My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Working late so only caught brief glimpses of our back to the future game
So I can’t really accurately comment on it , but it wasn’t very good , the bits I saw ,
but hey I’ve seen worse performances
It’s unfortunate that some of these players gave us our best years , have come to the end of there shelf life , and with it ending so badly for them now , I hope it doesn’t tarnish to much the reputation they built up
Oh Pomp’s mi owd , no Fodders isn’t the answer he’s fucking worse

Whether the officials were good or bad we did enough to have won that game, despite being awful.
Probably worse than the officials.
A good team wins matches despite dodgy refereeing.
If Fleck is so easy to play against, how was he able to win us a penalty? Yet Osborn was awful (again) and nobody sees it?

Look we get what we deserve. Fans continue to praise busy energetic players who are given very little tactical responsibility in the team purely because of "effort", "work rate" "pashun" despite them offering ZERO to our play. And the technical players who are given a greater burden in the side, or the young wonderkids coming through the system, are always taken to task and suffer from far greater expectations. We've had this mentality for as long as I've followed the Blades and we don't deserve any better than what gets served up.
This. 100% this. The vast majority of the shitshow we find ourselves in right now is all on one man. The man who spent more money than we've ever spent, and spent the majority of it on players who just aren't good enough, or aren't right for us (Berge). He gave us the best 4-5 years I'll probably ever see as a Blade, and I thank him for that. But then he royally fucked up, refused to adapt, and eventually left us deep in the mire, and with several enormously expensive millstones around our collective necks.

It's a shame that such a spectacular period in our history went south so quickly really. It's going to take the club a long time to recover.
And that’s why no Premiership club would give him a job
when the pressure was on he bottled it

Another dismal result, eh? Filled with all the stuff we've been talking about, lack of movement, pedestrian attack development, being closed down easily and dispossessed and a critical lack of clinical finishing. Millwall were actually more of a challenge than higher flying Stoke the other day. Again, teams know how we play and the fact that we have no ability to switch emphasis means that pressing and closing us down is a cinch and no matter how much we push it up the pitch into predictable areas, we are easily marshalled away or dispossesed. Even if we do threaten, it ends in disappointing, weak efforts on goal.

No Norwood to start with tonight, so pleasingly no Wilderball and our back four is starting to look a little more together, if not still vulnerable at times. We've stopped tonning it up into the dead zone, and more giving it to the gifted players like McGoldrick, Ndayie and MGW although tonight none of them sparkled. Millwall seemed to have us in their pocket in the first half and vast empty holes appeared in the middle of the park with our own players not showing short or moving into those areas for the player on the ball meant we simply got nowhere, fast. I did at first think that their first was an attempt on goal but having watched it again, it was a spawny floated back-sticker which had enough pace and direction to outfox Olsen. My mate, sat in the BLUT simply texted 'Reyt goal', and it was. We don't score ones like that do we? #1

Then we looked shaken and beaten, very much a hangover of the Weir-to-Adkins era. Fleck bought us an equaliser and after that we looked again on the up if not able to do anything with the roar of Unitedites encouraging them on. We'd changed format too but that didn't bring much fortune even in the second half we continued to huff and puff. So bloody frustrating. MGW basically gives the shit referee a chance to send him off and although we rallied with ten men, Millwall simply swatted us away and it looked likely than rather than us grinding out an unlikely victory, we'd give up a late goal for a predictable defeat. Their late goal was a 'reyt sickner', want it? Smacked accurately into the corner from 25 yards. We don't score ones like that, do we? #2

Olsen 4/10: He covered some efforts on goal but from distance and with the first goal, he is suspect. Is Fodders the answer?
Stevens 4/10: Substandard outing for him.
Egan 5/10: Again, the more time he stays unanchored to what looks now to be a permanently absent O'Connell, the less effective he becomes. There were 'okay' moments tonight, but he's no way as good as he was three seasons ago
Davies 6.5/10: A lot better tonight. Good interceptions and clearances and a bit more bite in his defending
Bogle 6.5/10: Thought he had a decent game up until his injury which I hope doesn't keep him out for long. He does combine well with the attack and has decent vision
Fleck 3/10: No apologies. Dispossessed and coughing up possession is Jimmy Fleck stuff and he isn't anything like the 8+/10 entity we saw develop and shine two seasons ago. He is predictable and easy to play against, simple as.
Hourihane 3/10: One of the 'holes' in midfield and somewhat of a mystery as to what he has above Norwood
MGW 4/10: Mainly fo his endeavour but he has the temperament in him to attract unsympathy from officials. Looking back at it now, deservedly redded
McGoldrick 4/10: Usually one of my favourites and showing class finishing on Saturday, but tonight substandard and error prone with sitters and misplaced passes alike
Osborn 5/10: Another blood+guts+nowt performance. Great effort but for fucks sake go round your man, get the early cross in or press on to the penalty area
Sharp 4/10: Great penalty but got nothing, despite busting a gut. It's been the story of his time at United.

Ndaiye 6/10: He at least tries and runs at oppositions but he tries too hard at times and they nick the ball off him or marshal him into areas where he is isolated and ineffective
Norwood 6/10: A better game from him, even though it is still not good enough for this level and for our ambitions
Basham 5.5/10: Shows endeavour and enterprise and was up that wing many times into the danger area if to hit the wall when there's no one reading him and moving into space

Slav 6/10: Still trying to get the best out of a team largely filled with losers and deadbeats. Some of them expensive ones too.

