My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All Wilder's players need to go.
Rebuild only starts when all his manure has been sold or driven away.

I am inclined to agree.

Wilder gave us so much joy but fuck me didn't that sour quick the day we kicked off after lockdown.

That Villa game, the non-goal, the non-penalty, the subsequent collapse in form and structure is all on his watch, as are the disastrous acquisitions, in possibly the biggest transfer phase a Sheffield club has ever undertaken.

pommpey

Another dismal result, eh? Filled with all the stuff we've been talking about, lack of movement, pedestrian attack development, being closed down easily and dispossessed and a critical lack of clinical finishing. Millwall were actually more of a challenge than higher flying Stoke the other day. Again, teams know how we play and the fact that we have no ability to switch emphasis means that pressing and closing us down is a 1634719688599.pngand no matter how much we push it up the pitch into predictable areas, we are easily marshalled away or dispossesed. Even if we do threaten, it ends in disappointing, weak efforts on goal.

No Norwood to start with tonight, so pleasingly no Wilderball and our back four is starting to look a little more together, if not still vulnerable at times. We've stopped tonning it up into the dead zone, and more giving it to the gifted players like McGoldrick, Ndayie and MGW although tonight none of them sparkled. Millwall seemed to have us in their pocket in the first half and vast empty holes appeared in the middle of the park with our own players not showing short or moving into those areas for the player on the ball meant we simply got nowhere, fast. I did at first think that their first was an attempt on goal but having watched it again, it was a spawny floated back-sticker which had enough pace and direction to outfox Olsen. My mate, sat in the BLUT simply texted 'Reyt goal', and it was. We don't score ones like that do we? #1

Then we looked shaken and beaten, very much a hangover of the Weir-to-Adkins era. Fleck bought us an equaliser and after that we looked again on the up if not able to do anything with the roar of Unitedites encouraging them on. We'd changed format too but that didn't bring much fortune even in the second half we continued to huff and puff. So bloody frustrating. MGW basically gives the shit referee a chance to send him off and although we rallied with ten men, Millwall simply swatted us away and it looked likely than rather than us grinding out an unlikely victory, we'd give up a late goal for a predictable defeat. Their late goal was a 'reyt sickner', want it? Smacked accurately into the corner from 25 yards. We don't score ones like that, do we? #2

Olsen 4/10: He covered some efforts on goal but from distance and with the first goal, he is suspect. Is Fodders the answer?
Stevens 4/10: Substandard outing for him.
Egan 5/10: Again, the more time he stays unanchored to what looks now to be a permanently absent O'Connell, the less effective he becomes. There were 'okay' moments tonight, but he's no way as good as he was three seasons ago
Davies 6.5/10: A lot better tonight. Good interceptions and clearances and a bit more bite in his defending
Bogle 6.5/10: Thought he had a decent game up until his injury which I hope doesn't keep him out for long. He does combine well with the attack and has decent vision
Fleck 3/10: No apologies. Dispossessed and coughing up possession is Jimmy Fleck stuff and he isn't anything like the 8+/10 entity we saw develop and shine two seasons ago. He is predictable and easy to play against, simple as.
Hourihane 3/10: One of the 'holes' in midfield and somewhat of a mystery as to what he has above Norwood
MGW 4/10: Mainly fo his endeavour but he has the temperament in him to attract unsympathy from officials. Looking back at it now, deservedly redded
McGoldrick 4/10: Usually one of my favourites and showing class finishing on Saturday, but tonight substandard and error prone with sitters and misplaced passes alike
Osborn 5/10: Another blood+guts+nowt performance. Great effort but for fucks sake go round your man, get the early cross in or press on to the penalty area
Sharp 4/10: Great penalty but got nothing, despite busting a gut. It's been the story of his time at United.

Ndaiye 6/10: He at least tries and runs at oppositions but he tries too hard at times and they nick the ball off him or marshal him into areas where he is isolated and ineffective
Norwood 6/10: A better game from him, even though it is still not good enough for this level and for our ambitions
Basham 5.5/10: Shows endeavour and enterprise and was up that wing many times into the danger area if to hit the wall when there's no one reading him and moving into space

Slav 6/10: Still trying to get the best out of a team largely filled with losers and deadbeats. Some of them expensive ones too.

