My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Watched it from the luxury of my bivvy on the bank of Rush Lake at Coking Farm Fisheries. 0/10 for me fishing wise. Late September feeding switch off with high pressure to blame for most lakes not producing. Cold front sweeps in tomorrow which should see the carp suddenly go into winter feeding mode and catches pick up until the first cold snaps in November.

Have to admit I am very pleased we came away from the Derby game with three points, but again, the two pivot points of the game were on the shoulders of our verteran striker. The rest of it was hard work, even against ten men. The pattern and tempo of play was untidy and unbalanced and I don't think we covered ourselves in glory for most of the game and, truly, could have surrendered two points at the death.

First half I think they matched us and were more in control, despite our expected dominance. Again, with Norwood playing the direction of play whiffed badly of Wilderball with some nice, yet ineffective pings out wide which look great but do fucking nothing. It even encourages less able players like Egan to try that shit to laughable consequences. Unless the ball is at the feet of Ndaiye or MGW, we don't really look like creating a chance on goal which ends with their keeper making an effort to stop it. This is a bit crap, but it's expected when you play the same fucking tactics, and get the ball into a wing area and play it backwards. When we decide to cross it early, like Baldock did, it ends on the head of Sharp. Yep, he should have buried that.

But when Norwood looks toward the centre for an outlet, we do look threatening. This came to pass with their keeper getting sent off, and also with Ndaiye and MGW becoming more involved and threatening, if not a bit easy to dispossess when moving toward the box. When down to ten, Derby simply went 4-4-1 and denied us the opportunities, allowed us to waste time in the crossing zones, and when the cross came in, McBurnie was flailing about behind the central defenders making out he was going for the ball.

The penalty was nailed on and if Billy missed it after last week's effort he was on shaky ground but you know him, he won't let us down.

Olsen 6/10: Not a massive task for him today. Still looks like he is finding his feet, behind a defence still finding it's feet.
Baldock 7/10: Had his hands full with this brother and their winger and dealt with them effectively
Egan 6.5/10: Kept it simple for much of the game. A bit unsighted at key moments, such as the post-hit
Davies 6.5/10: An improved performance than recently
RND 4/10: Bit disappointing. Poor judgement and some miscontrols, and really, he needs to know when to go and when to not.
Fleck 6/10: Decent, if unspectacular. We have had John for a few games now. Just wish we could have the John back from two seasons ago
Norwood 6.5/10: Involved in a few forays forward and of course, hit some nice, if pointless punts out wide which ended up coming backwards
Osborn 7.5/10: Impressed with his 'all across the park' approach. Was seen at one stage feeding the ball in on the right attacking channel then down on the left wing sliding the counterattack out of play ten seconds later. He is busy.
MGW 6/10: He has skill and capability but the rest of the midfield need to read him and understand him to create space or provide one twos for him to get past players and attack
Ndaiye 6/10: An on off day for him where sometimes his endeavour worked, sometimes he was simply dispossessed and left tracking back
Sharp 6.5/10: Loses a whole point for the fifty pee header in the first half but battled and fought and got us both the numerical advantage and then the penalty

Stevens 6/10: Good to see him back and playing better, certainly better than RND. FFS man, knee over the ball
Hourihane 5/10: Surprise subbing for Norwood. Not much input
McBurnie 4/10: Bobbar.

A good, if protracted and hard fought win, when it didn't need to be. But three points is three points, even if it is 6-2 or 1-0.

pommpey

Davies gets a 7.5 and was MOM for me. Great mobility, generally good positioning and his anticipation for one recovery run out to the left to deal with a long ball in the 2nd half was top class. We haven’t yet seen the best of him, he will continue to improve with games and he seems to spread confidence through the defence. Good footballer.

• Banned
Davies gets a 7.5 and was MOM for me. Great mobility, generally good positioning and his anticipation for one recovery run out to the left to deal with a long ball in the 2nd half was top class. We haven’t yet seen the best of him, he will continue to improve with games and he seems to spread confidence through the defence. Good footballer.

Good stuff.

PS. Booking secured at Maggie Mays in March next year. West Street Live were ... let me put it mildly ... difficult to deal with.

Need another booking elsewhere that weekend, if you have any ideas? Looking at Sheffield Lane Top WMC

pommpey

Good stuff.

PS. Booking secured at Maggie Mays in March next year. West Street Live were ... let me put it mildly ... difficult to deal with.

Need another booking elsewhere that weekend, if you have any ideas? Looking at Sheffield Lane Top WMC

pommpey
Ok I’m whooshed. 🤔?

