My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yeah I've never quite got the whole "you have to be at the match or your opinion doesn't count" viewpoint.

I've had a season ticket for more years than I care to admit as it shows how old I am (sore point) but I still don't go to every game as there are certain things that get in the way namely work or just having far much to do at home that means taking 6 hours out of my Saturday isn't possible (I don't live in Sheffield anymore). I've not actually "not seen" a game in years due to the amazing advent of VPN's, I'm just not always there in person so to say my view of a game isn't valid as I wasn't there in person is quite frankly insulting. Yes you get a "different" view on the box as to being there in person but doesn't meaqn it's better!

True - and kudos to people who don't live in the Blades Zone who still go. I live 220 miles from BDTBL and it's four hours on a good day one way, and about a hundred quid in fuel. How people expect exiles to make that commitment just to justify their setpoint of owning a valid opinion is something psychologists possibly need to engage with. It certainly indicates an entrenched sense of entitlement of some who sit in the ground and consider themselves superior in footballing intellect and bestowed of a more righteous opinion, even it they sit at the TC Stand/BL Upper interface and there's an iffy penalty shout 120 metres away over in front of the kop/JS corner.

As for mine and other opinions on player like Norwood and Ramsdale, I just wish people would grow the fuck up. The day that some internet blowhard has sway over the experienced and well aid playing staff and management of the club we follow is the day we deserve to be relegated. So I say Norwood is a busted flush predictable show-pony? He's hardly likely to read it and even if he does, he'd probably saying (whilst counting a wad of fifties) 'what the fuck does that fat cunt know about the professional game I play'? ... and he's right. I'm not lobbing direct abuse at him (and loads of that descends from the terraces every week) nor am I calling him or his mum a cunt. So why do people take it as their own personal insult if I say Norwood played shit? Why not disprove my statement, without getting personal?

I will continue to watch and continue to write My Takes and continue to help the mercurial team at Sheff Utd Way too. I won't be silenced, let alone by people who clearly have deeply ingrained personal issues with me.

pommpey

True - and kudos to people who don't live in the Blades Zone who still go. I live 220 miles from BDTBL and it's four hours on a good day one way, and about a hundred quid in fuel. How people expect exiles to make that commitment just to justify their setpoint of owning a valid opinion is something psychologists possibly need to engage with. It certainly indicates an entrenched sense of entitlement of some who sit in the ground and consider themselves superior in footballing intellect and bestowed of a more righteous opinion, even it they sit at the TC Stand/BL Upper interface and there's an iffy penalty shout 120 metres away over in front of the kop/JS corner.

As for mine and other opinions on player like Norwood and Ramsdale, I just wish people would grow the fuck up. The day that some internet blowhard has sway over the experienced and well aid playing staff and management of the club we follow is the day we deserve to be relegated. So I say Norwood is a busted flush predictable show-pony? He's hardly likely to read it and even if he does, he'd probably saying (whilst counting a wad of fifties) 'what the fuck does that fat cunt know about the professional game I play'? ... and he's right. I'm not lobbing direct abuse at him (and loads of that descends from the terraces every week) nor am I calling him or his mum a cunt. So why do people take it as their own personal insult if I say Norwood played shit? Why not disprove my statement, without getting personal?

I will continue to watch and continue to write My Takes and continue to help the mercurial team at Sheff Utd Way too. I won't be silenced, let alone by people who clearly have deeply ingrained personal issues with me.

pommpey

I'd love to see a "My Take" version on camera on The Sheff Utd Way. Post watershed and with disclaimers obviously. Considering I like to "have a few beers" wathcing our beloved club I'd happily get involved.

Come on YorkBlade make it happen 😂 😂 😂

Keep up the good work, Pompey. The time to get worried is when there is no (or little) reaction to your posts. In the days before the internet I used to have a regular beef about Billy Dearden - not big enough; too light; gets knocked off the ball too easily etc etc.
Some "smart alec" then reminded me(& about 200 others on the Kop) that he regularly scored 20 goals a season. Still think I was right.:mad:

Fuck me. It's like a madrassa in here isn't it? Rows and rows of Billy Big Blade adherents kneeling, chanting, smashing their foreheads into their carefully crafted stats books and following the mantra of 'unless you are physically sat in Bramall Lane, your opinion is invalid'. You're a convert Silent. Like Sitwell, your ovaries have packed up and the night sweats have started, and now you are in 'the change'. You never used to be like this. You used to be a very knowledgeable and wise owl on these boards with the kudos that you've attended plenty of games in your life but let's face it, you could have attended every fucking minutes of every match ever played since you were spat out of your mum's undermeats but your Bladeyness is zero point zero more credible than say, many of the remotely placed Blades overseas or even those sat in Sheffield and don't know where Bramall fucking Lane is.

