My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
A win's a win, innit?

We spent the second half (and some of the first) with the ropes in our back and our gloves up to our temples, elbows in and shipping weak punch after weak punch from Brighton. They wanted to beat us simply because the embarrassment of being beaten by us - the Premier League's version of Izal bogroll - was a bit too much to bear. In a half time talk to my buddy at Shiregreen (who uncharacteristically had decided to skip the first half for the better past-time of sewing his ballsack skin to the saddle of his motorcycle) I suggested that Brighton may come out in the second half and more Premier League professionals amongst them would wake up to the fact that they were losing to Sheffield United. But because they were equally shit at not landing a punch which had us taking a count, the whole fucking match resembled a game which could in fact happen twelve months from now. Put it this way, next season we'd be calling tonight a 'well-earned three points', when in fact it was a scrappy kick about where we looked once again pretty fucking shite.

The formation - 3-4-3 (ish) - certainly made us look more comfortable in the first 35 minutes. We got forward and Osborn created mischief in his 'new-role', which in fact is basically just chase-arsing the ball three yards behind where play is. He might look like he's being effective, but in truth, he isn't. Brighton were well ahead of his industry and for that matter the only problems they faced were David McGoldrick shaped, simply because he owns the modicum of class a whole team should have at this level of English football. Once again for all his lack of pace, he manages to bring down and control his environment and connect effectively with other players, even if they couldn't fucking find him back at times. The more forward looking style of play at 3-4-3 suited him better even if Osborn frequently complicated the matter by veering into the left or right channels. Mark Duffy, Osborn isn't. The midfield looked passable in the literal sense rather than the footballing sense for a while until players like Lallana, Veltman and Trossard decided to stop fucking about and started to cancel anything out, starting with the kick off in the second half. It's what we've been watching all season and then when Heckingbotham decided to replace Ozzy with a stylish oak-leather suitcase with brocade lining, simulated gold attachments and a faux-hide handle you just knew the idea was to pull it all in on 5-3-2 with the usual trio of fucking lavatory bowls being bypassed and our goal under siege. When we did get it forward, it went to Ali Dia ... sorry, Oli Burke ... who despite blistering pace, still seems like he's missed his fucking vocation in the 100 yard sporran and porridge dash at the McBloater games on the misty banks of Loch Pish. He'd win that fucker. Score a goal for us? Fucking dream on.

Sure, it's three useless points to a side already down and dumped upon. I'm happy we won, but again, tonight shows us the fucking Everest sized clear out and restocking we need to be able to get the end result we want next season.

Ramsdale 6.5/10: Some really good saves, but loses a whole point for his distribution, which continues to be fucking dismal. His drop kicks are high, wide and snow-covered, and his chips to the wings play people into trouble
Baldock 5/10: Out of position, once again. Where are the usual centre backs? Where is Rodwell, Robinson, Jags and is Basham that injured? Why not play Ampadu and let Furious do what he likes to do best?
Egan 6.5/10: Fairly solid and inconspicuous display showing his gathering betterment back from injury
Bryan 5/10: Continues to be our weak link. Really panicky at times. He's fairly solid as a player, but isn't PL standard
Bogle 5.5/10: Moderate, workmanlike performance
Norwood 5/10: Not a bad outing in a better position in the first half at least. When Lundstram cam on and he became the 'pivot' he reverted to type and was invisible
Fleck 6/10: Got stuck in, for the first hour at least trying to carve up holes in the Brighton midfield but ... in honesty ... he's just not good enough, is he?
Stevens 4/10: Not really convinced at all he is suitable for any involvement in the club's future after May. Tonight he was threaded up his own arsehole by Jahanbakhshahabasham
Brewster 4/10: Marginally better performance in the first half, even if Brighton's defence were pretty pedestrian. For someone who reportedly has 'pace', have we seen this yet, at all? Second half it was 'Dad. They aint passing to me' shit
McGoldrick 7.5/10: Great outing. Class act.

