My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Refreshing parts of a shit-your-pants win today with us effectively home and hosed, yet getting very Villa away at the end. First half was a dismal punch up between two substandard lower end Championship sides with Barnsley looking shockingly poor and us marginally poorer. 66% possession or summat and much of that kicked about across the back four with precious little penetration. Barnsley - like most sides - have the brief to press and that simply works fine. We couldn't get past, pass and move into space and when we did, using Ndaiye as a conduit, he quickly overplayed it and ran into blind alleys. It was a makeshft formation with an early switch for McBurnie and Mousset, McBurnie seems to like the attacking midfielder role only too well, if not being very good at it. But we created fuck all apart from one weak shot straight at their keeper and many of us feared we'd end the game goalless ... even if Barnsley scored. Right the way through this turgid 45 minutes though, The Bladesfans were of great voice.

Then we are out for the second half and ... what the fuck happened? Mousset creates space and a gap and fires home a cracking, curling shot (reminiscent of what has been banged past us recently) and follows it up with a great burst to latch onto Osborn's endeavour, and Osborn himself receives a great low cross from Baldock and it's three nowt! Barnsley, flat out, gumshield spat, arms spread and the ref counting ... five ... six ... seven ...

Then Mousset is done. That's it now until he comes on as sub at home against Blackburn next February. Sharp came on and tried to connect with a few hopeful punts and our other minuteman Ndaiye (what the fuck is wrong with him going the full ninety, I ask?) came off for Didsy. Then we folded. Suddenly Barnsley, no more endowed with a change of tactics or direction, were on us and our backline all over the shop. So fucking porous and indecisive. What happened to our solidity and invincibility? Two goals and it could have been more with our post struck and Devante Cole spooning a sitter.

It was a typical reflection on what we are and where we are, was this game. On our ascendency, I don't think there was one person who thought, 'fuck me, but don't say owt, but we are up in the top half of the Premier League' without thinking also 'wonder when we'll get found out and we'll end up back in the Championship exchanging blows with a shit Barnsley side?' Well, here we are. We could have easily lost today's game as much as floored the Tykes and took out our cocks and pissed on their supine bodies. For fifteen minutes we looked fucking unplayable. For one hour and fifteen we looked like Sheffield fucking Wednesday. Three points is three points and all that and we are but three more being lofty Luton Town in fifth, but we feel and we know we should be better than this.

Olsen 5/10: Not impressive at all. If this is the best Sweden have then fucking 'Uvavu'. His distribution is poor and he still needs airbags and proximity alarms
Baldock 6/10: Drops a point because of his defending for their goals but attacking he was good today and his low ball to Osborn was decent
Egan 4/10: Regressing. Clearly doesn't like the four-at-the-back experience because or the gaps which opposition players exploit
Davies 5/10: Similarly vulnerable and off-colour in this lineup. To be honest, Stearman was a better centreback than this bloke.
Stevens 5/10: A pretty standard, unremarkable outing.
Norwood 4/10: Early doors he was okay, if limited in what to do. In the second half he'd regressed to his ineffective, pointy old self. It's his job and
Fleck 2/10: ... job to defend the defence and create the outlets. Jimmy was back today and he was simply a traffic cone, anonymous, ineffective and someone who really reduced our tea to ten men. Seriously think he is done now and we need to replace both of these with viable alternatives who can play in Slav's system because both CDMs are vital and need to be performing correctly for us to get a foothold in the game
Osborn 7.5/10: A real revelation today. Plenty of endeavour, okay some errors but lets overlook that and look at the runs he had, the goals he made and the one he scored
McBurnie 4/10: Swapped early doors with Mousset to play in the CAM role but was lumbering, not really in the game and no threat whatsoever to their defence. He tries, does McBurnie. But the way we play just doesn't accommodate for him
Ndaiye 5/10: Only an hour again from him (with no real reason, surely our conditioning coaches train these players to do at least two hours of output per session?) He's lovely on the ball but fuck me he needs to stop thinking he can beat everyone he faces. Many times he tried to inch past opposition players which don't get me wrong is credible, but he's not got the guile or capability to carry this off.
Mousset 5/10: That looks like a shit mark doesn't it? Let me explain. For massive parts of the fist half he was ineffective. However he created his fist goal practically on his own and made some pacey sprints up the pitch after that (one to grab his second) but on sixty he was 'done' and limped off. That's it. Great to se him get two, and the crowd sing his name but over the ninety ... sorry sixty ... it was just 'two goals'.