Good stuff.

pommpey
Back Room at greystones fella

Fair assessment. I'd have marked Hourihane up though. Attacked the box well and, ultimately, assisted the goal with another great delivery. He's knocking on the door and it's keeping Norwood & Fleck honest.

Stevens for RND looks a no brainer at this stage.

Baldock - much improved delivery, Norwood - more incisive and quicker passing, Osborn - industrious and bang up for it & Sharp -for the red card and goal, were our best players on the day. All 7/10s max though. Didn't think anybody really excelled.

I really think the team is missing a player with line breaking ability. We did some nice buildup play but it was all in front of Derby and easy for them to defend. Berge, Burke & Bogle offer this. I don't think Burke is a starter in this team, but I think we need to find somewhere for (at least) one of the other two to give us an added dimension.

Back Room at greystones fella

Tried that.

Lovely place, and they've spent big on the room. But you have to hire the room and sell tickets. That's okay if you have Sheffield 'profile' but a tenner a ticket to see an (albeit pretty decent, full PA and extensive lighting system) 80s synthpop tribute band is pushing the boundaries of reality. And you have to hire their engineer, too.

Venues like that piss me off. They take the bar take over your room hire. The people drinking their overpriced ales are the same people you have charged a tenner a ticket for from which you have paid the room hire.

Dutch Door Action, that is.

pommpey

Watched it from the luxury of my bivvy on the bank of Rush Lake at Coking Farm Fisheries. 0/10 for me fishing wise. Late September feeding switch off with high pressure to blame for most lakes not producing. Cold front sweeps in tomorrow which should see the carp suddenly go into winter feeding mode and catches pick up until the first cold snaps in November.

Have to admit I am very pleased we came away from the Derby game with three points, but again, the two pivot points of the game were on the shoulders of our verteran striker. The rest of it was hard work, even against ten men. The pattern and tempo of play was untidy and unbalanced and I don't think we covered ourselves in glory for most of the game and, truly, could have surrendered two points at the death.

First half I think they matched us and were more in control, despite our expected dominance. Again, with Norwood playing the direction of play whiffed badly of Wilderball with some nice, yet ineffective pings out wide which look great but do fucking nothing. It even encourages less able players like Egan to try that shit to laughable consequences. Unless the ball is at the feet of Ndaiye or MGW, we don't really look like creating a chance on goal which ends with their keeper making an effort to stop it. This is a bit crap, but it's expected when you play the same fucking tactics, and get the ball into a wing area and play it backwards. When we decide to cross it early, like Baldock did, it ends on the head of Sharp. Yep, he should have buried that.

But when Norwood looks toward the centre for an outlet, we do look threatening. This came to pass with their keeper getting sent off, and also with Ndaiye and MGW becoming more involved and threatening, if not a bit easy to dispossess when moving toward the box. When down to ten, Derby simply went 4-4-1 and denied us the opportunities, allowed us to waste time in the crossing zones, and when the cross came in, McBurnie was flailing about behind the central defenders making out he was going for the ball.

The penalty was nailed on and if Billy missed it after last week's effort he was on shaky ground but you know him, he won't let us down.

Olsen 6/10: Not a massive task for him today. Still looks like he is finding his feet, behind a defence still finding it's feet.
Baldock 7/10: Had his hands full with this brother and their winger and dealt with them effectively
Egan 6.5/10: Kept it simple for much of the game. A bit unsighted at key moments, such as the post-hit
RND 4/10: Bit disappointing. Poor judgement and some miscontrols, and really, he needs to know when to go and when to not.
Fleck 6/10: Decent, if unspectacular. We have had John for a few games now. Just wish we could have the John back from two seasons ago
Norwood 6.5/10: Involved in a few forays forward and of course, hit some nice, if pointless punts out wide which ended up coming backwards
Osborn 7.5/10: Impressed with his 'all across the park' approach. Was seen at one stage feeding the ball in on the right attacking channel then down on the left wing sliding the counterattack out of play ten seconds later. He is busy.
MGW 6/10: He has skill and capability but the rest of the midfield need to read him and understand him to create space or provide one twos for him to get past players and attack
Ndaiye 6/10: An on off day for him where sometimes his endeavour worked, sometimes he was simply dispossessed and left tracking back
Sharp 6.5/10: Loses a whole point for the fifty pee header in the first half but battled and fought and got us both the numerical advantage and then the penalty

Stevens 6/10: Good to see him back and playing better, certainly better than RND. FFS man, knee over the ball

A good, if protracted and hard fought win, when it didn't need to be. But three points is three points, even if it is 6-2 or 1-0.

pommpey
Nice to see another angler! Usually a good time of year for dangling going into autumn but the warmth recently might not be helping!

