, not starting Khedra and just 'Cairan Clark' can you really believe we this is our season?

pommpey
What the fuck are you on about. I asked why any of those reasons are the players fault. None are, you just want to moan about something

What the fucking hell did Lowe do to warrant any points? He was worse than fucking dire and he managed to stack up more than 90 minutes of shitness way beyond anybody who was actually on for 90 minutes. That was a Lee fucking Baxtreresque display. I get the 1 for Norwood but fuck me, Lowe made him look like fucking Gazza.

I disagree about the signings though, when they're fit and available they'll definitely be an improvement on the majority of that fucking soft as shit shower.

All individual performances were shite apart from Ndiaye + Wes.
But the manager's clueless , which is more worrying.
He has the audacity to pick that tubby Flecker whom everyone knows is never fit till October.
MGW carried our MF & strikers on his own back last season.
Their utter shitness will now shine through , like daylight through Berge's translucent shirt.
Oh Pompey , how I enjoy your reports , your line about Berge's floating shirt badge had me in stitches.
And Berge , though utterly ineffective , was nowhere near the worst of em.
We will get nowhere until we ship out the old dross from the Wilderball era.

You sound sad Pommps. Only time will tell if Hecky sees what everybody else saw. An awful midfield that puts everyone under pressure to perform miracles. 3 places are available for any of the squad to take. If he doesn't make changes there then he might as well start looking for a new job cause it'll only be time. I'm hoping he'll mull over this debacle and be bold and put Coulibaly, Arblaster and Berge in midfield. An engine, a fighter and a play maker. But what do I know. Good read by the way.

If you want to play 3 CBs , you will pose no attacking threat unless you have strong WBs and perhaps 2 of the CBs overlapping.
See our period of successful Wilderball with Bash , JoC , GB + Enda 2017-19.
But those players are no longer there at the same level.
So if you want to continue Wilderball , you would have to have groomed their replacements - which we haven't.
So now we're stuck with a manager who plays a kind of defective Wilderball. 3 CBs of whom none can overlap & 2 WBs who are past being capable of penetration , still getting pinged by the pointy one.
So we never look like making chances , let alone scoring.
This sheer crapness of this strategy was masked last season by the incredible force that was MGW.
BUT
As things now stand , we haven't a prayer of emulating last season's record under Hecky.
We have to shit or get off the pot.
We either have to get some WBs who can be dominant at this level
OR
drop Wilderball and get some legs into midfield.
The half-baked way we currently set-up with the players we have available right now is a recipe for the boring & frustrating stuff like tonight.

We are sadly a better team with Norwood in it
And that's what some of keep telling themselves I'm sure.

We may be a better team theoretically with Norwood in it, but the peak of our top level is massively lower than if we find a way to play without him.

And we won't ever do that if we keep picking him...

Welcome back.

View attachment 140870

View attachment 140871

Watford didn't actually do anything special. Typically, they just waited for us to fuck things up. Jebbison and N'Daiye had to do much of the donkeywork themselves. N'Daiye spent much of his game digging his own furrow because Fleck, Norwood and Berge were just shambolic behind him. None of them carried the ball forward, none of them threatened and definitely none of them created chances, save for Jebbos cheeky chip which my dad could have saved, and he lies six foot under in Hutcliffe Wood at the moment. The first half started reasonably steadily but by the time we'd allowed them a few goes on goal (and a great stop by Wes) the die had been set. Both our '2 better centre mids' showed little if anything but why should they? We've been hanging on a moderate performance from the pair of the useless fuckers for three seasons now, some offering shit like 'Norwood makes us tick' and other even piss-weaker excuses for the shamefully crap John Fleck, not showing less in output than the tosser that eventually was John Lunstram. Behind him, Ciaran Clark seems to be the Oliver Burke of the backline, full of inept errors and misjudgements and just easy to get past or expose. Sander Berge ... the longer the game went on the more transparent he became until all we could see was a floating United badge. Lowe came on for Stevens and we lived in desperate hope he'd improve things but within five minutes was were begging for Enda to come back.

Heckingbottom 1/10: Shoulders FULL responsibility for all of this. The signings, the injuries, the pre season, the team selection and tonight utterly predictable and utterly shit performance and result. It's his bag. He needs to stop fucking playing Wilderball, have the potatoes to drop players who have been there too long and start rebuilding this team to even survive this division, once again. Tick-tock, Hecky. Get the fuck on with it.

pommpey
OMG Please Hecky, you have to go! I wish I was as articulate as you pommps!!!
You’ve said it all!
I saw the team selection at 7 and shuffled to an empty uninterested local pub of 2 other people who’d bothered to turn up like I was going out to watch an episode of Emerdale!!
SHEFFIELD UNITED, YOU DIDNT LET US DOWN!
Hecky!!! F@$k off

Norwood and Clark deserve to have their utter gashdom emphasised.