So take your 'You weren't at the match' bollocks, craft it into a comfortable cigar shape, give it a moisten, lay on your side, lift a leg if needed and slip the fucker deep into your back passage, eh? Sharp's header? It gets 1 of the 4 for that. He was wasteful yesterday when offered the rare chance and wasn't the real Billy Sharp we have seen and know would have got a lot more. Elsewhere he wasn't much involved in attack save maybe for the build up to our first.

Happy, oh revered King of the Blades?

pommpey

pommpey

Posted before I made a post , who has issues ?

Posted before I made a post , who has issues ?

Clearly, you.

It's you who ventures into My take with worrying regularity to mix it up and make the thread all about me. Go back and check over the many that have been posted. If I piss you off that much and there is little you can do to silence me, you'd think the better, more mature judgement would be to simply fucking ignore me or even block me. Plenty have and plenty do, and plenty more just think 'not that cunt again' and scroll past.

Why can't you?

I dare you to.

pommpey

I'd love to see a "My Take" version on camera on The Sheff Utd Way. Post watershed and with disclaimers obviously. Considering I like to "have a few beers" wathcing our beloved club I'd happily get involved.

Come on YorkBlade make it happen 😂 😂 😂
That would be good! Pommpey is already on our Fans React videos after games, same energy, less sweary.

Don't really get the vitriol that this always descends into. The clue is in the title. It might be bollocks, but it's Pommps bollocks and he owns it. Everybody has an opinion, bollocks or not it's a personal view they are entitled to hold. Disagree, agree, ignore should be the 3 choices available. Two of those offer the chance to respond with your version of how you saw it. Personally I prefer a Bergen Blade technical breakdown, but also appreciate most don't have the knowledge or time to do that.

I'll just say the impact of McGoldrick wasn't just down to the man himself.

Don't really get the vitriol that this always descends into. The clue is in the title. It might be bollocks, but it's Pommps bollocks and he owns it. Everybody has an opinion, bollocks or not it's a personal view they are entitled to hold. Disagree, agree, ignore should be the 3 choices available. Two of those offer the chance to respond with your version of how you saw it. Personally I prefer a Bergen Blade technical breakdown, but also appreciate most don't have the knowledge or time to do that.

I'll just say the impact of McGoldrick wasn't just down to the man himself.

That's fine. I agree. What annoys me (and I assume others) is some people do reply quite reasonably but are often met with aggressive responses. The reply to 1066 for example. Unless I was missing an in-joke?

I have absolutely no problem with his views on the match.

That's fine. I agree. What annoys me (and I assume others) is some people do reply quite reasonably but are often met with aggressive responses. The reply to 1066 for example. Unless I was missing an in-joke?

I have absolutely no problem with his views on the match.

It was a pretty sarcastic response to a Billy Sharp comment (is that the one?). Look, you know what's coming most of the time. I don't like the sexist, misogynist insults and if they continue I'm sending Mrs SEB round to give the pommpey arse a good kicking, but the in your face, aggressive delivery of 'my take' isn't a new thing, it's always been that way and the responses will be no different.

It was a pretty sarcastic response to a Billy Sharp comment (is that the one?). Look, you know what's coming most of the time. I don't like the sexist, misogynist insults and if they continue I'm sending Mrs SEB round to give the pommpey arse a good kicking, but the in your face, aggressive delivery of 'my take' isn't a new thing, it's always been that way and the responses will be no different.
So because its pommpey and its something he's always done its acceptable? It's my belief that the manner of his prose, his aggressive and dismissive comments about United players are craving a response. He's obviously got an agenda against Norwood. No problem its his opinion but when you take him to task over his comments he spits his dummy out and becomes personal. He says he wants to talk football but never does, resorting to infantile remarks instead. He keeps mentioning a group of people are against him. I know nothing of him or the other posters he refers to, its all in his head. People are right when they say put him on ignore but to leave him to spout his nonsense unchallenged would be a mistake. The jokes about him never going to a game obviously get to him when in reality it should be like water off a duck's back. He's been around long enough to be able to take a bit of stick, especially as it's him that usually doles it out in the first place. Anyway, got to go, I've a match to go to.

I thought we were alright. We were well on top but didn't convert (same old story) until they scored, we had a bit of a wobble for about 10 minutes after that, but we sorted things out. We were well worth the win.

I appreciate we all watch a different game and people get frustrated but I don't think they collectively played too badly. We had enough chances to be 2/3-0 up at halftime, but we could have also gone in behind with Sharps clearance.

