My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Dammit, that's where I've seen this before! For some reason yesterday I kept thinking about our home game against Blackburn towards the end of our relegation season of 1978/79 where Blackburn were also battling relegation. They were down to 10 men very early in the game after a first-half red card but battled admirably and did us 1-0.

All we need is Tiswas on telly of a Saturday morning and Hammer House of Horror in the evening, then the feeling of watching United lose in the rain in between will complete the feeling a young Greenwich felt circa 1979-1981. Is it any wonder we grew up like we did?
Oh, and before Silent Blade says anything, yes, I know that that particular Blackburn match was a midweek game.

Jeez, where do we start with this!

Pommps as usual sums up well, cutting, witty, realistic, but in despair as we all are. It becomes hard to find the words to explain of how bad we all feel

Frightening where we are now. 100% agree Bash seems to be the only one left with bollocks in this shower of shit left by Wilder. Billy still has the heart, not the legs, unfortunately.

The rest, well......

The real sad thing in my opinion is that MGW and Ndieya have real potential, but even they are getting dragged down by the malaise of the Wilder remnants.

IMO, SJ has to clear out the yesteryear spent wankers from Wilder's legacy immediately. Their undisguised loss of belief in themselves is infecting the club, from fans to board. It has to be lanced. Or I fear the worst. Maybe they think if they get rid of SJ, WAK and the good times will return. Party time! Well it won't.

SJ comes well recommended and we are all puzzled by his current plans. We are told he is the second half season man. My only thoughts are, that he is playing the board for JTW. Look at this shower of shit I have to work with? I am playing the most expensive, highly paid, most experienced ex Premier League players in the club. They're crap. What can I do? Give me better.

The heart of this team has evaporated. I would prefer that he deletes the old skool. Plays his signings, youngsters, anyone not infected with the Wilder malaise. We may still not be good enough, but we wouldn't have to endure this turgid death by a thousand cuts. It's killing us all. Home matches have become a sufferance of despair. I used to love to visit the Lane. I still go, but ffs, it's tough watching these parasites draw the blood of our soul to fill their pockets. Deep I know, but it's what we all feel inside. The real shame is that they were our heroes not so long ago. That hurts. Charlatans all. Fuck'em.
Goodnight.

I wonder if McCabe won the court case he still would be the owner. would he have backed Wilder and got the dosh to pay for the players he wanted to sign?.
What your opinion fellow Blades. especially Pompey Silent Blade and Bert.

I wonder if McCabe won the court case he still would be the owner. would he have backed Wilder and got the dosh to pay for the players he wanted to sign?.

McCabe had history of not exactly opening his wallet for strengthening purposes. Wither this would have prevented Wilder buying the utter shit he did is open to conjecture. Let's put it this way, he didn't exactly ladle the fifties Warnock's way even when the squad went threadbare in areas. Not saying our relegation back then was all McCabe's doing, but a loan/purchase to replace or even cover for the injured Hulse may have helped.

Wilder got the players he wanted, especially in season two. The projected plan of us being in the top flight for several seasons guaranteed the outlay for this lot. The mere fact that it was game over two minutes in at home to Wolves must have loosened HRHs stools somewhat.

pommpey

McCabe would have sold up to Alan Pace.

See Greenwich Blade 's answer. Alan Pace would be our owners instead of Burnley's. McCabe would have got more money from the sale.

McCabe had history of not exactly opening his wallet for strengthening purposes. Wither this would have prevented Wilder buying the utter shit he did is open to conjecture. Let's put it this way, he didn't exactly ladle the fifties Warnock's way even when the squad went threadbare in areas. Not saying our relegation back then was all McCabe's doing, but a loan/purchase to replace or even cover for the injured Hulse may have helped.

