My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Osborn did really well second half but first half was the worst player on the pitch for us, if i was in charge id have hooked him at half time, so what i know about football is fck all. My mom was moose followed by osborn
you have two moms? Not from Barnsley by any chance?

People think that giving Mousset is baiting. Consider this:

He did 60 minutes. This is pretty standard for him, a man at 25, yet to hit the peak of his footballing capability (usually 27-28) and just been laid up for a considerable amount of time. He also seemed to be limping. In that sixty minutes, he beat his marker for pace once in the first half, spent long periods of that 45 minutes as a peripheral player, trotted back laboriously when they cleared their lines and hit a tame volley straight at their keeper. So out of ten with five as the starter and the median, what would you give him? Anyone giving above a three is deluded. I actually expected him to be hooked at half time, ineffective as he was.

Second half he wasn't really part of it, until he broke across the box and hit that sizzler straight into the corner. Excellent goal. But not exactly 10/10 or anywhere near it, in fact, it is what is expected of a £10m striker, thank you very much. Three minutes later, he's shrugging off their defender to clip Osborn's cross into their net. Superb. Not quite clanging the bell at the top yet though and aside from a blistering run forward five minutes later to support a failed attack, that was it until he was replaced by Sharp.

Now tell me what else he did to warrant above half marks for two thirds of the match.

pommpey

Now tell me what else he did to warrant above half marks for two thirds of the match.

Scored tep goals and won us the gane.

You are old enough to have watched Keith Edwards, who did SFA fpr 90 minutes, gosl hanging and just two touches in the whole game. Both touches resulted in goals and everybody loved him.

Deadbat gave Leon (/10 for his FOUR goals against Ull and I thought that was tight, but FFS if 2 goals only gets 5/10, then you aren't getting much joy from your football.

Scored tep goals and won us the gane.

You are old enough to have watched Keith Edwards, who did SFA fpr 90 minutes, gosl hanging and just two touches in the whole game. Both touches resulted in goals and everybody loved him.

Deadbat gave Leon (/10 for his FOUR goals against Ull and I thought that was tight, but FFS if 2 goals only gets 5/10, then you aren't getting much joy from your football.

You've not read it, have you? And for you, 'the whole game' isn't a factor. Or even two thirds of it.

Edwards was a constant threat, and managed to complete a sizeable amount if the 261 games he played for us with 143 goals to show for it.

To compare Mousset with Edwards kinda sums up your argument and where you are with it.

pommpey

Great to know we can win with average marks of between 2 to 4
Sign of a very strong team

Scored 3 away again not bad for such a poor outfit

Average mark there is 4.67.

Had the defence fended off the two goals and considering Fleck wasn't playing, the average might just be 7 or 7.5, and considering the first half which was decidedly chunky bobbar.

pommpey

We played bit different today, did we?
We didn't have such hurry with or without the ball. Wondering was it about that we didn't have Sharp nor MGW on the pitch?
By that I mean that many times MGW has been driving force for us and he seems to get the ball more than many other players and now we had to look for other options in attack. Sharp as well has mentality to ask for balls in the attack.

I'm not Norwood's No 1 fan, or even his No 1,000 fan but I thought he did well today.

Still made his fair share of poor balls and played others into bother but he got stuck in and didn't hide, unlike some.

It's a 6 or 7 for him today from me
I was thinking this already during the game. Few times I've been flaming Norwoods actions here and today I must say he did nice.
At times he looked pretty solid and I dunno was it about the play style/tactics, opponent or something else, but he did fine.

The only thing I can really take issue with is the Barnsley "could have had more" comment because they hit the post and missed a sitter when they still had nil.

After they decided to go for all out attack and pulled two goals back they still had - as it turned out - 15 minutes to get another, but the only time they actually threatened our goal at all was that corner in the last minute of injury time (or whatever name they have for injury time these days).

That was weird. Maybe we did practice "game management" a little better than has been thought. Or maybe Barnsley are just shite, really. Hard to say.

The only thing I can really take issue with is the Barnsley "could have had more" comment because they hit the post and missed a sitter when they still had nil.

After they decided to go for all out attack and pulled two goals back they still had - as it turned out - 15 minutes to get another, but the only time they actually threatened our goal at all was that corner in the last minute of injury time (or whatever name they have for injury time these days).

That was weird. Maybe we did practice "game management" a little better than has been thought. Or maybe Barnsley are just shite, really. Hard to say.
If you watched that game and didn't think Barnsley were a pile of shite that any capable team should have beaten 6-0 , you are deluding yourself ... They were absolutely awful yet in the first half we almost managed to get down to their level , which is quite frightening - if we hadn't taken 3 points today I reckon we would be looking at relegation , because there couldn't have been an easier 3 points on offer anywhere , yet we almost managed to fuck it up.
If we shit ourselves v Barnsley , just wait till we get to Craven Cottage & Mitrovic ...
I'll be watching through me hands and perhaps so will half the feckin defence - he will rag Egan & Davis around like 2 dolls

Refreshing parts of a shit-your-pants win today with us effectively home and hosed, yet getting very Villa away at the end. First half was a dismal punch up between two substandard lower end Championship sides with Barnsley looking shockingly poor and us marginally poorer. 66% possession or summat and much of that kicked about across the back four with precious little penetration. Barnsley - like most sides - have the brief to press and that simply works fine. We couldn't get past, pass and move into space and when we did, using Ndaiye as a conduit, he quickly overplayed it and ran into blind alleys. It was a makeshft formation with an early switch for McBurnie and Mousset, McBurnie seems to like the attacking midfielder role only too well, if not being very good at it. But we created fuck all apart from one weak shot straight at their keeper and many of us feared we'd end the game goalless ... even if Barnsley scored. Right the way through this turgid 45 minutes though, The Bladesfans were of great voice.

Then we are out for the second half and ... what the fuck happened? Mousset creates space and a gap and fires home a cracking, curling shot (reminiscent of what has been banged past us recently) and follows it up with a great burst to latch onto Osborn's endeavour, and Osborn himself receives a great low cross from Baldock and it's three nowt! Barnsley, flat out, gumshield spat, arms spread and the ref counting ... five ... six ... seven ...

Then Mousset is done. That's it now until he comes on as sub at home against Blackburn next February. Sharp came on and tried to connect with a few hopeful punts and our other minuteman Ndaiye (what the fuck is wrong with him going the full ninety, I ask?) came off for Didsy. Then we folded. Suddenly Barnsley, no more endowed with a change of tactics or direction, were on us and our backline all over the shop. So fucking porous and indecisive. What happened to our solidity and invincibility? Two goals and it could have been more with our post struck and Devante Cole spooning a sitter.

It was a typical reflection on what we are and where we are, was this game. On our ascendency, I don't think there was one person who thought, 'fuck me, but don't say owt, but we are up in the top half of the Premier League' without thinking also 'wonder when we'll get found out and we'll end up back in the Championship exchanging blows with a shit Barnsley side?' Well, here we are. We could have easily lost today's game as much as floored the Tykes and took out our cocks and pissed on their supine bodies. For fifteen minutes we looked fucking unplayable. For one hour and fifteen we looked like Sheffield fucking Wednesday. Three points is three points and all that and we are but three more being lofty Luton Town in fifth, but we feel and we know we should be better than this.

Olsen 5/10: Not impressive at all. If this is the best Sweden have then fucking 'Uvavu'. His distribution is poor and he still needs airbags and proximity alarms
Baldock 6/10: Drops a point because of his defending for their goals but attacking he was good today and his low ball to Osborn was decent
Egan 4/10: Regressing. Clearly doesn't like the four-at-the-back experience because or the gaps which opposition players exploit
Davies 5/10: Similarly vulnerable and off-colour in this lineup. To be honest, Stearman was a better centreback than this bloke.
Stevens 5/10: A pretty standard, unremarkable outing.
Norwood 4/10: Early doors he was okay, if limited in what to do. In the second half he'd regressed to his ineffective, pointy old self. It's his job and
Fleck 2/10: ... job to defend the defence and create the outlets. Jimmy was back today and he was simply a traffic cone, anonymous, ineffective and someone who really reduced our tea to ten men. Seriously think he is done now and we need to replace both of these with viable alternatives who can play in Slav's system because both CDMs are vital and need to be performing correctly for us to get a foothold in the game
Osborn 7.5/10: A real revelation today. Plenty of endeavour, okay some errors but lets overlook that and look at the runs he had, the goals he made and the one he scored
McBurnie 4/10: Swapped early doors with Mousset to play in the CAM role but was lumbering, not really in the game and no threat whatsoever to their defence. He tries, does McBurnie. But the way we play just doesn't accommodate for him
Ndaiye 5/10: Only an hour again from him (with no real reason, surely our conditioning coaches train these players to do at least two hours of output per session?) He's lovely on the ball but fuck me he needs to stop thinking he can beat everyone he faces. Many times he tried to inch past opposition players which don't get me wrong is credible, but he's not got the guile or capability to carry this off.
Mousset 5/10: That looks like a shit mark doesn't it? Let me explain. For massive parts of the fist half he was ineffective. However he created his fist goal practically on his own and made some pacey sprints up the pitch after that (one to grab his second) but on sixty he was 'done' and limped off. That's it. Great to se him get two, and the crowd sing his name but over the ninety ... sorry sixty ... it was just 'two goals'.

Sharp 4/10: Reduced to chasing long punts up the pitch
McGoldick 3/10: An off game for him
Basham 5/10: Reinforced a creaking defence as Barnsley smelled blood and we went to 5-4-1

Slav 6/10: Great three points, but fuck me mate, you don't half make the task difficult

pommpey

Did you by any chance do player ratings at half time?

:)

Average mark there is 4.67.

Had the defence fended off the two goals and considering Fleck wasn't playing, the average might just be 7 or 7.5, and considering the first half which was decidedly chunky bobbar.

pommpey
On a day man Utd ship 5 and don't registèr we concede 2 consolation goals ....meh
Get over it
They had more shots over 90 minutes but we were more clinical......classier team

On a day man Utd ship 5 and don't registèr we concede 2 consolation goals ....meh
Get over it
They had more shots over 90 minutes but we were more clinical......classier team

This isn't My Take for Man United

And if you call that performance 'classy', then I can't help you

pommpey

This isn't My Take for Man United

And if you call that performance 'classy', then I can't help you

pommpey
How many successful sides win games when they've been unable to look impressive. We won this game with a very impressive 15 minute spell.we scored 3. A few months ago we'd be amazed if we'd scored 1

Perspectively we are improving

Another thought oon my take of it

Yes we conceded 2 but Slavs Fulham side that he turned round conceded 4 at our place......But they scraped a one goal win .
Our direction of travel is forward not back
As was fulhams

Another thought oon my take of it

Yes we conceded 2 but Slavs Fulham side that he turned round conceded 4 at our place......But they scraped a one goal win .
Our direction of travel is forward not back
As was fulhams

We have won two of the last five games, the other three were losses.

Direction of movement 'forward'?

I'm not quite as convinced as you are.

pommpey

We have won two of the last five games, the other three were losses.

Direction of movement 'forward'?

I'm not quite as convinced as you are.

pommpey
The losses to Millwall and Bournemouth were both harsh on us . Overall we don't play like we are beaten before we start now. Yes we are going forward. And only Boro have stopped us scoring recently

First half we all steam & no traction against the poorest side we have played this season . Halftime team talk made us come out with the bit between our teeth and the talented but frustrating enigma that Moose is produced a peach of goal & puts away the 2nd and all’s looking good then yet again he’s subbed as injured 😡😡. We put the 3rd away with 13 mins left & were all thinking light up the cigar , but that’s just not us ! 2 quick goals out of the blue from a team that would finish bottom half in League 1 and there back in it ?? And a very uncomfortable last 10 mins & we’re thinking Villa all over again . Positives I hate these deluded twats so any win against them I relish , good 30 mins from after halftime & looked better up top second half until Moose went off . But fuck me always look like conceding goals , gotta sort that out if we want to move forward .
At 3-0 that should be bread & butter seeing it through .. unbelievably we’re 3 points off 5th place in this inconsistent season & says it all about the quality of this division this season ⚔️

Last edited:
If you watched that game and didn't think Barnsley were a pile of shite that any capable team should have beaten 6-0 , you are deluding yourself ... They were absolutely awful yet in the first half we almost managed to get down to their level , which is quite frightening - if we hadn't taken 3 points today I reckon we would be looking at relegation , because there couldn't have been an easier 3 points on offer anywhere , yet we almost managed to fuck it up.
If we shit ourselves v Barnsley , just wait till we get to Craven Cottage & Mitrovic ...
I'll be watching through me hands and perhaps so will half the feckin defence - he will rag Egan & Davis around like 2 dolls

I don't think I'm deluded.

I do think I'm not laying on the irony heavily enough in my posts, by the look of it.

i think were 2 good championship players short of play off contenders if we can bring those 2 players in next january weve as good a chance as anybody of making it imo

People think that giving Mousset is baiting. Consider this:

He did 60 minutes. This is pretty standard for him, a man at 25, yet to hit the peak of his footballing capability (usually 27-28) and just been laid up for a considerable amount of time. He also seemed to be limping. In that sixty minutes, he beat his marker for pace once in the first half, spent long periods of that 45 minutes as a peripheral player, trotted back laboriously when they cleared their lines and hit a tame volley straight at their keeper. So out of ten with five as the starter and the median, what would you give him? Anyone giving above a three is deluded. I actually expected him to be hooked at half time, ineffective as he was.

Second half he wasn't really part of it, until he broke across the box and hit that sizzler straight into the corner. Excellent goal. But not exactly 10/10 or anywhere near it, in fact, it is what is expected of a £10m striker, thank you very much. Three minutes later, he's shrugging off their defender to clip Osborn's cross into their net. Superb. Not quite clanging the bell at the top yet though and aside from a blistering run forward five minutes later to support a failed attack, that was it until he was replaced by Sharp.

pommpey
Not a lot, but to score those two goals when we were dire up to then changed the whole game and gave us a win.
Surely that in itself should warrant 6/7 ?
If he did nothing else then he did his job. In your marking system Messrs Linacre and Greaves would rarely have made it to 7 !!

The best time to concede a goal or two is when you have 3

Becomes immaterial then

And as to not beating Barnsley by 5 is the minimum we should expect, list all the 5 plus goals defeats they've had

For what it's worth, my take is it's sticky tape and glue to cover the cracks till the JTW. Let's all hope Slavs got an endless supply of both till then. UTB

Regardless of your relationship with the OP, your comments about dyslexia are unacceptable
Yeah, you're right Snowy. It was a follow on to a previous post with an attempt at humour but can see how it has come across.
Apologies to anyone dyslexic. Absolutely no offence intended. A couple of people I know well are dyslexic and are waaaay smarter than me!

The worrying thing is pommpey that, despite our obvious frailties, this division is pretty average on the whole and I still think we'll make the play-offs this season.

BUT, of that 17 man squad yesterday, take out the loanees and I'd argue that only Egan and Ndiaye should be in a hypothetical Prem squad next season, maybe 3 or 4 more, even in the Championship. OK, Slav's only had half a transfer window and I think he will recruit well given the funds and proper planning but watching the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, Citeh, I really hope this season is more about transition and steadying the ship and I wouldn't be too bothered if this it played out without any dramas.

Back
Top Bottom