I'm the first to slate Moose, I think he's unfit & has had a poor attitude but he couldn't have really done much more than he did at the weekend. Maybe 6/10 would be fair.

One thing I do agree with however is how vulnerable we are at the back & it's worrying. WBA exposed this badly and I have a feeling we'll receive another battering before the season ends. Enda is extremely clumsy, giving fouls away needlessly in dangerous positions.

I thought Fleck/ Osborn/ NDiaye/ Davies / MGW & McGoldrick all had pretty good games.

In the days before the internet I used to have a regular beef about Billy Dearden - not big enough; too light; gets knocked off the ball too easily etc etc.
They had to catch him first, and not many were able to do that. We could do with the like of him in the current team for sure!

To be honest SEB, if people want to change personality, attitude and outlook over a period of time which mimics the characteristics of a menopausal woman, then it's hardly sexist as a descriptor, is it? Do you ever say someone acts 'like a old person' or 'like a child' as a comparator or even 'like a mental person'? Where do you get off regarding in-groups and out-groups?

As for misogyny, are you sure that also is a healthy term to use? Misogyny is a fear, dislike or distrust of females. I am not getting where describing some contributor's behaviours on here as similar to menopausal women's sometimes irrational mindsets can be construed as 'fear, dislike or distrust'. It's a convenient stick to smack someone with isn't it, and somewhat unneeded and out of context? Like I say, we have to be careful how we moderate our language here otherwise we will simply grey-out the vernacular, an entropy which only the dull and mediocre seem to desire just for the sake of their own limited world-view and ambitions.

Finally, can you explain why so many people who clearly can't articulate in footballing terms why 'My take ... ' is at odds with the way they saw it come by frequently to turn the debate about football into a fist fight about pommpey, save from a strange, dark obsession which is fundamentally irrational and habit-forming? I could hazard a guess but it may label me a 'victim' on here so I'll baulk at that.

pommpey

They did. Self-styled analysts judge players on a scale up to 8 max, and then give marks out of 10 - bit bizarre really!
The scoring is always low from Pommpey, I'd love to know what a player needs to do to receive 9/10. Maybe Leon when he scored 4 vs Hull. I suppose low scoring causes a reaction and gets the debate going.

So because its pommpey and its something he's always done its acceptable? It's my belief that the manner of his prose, his aggressive and dismissive comments about United players are craving a response. He's obviously got an agenda against Norwood. No problem its his opinion but when you take him to task over his comments he spits his dummy out and becomes personal. He says he wants to talk football but never does, resorting to infantile remarks instead. He keeps mentioning a group of people are against him. I know nothing of him or the other posters he refers to, its all in his head. People are right when they say put him on ignore but to leave him to spout his nonsense unchallenged would be a mistake. The jokes about him never going to a game obviously get to him when in reality it should be like water off a duck's back. He's been around long enough to be able to take a bit of stick, especially as it's him that usually doles it out in the first place. Anyway, got to go, I've a match to go to.

You claim you know nothing of me, yet you give a pretty detailed invective about my attitude and behaviour.

Make your fucking mind up, eh?

You claim 'people are right' when it's suggested that posters such as yourself put me on ignore yet claim that would be a mistake, like you are the authorised moderator of these environs and it's your mission to take me to task, usually only when the discussion has descended past football and into the back-and-forth. You have form for it.

The 'comments' (they aren't 'jokes') about me not going to games don't 'get to me' as much as show the pointlessness of some people's arguments, especially as since they actually sat in the stadium, they never actually articulate a single thoughts about the match they claim to have watched with more authority than the rest of us who saw it on telly. It's top-shelf Billy Big Blades bollocks, and note, the stick I give out is always reactive, so your 'he gives it out in the first place' is utter dogshit, and you know it.

Oh, and I don't have an agenda against Norwood. I simply don't think he is a good player. If we disagree, fine, but I'd like some evidence as to why we disagree and you see him as something great in our abject midfield.

Over to you.

pommpey

The scoring is always low from Pommpey, I'd love to know what a player needs to do to receive 9/10. Maybe Leon when he scored 4 vs Hull. I suppose low scoring causes a reaction and gets the debate going.

I've detailed this before, but 'my' scoring (and for fucks sake, it is simply an opinion and not an official one) is that everyone starts on a 5/10 and as the game progresses my evaluation varies therein. TO start everyone on a zero would be ridiculous and save us winning 25-0 with even Olsen scoring a hat trick of 25 yarders, no one would get above 6/10.

pommpey

pommpey
I haven't entered the great pommpey (sorry, don't know how to do the name in red) debate so far, though have followed it for some time not knowing whether to laugh or cry. Something that comes across as important to me in all this is the question: what kind of criticism of players is fair, what is unfair and does it matter anyway?