I agreed with all that until the Norwood rating! He was the man of the match and his passing was excellent, not pointless. It wasn't his fault that nothing came of it! 😀
The problem is this:

Yes, he can receive, look up and smack the ball with enough backlift to land at the feet of an advancing wingback/fullback. But non of our wingbacks/fullbacks have the potatoes to burst forward past their maker into empty space beyond and toward a penalty area where the opposition defence are frantically backpedalling, two on two. Instead, Norwood's pings usually are not in front of the player but 'at' the player, causing him to stop, control and by that time the opposition have manoeuvred players in to halt their progress. So what happens? Yep, it goes backwards, across the pitch and back to Norwood who clouts it across to the other wing. Rinse and repeat.

We never change the approach and attack 'direct'. MGW and Ndaiye are itching to do this but yesterday in particular, they were quickly intercepted and dispossessed, because no one round them is moving into space and drawing players off them, or simply creating options.

You can only keep doing the same old shit so many times before the opposition intercept this predictable stuff and suddenly you are defending a quick counter. The only time Norwood produces a goal threat is when he goes infield, usually into space where Billy is running (hence the red card, the goal vs Plymouth) Everything else is just fucking showboating, resulting in 'nothing'.

pommpey

Nice to see another angler! Usually a good time of year for dangling going into autumn but the warmth recently might not be helping!

It was tough yesterday. Three different baits in various spots, with little sign of active feeding. Four liners and a few vague bleeps on the Delks. My buddy in an adjacent peg landed an 18:2 mirror though

pommpey

Good stuff.

pommpey
New Barrack Tavern would be a good one & pays well.

Norwood's pings usually are not in front of the player but 'at' the player, causing him to stop, control and by that time the opposition have manoeuvred players in to halt their progress.
We don't have players who can control long high balls whilst bursting forward at speed.

Neither does anyone else in our division.

Didn't see the whole game this week, won't bore you with the reasons why.
I agree with most of the assessment. You see it as I do. Even when Norwood pings with accuracy, it looks good, but where does it get us? We don't have overlapping centre backs anymore. It worked 2 or 3 years ago, not now. Working in the wing area without support, giving the ball to players with poor crossing ability gets you nowhere.
Where we are now is trying to effect a change in style, trying to move to fast, pacy centre based attacking style which gets clogged up against the likes of Derby if we do not move the ball fast enough to the right players. We are not good enough yet, and still drift to Wilder style too much. It will take time, but hopefully Slavisa will find a way. We are not as lost as we were. We have had the rub of the green last couple of games. Onwards and upwards, this is a shit division. Talking of shit, the best comment, yes he is still bobbar! I laughed out loud.

We don't have players who can control long high balls whilst bursting forward at speed.

Neither does anyone else in our division.

So why does Norwood insist on twatting the ball across the park in such a manner?

pommpey

That wasn't the word that sprung to Bert's mind when McBurnie made two very vital defensive headers in the last 5 minutes when it looked like we could have thrown it away again.
See my comments in the new thread about McBurnie. Totally agree about his defensive headers at corners, but Wilder paid millions for him to score goals.

Embarrassing ,ridiculous ,irrelevant ,either that or your fishing gets more than 0/10.

Are you pissed, SItwell?

I thought you weren't bothering with 'My take ... '?

G'wan. Give us a kiss.

pommpey

Tried that.

Lovely place, and they've spent big on the room. But you have to hire the room and sell tickets. That's okay if you have Sheffield 'profile' but a tenner a ticket to see an (albeit pretty decent, full PA and extensive lighting system) 80s synthpop tribute band is pushing the boundaries of reality. And you have to hire their engineer, too.

Venues like that piss me off. They take the bar take over your room hire. The people drinking their overpriced ales are the same people you have charged a tenner a ticket for from which you have paid the room hire.

Dutch Door Action, that is.

pommpey
Get in touch with Steve Goodburn or Darren Gray at Maida Vale, they'll sort you out👍🏻

pommpey
Absolutely spot on

See my comments in the new thread about McBurnie. Totally agree about his defensive headers at corners, but Wilder paid millions for him to score goals.
We might get a buyer for him as a CB but no fucker is gonna pay a fee or his wages as a striker - we are stuck with the useless twat

"All will be revealed"? Is pommpey going to do "The Full Monty"? 🤢
I can't wait to see the Full Pompey.
That's "full" in the sense of a drunken Irishman.
I was born near Sheffield Lane Top and haven't been there in over 40 years , but send me a ticket coz my return seems overdue.

Back
Top Bottom