Burke 2/10: Utter shite
Lundstram 1/10: Absolute shite

I was waiting for Hecky to sub McGoldrick with the wheeled attaché case in leatherette with combination locks and deep mauve satin accoutrements that is Lys fucking Mousset but I reckon he wasn't even there

pommpey

• Banned
A win's a win, innit?

We spent the second half (and some of the first) with the ropes in our back and our gloves up to our temples, elbows in and shipping weak punch after weak punch from Brighton. They wanted to beat us simply because the embarrassment of being beaten by us - the Premier League's version of Izal bogroll - was a bit too much to bear. In a half time talk to my buddy at Shiregreen (who uncharacteristically had decided to skip the first half for the better past-time of sewing his ballsack skin to the saddle of his motorcycle I suggested that Brighton may come out in the second half and more Premier League professionals amongst them would wake up to the fact that they were losing to Sheffield United. But because they were equally shit at not landing a punch which had us taking a count, the whole fucking match resembled a game which could in fact happen twelve months from now. Put it this way, next season we'd be calling tonight a 'well-earned three points', when in fact it was a scrappy kick about where we looked once again pretty fucking shite.

The formation - 3-4-3 (ish) - certainly made us look more comfortable in the first 35 minutes. We got forward and Osborn created mischief in his 'new-role', which in fact is basically just chase-arsing the ball three yards behind where play is. He might look like he's being effective, but in truth, he isn't. Brighton were well ahead of his industry and for that matter the only problems they faced were David McGoldrick shaped, simply because he owns the modicum of class a whole team should have at this level of English football. Once again for all his lack of pace, he manages to bring down and control his environment and connect effectively with other players, even if they couldn't fucking find him back at times. The more forward looking style of play at 3-4-3 suited him better even if Osborn frequently complicated the matter by veering into the left or right channels. Mark Duffy, Osborn isn't. The midfield looked passable in the literal sense rather than the footballing sense for a while until players like Lallana, Veltman and Trossard decided to stop fucking about and started to cancel anything out, starting with the kick off in the second half. It's what we've been watching all season and then when Heckingbotham decided to replace Ozzy with a stylish oak-leather suitcase with brocade lining, simulated gold attachments and a faux-hide handle you just knew the idea was to pull it all in on 5-3-2 with the usual trio of fucking lavatory bowl being bypasses and our goal under siege. When we did get it forward, it went to Ali Dia ... sorry, Oli Burke ... who despite blistering pace, still seems like he's missed his fucking vocation in the 100 yard sporran and porridge dash at the McBloater games on the misty banks of Loch Pish. He'd win that fucker. Score a goal for us? Fucking dream on.

Sure, it's three useless points to a side already down and dumped upon. I'm happy we won, but again, tonight shows us the fucking Everest sized clear out and restocking we need to be able to get the end result we want next season.

Ramsdale 6.5/10: Some really good saves, but loses a whole point for his distribution, which continues to be fucking dismal. His drop kicks are high, wide and snow-covered, and his chips to the wings play people into trouble
Baldock 5/10: Out of position, once again. Where are the usual centre backs? Where is Rodwell, Robinson, Jags and is Basham that injured? Why not play Ampadu and let Furious do what he likes to do best?
Egan 6.5/10: Fairly solid and inconspicuous display showing his gathering betterment back from injury
Bryan 5/10: Continues to be our weak link. Really panicky at times. He's fairly solid as a player, but isn't PL standard
Norwood 5/10: Not a bad outing in a better position in the first half at least. When Lundstram cam on and he became the 'pivot' he reverted to type and was invisible
Fleck 6/10: Got stuck in, for the first hour at least trying to carve up holes in the Brighton midfield but ... in honesty ... he's just not good enough, is he?
Stevens 4/10: Not really convinced at all he is suitable for any involvement in the club's future after May. Tonight he was threaded up his own arsehole by Jahanbakhshahabasham
Brewster 4/10: Marginally better performance in the first half, even if Brighton's defence were pretty pedestrian. For someone who reportedly has 'pace', have we seen this yet, at all? Second half it was 'Dad. They aint passing to me' shit

I was waiting for Hecky to sub McGoldrick with the wheeled attaché case in leatherette with combination locks and deep mauve satin accoutrements that is Lys fucking Mousset but I reckon he wasn't even there

pommpey

tenth

pommpey

Who thinks Brewster is pacy or has described him as such? Only the most deluded and ignorant of our fans would think he’s ever been considered that.
Why do we claim players are something they’ve never been and then criticise them for not being what they never were?