Ref: Fucking wanker. Yep. I think that sums him up. I sincerely hope his next shit is a hedgehog tied to a sea anenome, holding an open umbrella

pommpey

This goalie is shite. Absolutely shite. No upgrade on the other 2 shite keepers. And the defence think he's shite as well. Witness Egan refusing to talk him while snatching the ball off him after his latest howler. Things he's good at - 1. Clapping. 2. Pointing 3. Err.... that's it. He's 6 foot fucking 5 and he can't just tip that one over the bar? I'll say it again with bells on. He's absolutely overflowing slop-bucket shite.
And Pommpey, I have to disagree about Mcgoldrick. I think his time is up. Did well against a tired Stoke defence late on last Saturday, but misses so many chances. Can't remember anyone else missing as many as he does. For the first half chance, put your fucking foot through it for fucks sake! And the second half one was true Peter Osgood in front of the Kop in 1973 (shakes head slowly...). This wouldn't matter so much if he these was isolated incidents. But it's week after week with wasted chances from him.....
Hourihane? Tossing it off for a year on loan market wages. Useless waste of oxygen...
And the referee was bang right with the penalty dive.....

With the eleven men that started the second half on until the end of the game, we win that I’m sure. Didzy should have had us in front before the second yellow.

Fleck being dispossessed too often

Another shockingly bad referee.

We can‘t seem to do any good at evening matches, why?

Pathetic commentator on sky, another match with the sound off for most of the game.

To be fair to Millwall, there were points in the match where the could have started time wasting and other antics like Preston did, but instead they played a good game.

Another dismal result, eh? Filled with all the stuff we've been talking about, lack of movement, pedestrian attack development, being closed down easily and dispossessed and a critical lack of clinical finishing. Millwall were actually more of a challenge than higher flying Stoke the other day. Again, teams know how we play and the fact that we have no ability to switch emphasis means that pressing and closing us down is a cinch and no matter how much we push it up the pitch into predictable areas, we are easily marshalled away or dispossesed. Even if we do threaten, it ends in disappointing, weak efforts on goal.

No Norwood to start with tonight, so pleasingly no Wilderball and our back four is starting to look a little more together, if not still vulnerable at times. We've stopped tonning it up into the dead zone, and more giving it to the gifted players like McGoldrick, Ndayie and MGW although tonight none of them sparkled. Millwall seemed to have us in their pocket in the first half and vast empty holes appeared in the middle of the park with our own players not showing short or moving into those areas for the player on the ball meant we simply got nowhere, fast. I did at first think that their first was an attempt on goal but having watched it again, it was a spawny floated back-sticker which had enough pace and direction to outfox Olsen. My mate, sat in the BLUT simply texted 'Reyt goal', and it was. We don't score ones like that do we? #1

Then we looked shaken and beaten, very much a hangover of the Weir-to-Adkins era. Fleck bought us an equaliser and after that we looked again on the up if not able to do anything with the roar of Unitedites encouraging them on. We'd changed format too but that didn't bring much fortune even in the second half we continued to huff and puff. So bloody frustrating. MGW basically gives the shit referee a chance to send him off and although we rallied with ten men, Millwall simply swatted us away and it looked likely than rather than us grinding out an unlikely victory, we'd give up a late goal for a predictable defeat. Their late goal was a 'reyt sickner', want it? Smacked accurately into the corner from 25 yards. We don't score ones like that, do we? #2

Olsen 4/10: He covered some efforts on goal but from distance and with the first goal, he is suspect. Is Fodders the answer?
Stevens 4/10: Substandard outing for him.
Egan 5/10: Again, the more time he stays unanchored to what looks now to be a permanently absent O'Connell, the less effective he becomes. There were 'okay' moments tonight, but he's no way as good as he was three seasons ago
Davies 6.5/10: A lot better tonight. Good interceptions and clearances and a bit more bite in his defending
Bogle 6.5/10: Thought he had a decent game up until his injury which I hope doesn't keep him out for long. He does combine well with the attack and has decent vision
Fleck 3/10: No apologies. Dispossessed and coughing up possession is Jimmy Fleck stuff and he isn't anything like the 8+/10 entity we saw develop and shine two seasons ago. He is predictable and easy to play against, simple as.
Hourihane 3/10: One of the 'holes' in midfield and somewhat of a mystery as to what he has above Norwood
MGW 4/10: Mainly fo his endeavour but he has the temperament in him to attract unsympathy from officials. Looking back at it now, deservedly redded
McGoldrick 4/10: Usually one of my favourites and showing class finishing on Saturday, but tonight substandard and error prone with sitters and misplaced passes alike
Osborn 5/10: Another blood+guts+nowt performance. Great effort but for fucks sake go round your man, get the early cross in or press on to the penalty area
Sharp 4/10: Great penalty but got nothing, despite busting a gut. It's been the story of his time at United.

Ndaiye 6/10: He at least tries and runs at oppositions but he tries too hard at times and they nick the ball off him or marshal him into areas where he is isolated and ineffective
Norwood 6/10: A better game from him, even though it is still not good enough for this level and for our ambitions
Basham 5.5/10: Shows endeavour and enterprise and was up that wing many times into the danger area if to hit the wall when there's no one reading him and moving into space

Slav 6/10: Still trying to get the best out of a team largely filled with losers and deadbeats. Some of them expensive ones too.

Ref: Fucking wanker. Yep. I think that sums him up. I sincerely hope his next shit is a hedgehog tied to a sea anenome, holding an open umbrella

pommpey
Decent summary apart from Didsy I know he scored Saturday and he still has a few nice touches but he’s all washed up no energy no desire in the Wilder period his strength was creating for others that’s gone please don’t give him another contract same for the other known culprits of yesteryear glories

If Fleck is so easy to play against, how was he able to win us a penalty? Yet Osborn was awful (again) and nobody sees it?

Look we get what we deserve. Fans continue to praise busy energetic players who are given very little tactical responsibility in the team purely because of "effort", "work rate" "pashun" despite them offering ZERO to our play. And the technical players who are given a greater burden in the side, or the young wonderkids coming through the system, are always taken to task and suffer from far greater expectations. We've had this mentality for as long as I've followed the Blades and we don't deserve any better than what gets served up.

That's his 4th goal in 6 appearances against us.

He scored in both games in 2018-19 as you say, and also scored when we lost 3-1 there in 2017-18.
Jake Cooper has scored 16 in 183 games for Millwall. Take out his games against us and he's a 1-in-15 player which would still put him third or fourth in our current squad.

If we want to proper pile in on Didzy.... his glaring miss is the reason MGW got sent off. Think about it

Referee total tosser. After saying that we cant blame him for loss. McGoldrick a one trick pony.. how he managed to scoop that cross over the bar from 3 inches out beats me.
Slav must decide who is going for January clear out- we cant keep carrying 5/6 strikers who dont get a game.
Cant think of anything else to say-- total disillusionment in our household.

If we want to proper pile in on Didzy.... his glaring miss is the reason MGW got sent off. Think about it
Well true. But everything that goes a certain way and not one of a million other ways in a game is a sliding doors moment.

If that Millwall cross that fluked in to the goal hadn’t then maybe the ridiculous ref would have pulled his ham string and limped off.

Jake Cooper has scored 16 in 183 games for Millwall. Take out his games against us and he's a 1-in-15 player which would still put him third or fourth in our current squad.
I was wrong, at 0.09 goals per appearance Cooper would be 6th in our squad behind Sharp (0.39 total; 0.44 this spell), McGoldrick (0.23), Mousset (0.16), McBurnie (0.10) and Bogle (0.10). Four of the five ahead of him are centre forwards.

Fourth???
This didn't go to even my moderate plan. You sum it up Pommps. I'd have been ok with a point except for the officials. We weren't great (well, a bit crap really, and I finally see your view about Norwood, especially with corners and free kicks), but this was one of the worst displays by the team of officials I've seen for a very long time. As Esteemed Forgeblade said, 10 against 11 is fair enough, 10 against 14 isn't really doable. Combine this with our very disjointed approach (very different to Saturday, when in phases we did look like a team who had met each other before the game), and just a disaster really.
Couple of beers and a large Jamesons has taken the edge off, but not the greatest Tuesday night ever!!!
Whether the officials were good or bad we did enough to have won that game, despite being awful.
Probably worse than the officials.
A good team wins matches despite dodgy refereeing.

Hang on Pomps, while your assessment of the game is pretty much spot on, I have to pull you up here:-

"...Sharp 4/10: Great penalty but got nothing, despite busting a gut. It's been the story of his time at United...."

Behave lad! :)

Billy was instrumental in getting us out of League One, and has scored at every level asked of him. The clock is running against him now, we all know that, and it's the one thing that none of us can stop, but we all know that (as it stands) he is the only one of our strikers you would think has a chance of scoring.

Put it this way, if Billy was taking the one-on-one (first half), instead of McG, it's pretty much in the net.

And if it's Billy, 5 feet in front of goal, (instead of McG), it doesn't go over the bar.

Mousset might have put the away as well, but give Billy a sniff on goal and he will have more of chance of converting than anyone else we have.
Agree ... but.

Billy is BIlly, isn't he? He's no damned use to us chasing long balls in the channels, no use trying to digging possession out, somewhere outside of the 18 yard box, no use standing in the actual box with his arm up when our set of laughable fools are passing it about in neat triangles out wide in the crossing zone. He feeds of half chances and opportunism, a proper shitliner, 2/5 times flagged offside but 2/5 times on target with a foot or head in and always looking for that chance. It's how he has been so prolific, and it's how opposition supporters say, 'Fucking Billy Sharp. Always scores against us, the cunt'. I'm happy with that assessment and I guess he is too.

But if we fail to feed him, and we have done so badly in the past two seasons, he's gonna be bollocks. If we even had 50% the better methods of supplying him, he'd be on 30+ goals every season and still worth £20m, even at 35. Think what Kevin Philips was worth, Jermaine Defoe and other long lived veterans who were still smacking them in, late on in their careers. They only did so because their team weren't dicking about playing keep ball or overhitting crosses. If they had half a chance, half a yard, it was in the back of the net.

Billy needs that

pommpey

Agree ... but.

Billy is BIlly, isn't he? He's no damned use to us chasing long balls in the channels, no use trying to digging possession out, somewhere outside of the 18 yard box, no use standing in the actual box with his arm up when our set of laughable fools are passing it about in neat triangles out wide in the crossing zone. He feeds of half chances and opportunism, a proper shitliner, 2/5 times flagged offside but 2/5 times on target with a foot or head in and always looking for that chance. It's how he has been so prolific, and it's how opposition supporters say, 'Fucking Billy Sharp. Always scores against us, the cunt'. I'm happy with that assessment and I guess he is too.

But if we fail to feed him, and we have done so badly in the past two seasons, he's gonna be bollocks. If we even had 50% the better methods of supplying him, he'd be on 30+ goals every season and still worth £20m, even at 35. Think what Kevin Philips was worth, Jermaine Defoe and other long lived veterans who were still smacking them in, late on in their careers. They only did so because their team weren't dicking about playing keep ball or overhitting crosses. If they had half a chance, half a yard, it was in the back of the net.

Billy needs that

pommpey

Ah, now if you had added "due to his team mates", to your original comment, I would have seen where you were coming from!

Thanks agree. Was sat in the BLUT for our first home game of the season and it was a bag of ups and downs. Everyone agrees first half was a stinker. The ref was awful.
I'm happily resigned to us being a mid table team for this season and I reckon Slav is using this time to a) keep us up best he can (although he still talks about pushing for play offs in his interviews and b) use the time till January as a full evaluation of all the players. Possibly why some of his decisions seem a little weird. Then come January we might see a fire sale to get rid of the rot. Trouble is its most of the team.

January will be very interesting.

This goalie is shite. Absolutely shite. No upgrade on the other 2 shite keepers. And the defence think he's shite as well. Witness Egan refusing to talk him while snatching the ball off him after his latest howler. Things he's good at - 1. Clapping. 2. Pointing 3. Err.... that's it. He's 6 foot fucking 5 and he can't just tip that one over the bar? I'll say it again with bells on. He's absolutely overflowing slop-bucket shite.
And Pommpey, I have to disagree about Mcgoldrick. I think his time is up. Did well against a tired Stoke defence late on last Saturday, but misses so many chances. Can't remember anyone else missing as many as he does. For the first half chance, put your fucking foot through it for fucks sake! And the second half one was true Peter Osgood in front of the Kop in 1973 (shakes head slowly...). This wouldn't matter so much if he these was isolated incidents. But it's week after week with wasted chances from him.....
Hourihane? Tossing it off for a year on loan market wages. Useless waste of oxygen...
And the referee was bang right with the penalty dive.....
Contrast Olsen to the Millwall keeper who pulled off a world class save from Ndiaye to keep them in it.

Ah, now if you had added "due to his team mates", to your original comment, I would have seen where you were coming from!

Yeah mate. Totally.

Billy can't do it all on his own as much as we see him try. If you were in goal and he was in the box, you'd be hoping your centre-backs had him clocked and in their line of sight at all times, else the stray, loose ball, the cross between the centre-backs or the shot I push out will be punished by him at least 7 times out of 10. He has that much of added danger. But if we are mired in this mindset which has us corralled into the rectangle outside each penalty area playing tippy-tappy, if we haven't got a natural crosser (hah, when have we had that since Woodward?) or if people aren't opening fire on their goal from range with shots which their goalie is troubled by, then Billy is redundant. Defore and Phillips (for example) were protagonists of this opportunists gambit. We don't have a target man to knock the ball down for Billy (like Phillips had at Sunderland with Quinn, for example) so our outfield failures have to stop their daft shit and get creative.

pommpey

I am inclined to agree.

Wilder gave us so much joy but fuck me didn't that sour quick the day we kicked off after lockdown.

That Villa game, the non-goal, the non-penalty, the subsequent collapse in form and structure is all on his watch, as are the disastrous acquisitions, in possibly the biggest transfer phase a Sheffield club has ever undertaken.

pommpey
That non goal at Villa. Portent of the utter, unbelievable shitfest to come.

That non goal at Villa. Portent of the utter, unbelievable shitfest to come.

It was, wasn't it?

From then on in, bar a couple of end-of-season wins at Bramall Lane, a couple of shock wins at Man and Everton and a 6-2 trouncing of a poor Peterborough outfit, everything has been a microwaved jug of piping hot faeces, with toenail and bogey croutons.

In another universe, we'd possibly think the club was once punching way above its weight and rightfully found out, and whilst taking that in, was mugged for the content of it's pockets in several dismal signings.

pommpey

Too harsh on Sharp, he kept dragging the defenders around, but our team are too slow in thought and deed to play quick balls into gaps. Without him we'd be even worse off, he's fitter than ever and doing ok. Otherwise I agree with your analysis.

I think MGW is the real villain, not the ref, ok soft yellow in the first half but he's a professional and you don't give the ref any more decisions to make, then what does he do? He dives for a pen. Stupid and lost us the game overall.

I think this is the point that we shouldn't lose sight of.

I don't feel Slav is under pressure because he has inherited a team that lost 29/38. He's lost the one who was player of the year and replaced in the dying embers of the window with a loanee who hardly played at Everton. I can't deny Gibbs-White has been a good pick up and N'Diaye has been an added bonus. But otherwise Davies has yet to show his best and still lags behind O'Connell and Hourihane has done nothing to displace Norwood.

In truth there isn't much value in this squad. He's basically having to teach them to play football again properly.

He may be working without certain players but let's not pretend he's down 70m worth of talent.

McBurnie might fetch 10m if you're lucky and we find someone desperate enough. Otherwise I can imagine he sees out his contract and joins Rangers on a free in 18 months.

Brewster isn't a 23m play. He's done little to suggest he's a 2.3m player. At best he's someone he may look the part in the final year of a 5 year deal is mollycoddled for the next few seasons. Probably the most lavishly over expensive buy ever in football compared to relative resources. I can only think of Coutinho not fitting in at Barca after 142m or Akinbiyi going to Leicester for 5.3m that come remotely close. He makes Jordan Rhodes look a snip.

Berge is like one of those shiny Russian dolls, looks great on first viewing but as you peel away the initial packaging there is less and less there. His lack of availability is now noteworthy to any interested club. Most of which rated him as 10-15m max. To paraphrase Darth Vader's dying moments "tell Pommpey he was right."

Plus the club failed to get Slav 'the bloke who plays with wingers' any wingers at all. Nice one.

I bet he'd like to offload most of the strikers. The only one who probably fits the bill is Mousset who is strong, pacy and but fit is one thing that he certainly isn't. So he's left relying on soon to be 36 year old Billy.

All in all he's got a pretty shit hand. Best we can hope for is something to click and the season ending in play off failure and then Slav gutting the squad and bringing in the players he needs. I don't see how we trouble Bournemouth, West Brom and Fulham in getting out of this division.
One of the best posts I have EVER read

I am inclined to agree.

pommpey
This. 100% this. The vast majority of the shitshow we find ourselves in right now is all on one man. The man who spent more money than we've ever spent, and spent the majority of it on players who just aren't good enough, or aren't right for us (Berge). He gave us the best 4-5 years I'll probably ever see as a Blade, and I thank him for that. But then he royally fucked up, refused to adapt, and eventually left us deep in the mire, and with several enormously expensive millstones around our collective necks.

It's a shame that such a spectacular period in our history went south so quickly really. It's going to take the club a long time to recover.

With the eleven men that started the second half on until the end of the game, we win that I’m sure. Didzy should have had us in front before the second yellow.

Fleck being dispossessed too often

Another shockingly bad referee.

We can‘t seem to do any good at evening matches, why?

Pathetic commentator on sky, another match with the sound off for most of the game.

To be fair to Millwall, there were points in the match where the could have started time wasting and other antics like Preston did, but instead they played a good game.
The commentator had no idea MGW was dismissed til he turned down the tunnel.
That's how bad he was. No replays either on red button matches. Really poor.

Back
Top Bottom