Wilder got the players he wanted, especially in season two. The projected plan of us being in the top flight for several seasons guaranteed the outlay for this lot. The mere fact that it was game over two minutes in at home to Wolves must have loosened HRHs stools somewhat.

pommpey
No, McCabe would have sold the club to Alan Pace immediately. No point on speculating on what McCabe would have done to Wilder, Wilder had already met Alan Pace and listened to his plans.

He was at fault for the first and third really. The first he was turned back to front but the third he allowed Diaz unchallenged to tap in. But compared to the rest of the mediocre shower, he was immense (and that's not 9/10 immense, just 'better by comparison') because on the ball he looks so composed and canny and reads the route to the interception, header and the tackle. As said, he isn't flawless, but on that showing alone where everyone else looks so clueless, he is the better end of Sheffield United at the current reading. Quite why Slav has chosen to bench him for C3PO and Davies - both of them consistently underperforming and fragile - is beyond me. Basham sould play every game from now on. He is the standard we should play to and if the team did, we'd be up at the top end.

My band is an 80s synthpop tribute duo, HARDDRIVE. Had it running from 2002-2011 with a different keyboardist (and he was shit) and have rejuvenated it due to popular request down here. The new keyboardist is ace and we are almost full for bookings for next year, which has me both pleased and somewhat surprised. In this region there are too many 'classic rock/blues', classic blues/rock', 'classic rock/blues/rock/indie' bands who play the same old shit. Once you've heard 'Alright Now' and 'Sex On Fire' played by one band, you've heard it all. We cover Numan, Tears for Fears, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, most of Vince Clarke's output, Kershaw, Blancmange, PSBs, Howard Jones, OMD, Ultravox, Kraftwerk and of course, Sheffield's very own The Human League. Two of next year's bookings are a Friday and a Saturday in Sheffield. 18 years ago we played the Grapes in Trippet Lane (Nick Jansky has a great story about that gig and that story spurred me on in part to get the band back on the road) and this time we are at a venue in town not far from that and the second one isn't far from BDTBL either. I'll make an official announcement to plug them elsewhere on the forum and closer to the dates, if people want to come along and dance, sing, sling shit, call me a fat cunt or feyt me over a microphone :)

pommpey
Numan
OMD.
Kraftwerk.
Ultravox.
Sounds good to me.

Olsen and Davies are crap. Only Gibbs White showed potential but even he is currently sinking. All due to Slavisa.
Agreed Wilder left us with 4 terrible joke strikers.
And do not forget Hourihane.
Slavisa's most terrible signing.

I have mentioned on other threads but I got into the ground 5 mins into the game having driven over in shit conditions, then left at around 80 mins as we weren't going to score another.

All I saw was a terrible performance and an absolute battering by Blackburn. We showed nothing of any substance anywhere on the pitch. Bash was better than others but still all over the show and MGW tried a few things that didn't work and hit the bar when he really should have scored.

Sharp missed one of those chances that if Brewster misses everyone say "Sharp would have scored that". It was a piss weak effort.

2/10's with a 5/10 for Bash and a 5.5/10 for MGW at a push.

I have mentioned on other threads but I got into the ground 5 mins into the game having driven over in shit conditions, then left at around 80 mins as we weren't going to score another.

All I saw was a terrible performance and an absolute battering by Blackburn. We showed nothing of any substance anywhere on the pitch. Bash was better than others but still all over the show and MGW tried a few things that didn't work and hit the bar when he really should have scored.

Sharp missed one of those chances that if Brewster misses everyone say "Sharp would have scored that". It was a piss weak effort.

2/10's with a 5/10 for Bash and a 5.5/10 for MGW at a push.

After seeing what Fulham did to Blackburn and what Blackburn did to us I'm certainly glad Fulham aren't immediately on the horizon.

As much as I slated Ramsdale as being a liability,

pommpey
I think whilst Ramsdale in the early part of last season wasn't great he was never liability, and I'm not surprised that he's getting rave reviews this season. I appreciate that you're miffed, to say the least, with current performances, we all are. There's a lot wrong, but I think your report reads like we're Scunthorpe playing in the Champions League which would be totally inept and unable to compete; we are competing, in every game we have moments that if we took we'd likely get a point minimum. It's fine margins in many games, Blackpool a particular example - a game we should have won comfortably. I've read enough of your reports to know that they're very much glass half full, end of the world stuff. It's bad, but it's not as bad as what you're making out - in my opinion. That's not to say I disagree with everything you've said, but it depresses me more to read your report than it does watching us as I don't believe your reports are a true reflection, although Blackburn was bad but no one deserves a 1/10 for example, you'd be have to be almost not on the pitch for that score. I'm convinced that if we can sign a decent centre mid, Stuart McCall type, the whole team who improve vastly, it's not total destruction that is needed to this squad, it just needs refreshing and the players left in will raise their game, I'm fairly sure about that.

The problem we have is that sadly there isn't the quality within the squad as it stands for the team as a whole to raise their level to what is required, but I don't think we're far off either. I'd say we need two up two and play MGW in the Duffy role, sadly that means that Jack Robinson will have to come back as LCB but I still think we'd be better than now.

Last edited:
I think whilst Ramsdale in the early part of last season wasn't great he was never liability, and I'm not surprised that he's getting rave reviews this season. I appreciate that you're miffed, to say the least, with current performances, we all are. There's a lot wrong, but I think your report reads like we're Scunthorpe playing in the Champions League which would be totally inept and unable to compete; we are competing, in every game we have moments that if we took we'd likely get a point minimum. It's fine margins in many games, Blackpool a particular example - a game we should have won comfortably. I've read enough of your reports to know that they're very much glass half full, end of the world stuff. It's bad, but it's not as bad as what you're making out - in my opinion. That's not to say I disagree with everything you've said, but it depresses me more to read your report than it does watching us as I don't believe your reports are a true reflection, although Blackburn was bad but no one deserves a 1/10 for example, you'd be have to be almost not on the pitch for that score. I'm convinced that if we can sign a decent centre mid, Stuart McCall type, the whole team who improve vastly, it's not total destruction that is needed to this squad, it just needs refreshing and the players left in will raise their game, I'm fairly sure about that.

The problem we have is that sadly there isn't the quality within the squad as it stands for the team as a whole to raise their level to what is required, but I don't think we're far off either. I'd say we need two up two and play MGW in the Duffy role, sadly that means that Jack Robinson will have to come back as LCB but I still think we'd be better than now.
Deluded. Read the responses. We are shit at the moment. If you can't see that, and you think one player can change this meltdown, then you are more optimistic than me. The Wilder collapse continues. I feel sorry for Slav, but he needs to get a grip, unless he is playing a JTW game. Not one of us knows what is happening behind the scenes. We either continue the collapse, or something happens soon with Slav's plan.Thankfully there are teams in the Championship that are worse than us, in confidence, or ability. Otherwise we would be in serious trouble. I still listen to Fulham fans and Watford fans saying that Slav will come good. I pray and hope they are correct. But to revert to Warnock or Wilder return is going backwards in history. No thanks! If Slav doesn't work out I would prefer Hecky back and academy players given a chance. Build for the future. Be patient and above all, commitment and soul. Good football even if we lose, but going down fighting, not the current capitulation. This is the blades way. Fight, fight, fight. I despise the malaise of the current team. The future is in the balance at the moment.

Deluded. Read the responses. We are shit at the moment. If you can't see that, and you think one player can change this meltdown, then you are more optimistic than me. The Wilder collapse continues. I feel sorry for Slav, but he needs to get a grip, unless he is playing a JTW game. Not one of us knows what is happening behind the scenes. We either continue the collapse, or something happens soon with Slav's plan.Thankfully there are teams in the Championship that are worse than us, in confidence, or ability. Otherwise we would be in serious trouble. I still listen to Fulham fans and Watford fans saying that Slav will come good. I pray and hope they are correct. But to revert to Warnock or Wilder return is going backwards in history. No thanks! If Slav doesn't work out I would prefer Hecky back and academy players given a chance. Build for the future. Be patient and above all, commitment and soul. Good football even if we lose, but going down fighting, not the current capitulation. This is the blades way. Fight, fight, fight. I despise the malaise of the current team. The future is in the balance at the moment.
I'm not saying there isn't major change needed to this squad in the summer, we can't sort this squad out on one further window, but one major addition to the centre of the park could make a huge difference for the remainder of the season. It is desperate, we're not doing the basics and not making it hard for opposition teams, but I still remain optimistic that we can still make the play offs this season with a couple of decent additions in January.

If Slav does go I'm not so sure going down the road of a relatively unproven manager and playing unproven kids is the answer to a team with one more year of parachute payments. We need to sell one or two players to regenerate cash for other areas, probably Berge and one of McBurnie or Brewster to go and then reinvest in the midfield and wingers. Next season Jebbison will be back and I think he may well lead line next season.

I'm not saying there isn't major change needed to this squad in the summer, we can't sort this squad out on one further window, but one major addition to the centre of the park could make a huge difference for the remainder of the season. It is desperate, we're not doing the basics and not making it hard for opposition teams, but I still remain optimistic that we can still make the play offs this season with a couple of decent additions in January.

If Slav does go I'm not so sure going down the road of a relatively unproven manager and playing unproven kids is the answer to a team with one more year of parachute payments. We need to sell one or two players to regenerate cash for other areas, probably Berge and one of McBurnie or Brewster to go and then reinvest in the midfield and wingers. Next season Jebbison will be back and I think he may well lead line next season.
its certainly not all over for this season even though mid table seems to be our likely finishing position but some of our players have got to take a long look at themselves i cant believe how badly some have performed this season which makes me think their not putting everything in on the pitch for this manager but if we decide to stick with slav he has to be given at least the next 2 transfer windows to try and put things right if were still in this position at this time next year i think a change will be made its a 50/50 call for me whether he succeeds or fails utb fto

Jeez, where do we start with this!

Pommps as usual sums up well, cutting, witty, realistic, but in despair as we all are. It becomes hard to find the words to explain of how bad we all feel

Frightening where we are now. 100% agree Bash seems to be the only one left with bollocks in this shower of shit left by Wilder. Billy still has the heart, not the legs, unfortunately.

The rest, well......

The real sad thing in my opinion is that MGW and Ndieya have real potential, but even they are getting dragged down by the malaise of the Wilder remnants.

IMO, SJ has to clear out the yesteryear spent wankers from Wilder's legacy immediately. Their undisguised loss of belief in themselves is infecting the club, from fans to board. It has to be lanced. Or I fear the worst. Maybe they think if they get rid of SJ, WAK and the good times will return. Party time! Well it won't.

SJ comes well recommended and we are all puzzled by his current plans. We are told he is the second half season man. My only thoughts are, that he is playing the board for JTW. Look at this shower of shit I have to work with? I am playing the most expensive, highly paid, most experienced ex Premier League players in the club. They're crap. What can I do? Give me better.

The heart of this team has evaporated. I would prefer that he deletes the old skool. Plays his signings, youngsters, anyone not infected with the Wilder malaise. We may still not be good enough, but we wouldn't have to endure this turgid death by a thousand cuts. It's killing us all. Home matches have become a sufferance of despair. I used to love to visit the Lane. I still go, but ffs, it's tough watching these parasites draw the blood of our soul to fill their pockets. Deep I know, but it's what we all feel inside. The real shame is that they were our heroes not so long ago. That hurts. Charlatans all. Fuck'em.
Goodnight.
Bad choice of poster name me thinks.

its certainly not all over for this season even though mid table seems to be our likely finishing position but some of our players have got to take a long look at themselves i cant believe how badly some have performed this season which makes me think their not putting everything in on the pitch for this manager but if we decide to stick with slav he has to be given at least the next 2 transfer windows to try and put things right if were still in this position at this time next year i think a change will be made its a 50/50 call for me whether he succeeds or fails utb fto

It's not just 'this season'. They performed badly pretty much for all of last season too.

pommpey

Sorry for the lateness, straight out to a gig after the match. A better one tonight than the two last weekend where the first one resulted in a pissed up woman falling into and taking down our left hand speaker and lighting rig, and the second one me (yes, fifty eight years old and a granddad) feytin with a punter who'd nicked my £850-00 radio mic. No such fun tonight, but we had 'em singin', dancin' and cavortin'.

Glad I started with that because talking about United these days is pretty painful, isn't it? Today was like watching your toy poodle in a parkscrap with a Staffordshire Pit Bull Terrier. After we'd yapped and nipped at Blackburn, they simply picked us up in those jaws and shook us about.

Okay, it was a great start but with a similar synchronicity to the Bournemouth game with Sharp doing all the grown up work and setting up one of the nippers, you just knew that we'd never score again and were likely to fuck things up. Really pleased to see Brewster get his first Blades league goal after thirty odd fucking appearances but after that he was just his usual, abject, shit-value-for-a-lot-of-money self. Shoutbox practically jizzed itself onto empty bollocks territory when it went in and yeah, it was a great finish, but the next forty minutes of creeping submission told us all we needed to know. United are, and remain not even good enough for this league, let alone a team who suffered a 7-0 bum-trunking last time out. Predictably, Snr Brereton-Diaz-de-la-Santiago-y-con-carne proved a reyt fucking handful, despite Bash being practically the only player we own who could deal with him. But Blackburn, like most teams, showed no fear for us. Sure, they're one down to an early straight right, but here you go, motherfucker ... have that ... that ... and THAT. It was like watching Bruno take on Tyson again. The big daft cunt had landed a few early smacks on the insane, neckless lunatic from Catskill, but you could see, 'Arry, that the only scared one was Frank, because all it did was make Tyson think, 'cheeky cunt', and before you know it, Bruno's got his back to the ropes with Tyson landing sickening punch after sickening punch with no response, hoping the ref will step in, wave his arms and remove his gumshield before Tyson hits him so fucking hard he shits his own eyeballs out.

We were bound to lose, weren't we? Keep saying it, but we've been found badly out, shipping players as a squad who save for a rare exception, will definitely struggle even next year if we get relegated. I don't really think we ever deserved to be in the Premiership to be honest, given the past season and a half has shown us that the rump of the squad individually have no redeeming footballing assets. Olsen is no way an international keeper, Bogle has nothing to add to the game, Egan is a pale shadow of the moderately decent centre back we once admired, Stevens is finished at Championship level, Norwood and Fleck are dismally easy to play against and get the better of and are progressively getting worse as footballers, Osborn - despite kind words and hopes - is pretty ineffective all over the pitch, Brewster has proven to be possibly the biggest and worst signing ever with nothing to show which can save his name or credibility (and that goal may be the only league goal he scores this season), see also Berge who is an injury-prone flop, Burke is a joke as a professional footballer, McBurnie another dismal failure in red and white, Freeman ... who?, Mousset a fucking strap-hanging liability, Baldock is fading fast into the wallpaper of dross ... 20/1 Bar. The only redeeming factors are Ndaiye and MGW who even then, overplay things but at least try and the evergreen Chris Basham who is head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of footballing nous and vision and could be still playing in the top flight. Billy and Didsy are triers, but are shot to bits now and everything else stinks the temple of Bramall Lane out. Sure, we've been in crisis before but the last slump was at least gradual, like a non-specific urethritis. One minute you're pounding a grim old hound from Batemoor and taking shit from your mates in the pub the next day, but it's some weeks before you are pissing razorblades and your bulb looks like a Pudsey nose, and you have to have something unpleasant shoved down your angry old meatus. This collapse is more like herpes ... you can almost feel it at work as you are drunkenly hammering away at said lady's undermeats. What the fuck am I fucking going on about? Yeah, here it is. We are fucked, and this time we know it. Last time it was like, 'Hey, how come we ended up eleventh in the third division? How did that happen?' It was like, it happened so predictably and gradually it hurt, but not as much. Watching this shower of useless jizzlobbers its now clear that last season was just the start ... and it won't finish until their contracts run out and they all leave Bramall Lane in a fucking coach going the other way out of the gates with the same crowds cheering and chucking beer like May two years ago. In fact they might just get carried OUT of BDTBL and placed on the coach and showered with bottles of warm, acrid pubdrinkers' piss.

Kevin McCabe, woeful shitcunt that he was, must be laughing himself shitless at us. And in truth, I don't blame him.

Olsen 3/10: Getting worse and worse by each game. He is basically Steve Simonsen with blonde hair. No, hold that. He's Lee Baxter. There. I said it.
Bogle 3/10: Some fleeting interactions but has declined in confidence and ability since the Fulham away injury
Egan 3.5/10: Another former legend now who is simply not delivering
Basham 6.5/10: Good on and off the ball and key interceptor in moments of crisis. But was to blame for Cameron Diaz's goal
Stevens 1/10: Not even at the game today. I am deeply saddened by this bloke's collapse in credibility. He was such a good player for us at one time
Norwood 3.5/10: He's still woefully exposed and overborne by any opposition. One or two long punts today but generally his performance can be summed up as horseshit with hay in it
Fleck 1/10: Fucking dreadful
MGW 5.5/10: He grafts but it seems like he is on another FIFA level to everyone else, so it looks like he is on 'Semi-Pro' whilst the team is on 'Arse'
Osborn 3.5/10: The usual. Runs about, achieves nothing.
Brewster 3/10: Two full marks for his finish and goal
Sharp 5/10; The only player who is still committed to United, it seems. Worked hard for the goal

Mousset 1/10: About as useful as tits on a snake
Ndaiye 2/10: No effect
Baldock 3/10: No effect

We are in trouble, Bladesmen. Have been for some time and Slav isn't the cause. We won't be a credible, match winning side until the majority of these wasters have been farmed out, bought out or their shitty contracts expire. And they won't see a queue at the door to take them on or sign our legion of duds too. Want someone to blame? He's just taken over at Middlesbrough.

pommpey
Not sure whom I most disappointed with in terms of fall off. Probably Stevens and Fleck.You can overlook a bad run of form but this has been going on for 20 months. They're not the only ones but are the most disappointing given their previous contributions to the team.

Not sure whom I most disappointed with in terms of fall off. Probably Stevens and Fleck.You can overlook a bad run of form but this has been going on for 20 months. They're not the only ones but are the most disappointing given their previous contributions to the team.

Both played on the same side of the pitch as Jack.

It's not just 'this season'. They performed badly pretty much for all of last season too.

pommpey
that was the premier league though pommpey this group of players should be performing better at this level its a crap league and so inferior to the prem still not sure their playing for this manager

that was the premier league though pommpey this group of players should be performing better at this level its a crap league and so inferior to the prem still not sure their playing for this manager

Well, many on here reassured us skeptics that when we fell through the trapdoor, awaiting us was a paradise wonderland where midfield generals like Fleck and Norwood would be in total control and our strikeforce with basically fuck oppositions up.

Still waiting.

pommpey

Well, many on here reassured us skeptics that when we fell through the trapdoor, awaiting us was a paradise wonderland where midfield generals like Fleck and Norwood would be in total control and our strikeforce with basically fuck oppositions up.

Still waiting.

pommpey
yeah and i was one of em pommpey i will admit just cant believe how these players are playing but as ive said before on other threads on this forum i dont think their playing for this manager

Back
Top Bottom