I'd delete my Instagram too if I was that tosswank whilst trading as a "professional footballer".

But we all know that when the dust settles, it'll be Berge who gets the lion's share of the blame, why? Because the average IQ of this club's fanbase is approximately room-temperature....
What’s the IQ of the fan base got to do with incompetence!
I’ve had to listen to a room full of men chastise our women for being a poor excuse for footballers because they can’t accept that those so called weaker sex aren’t value for money!
I’ve just watched my team not defend, not complete a pass, not give more than 65%
Not know how to beat a very average opposition that the male media says was premier league beating championship!
I ask you!!!!
Some fan base knows the score, all of football dances to the tune of bullshit

Welcome back.

View attachment 140870

View attachment 140871

pommpey
Love it!
Absolutely spot on yet again 👏

Love it!
Absolutely spot on yet again 👏
I think you need to do some explaining on those ratings.

I'm not sure how Lowe ended up with more than Fleck and Norwood or anything at all! I actually started laughing at one point. Not sure what the opposite of the midas touch is but literally everything he touched turned to shit. He might possibly show some of his Forest form at a point. Might. But he will go a long way to repeat getting so many things wrong in such a short space. Wouldn't have been out of place in a Big Top. At least his shirt was the right size I suppose. I don't think you could even say that for Norwood. There was a massive gap around the neck.

I'd also take exception with little Ben. He gives the impression, facially at least that he's in control and knows what he's doing. But his little Tiny Tim body can't execute it. Anything involving Osborn and a throw in usually ends badly. Contributed naff all while looking busy. He's like the guy who leaves the office at 11 at night, sends you an email just before he leaves and when you checks his hours of work it's all riddled with red underline and not what you asked for anyway.

Special mention back to Norwood and Fleck. This gets better as time goes on. With 80% of the outfield in their box, our midfield Champions decide the best approach is to send it to the guy who scores once a season these days if you're lucky, and into an area which favours his wrong foot. I was watching it in bed on stream and chatting with a mate over messenger in UK. I had a slight delay to contend with. I got his message saying "Wow. Ridiculous". You can imagine my confusion when I was seeing Norwood about to take an attacking corner for us thinking how can the next 30 seconds possibly play out?

None of this sparing their feeling next time pommpey 😉

Last edited:
Cheers Pommps…what a start to the season, eh? Thanks for ‘telling the truth to power‘ once again.

Love the Yakity Sax bit about our totally inept attempt at chasing back to defend our own corner. 😂😂😂

I’ve been banging on for years and years about getting some pace, power and physicality into our midfield. But still we start with the Keystone bloody Cops. It’s awful. Just awful.

So it goes.

I watched the game again this evening. Much better to get a dispassionate view on a performance 2nd time around.

- Ciaran Clark is everything Newcastle fans said he was. One of the single worst debuts for the Blades I have ever seen. It looked like an Ali Dia situation at times. Every attack I remembered Watford making in the 1st half was in fact preceded by a Ciaran Clark mistake, he could single-handedly earn Watford millions more pounds for Dennis he made him look that good. I never thought I would say this, but I really pray Robbos injury isn't bad.

- Fleck and Norwood were almost as bad as I thought......with one nuance. Fleck was pretty good in spells. In fact Fleck was arguably our best player for the first 15 and last 15 of the game (which isn't saying much for the latter, when we were woeful). It was a bizarre performance, like he started out as 2019 John Fleck for the first 15, ran out of gas and did absolutely nothing for the next hour, then felt the weight of responsibility once Norwood went off.

- The gulf in class between Ndiaye, Berge and Egan and the rest of the squad is pretty big.

- Egan played really well mopping up all the self-defecating coming from all around him. Deserves an 8. underrated performance.

- Ndiaye was awesome, and I don't know what Hecky was thinking by bringing him off. Anything we were likely to create was going to come through him.

- Jebbo was lost the first 30min, then pretty good the next 30. If that's his learning curve, I would stick with him for the moment.

- All the subs were useless, including Khadra who had no end product.

- Stevens is still the best footballer amongst our LWBs. He didn't play badly but the injury felt inevitable.

Back
Top Bottom