• Banned
Who thinks Brewster is pacy or has described him as such? Only the most deluded and ignorant of our fans would think he’s ever been considered that.
Why do we claim players are something they’ve never been and then criticise them for not being what they never were?

Typical shithouse comment.

Look, Flatulent. Using the terms 'deluded' and 'ignorant' when you sit in the underpants you do is kinda like the old kettle counter-questioning the darkening hue of the pot. It was mooted Brewster had pace, by quite a few on here. He also was meant to have some mystical skills like, 'scoring goals' and even 'hitting the fucking target area'.

So let's not get too pedantic about what this fucking dud came with with regard 'reputation'. If you think he has such qualities, let's hear some examples in red and white stripes from such a fucking footballing visionary, like you.

Or not.

pommpey

Look, Flatulent. Using the terms 'deluded' and 'ignorant' when you sit in the underpants you do is kinda like the old kettle counter-questioning the darkening hue of the pot. It was mooted Brewster had pace, by quite a few on here. He also was meant to have some mystical skills like, 'scoring goals' and even 'hitting the fucking target area'.

So let's not get too pedantic about what this fucking dud came with with regard 'reputation'. If you think he has such qualities, let's hear some examples in red and white stripes from such a fucking visionary, like you.

Or not.

pommpey
Thin skinned normality from Captain Ego.
You’re ignorantly attacking a player for not having electric pace when he never had it, because you didn’t know any better. That’s on you for talking out your arse.
Let’s not get pedantic about the absolutely shite you’ve just said about one of the players?
Why not have a pop at Osborne for not being 6ft?

Instead of trying to do your boring deflection shit, let’s stick to what you actually said, or should we just skip the back and forth and you can just go crying to the admins that you’re being picked on, you big internet tough guy?

So let's not get too pedantic about what this fucking dud came with with regard 'reputation'. If you think he has such qualities, let's hear some examples in red and white stripes from such a fucking footballing visionary, like you.

Or not.

pommpey
Is it just me or are you criticising Flatulent for more or less agreeing with your comment? I'm confused.

• Banned
Thin skinned normality from Captain Ego.
You’re ignorantly attacking a player for not having electric pace when he never had it, because you didn’t know any better. That’s on you for talking out your arse.
Let’s not get pedantic about the absolutely shite you’ve just said about one of the players?
Why not have a pop at Osborne for not being 6ft?

Instead of trying to do your boring deflection shit, let’s stick to what you actually said, or should we just skip the back and forth and you can just go crying to the admins that you’re being picked on, you big internet tough guy?

Hah. Being called out as 'internet tough guy' by one of the forum's own olympic-sized blowhards and weight-chuckers is a grand day out here. Let's not examine your past regarding that, huh?

As said, if my observations are so wide of the mark, then we'll rely on you to provide countering evidence of Brewster's blistering ability (widely farted on about before he came by all and sundry, particularly on here) But you can't. In short, he's been a fucking failure, and no amount of excuse mongering will deflect that Liverpool ... like Bournemouth with Mousset and Swansea with McBurnie, had our kecks down. Maybe you have an excuse or reason for that. While you're at it, maybe you can explain why a 21 year old lad, highly trained athlete as well, was shown a clean pair of heels by one or two Brighton players tonight. Maybe why he's not ripping defences up for arsepaper like it was attested? Was it you who suggested he had a bit of speed about him? If not, why are you bothered what write? Or is this one of your 'personal digs', which seems to come about every now and then when the feeling takes you? I notice you singling others out on here for your treatment also, now and again. There's a pattern forming, and it spells out 'bigger internet tough guy'.

And FYI, it's usually the admins who contact me, regarding my reaction to wankers who crayon all over people's threads. Again, pattern forming.

So, if you've summat constructive to offer in this match assessment (like a lot of the grown ups do on 'My Take ...' tend to do these days) then let's hear it. If you think I am wrong about Brewster, let's here why you think he's a great player. Some said he was when Wilder was trying his best to sign him, even suggesting he had pace. I have yet to see this. It's a point maybe you're a bit too addled to catch.

I'll wait.

pommpey

Is it just me or are you criticising Flatulent for more or less agreeing with your comment? I'm confused.

No. It's you.

Flatulent has had a few lagers and has tired of kicking the cat, and his missus has fucked off to bed.

So he's on here trying to make a point, and failing.

pommpey

I think I had more chance of understanding the old King Ted's school song (it was in Latin - "Tempus est ut concinamus..etc") in the late 1950s than I have of understanding some of the finer points that arise in debates on this forum. Never mind, had my Horlicks so good night all.

Normally agree with you pommpey but don't think many thought pace was one of brewster's key attributes. The abilities he was touted for was having a powerful shot and high accuracy percentage even from distance.

IIRC - I seem to recall some suggesting he was quick, not just reaction time but across the ground also.

But thanks for disagreeing with me with respect, rather than being a bellend about it jono.

pommpey

you big internet tough guy?
Nooo. Narcissist, sociopath, psychopath but surely not “big internet tough guy”, that’s the sort of thing that could stop him writing the reviews we/you read.

Personally I became worried when the thunderbirds puppet allowed a Liverpudlian test tube experiment onto then field out of contract. Luckily as much as he tried, he didn’t fuck this one up for us.

Steven’s and fleck played better.

Love, I really LOVE “8 ball gold dick” cool MO FO.

Within 5 years we will be back hopefully, not 12/13 this time........

A win's a win, innit?

We spent the second half (and some of the first) with the ropes in our back and our gloves up to our temples, elbows in and shipping weak punch after weak punch from Brighton. They wanted to beat us simply because the embarrassment of being beaten by us - the Premier League's version of Izal bogroll - was a bit too much to bear. In a half time talk to my buddy at Shiregreen (who uncharacteristically had decided to skip the first half for the better past-time of sewing his ballsack skin to the saddle of his motorcycle) I suggested that Brighton may come out in the second half and more Premier League professionals amongst them would wake up to the fact that they were losing to Sheffield United. But because they were equally shit at not landing a punch which had us taking a count, the whole fucking match resembled a game which could in fact happen twelve months from now. Put it this way, next season we'd be calling tonight a 'well-earned three points', when in fact it was a scrappy kick about where we looked once again pretty fucking shite.

The formation - 3-4-3 (ish) - certainly made us look more comfortable in the first 35 minutes. We got forward and Osborn created mischief in his 'new-role', which in fact is basically just chase-arsing the ball three yards behind where play is. He might look like he's being effective, but in truth, he isn't. Brighton were well ahead of his industry and for that matter the only problems they faced were David McGoldrick shaped, simply because he owns the modicum of class a whole team should have at this level of English football. Once again for all his lack of pace, he manages to bring down and control his environment and connect effectively with other players, even if they couldn't fucking find him back at times. The more forward looking style of play at 3-4-3 suited him better even if Osborn frequently complicated the matter by veering into the left or right channels. Mark Duffy, Osborn isn't. The midfield looked passable in the literal sense rather than the footballing sense for a while until players like Lallana, Veltman and Trossard decided to stop fucking about and started to cancel anything out, starting with the kick off in the second half. It's what we've been watching all season and then when Heckingbotham decided to replace Ozzy with a stylish oak-leather suitcase with brocade lining, simulated gold attachments and a faux-hide handle you just knew the idea was to pull it all in on 5-3-2 with the usual trio of fucking lavatory bowls being bypassed and our goal under siege. When we did get it forward, it went to Ali Dia ... sorry, Oli Burke ... who despite blistering pace, still seems like he's missed his fucking vocation in the 100 yard sporran and porridge dash at the McBloater games on the misty banks of Loch Pish. He'd win that fucker. Score a goal for us? Fucking dream on.

pommpey
Not a bad perforomance with ten men IMHO

need to get Osborn in the starting line up...