As you say above, pommps, you are entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else on the forum. For what it's worth, I generally agree with your assessments and am often amused by the colourful way in which you express them, though sometimes they are too coarse for my taste and then don't amuse me. You also say your criticisms of certain players do not descend into personal abuse, which is as it should be, I think. In this regard I think your posts have noticeably changed in recent months, as your previous description of McBurnie as McPub, for example, clearly went beyond a reasonable assessment of the way he played. You hardly need it pointing out that if McBurnie played in any pub team against your local, he'd score at least a hat trick every game, if not far more.

So to come to my point, I think the only fair criticism of players should be on any of the following grounds: a) if they don't play to the best of their ability on the day - if they don't try as hard as they could, in other words; b) if they don't play to the manager's instructions; c) if they don't train as hard as they could and don't follow the staff's instructions in training, under which I would also include not keeping themselves as fit as they should be.

If a player doesn't meet any one of these criteria consistently - and it has to be a period of several games as he could still have the occasional "off day" for a whole variety of reasons that can't be known - then it's fair to say he's not good enough for the current requirements. But that is a different thing from saying a player is "shit" or any other of the insults often heaped on him on this forum (though not by most posters, I must say). It's fair to say such and such a player had a bad game/played poorly on the day, but if that carries on then the blame shifts, in my view, to the manager for continuing to pick him. It's not a player's fault if he's doing his best but isn't good enough.

Does all this matter? As pommpey says, players are unlikely to look at this forum - though some clearly have in the past. But it matters, I think, in that if true fans show fairness in their attitudes towards players and the club in general, it makes the whole wonderful experience of supporting a club like Sheffield United so much the better for everyone.

To be honest SEB, if people want to change personality, attitude and outlook over a period of time which mimics the characteristics of a menopausal woman, then it's hardly sexist as a descriptor, is it? Do you ever say someone acts 'like a old person' or 'like a child' as a comparator or even 'like a mental person'? Where do you get off regarding in-groups and out-groups?

As for misogyny, are you sure that also is a healthy term to use? Misogyny is a fear, dislike or distrust of females. I am not getting where describing some contributor's behaviours on here as similar to menopausal women's sometimes irrational mindsets can be construed as 'fear, dislike or distrust'. It's a convenient stick to smack someone with isn't it, and somewhat unneeded and out of context? Like I say, we have to be careful how we moderate our language here otherwise we will simply grey-out the vernacular, an entropy which only the dull and mediocre seem to desire just for the sake of their own limited world-view and ambitions.

Finally, can you explain why so many people who clearly can't articulate in footballing terms why 'My take ... ' is at odds with the way they saw it come by frequently to turn the debate about football into a fist fight about pommpey, save from a strange, dark obsession which is fundamentally irrational and habit-forming? I could hazard a guess but it may label me a 'victim' on here so I'll baulk at that.

pommpey

No problem with calling a twat a twat, or cunt if you like. If the response is irrational, out of context, over emotional then call it, but labelling it like a menopausal women is sexist and maybe shows a bit of fear (apologies if that isn't the case). I live with one (A menopausal woman that is, not a sexist) and she doesn't show any of the behaviour traits you allude to, and would be affronted to be generalised in that way.

As for why this turns into a fist fight? I think a few people need to be reminded of rule number one on here: PLAY THE POST, NOT THE POSTER. If people disagree with Norwood getting 2/10 then give your view of what he did to get a 3 NOT a critique of the Pommps circumstance (not there) or a tirade about his scapegoating of said player. This is only a forum, all opinions are as bollocks as the next one, including mine.

I've detailed this before, but 'my' scoring (and for fucks sake, it is simply an opinion and not an official one) is that everyone starts on a 5/10 and as the game progresses my evaluation varies therein. TO start everyone on a zero would be ridiculous and save us winning 25-0 with even Olsen scoring a hat trick of 25 yarders, no one would get above 6/10.

pommpey
Mate, no need to be defensive, it was a joke. Hence the Leon Clarke comment....I can see you're in a lot of debates with others on here. As I said in my other comment within the thread everyone witnesses a football match differently, I remember crapping myself vs Denmark in Euro's then I listened to a podcast that said we cruised the game fairly easily.

No problem with calling a twat a twat, or cunt if you like. If the response is irrational, out of context, over emotional then call it, but labelling it like a menopausal women is sexist and maybe shows a bit of fear (apologies if that isn't the case). I live with one (A menopausal woman that is, not a sexist) and she doesn't show any of the behaviour traits you allude to, and would be affronted to be generalised in that way.

