My Take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
My fucking god. What a fucking embarrassment our team is right now.

Firstly, we now know Ramsdale is gone. He was in front of my nephew tonight on the golf course. Good luck Arsenal. Twenty-cough-million and whatever we pay Bournemouth should give us some revenue to buy at least one player who would play at the requisite level required in this new environment we find ourselves dumped. As for the rest, I despair ...

So we're back to 3-5-2 again with the pedestrian midfield, the suspect back three, the try-hards-but-fails out wide and the barren pair up front. I mean, it's not as though we spent the whole of last season playing that shit and were seriously sexually assaulted up the turd pipe every week, is it? Looking at the defence, from the first long throw in the first few minutes and their disallowed goal they certainly had us in range, and they knew C3PO was having trouble with his jumping. Mind you, all they had to do was draw all three centre backs into a heading scrummage and we were fucking toast. As it stood, the protocol droid did them all a fucking favour and even bounced the ball off his bonce with a clang and it was in our net. R2D2 (Fleck) was somewhere on the edge of the box screaming and bleeping and doing 360s, on fire with electricity and smoke and shit.

But lo, once punched we look to counter punch and Billy lays in Didsy - last seasons top scorer with a blistering nine goals. I mean, aside from the fact that that pass is the first one forward onto a runner in space on goal since ... fucking help me here now ... 'Basham arriving' maybe and he fucking spoons it wide. Old Didsy is back.

But the whole of that first half had that familiar feel about it, didn't it? Tell me I'm wrong - did anyone think, 'we're not gonna score here'. There was nothing ... times nothing squared ... in our gameplay which suggested we were threatening WBA and they simply pressed us back, stopping us before the halfway line and forcing us to turn and pass back. Watching it, Sheffield United looked like a well-drilled team playing 'Attack and Defence' (anyone remember playing that?) where ostensibly we were not allowed by the rules of the game to advance because its played in one goal. We simply get control and pass it backwards and play keep ball, or give up possession.

And in the second half, we simply collapsed like an Afghan regiment.

When it came to anything progressive, such as set pieces, Mr Pointy can be relied upon to fuck the entire venture up with either a weak, lofted cross, or in the last few minutes hit the front man's knees. What does this guy have to do to get dropped and sold? He's been working his fucking ticket now for two solid years. No goals, precious few assists, plenty of fuck ups and stacks of pointing. Is anyone still that deluded to think he is going to be this season's key to our resurgence?

We were fucking drubbed tonight. West Brom were 'OK' but hardly stellar but they simply did the job we used to do some seasons ago ... shamefully with much of this tired, boring and predictable side.

Out of ten, and fuck you if you disagree.

Verrips 1/10: As a debut, it was appalling. He looks more agile than Ramsdale, but technically he's crap.
Baldock 2/10: Frustratingly muzzled and backward looking
Basham 3/10: A few bits and a typical mazy run into a dead end
Egan 3/10: All over the shop at times
Robinson 0/10: Not a Championship level defender
Osborn 3/10: Plenty of hustle and bustle as usual, but fucking nowt much to show for it.
Berge 1/10: Utterly rubbish. Gets one point for a few fleeting runs. Deservedly subbed
Norwood 1/10: Pointy and pointless
Fleck ... was he playing? Okay ... to paraphrase ... 'Mister Blutarsky ... zero ... point ... zero'. Utterly ineffective. Fleck has had it with us now and can go join Lundstram
Sharp 2/10: Got nowt excpt a tackled half chance but did put ...
McGoldrick 2/10: Worst I have seen him play

McBurnie 1/10: Shithousery and pubby aggression
Burke 1/10: Aimless. pointless and talentless
Freeman 4/10: Seemed to want to get involved

SJ: 1/10: I hope this shows you what you've inherited and how fucking wrong the Wilder evangelists now are. Your job now is to stoop, pick up the wreckage, throw away the shit and build a credible footballing side from the remainder

And if any of the players are reading this, there's only Basham and Sharp in that side who know what a dissatisfied Bramall Lane sounds like. Ask them what it will be like if Huddersfield turn us over like that.

You have been warned

pommpey

Marks are a bit fucking high 😂😂

Guess slav thought fuck it, let's see how they play with 3 at back. They answered him well.

At least we know why Verrip's couldn't get near the side now. Before the game I thought great, big 6'5 giant. Should nullify the long throw and claim everything 😂. How wrong could I be?

Dear Lord.

Time for Slav to steady the ship and return to a back 5 and a system the lads know. At least we won’t be shipping four each week. Get some stability and then make gradual changes. That said, all the creativity and proven talent at this level needs to be on the field on Saturday: Brewster, McBurnie, Freeman and Bogle.

The only way is up. UTB!

Just got back and I think you have been far to kind, that is the worst I have seen us play away ever, they should have had 6 or 7. Only one worse result away and that was 42 years ago.

On the plus side, away tickets will be easy to get and glad I have retired from the kop, as if we are that bad on Saturday there will be carnage on there. I would not take any young uns. It was that fucking bad.

Entirely agree about Fleck. He seems to be following Lundstram's exit strategy. If so Mr Jukanovic needs to remove him immedately. The entire team except possibly Freeman - who looked to be able to beat a man but should sharpen up the linking with other players - assuming that another "player" in R & W stripes can anticipate the pass. I thought tonight's display showed a team that has no belief in the tactics; no confidence & therefore no fight. WBA bullied us physically from the off.

I put that away day trip in the special box !! Parking a nightmare …. ☑️…£5 a can of carling in the away end…☑️….team sheet questioning ☑️….totally spineless performance from them all☑️ .

It goes it that special box of blade shitness !

I think the summary is spot on if not a little generous. We need at least 6 new faces in and quickly. The old pals act that we have been for the last 18 months stops now or Slav will be in trouble. Ring the changes now please and can someone find 11 hearts to put in players with red and white on !

My fucking god. What a fucking embarrassment our team is right now.

Firstly, we now know Ramsdale is gone. He was in front of my nephew tonight on the golf course. Good luck Arsenal. Twenty-cough-million and whatever we pay Bournemouth should give us some revenue to buy at least one player who would play at the requisite level required in this new environment we find ourselves dumped. As for the rest, I despair ...

So we're back to 3-5-2 again with the pedestrian midfield, the suspect back three, the try-hards-but-fails out wide and the barren pair up front. I mean, it's not as though we spent the whole of last season playing that shit and were seriously sexually assaulted up the turd pipe every week, is it? Looking at the defence, from the first long throw in the first few minutes and their disallowed goal they certainly had us in range, and they knew C3PO was having trouble with his jumping. Mind you, all they had to do was draw all three centre backs into a heading scrummage and we were fucking toast. As it stood, the protocol droid did them all a fucking favour and even bounced the ball off his bonce with a clang and it was in our net. R2D2 (Fleck) was somewhere on the edge of the box screaming and bleeping and doing 360s, on fire with electricity and smoke and shit.

But lo, once punched we look to counter punch and Billy lays in Didsy - last seasons top scorer with a blistering nine goals. I mean, aside from the fact that that pass is the first one forward onto a runner in space on goal since ... fucking help me here now ... 'Basham arriving' maybe and he fucking spoons it wide. Old Didsy is back.

But the whole of that first half had that familiar feel about it, didn't it? Tell me I'm wrong - did anyone think, 'we're not gonna score here'. There was nothing ... times nothing squared ... in our gameplay which suggested we were threatening WBA and they simply pressed us back, stopping us before the halfway line and forcing us to turn and pass back. Watching it, Sheffield United looked like a well-drilled team playing 'Attack and Defence' (anyone remember playing that?) where ostensibly we were not allowed by the rules of the game to advance because its played in one goal. We simply get control and pass it backwards and play keep ball, or give up possession.

And in the second half, we simply collapsed like an Afghan regiment.

When it came to anything progressive, such as set pieces, Mr Pointy can be relied upon to fuck the entire venture up with either a weak, lofted cross, or in the last few minutes hit the front man's knees. What does this guy have to do to get dropped and sold? He's been working his fucking ticket now for two solid years. No goals, precious few assists, plenty of fuck ups and stacks of pointing. Is anyone still that deluded to think he is going to be this season's key to our resurgence?

We were fucking drubbed tonight. West Brom were 'OK' but hardly stellar but they simply did the job we used to do some seasons ago ... shamefully with much of this tired, boring and predictable side.

Out of ten, and fuck you if you disagree.

Verrips 1/10: As a debut, it was appalling. He looks more agile than Ramsdale, but technically he's crap.
Baldock 2/10: Frustratingly muzzled and backward looking
Basham 3/10: A few bits and a typical mazy run into a dead end
Egan 3/10: All over the shop at times
Robinson 0/10: Not a Championship level defender
Osborn 3/10: Plenty of hustle and bustle as usual, but fucking nowt much to show for it.
Berge 1/10: Utterly rubbish. Gets one point for a few fleeting runs. Deservedly subbed
Norwood 1/10: Pointy and pointless
Fleck ... was he playing? Okay ... to paraphrase ... 'Mister Blutarsky ... zero ... point ... zero'. Utterly ineffective. Fleck has had it with us now and can go join Lundstram
Sharp 2/10: Got nowt excpt a tackled half chance but did put ...
McGoldrick 2/10: Worst I have seen him play

McBurnie 1/10: Shithousery and pubby aggression
Burke 1/10: Aimless. pointless and talentless
Freeman 4/10: Seemed to want to get involved

SJ: 1/10: I hope this shows you what you've inherited and how fucking wrong the Wilder evangelists now are. Your job now is to stoop, pick up the wreckage, throw away the shit and build a credible footballing side from the remainder

And if any of the players are reading this, there's only Basham and Sharp in that side who know what a dissatisfied Bramall Lane sounds like. Ask them what it will be like if Huddersfield turn us over like that.

You have been warned

pommpey
Well I fundamentally disagree with the at least one of the marks given i don’t care about your warnings… but COME ON……

..giving Verrips as high a mark as 1… is a total disgrace.

Posted earlier in another thread, but more appropriate here, and with complete agreement to Pommpey.

To me it seems we have a complete misfit of manager and players. WAK had a method, a belief. They converted mediocre players into a unit that believed in itself. They fought, they harried, they were fit, they would die for each other. They passed to each other like Barca players. They had a system that worried the opposition, whoever they played. The expression used was that the result was a team that that was much greater than the sum of its individual parts. It is blatantly obvious that Slava has not recognised this. He thinks he inherited a squad of Premier league players and that they can play to a new system. Communication between manager and players has broken down. Result, an abject meltdown. Either Slava realises he cannot use these players in a new system and let's them play as they used to, to gain some confidence and some valuable points, then he can rebuild for the longer term. Or we will sink to the depths of league one with a squad of overpaid, overweight, unfit mediocre players, collecting big wages for little effort. At the moment the future is bleak. WAK's lack of experience in fast, attacking football has left us weak in a number of areas. Wilder was a defender, and excluding a few games, our defence was our strength. His transfer knowledge showed his lack of ability in finding classy attacking options, from midfielders or attackers. £100m spunked on wannabes or maybes. Sorry for the diatribe, just the way I see it. Pashun has left the building. I thank WAK for the good times, I despair at their legacy.

I think that's part of the problem, some saw it as 352, others 433 or 442. Whatever it was, it was a fucking mess.
Yeah, the problem was we couldn't play through the press, never really got behind their high line.. when we were forced to go long, we gave it them straight back, and we couldn't match them physically got bullied..I thought Freeman did ok, but agree it was a fucking mess..Mcg should have made it 1-1,his finishing is poo.. and that long throw, we hadn't a clue on how to deal with it.

Yeah, the problem was we couldn't play through the press, never really got behind their high line.. when we were forced to go long, we gave it them straight back, and we couldn't match them physically got bullied..I thought Freeman did ok, but agree it was a fucking mess..Mcg should have made it 1-1,his finishing is poo.. and that long throw, we hadn't a clue on how to deal with it.
Yeah, it was quite laughable how we couldn't get past that high press and resulted in hoofing it up to Sharp. It's been a problem for awhile that we have so few players that are any good in the air. Only Bash and Berge have the height and I don't think I've ever seen Berge head the ball. Which leaves only Bash and Egan (who isn't the tallest) to deal with everything.

Freeman was the only player who looked like he gave a shit.

Posted earlier in another thread, but more appropriate here, and with complete agreement to Pommpey.

To me it seems we have a complete misfit of manager and players. WAK had a method, a belief. They converted mediocre players into a unit that believed in itself. They fought, they harried, they were fit, they would die for each other. They passed to each other like Barca players. They had a system that worried the opposition, whoever they played. The expression used was that the result was a team that that was much greater than the sum of its individual parts. It is blatantly obvious that Slava has not recognised this. He thinks he inherited a squad of Premier league players and that they can play to a new system. Communication between manager and players has broken down. Result, an abject meltdown. Either Slava realises he cannot use these players in a new system and let's them play as they used to, to gain some confidence and some valuable points, then he can rebuild for the longer term. Or we will sink to the depths of league one with a squad of overpaid, overweight, unfit mediocre players, collecting big wages for little effort. At the moment the future is bleak. WAK's lack of experience in fast, attacking football has left us weak in a number of areas. Wilder was a defender, and excluding a few games, our defence was our strength. His transfer knowledge showed his lack of ability in finding classy attacking options, from midfielders or attackers. £100m spunked on wannabes or maybes. Sorry for the diatribe, just the way I see it. Pashun has left the building. I thank WAK for the good times, I despair at their legacy.
Every new system/formation that gives a team an edge only gives that advantage for about 3 seasons before it gets understood and counteracted by opposing teams. So then you are left with teams competing on players technical ability and their collective passion.
So the formation advantage we had is gone.

The other issue before getting into the players ability is momentum. Going well winning games breeds confidence and resilience. We lost our momentum in the first lock down and the confidence is shot.

Now add to that the aging McGoldrick and Sharp. The ineffective Mousset Burke Brewster McBurnie. The loss of form of Fleck and Norwood. In a side that was never the most creative. That has meant no regeneration in the last 2 seasons who has come in and nailed a place down?. Berge?....talented at times but over rated.

And finally add in a manager who hasn't yet been backed with new additions. A manager who also seems to be obsessed with possession based football. But at the wrong end of the field. That's a recipe for disaster.

Too Disjointed. Too much Deadwood. Too much money wasted. It's going to take months to get this team into some form of competitive shape.
But it is also possible we could struggle for the season.

Dear Lord.

Time for Slav to steady the ship and return to a back 5 and a system the lads know. At least we won’t be shipping four each week. Get some stability and then make gradual changes. That said, all the creativity and proven talent at this level needs to be on the field on Saturday: Brewster, McBurnie, Freeman and Bogle.

The only way is up. UTB!
Fair point on the system it maybe the way to steady the ship. But creativity and proven talent???....any of the 4 have done fuck all since the joined. (Maybe harsh on Bogle there).
I have no problem giving them ago at the weekend and see how they do it's the creative and proven I can't agree with.

Yeah, it was quite laughable how we couldn't get past that high press and resulted in hoofing it up to Sharp. It's been a problem for awhile that we have so few players that are any good in the air. Only Bash and Berge have the height and I don't think I've ever seen Berge head the ball. Which leaves only Bash and Egan (who isn't the tallest) to deal with everything.

Freeman was the only player who looked like he gave a shit.
At 6'5" he would be ideal to stick in there defending the long throw, but he's not good at heading.

pommpey - I think you have been kind and generous in your comments and marking. Truly embarrassed by that performance if you could call it that. There is so much to be done before the window closes, if not, I genuinely fear for us this season after witnessing the shambles and lack of fight from our team last night.

Hats off to our magnificent supporters who went last night - Princey, do the honourable thing and give them their ticket money back, deduct it from the so called players wages.

Well I can't remember the last time I saw such a piss poor performance from a United team maybe you have to go back to pre Clough days I dunno, even the Adkins clowns had more about them than this shower of shit. When I heard the line up pre match I predicted Wilderball and I wasn't wrong, seems to me like Slav hasn't got a clue how to get this set of misfits playing football so decided to play Wilders old 3-5-2 line up and style to see if that would show an improvement. It was a 3-5-2 wasn't it not a 4-3-3 or 4-4-2? I know it was hard to tell as from the 1st minute we were all over the shop in every department and you knew it was going to be a long night when Robinson scuffed the ball in only for it to be ruled offside. What came after that I'm struggling for words to describe what I saw so may as well give my ratings.
Verrips 1 Now I can see why he hasn't had more than a few cup outings at 6"5' he should be collecting any long throw into the six yard box but he got near nothing last night it was like someone's little brother who you stick in the goal so he can have a game with the bigger boys on the park.
Baldock 2 didn't do much and looks a frustrated figure shot of any confidence.
Basham 2 another one who looks lost and was far too easily bullied
Egan 2 see above
Robinson 0 this cunt would be more use sat inside the label of a jam jar (the older posters will know what I mean) never been a championship defender, for the first time in a while he gets his head on the ball but directs it into the corner of his own net fucking marvellous.
Osborn 2 can't fault the lads effort he just isn't very good at least unlike Baldock he does try to move in the general direction of forwards now and then.
Berge 0 Time to cash in me thinks before his worth drops any more, yes he has bags of talent but is as soft as the next shit after a gallon of Wards and a dodgy Vindaloo. Maybe he should have chosen to play basketball like his brother no contact in basketball is there.
Norwood 1 Says it all when this bloke is our best midfielder, he get one for making a tackle
Fleck 0 nothing to say other than get rid. Not sure if the guy has a drink problem but he certainly plays like he is pissed up WTF happened to him? This seasons Lundstram, maybe he sees it as a way to join Rangers.
Sharp 2 set up our best chance but fielding high balls out of defence against centre back a foot taller is not his game, it wasn't when he was young, at 35 he has no chance.
McGoldrick 0 our one shining light last season but it is beginning to look like like that was his Indian summer and time is catching up with him, criminal miss after Sharp put him in.

Subs
Freeman 5 did more in his 10mins than Fleck has done all season the only midfielder to beat a man and move forwards.
McBurnie 4 didn't give the ball away won headers and set up a chance for Egan late on the bring the first save out of Johnson all night loses a point for giving away free kicks letting a defender know you are around is really a waste of time in the last 10mins of a game maybe it is a bit of frustration.
Burke 0 got on the ball once and set off running sadly the advertising signs round the edge of the pitch made a great tackle. WTF was Wilder thinking when he swapped this clown for Callum Robinson?

Jokanovic 1 I hope this was a last throw of the dice to see if there is anything of this team worth saving and not the fact that he hasn't a clue how to get this team to function, very worrying just now. I would understand it if he picks the U23's for the next game after that shit show I doubt they could do much worse.

Foot note I have been generous in my markings but only to show some played better than others most of that team deserved to be marked with a zero.

Back
Top Bottom