Ref: Fucking wanker. Yep. I think that sums him up. I sincerely hope his next shit is a hedgehog tied to a sea anenome, holding an open umbrella

pommpey

... yeah but, did you go though?

Screenshot_20211020-203529_Chrome.jpg

if we had any strikers that were any good billy and mcgoldrick would be on the bench every week and would be very handy in the last 25 minutes to bring on im afraid chris has spunked 43m of our money on 2 no hopers

Agree with that.

This may be a drastic idea but for the benefit of the longer term maybe we should be fielding McBurnie in Sharp's place for instance and persevere till he (hopefully comes good/grows into the role) and like you say have the veterans as an option from the bench to try and grab a goal if needed? We'll never spend £20 million on a player again unless we ever get back to the Prem so we may as well try with the one we did spend that kind of money on.

I know McBurnie hasn't done anything so far this and last season but there has got to be a player in there somewhere, he scored 22 in a season in this league before signing for us.

Agree with that.

This may be a drastic idea but for the benefit of the longer term maybe we should be fielding McBurnie in Sharp's place for instance and persevere till he (hopefully comes good/grows into the role) and like you say have the veterans as an option from the bench to try and grab a goal if needed? We'll never spend £20 million on a player again unless we ever get back to the Prem so we may as well try with the one we did spend that kind of money on.

I know McBurnie hasn't done anything so far this and last season but there has got to be a player in there somewhere, he scored 22 in a season in this league before signing for us.
never rated mcburnie personally but i agree with you on this one give him a run of games and lets see what he can do dont think weve owt to lose didzy and billy cant be playing 2 games a week at their age having said that dont think slav rates mcburnie either

As usual a great assessment. I think we all felt despair after the encouraging fight back against Stoke, with Millwall fans saying it was nailed on that we would win. But SUFC, as it has always been as a club, except the amazing Wilder early years, can deflate the balloon of hope in a single game.
Lethargy- are the players lacking fitness? Two games in 4 days seems too much for their legs.
Inventive football - only Norwood's predictable ping to the wing is in our locker from any of the back 7 or 8 players. Nothing comes through from this bunch.
Strikers- Cow's arse and banjo front line. Exceptions, Billy when served well, Mousset, when not eating 5 McD's a day!
Our only real quality comes from the "number 10s" position, if I can put it that way. But they cannot do it all on their own. Here we have real talent, including McG.

I still have hope, I am Constantly Optimistic after all. There is a nucleus of something Slav is building. Fulham and Watford fans say wait until Christmas, all will change. I will wait. But he has to be given the tools for the job.

We live in hope, this is not a great division. If Bournemouth are running away with it, this proves the point. Get some momentum, some speed, some better delivery from the back and midfield, then maybe, just maybe we can climb to the upper level.

Thanks for your incisive, witty analysis Pommps, I look forward to it every match

UTB.

As usual a great assessment. I think we all felt despair after the encouraging fight back against Stoke, with Millwall fans saying it was nailed on that we would win. But SUFC, as it has always been as a club, except the amazing Wilder early years, can deflate the balloon of hope in a single game.
Lethargy- are the players lacking fitness? Two games in 4 days seems too much for their legs.
Inventive football - only Norwood's predictable ping to the wing is in our locker from any of the back 7 or 8 players. Nothing comes through from this bunch.
Strikers- Cow's arse and banjo front line. Exceptions, Billy when served well, Mousset, when not eating 5 McD's a day!
Our only real quality comes from the "number 10s" position, if I can put it that way. But they cannot do it all on their own. Here we have real talent, including McG.

I still have hope, I am Constantly Optimistic after all. There is a nucleus of something Slav is building. Fulham and Watford fans say wait until Christmas, all will change. I will wait. But he has to be given the tools for the job.

We live in hope, this is not a great division. If Bournemouth are running away with it, this proves the point. Get some momentum, some speed, some better delivery from the back and midfield, then maybe, just maybe we can climb to the upper level.

Thanks for your incisive, witty analysis Pommps, I look forward to it every match

UTB.
There have been several good balls forward by Davies, including a superb pass to Didzy to start the move from which Moose scored.

There have been several good balls forward by Davies, including a superb pass to Didzy to start the move from which Moose scored.
Are you his agent? He has cost us more goals than anything he has created. I look for players who make more positive contributions than negative. He is one of the better new recruits I agree, but there's not a lot of competition. He is certainly not a foil for Egan to work alongside. This was his purpose imo. Not a patch on a fit J O'C.

Are you his agent? He has cost us more goals than anything he has created. I look for players who make more positive contributions than negative. He is one of the better new recruits I agree, but there's not a lot of competition. He is certainly not a foil for Egan to work alongside. This was his purpose imo. Not a patch on a fit J O'C.
We cannot judge each CB by reference to one of the best on the left that we have had for years.
At this level Davies is fine, but if we can find better who wish to come, then great.

same owd same owd im afraid defence may be leaky at times but we just dont take our chances at the other end if we did our defenders would be so much more comfortable if we dont rectify it were going nowhere

Maybe the problem is that we just don't do the basics well,like pass,mark,tackle,press and more.It's ok wanting to play attacking football with a swagger,but if it's not underpinned with the basics,you haven't even earned the right to play that way,and teams like Millwall and Middlesboro who love the basics know this, see the weakness of our set up and go about undermining it and imposing their game on us,they have the players to play their game,we don't have them to play ours.Ours is a mouth and no trousers style,and our opponents know full well.

Back
Top Bottom