Sharp 4/10: Reduced to chasing long punts up the pitch
McGoldick 3/10: An off game for him
Basham 5/10: Reinforced a creaking defence as Barnsley smelled blood and we went to 5-4-1

Slav 6/10: Great three points, but fuck me mate, you don't half make the task difficult

pommpey

• Banned
Refreshing parts of a shit-your-pants win today with us effectively home and hosed, yet getting very Villa away at the end. First half was a dismal punch up between two substandard lower end Championship sides with Barnsley looking shockingly poor and us marginally poorer. 66% possession or summat and much of that kicked about across the back four with precious little penetration. Barnsley - like most sides - have the brief to press and that simply works fine. We couldn't get past, pass and move into space and when we did, using Ndaiye as a conduit, he quickly overplayed it and ran into blind alleys. It was a makeshft formation with an early switch for McBurnie and Mousset, McBurnie seems to like the attacking midfielder role only too well, if not being very good at it. But we created fuck all apart from one weak shot straight at their keeper and many of us feared we'd end the game goalless ... even if Barnsley scored. Right the way through this turgid 45 minutes though, The Bladesfans were of great voice.

Then we are out for the second half and ... what the fuck happened? Mousset creates space and a gap and fires home a cracking, curling shot (reminiscent of what has been banged past us recently) and follows it up with a great burst to latch onto Osborn's endeavour, and Osborn himself receives a great low cross from Baldock and it's three nowt! Barnsley, flat out, gumshield spat, arms spread and the ref counting ... five ... six ... seven ...

Then Mousset is done. That's it now until he comes on as sub at home against Blackburn next February. Sharp came on and tried to connect with a few hopeful punts and our other minuteman Ndaiye (what the fuck is wrong with him going the full ninety, I ask?) came off for Didsy. Then we folded. Suddenly Barnsley, no more endowed with a change of tactics or direction, were on us and our backline all over the shop. So fucking porous and indecisive. What happened to our solidity and invincibility? Two goals and it could have been more with our post struck and Devante Cole spooning a sitter.

It was a typical reflection on what we are and where we are, was this game. On our ascendency, I don't think there was one person who thought, 'fuck me, but don't say owt, but we are up in the top half of the Premier League' without thinking also 'wonder when we'll get found out and we'll end up back in the Championship exchanging blows with a shit Barnsley side?' Well, here we are. We could have easily lost today's game as much as floored the Tykes and took out our cocks and pissed on their supine bodies. For fifteen minutes we looked fucking unplayable. For one hour and fifteen we looked like Sheffield fucking Wednesday. Three points is three points and all that and we are but three more being lofty Luton Town in fifth, but we feel and we know we should be better than this.

Olsen 5/10: Not impressive at all. If this is the best Sweden have then fucking 'Uvavu'. His distribution is poor and he still needs airbags and proximity alarms
Baldock 6/10: Drops a point because of his defending for their goals but attacking he was good today and his low ball to Osborn was decent
Egan 4/10: Regressing. Clearly doesn't like the four-at-the-back experience because or the gaps which opposition players exploit
Davies 5/10: Similarly vulnerable and off-colour in this lineup. To be honest, Stearman was a better centreback than this bloke.
Norwood 4/10: Early doors he was okay, if limited in what to do. In the second half he'd regressed to his ineffective, pointy old self. It's his job and
Fleck 2/10: ... job to defend the defence and create the outlets. Jimmy was back today and he was simply a traffic cone, anonymous, ineffective and someone who really reduced our tea to ten men. Seriously think he is done now and we need to replace both of these with viable alternatives who can play in Slav's system because both CDMs are vital and need to be performing correctly for us to get a foothold in the game
Osborn 7.5/10: A real revelation today. Plenty of endeavour, okay some errors but lets overlook that and look at the runs he had, the goals he made and the one he scored
McBurnie 4/10: Swapped early doors with Mousset to play in the CAM role but was lumbering, not really in the game and no threat whatsoever to their defence. He tries, does McBurnie. But the way we play just doesn't accommodate for him
Ndaiye 5/10: Only an hour again from him (with no real reason, surely our conditioning coaches train these players to do at least two hours of output per session?) He's lovely on the ball but fuck me he needs to stop thinking he can beat everyone he faces. Many times he tried to inch past opposition players which don't get me wrong is credible, but he's not got the guile or capability to carry this off.
Mousset 5/10: That looks like a shit mark doesn't it? Let me explain. For massive parts of the fist half he was ineffective. However he created his fist goal practically on his own and made some pacey sprints up the pitch after that (one to grab his second) but on sixty he was 'done' and limped off. That's it. Great to se him get two, and the crowd sing his name but over the ninety ... sorry sixty ... it was just 'two goals'.

Basham 5/10: Reinforced a creaking defence as Barnsley smelled blood and we went to 5-4-1

Slav 6/10: Great three points, but fuck me mate, you don't half make the task difficult

pommpey

Fist

pommpey

I wouldn't disagree with most of that pommpey other than giving higher marks to Ndiaye, Mousse and (I am genuinely not trying to start the regular argument here) Norwood, who I thought got stuck in more than usual and kept us ticking over nicely. Like everyone else though, he simply fell asleep for 20 minutes and it very nearly cost us.

To some extent we got away with that today, but I still think on balance we were the better team and deserved the win.

Stuck in the mountains in deepest France so didn’t know anything until now, à win, but not sure whether to be pleased or not ? The Dingles‘ll be celebrating two goals the way the Pigs celebrate a 0-0 win

Thanks Pommps. Didn't see it but listened on RS. Carl Asaba was the pundit and perhaps should be the manager (perhaps not, but he made some great points), and went utterly bonkers at Slav's substitutions at 3-0 up! Villa was very much on my mind, and once it got to 3-2 I was convinced we'd collapse and lose, not draw. Yes, Barnsley are crap, but let's be honest, Millwall are no great shakes either, and they smelled our fear. Once Barnsley scored, we appeared to revert to headless chicken tactics, and again fear seemed to be the factor. I'm pleased we won, but so pissed off that we don't have the nous to see out the last 10 minutes at 3-0 up, not against an upwardly mobile Villa, but against the Dingles in freefall!!

Ndaiye 5/10: Only an hour again from him (with no real reason, surely our conditioning coaches train these players to do at least two hours of output per session?) He's lovely on the ball but fuck me he needs to stop thinking he can beat everyone he faces. Many times he tried to inch past opposition players which don't get me wrong is credible, but he's not got the guile or capability to carry this off

And that's why I thought he was poor today.

It's a team game and I think 5 is generous

Thanks Pommps. Didn't see it but listened on RS. Carl Asaba was the pundit and perhaps should be the manager (perhaps not, but he made some great points), and went utterly bonkers at Slav's substitutions at 3-0 up! Villa was very much on my mind, and once it got to 3-2 I was convinced we'd collapse and lose, not draw. Yes, Barnsley are crap, but let's be honest, Millwall are no great shakes either, and they smelled our fear. Once Barnsley scored, we appeared to revert to headless chicken tactics, and again fear seemed to be the factor. I'm pleased we won, but so pissed off that we don't have the nous to see out the last 10 minutes at 3-0 up, not against an upwardly mobile Villa, but against the Dingles in freefall!!
I thought the substations were excellent.

Basham in particular secured the win for us today with a couple of great reads as the rest of the team was falling apart

I thought the substations were excellent.

Basham in particular secured the win for us today with a couple of great reads as the rest of the team was falling apart
As for the substitutions apart from bash don't particularly agree ,still think he either needs addy on the bench to shore up the last 30 minutes of give bash a go as a DM from the start ( at least with bash on the park he has options to drop him into the back 4 if needed )
I don't get this constant slagging of slav he has inherited a poor squad with that's down on its arse mentally

I'm not Norwood's No 1 fan, or even his No 1,000 fan but I thought he did well today.

Still made his fair share of poor balls and played others into bother but he got stuck in and didn't hide, unlike some.

It's a 6 or 7 for him today from me
Sorry, but I don’t see anything good. Almost every time he has space he knocks it out to the wing and rarely, if ever, plays a through ball to set up an attack.
If it’s his job to protect the back four then he is failing, particularly in the second half.

pommpey
Generally agree with all that especially Ndaiye, who could be devastating if he would just beat one or two men and not the whole defence !
I don’t think the defence is entirely to blame for the goals. If they had better protection from mid field they wouldn’t be faced with an overload of attackers inside the box.

Crap post, crap poster. Loads of spelling mistakes. Probably one of those useless dyslexic type people that wrote it.

;)

Last edited:
Generally agree with all that especially Ndaiye, who could be devastating if he would just beat one or two men and not the whole defence !
I don’t think the defence is entirely to blame for the goals. If they had better protection from mid field they wouldn’t be faced with an overload of attackers inside the box.
Ndiaye needs to learn when to play a simple pass and when to run.

He will be a world beater if he sorts that out

pommpey
I agree with pretty much all but how are you giving mousset only a 5. Basham got the same and he played 5 minutes. Mousset hasn’t started a game in I don’t know how long so he was never going to last the 90.

Three points and our best player is back the next game. (The Loan Ranger.) Hopefully he will have learnt his lesson and he can replace one of the Chuckle Brothers in midfield.

I bet John Wick can't wait til January...

pommpey
6/10 for the manager seems generous to me. He's had 14 games to work out that the players he's got are not suited to the formation he wants to play. He needs to change things until he can sign the players he needs in a couple of months but he won't, so we will win a few and lose a few and be in touching distance of the play offs, which really means we are shit

Today's victory over Barnsley seems a classic case of deserved lead followed by a desperate example of unprofdessional doziness.

We've all had opinions on the current Blade's squad, but the fact that we paid £23 million for Brewster compared to the £20 million that Newcastle paid for Callum Wilson is one of life's mysteries. Of course there would be wages to consider, but when you look at the ability of Wilson to convert chances against Brewster whose reputation before moving to the Blades was that of a classic Fox-in-the-box, well one was deserved and the other must surely have been a deliberate 'fib' to get the player of his club's books, and boy did that fib convince us to part with our biggest transfer figure so far.

Think about it, Brewster vs Wilson, one with experience of what it takes to improve and show the consistency needed to make yourself a deservedly valuable player that many teams would be interested in, and then there's Brewster, with a minimum level of experience, struggling to impress, but somehow viewed as a player who could carry our forward line to improved levels of success.......so far it's a no-brainer as to who got the better deal, and should we decide to sell Brewster we'd be fortunate to get 5% of the fee we paid for the player. No doubt we'd find a way to absorb that level of loss, but what a calamitous spend to have to take on board. Going forward, well without being too much of a doom and gloom merchant, of all the constituent parts that make any club viable, I think the manager is the one I'd select to enable us to put the parts of the jigsaw together in a coherent and forward thinking manner. At the moment Sav just about gets my vote. The pre-season was little short of a shambles, no more than a few pre-season games to assess and determine the player's positions and the formation that was considered best for the squad we have.

As for the immediate future, well I hope that the Prince and manager are singing from the same sheet. This is critical to where we intend to be. The acquisition of the minimum players needed - a couple of 'hungry' midfield players, an experienced, proven forward, and a no-nonsense central defender, ideally blessed with pace. This will cost, but there again, if spending isn't even a consideration we, the supporters, can expect to be regarded as an after-thought where the club's future is concerned.

wilder wanted wilson but we couldnt afford his 50k salary and thats the real issue at the lane paying proper salaries same with josh king who also wanted 50k a week

I wouldn't disagree with most of that pommpey other than giving higher marks to Ndiaye, Mousse and (I am genuinely not trying to start the regular argument here) Norwood, who I thought got stuck in more than usual and kept us ticking over nicely. Like everyone else though, he simply fell asleep for 20 minutes and it very nearly cost us.

To some extent we got away with that today, but I still think on balance we were the better team and deserved the win.
I agree with Norwood ‘getting stuck in more’. My problem with this is that the more he ‘gets stuck in’ the more fouls he concedes because he’s invariably ‘getting stuck in’ from the wrong side of his opposite number. It’s getting embarrassing now. He even tried one of those edge of the box sliding block things when they hit the post and was completely ineffective with that.

Some good sideways and backwards passes and a couple of diagonal pings though so all’s well in Norwood land.

Game management was poor at the end, hoofing it back to them when we should have been keeping possession and running the clock down.

In the words of the prophet..." we won ugly.." but a hell of a journey. Good goals from Moose and Ossie, liked the way McBurnie created loads of space on that right wing late on. Bollocks to individual marking- 5 out of 10 all way round plus 1 more each for Moose and Ossie. Job done.r

Game management was poor at the end, hoofing it back to them when we should have been keeping possession and running the clock down.
Taking the ball in the corner and then passing it back to them to set them on the attack isn’t any good either.

Osborn did really well second half but first half was the worst player on the pitch for us, if i was in charge id have hooked him at half time, so what i know about football is fck all. My mom was moose followed by osborn

Back
Top Bottom