As for why this turns into a fist fight? I think a few people need to be reminded of rule number one on here: PLAY THE POST, NOT THE POSTER. If people disagree with Norwood getting 2/10 then give your view of what he did to get a 3 NOT a critique of the Pommps circumstance (not there) or a tirade about his scapegoating of said player. This is only a forum, all opinions are as bollocks as the next one, including mine.
Im menopausal and you're all cunts :rolleyes:

Again, not sure how describing a man's behaviour as similar to a medically attributed characteristic to menopausal women shows 'fear'. Contrary to that, I have pity on the whole lumpen 'lot' which a woman faces compare to us on the other side of the gender divide, from birth to grave. The only advantage seem to be having drinks bought for you on occasion*. Everything else seems like a poorly dealt out physiological deck of cards with us holding all the pictures and aces. Menopause? Fuck that. I'll happily hobble about on my arthritic knees and take my chances on other male-orientated, vestigially trivial conditions.

FYI, my wife has had a damaging ectopic pregnancy early in our relationship, a hysterectomy and a very invasive deep brain operation (resulting in some chronic mental health challenges) in the last 15 years. I have no fear of her presence, more unfailing respect for her invincibility. I doubt I'd feel vicariously offended by jibes aimed at third parties that aligned to her condition.

pommpey

*This may be tongue-in-cheek, you understand

I haven't entered the great pommpey (sorry, don't know how to do the name in red) debate so far, though have followed it for some time not knowing whether to laugh or cry. Something that comes across as important to me in all this is the question: what kind of criticism of players is fair, what is unfair and does it matter anyway?

As you say above, pommps, you are entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else on the forum. For what it's worth, I generally agree with your assessments and am often amused by the colourful way in which you express them, though sometimes they are too coarse for my taste and then don't amuse me. You also say your criticisms of certain players do not descend into personal abuse, which is as it should be, I think. In this regard I think your posts have noticeably changed in recent months, as your previous description of McBurnie as McPub, for example, clearly went beyond a reasonable assessment of the way he played. You hardly need it pointing out that if McBurnie played in any pub team against your local, he'd score at least a hat trick every game, if not far more.

So to come to my point, I think the only fair criticism of players should be on any of the following grounds: a) if they don't play to the best of their ability on the day - if they don't try as hard as they could, in other words; b) if they don't play to the manager's instructions; c) if they don't train as hard as they could and don't follow the staff's instructions in training, under which I would also include not keeping themselves as fit as they should be.

If a player doesn't meet any one of these criteria consistently - and it has to be a period of several games as he could still have the occasional "off day" for a whole variety of reasons that can't be known - then it's fair to say he's not good enough for the current requirements. But that is a different thing from saying a player is "shit" or any other of the insults often heaped on him on this forum (though not by most posters, I must say). It's fair to say such and such a player had a bad game/played poorly on the day, but if that carries on then the blame shifts, in my view, to the manager for continuing to pick him. It's not a player's fault if he's doing his best but isn't good enough.

Does all this matter? As pommpey says, players are unlikely to look at this forum - though some clearly have in the past. But it matters, I think, in that if true fans show fairness in their attitudes towards players and the club in general, it makes the whole wonderful experience of supporting a club like Sheffield United so much the better for everyone.
to do the name in red bit you mention above, key the @ symbol and then the person's name as in darleyblade - this also pings them an alert notification.

Again, not sure how describing a man's behaviour as similar to a medically attributed characteristic to menopausal women shows 'fear'. Contrary to that, I have pity on the whole lumpen 'lot' which a woman faces compare to us on the other side of the gender divide, from birth to grave. The only advantage seem to be having drinks bought for you on occasion*. Everything else seems like a poorly dealt out physiological deck of cards with us holding all the pictures and aces. Menopause? Fuck that. I'll happily hobble about on my arthritic knees and take my chances on other male-orientated, vestigially trivial conditions.

FYI, my wife has had a damaging ectopic pregnancy early in our relationship, a hysterectomy and a very invasive deep brain operation (resulting in some chronic mental health challenges) in the last 15 years. I have no fear of her presence, more unfailing respect for her invincibility. I doubt I'd feel vicariously offended by jibes aimed at third parties that aligned to her condition.

pommpey

*This may be tongue-in-cheek, you understand

I'll join you with the arthritic knees, actually knee as one is now titanium and plastic.

Agree, he is like a volcano erupting whenever I point out his inaccuracies! 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom