My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Well Wilderball that most certainly was not! From the off we were fucking awful. Egan to Robinson, to Egan, to Robinson, to a motionless midfielder, to Egan, to Robinson...... repeat to fade. Shite stuff, and that was probably the easiest game Birmingham will have all season. All they had to do was concentrate and wait patiently for us to make the inevitable fuck up. It reminded me of the early Robson days............ so much hope and anticipation at the new season ahead and a Blades side ready to rip the Championship a new'un. We all know how that turned out don't we. What pisses me off even more is I'm getting to the age where time isn't on my side lol - looks like it's going to be close but no cigar for the rest of my days.

Hey ho, it's the hope that kills you. After last night I'm not sure the hope will last that long and I can readjust my mental state back to being excited about the beer, curry and adventure with mi muckers - with the game just being a 90 minutes distraction again. Win or lose we'll have some booze, if we draw we'll have some more - it's the Blades way!

Well, that was a great evening, wasn't it?

All those fans, in BDTBL, and the loudest rendition of GCB I have ever heard, and still we are seriously sub optimal, with several tens of millions of pounds of players on the teamsheet. If anything it was confirmation of my previous posts that if we play as we have, we'll get what we get. We consistently failed to get chances on goal, we faffed endlessly realigning across the back with the ball, we gave the ball to Norwood to pump it diagonal into 'nothing' and we failed to get a single effective shot the keeper had to save. Tell me, my detractors. What has changed since last season? Oh yes, we ditched our errant midfield turd and we obtained a new manager, who must be in the dressing room as I speak glowering menacingly at certain players who simply didn't fucking deliver tonight. I don't really want to hear 'it's early days' and 'we shoulda had penalties'. They are excuses, not reasons a developing, pretty average Birmingham City beat us tonight. What they did do is watch last seasons videos and plan accordingly. Be patient, allow us possession and close down options. It's not fucking rocket science to beat Sheffield United now, today, as we speak. Just press the player in possession, make them track back, push them to a game of pissing about across the pitch and the game is won. The only outlet for us is, and was tonight, the hollywood diagonal for runner or the rare speculative Baldock break through. All distanced shots were piss poor, no one gambled on the ball across the box. We were there to be beaten tonight. Once we had the fist chin shot, we were staggering about the ring swinging at fresh air.

Okay, small flashes of capability show. Berge and McGoldrick vie for a begrudging man of the match for us but that doesn't cover for the rest of the team who look disorganised and clueless. There's no meaningful movement, balls forward are predictably speculative and when we look like advancing and threatening, the end result is laughably shit. To have a fairly full BDTBL silenced and out sung by the BLLT is shameful, but I can't blame Unitedites for any of that. The team played fucking crap tonight - almost Adkins-level crap - and the fans pouring out at the end was understandable.

We are on zero points now, joint bottom with many other teams. On paper, we should have beaten Birmingham tonight but on grass we were really found wanting. Slav needs to get his scalpel out and cut the malignancy out of the team, get some quality in to get our momentum going. Leaving Basham out was a critical mistake, and having a limited pre-season is a shit excuse.

Ramsdale 5/10: He didn't have much to do, however his positioning for Colin's header and his feet and dive was characteristically shit
Baldock 5/10: Looks like he's struggling a bit and Chong was giving him a reyt run out.
Egan 5/10: Again, doing the centrebacking all on his own. However he doesn't look sharp. Good block early doors
Robinson: 3/10: I have no idea why Slav is playing him, apart from he has a left foot he can apparently use. He looked decidedly vulnerable tonight against Hogan and Jutkewitz
Osborn 4/10: Not a great match for him. Yep, he thrashes about and gets stuck in., but the outcome is mostly poor. Good cross at the end which everyone fucking missed, sadly but that was it really. Like Baldock, loads of goes forward, drags it back horseshit. Can't shoot at goal for toffee. What the fuck he was doing for their goal was anyone's guess
Berge 6/10: There are vast holes in that ninety minutes where you possibly think Berge has fucked off for a shit, and is sat looking at TikTok in trap four in the changing room. Then he's finished, pulls up his shorts, comes back on and gets on the ball and because no one is available he drops a shoulder and ghosts past two opposition players and is moving forward purposefully eventually into a brick wall or has to haul it back and give it to ...
Norwood 2/10: Look. You know what I am going to say. I have said it enough times but what I will say is this: Sheffield United won't progress with this dickhead in the side. He gets his two, and only just two, for his speculative kick at goal and a couple of long balls which went near our players a couple of times.
Fleck 3/10: I did hope John was playing tonight and certainly he made that great tackle in the first half. But the second half he was anonymous. When we signed him from Coventry we were all 'Oh, who the fuck is this? Even some of their supporters say he's shit!' Well, he's going back there, PDQ. Please tell me we don't have to look hard for the glimmers of what we once saw two long seasons ago.
Burke 3/10: Cor, can he run! Shit, can he not play football. He gets his three for the post hit, which if anything was possibly a miskick.
McGoldrick 6/10: Again, the only player who seems to get 'football' out there and try his best to create, harass and do something positive to appear like we might have a plan
Mousset 1/10: Injured again. As the commentators say, has never finished 90 minutes in his time in the UK and didn't disappoint. Anyone who said 'he's up for it' needs to gargle Fairy Liquid

Brewster 4/10: and early foray forward which got me out of my seat and then ... business as usual. Static, in the wrong place and for a striker, incredibly unclinical
Sharp unmarked. No chance to have an effect
McBurnie unmarked, but for fuck's sake man, get and stay in the box. Mixing it up outside just lets the players you should be terrorising off the hook

Birmingham had a fairly bruise-free encounter tonight and yes, their chants of 'Premier League, you're having a laugh' should ring in our players ears, We were playing PL football a short time ago and they are still on big paying contracts. It is inexcusable for anyone to defend tonight's match with bullshit smelling like 'no preseason', 'early days for Slav' and 'the ref was a cunt'. We played predictable, beatable football again under a new manager. The players who can't play any other way should be shipped out and we need Slav to shape a side who first of all has something different that doesn't involve Norwood's limited talents and secondly has the strikers punishing defences and executing their chances.

I expected a win tonight, and so did everyone else. Continue with this shite and we are in trouble. Next kick off I expect to see a lot of changes, both in system and style and also the players. Leaving Basham out for example - our only player who doesn't stop and go backwards when an opposition player fronts up and can beat a player with pace and skill like Berge can (when he's arsed) is a fucking crime.

pommpey
We may differ on the use of language and often differ on the content, but you are spot on with the summing up of that performance.

Well Wilderball that most certainly was not! From the off we were fucking awful. Egan to Robinson, to Egan, to Robinson, to a motionless midfielder, to Egan, to Robinson...... repeat to fade. Shite stuff, and that was probably the easiest game Birmingham will have all season. All they had to do was concentrate and wait patiently for us to make the inevitable fuck up. It reminded me of the early Robson days............ so much hope and anticipation at the new season ahead and a Blades side ready to rip the Championship a new'un. We all know how that turned out don't we. What pisses me off even more is I'm getting to the age where time isn't on my side lol - looks like it's going to be close but no cigar for the rest of my days.

Hey ho, it's the hope that kills you. After last night I'm not sure the hope will last that long and I can readjust my mental state back to being excited about the beer, curry and adventure with mi muckers - with the game just being a 90 minutes distraction again. Win or lose we'll have some booze, if we draw we'll have some more - it's the Blades way!

I dunno about 'Wilderball'.

The DNA is still there. The passing it across the back to feed up the wings. The reluctance to move through the middle of the park. The absence of killer passes and short balls into the feet of runners going past players. Norwood picking the ball up from the centrebacks and either twatting about playing keepball deep in our half or thinking Enda or George are creeping up unmarked on the touchline. Fleck also seems to be still missing Coutts and Duffy for some reason to be anything near effective (and what the fuck he was doing on the right is anyone's guess) Finally, many of our goals under Wilder did come from out wide and teams now are simply putting quicksand out there for us to get bogged down in and know it is programmed into us that this is the only way we can get it into the danger zone. The three times we did, Fleck's blocked shot and Sicknote's unanswered cross-shot in the first half and Osborn's cross which missed three red and white shirts is Wilderball playing with players who aren't playing Wilderball. Three seasons ago, either Billy, Leon, K Freeman, Duffy or Stevens would be executing those either from close in or drifting in on the back stick. Last night? Fucking clueless.

So I don't think Wilderball is out of our bloodstream and it won't be until we ditch Norwood, make the judgement call that Robinson, Fleck, Burke, and Osborn are not good enough even for this level, the strikers need service, We need to accept that the ten million on a dismally shit striker like Mousset was a sunk-cost gamble which failed and start using McBurnie as a target man, McGoldrick as a central talisman and Brewster/Jebbison as the runners. We also need to sell Berge ... I don't think the speculation is helping the team or him as a player ... and use the funds to buy a more agile set of midfielders who don't rely on a single, predictable playing narrative and can beat opposition players with pace and skill and can use the central areas like Coutts/Fleck/Duffy used to.

pommpey

Last edited:

The DNA is still there.

Completely agree. It looked like they were asked to play a type of possession football but in the end a kind of Pavlovian response took over and there would be the attempted wide ping and overload.

Norwood should be put out to pasture. He should definitely try coaching, his pointing is absolutely first class.

Still quite dazed and confused by the system. Thought Norwood was alright it's not his fault Baldock and Burke had no end product at all. He did put them in some good positions. Someone needs to piss Berge off because he should be dominating games every week at this level but only seems to want to go on a few runs a game. Starting with Burke and Mousset wasn't great but not many options with injuries. I'd start sharp and brewster if they're fit enough next game. Robinson and Osborn for me are steady back ups. They had an age at times out wide to find the cross and then won a lot more than us once it went in. Not sure if that's the full backs not being used to a back 4 but it was poor. Going to have to get a lot better but might take a while. The lack of pre-season is a reason rather than excuse that we'll start slow I think. Definitely needs to find a place for Basham

So that's your first post! Please make it your last and learn to express yourself without swearing. Classless
I’m just following the tone and language of the person that I’m commenting towards. I think if you read a lot of what the chap says you will find that’s the kind of language used.

Maybe a tad harsh, but then I feel the review of all the lads on that pitch are generally a tad harsh too. But for those offended by the language I used I apologise. Hopefully some good times ahead for the Blades. UTB

It was a tough watch, I sulked all night and on reflection the morning after, it's hard to disagree with much of that report Pommpey.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why we STILL haven't signed a CAM and a strong left sided centre back?
Didzy tried his best in the CAM role, but looked lost all night and apart from one shot, looked like he wore two left boots! I think 6 was generous. Didzy is not the person for that role for me. We desperately need someone with composure signed, an expert in this position if this is the system Slav will play. Completely overlooked selecting Freezy from the bench?

Burke, well just put 50p in him and he'll sprint forward until it goes out for their goalkick. Must pass to a player in red and white....

As for LCB, dear oh dear, we look so vulnerable and are lucky they missed a sitter and fouled us for the disallowed goal - or the scoreline would've been much worse.
Our general defending of crosses and winning second balls was unforgivable, we're desperate for a JOC replacement (how long do we have to repeat this). But picking Robbo over Bash? Never again please - even if he's right foot dominant.

Berge was stand out, but how long is he gonna stick around for, when we perform like that and PL/Euro opportunities are on the horizon?

I'm def not Oli Norwoods biggest fan, but I think he did marginally better than your mark (!) At least he tried to play forward passes (unlike some) and create with his 'quarterback style' punts to the wings.

I think Slav may need those 5 signings he alluded to, otherwise the inherited Wilder team may make v hard work of this season....

UTB

I expected a win tonight, and so did everyone else.

This is the line I'd disagree with in the report. I was unable to tune in until 15 minutes in as there was no signal in the establishment I was at. Stepped outside to get a signal, saw Burke on the pitch and Osborn struggling, and returned to the bar. Was not in the least surprised to see nothing had changed when I stepped outside again just before half time and then made a poor decision to watch the second half.

Disappointing, but not unexpected.

Furthermore - here's a controversial opinion.

Is Sander Berge actually that good? Or is he an exceptional player in a team replete with mediocrity? If Arsenal were to sign him, would he not be an expensive acquisition for them who would have limited outcomes and wouldn't set each game on fire? All he does for us is 'feature'. He isn't the architect of much product and other players don't read him or combine to get a result. And he isn't a physical player at all. Again, last night he was seemingly reluctant to get an aerial challenge in and do the percentage stuff in the tackle which other midfield battlers tend to do to impose and dominate. I think one of the reasons he wasn't stolen off us at any price is that he is a 'good' player in a failing team, rather than an 'effective and excellent' player in a strong, capable team.

I do think many Blades supporters put too high a value on Berge in output and cost and need to look exactly what he does to showcase such supposed mastery.

pommpey

Same old laboured effort as last year, desperately in need of freshening up.

Go out and get Hourihane for starters.

Same problem as last year, cannot create enough chances or score goals.

Frustrating over passing in the final third and diabolical long efforts.

I like the idea of having a fast player run into the channels and turn the defence but not two and I was amazed he chose them as the starting strikers with what he had on the bench. Perhaps that is the result of a limited pre-season.

Birmingham should have had more. Only credit I can give the ref is for adding on the appropriate amount of time at the end.

Late Saturday night slot on Sky is crap, don’t want to watch football at this time. Anyone know if the SUTV commentary is Radio Sheffield? Don’t think I can listen to Sky commentators much longer again this season.

I’m just following the tone and language of the person that I’m commenting towards. I think if you read a lot of what the chap says you will find that’s the kind of language used.

Maybe a tad harsh, but then I feel the review of all the lads on that pitch are generally a tad harsh too. But for those offended by the language I used I apologise. Hopefully some good times ahead for the Blades. UTB

So I attack the players for a dismal performance and you attack me.

Enjoy your ban.

pommpey

Is Sander Berge actually that good? Or is he an exceptional player in a team replete with mediocrity? If Arsenal were to sign him, would he not be an expensive acquisition for them who would have limited outcomes and wouldn't set each game on fire? All he does for us is 'feature'. He isn't the architect of much product and other players don't read him or combine to get a result. And he isn't a physical player at all. Again, last night he was seemingly reluctant to get an aerial challenge in and do the percentage stuff in the tackle which other midfield battlers tend to do to impose and dominate. I think one of the reasons he wasn't stolen off us at any price is that he is a 'good' player in a failing team, rather than an 'effective and excellent' player in a strong, capable team.

I do think many Blades supporters put too high a value on Berge in output and cost and need to look exactly what he does to showcase such supposed mastery.

pommpey
Some people seem to think he's the 2nd coming of Maradona.,I don't.
People saying shit like Rolls Royce of a player ...
Don't get that either
Hes not really shown he's worth the money we paid never mind 35 million .

pommpey
You raise a point worthy of discussion...

With the ball at his feet last night he looked strong and threatening - he'd be welcome in most teams for that ability.
But for corners (and standing at 6'4-ish) why is he not in the box? Not a physical performance last night as such, but still a young lad with an enormous amount of skill, strength and ability - and importantly, only just returning from a season long injury.
That part of his game will develop with confidence - I'm positive.

So I attack the players for a dismal performance and you attack me.

Enjoy your ban.

pommpey
The performance wasn’t dismal in my opinion.

It didn’t live up to expectation after being away from the Lane for so long but we havn’t had much of a pre season either.

Onwards and hopefully upwards, If that performance is the same level half a dozen games on then I’ll start to worry.

Enjoy your Sunday. UTB

pommpey

I've never really got it. A few driving runs aside, talk of £30m+ is utterly batshit.

The performance wasn’t dismal in my opinion.

It didn’t live up to expectation after being away from the Lane for so long but we havn’t had much of a pre season either.

Onwards and hopefully upwards, If that performance is the same level half a dozen games on then I’ll start to worry.

Enjoy your Sunday. UTB

Ah, I'm glad you have decided to contribute.

There was a match last night and your comments about it are appreciated.

Maybe you understand what this forum is about.

pommpey

Can't disagree an I seen Didzy an Robinson in kettle black after game an asked them do they think that fucking performance was acceptable because for me it was embarrassing absolute joke. I told Didzy that idiot up top who's legs move to fast for his brain is a fraud, he agreed an we didn't even had to mention his name.

The DNA is still there. The passing it across the back to feed up the wings. The reluctance to move through the middle of the park. The absence of killer passes and short balls into the feet of runners going past players. Norwood picking the ball up from the centrebacks and either twatting about playing keepball deep in our half or thinking Enda or George are creeping up unmarked on the touchline. Fleck also seems to be still missing Coutts and Duffy for some reason to be anything near effective (and what the fuck he was doing on the right is anyone's guess) Finally, many of our goals under Wilder did come from out wide and teams now are simply putting quicksand out there for us to get bogged down in and know it is programmed into us that this is the only way we can get it into the danger zone. The three times we did, Fleck's blocked shot and Sicknote's unanswered cross-shot in the first half and Osborn's cross which missed three red and white shirts is Wilderball playing with players who aren't playing Wilderball. Three seasons ago, either Billy, Leon, K Freeman, Duffy or Stevens would be executing those either from close in or drifting in on the back stick. Last night? Fucking clueless.

So I don't think Wilderball is out of our bloodstream and it won't be until we ditch Norwood, make the judgement call that Robinson, Fleck, Burke, and Osborn are not good enough even for this level, the strikers need service, We need to accept that the ten million on a dismally shit striker like Mousset was a sunk-cost gamble which failed and start using McBurnie as a target man, McGoldrick as a central talisman and Brewster/Jebbison as the runners. We also need to sell Berge ... I don't think the speculation is helping the team or him as a player ... and use the funds to buy a more agile set of midfielders who don't rely on a single, predictable playing narrative and can beat opposition players with pace and skill and can use the central areas like Coutts/Fleck/Duffy used to.

pommpey
Yep, fair points.

I look at Wilderball over the 5 seasons that he was here though. It turned out shit in the end, but nothing like the complete pile of dog shit we had before he started. I suppose it's like a night of cards - I'm sure you've had a fair few of those nights in the Navy! 5 games played..... the first you won, the 2nd yep ok, just about broke even. 3rd, boy did you win - big time. Loads of moneeeey! 4th omg, you've done it again - give me the money boys. 5th well there you go, you played the same hand and tactics as before but they called your bluff and ultimately you lost - and lost big. So you walk away from the table, access where you are and look to play a different game. But when you count your money you are well up on the night!

It will take time, but last night was shockingly bad. I hope Jokanovic can do it - of course I fucking do! But watching the Egan to Robinson, to Egan, to Robinson, to ...... well you know, does not inspire me with any confidence.

Anyway as I said, it won't take too long before the actual game is very much secondary for me - I suppose, it's easier to cope with that way too. Back to the days of thinking ................. this is fucking brill, having a great time, but grrrrrrrrr its 5 to 3, ffs, time for a couple of hours of suffering 😬

My take is pre season planning was a shambles, we needed the squad freshening up but haven't done a thing so far and it all told last night. Big rebuild job needed and I suspect a number of transfer windows may be required.
Is Slava the man I hope so but playing Burke and Moose and that formation with Ozzy at left back had me shaking my head.

Ref didn't help. Refused us 2 penalties. We'd have won it 2 1 so the ref is definitely to blame. Some of our lads worked really hard in that rain.
You mean the one where Berge threw himself to the ground, and the one that hit their player who was about two yards away?

Let's not make excuses it was the same team as last season not a bunch of newcomers thrown together although that's how it looked. Best player on the field by a mile Sander Berge followed by Didzy the rest pretty damn shite. A defence that was all over the place even against average Championship strikers any one notice the goal came like so many last season our LCB gets under the cross leaving the left back one on one with a bigger player, although Ramsdale should be doing better the header wasn't just inside the post.
Midfield seems to be just one man Sander Berge, Norwood and Fleck were utter shit.
Up front Moose injured again (what a surprise) Brewster weak as piss and soon went to his default setting of tripping over his bottom lip. Burke a couple of shots but everything else he ran out of play
Ramsdale 5
Baldock 5
Egan 5
Robinson 3 looked weak and is a proper bomb scare much like Claude Davis was.
Osborn 3 Just WTF was he doing for their goal caught in two mind leaving their player a free header can't beat a man every pass was a back pass
Berge 7 a class above the rest 4 Brum players booked for fouls on him
Norwood 2 for his two pings across field, the sum total of his night.
Fleck 1 anonymous most of the game.
Burke 2 for his two shots everything else he ran out of play, pitches are around 107 yards long you dumb cunt
Mousset 3 injured again, lets face it he is never going to amount to anything.
Didzy 6

Subs
Brewster 3 A half decent early run but god he is weak and easy outmuscled, after that back to type making runs into the wrong places and tripping over his bottom lip £23m Phuck me Wilder
Sharp 4 never got into the game
McBurnie 6 one or two decent touches but played out on the right, he is a big bugger good in the air he needs to be in front of goal.

Slav 6 Made changes but they had little effect, if he didn't know it before then he should now he has a hell of a job on his hands to turn this shower of shit around. Not sure if this is how he wants us to play looked a lot like Wilderball to me out wide to the full backs who hardly ever take anyone one just turn and pass back knock it from one side of the field to the other rinse and repeat boring as fuck.

Referee 4 a bit of a tosser.

On this display against a very average Birmingham it is going to be a long hard season, we desperately need a replacement for Robinson and need to replace Norwood and Fleck ASAP they are done here. Same as games last season team get men behind the ball and wait for the error in the LCB/LB spot to a far post cross, easy as hell to beat this Sheffield United
Bang on.👍

For you, I hope.

pommpey
Just maybe try and support the lads a little more.

Im not saying blindly, but at times you seem to be overly harsh in your criticism just for the sake of it.

Ive never seen anyone improve their performance or confidence by being berated and screamed at negatively.

Mousse 1 that's unfair he ran the channels but we need a striker like I said last year brewster is just meh

our only player who doesn't stop and go backwards when an opposition player fronts up and can beat a player with pace and skill like Berge can (when he's arsed) is a fucking crime

If you saw this and had to guess which player it was not counting Berge in normal times you wouldnt expect the answer to be Basham. However it is. It just sums up the whole team. God bless Basham.

Woke up this morning thinking I had a bad dream where we lost and the match was today then the realisation hit.

On one side of the arguement you get the people saying, its only the first match (which could quickly turn into "its only the eighth match") give them a chance, no need to panic etc. This I would agree if it were not for last season. We really needed to see instant change. In that I dont mean wholesale complete Slav's ideal team I mean dont dilly dally at the back, dont go down the sides then look up and go all way back, actually play through the middle. These are little changes that could be done with this team. Nothing has changed and it worries me.

This is the reason and the commentators mentioned it. At Fulham and Watford one of Slav's right hand man was Alberto Escobar. The Alan Knill type person. They also stated that Slav on the training ground didnt always decide the tactics he left it to Alberto. This combination along with a couple of others is what got Fulham and Watford promoted. Commentators also mentioned he likes his coaches to question the tactics he put forward and wants their input. Now the staff he has got with him at the Blades is not the same. No Alberto for instance. The other thing that worried me and maybe people who went can change this but everytime the camera was on him he was not saying a word, just a very stern look on his face. I only saw him once speak to Berge. Maybe I was expecting Wilder type shouting. I do expect that it will take to at least Christmas before we see "his vision" whatever that might be but I dont think we will be fighting for promotion with 20+ goal scorers like many have said. The Commentators once again kept saying "look at the enviable bench of strikers there is some quality there". eh? :)

Anyway the My Take is sadly spot on. I think we were kidding ourselves if last season was a one off. I hope I`m wrong is my only positive thing I can say.

Back
Top Bottom