... you pillock Pompey. 😂😂😂😂

Another odd "My Take". Why tar one of our few reasonably competent performances with the same tired old brush of your self-evident disappointment of our season as a whole? If our shitness has worn you down, fair enough. If these matches are now meaningless, also fine.

But today was another match against a team that was only ever mildly impressive (aka also a crap side) and we won the game with few calamities. Almost all of the other matches that had a similar balance between two pretty poor teams, we lost by the odd goal. For once, we were 1-0 up after 35 minutes when we deserved to be. And in the end held firm when probably a better team would have equalized from their three or four good chances.

I thought we did alright in a meaningless game. And when I will reflect on this season in three years, I will probably only remember three specific things:

• We were incredibly shite throughout with very few memories that last beyond midnight on a matchday.
  • Football without crowds - almost irrespective of the competition it is played in - was soulless beyond belief and made the teams that play seem so much less competent than in prior years with crowds.
  • We sank like a stone even though we played at least eight or nine teams that looked really poor even when they played us at our worst. The main difference to last year seems to be that back then, we actually had work-rate, legs and know-how to knock these tired old journeymen boxers to the canvass (to try and stay in your boxing imagery). It is quite painful to admit to oneself stuck on 17 points that none of Brighton, Everton, Burnley, West Brom, Newcastle, Aston Villa, West Ham or Wolves did anything in their matches against us that would have made a neutral think at any stage "wow, they are class and this must be one of Europe's best leagues."
With my take on the quality of the Covid-Prem and tonight's football out of the way, I feel another personal point may be allowed. I always approach your take as an intended humorous description of the match by somebody who views the world a little more cynically than I would who uses their control over language to deliberately present things in a funny, but over-the-top manner.

Taken that way, I enjoy your views and continue to read them with joy even though you often spur me to reply against better knowledge - I mean, I already know now that this might not be our last word on Brighton at home 2021. :cool:

Where you really confuse me is the weekly explosiveness almost immediately after your take. If one uses those over-the-top criticisms for effect, if you tailor observations to make points more salient and to create a humorous effect, why do you feel the fairly constant need to go off on people who debate those deliberate caricatures on their merit? Your point is we were conned and Brewster is shite so you use all the qualities he does not have for illustration. Fair enough. The point is clear and well arguable. The details quoted in justification do not really matter as they are either humorous or simply used to beef up a point most will deem arguable.

If somebody than picks his lack of pace as a serious moot discussion point, why does that matter to you? Pace was just another auxiliary illustration that was used but is not key to the point you make. Why does the persona you create on here not do magnanimousness or a laid-back smile along the lines of "oh, another nit-picker misunderstanding how I work who wants to pick me up on minute illustrative details"? Rather than rush into battle with the clear objective of making out that not only is Pommpey always funny, but more importantly he also is always right down to the nth detail?

Somebody may have said that Brewster has pace? You think he hasn't. Flatulent, in essence, agrees he hasn't, but because he adds that supposed pace was always a mis-characterization, he somehow has encroached on your manor? Cue another back and forth...

Odd...

Brewster is crying out for a pre season. First half he was fairly decent on the ball, albeit positionally all over the place. Then after 60 he was blowing and I think the ankle injury was a ‘get me off plea’ as he'd run out of steam.

I see quality in him, you just have to see what he did for Swansea last season to see he’ll come good. In our team you have to create your own chances, I can't remember any clear cut chances he's had. We’ll see a different player next season.

He's 21. I'd rather see him than Burke just jogging around and then losing it every time he gets it

The problem when you’re schtick is being provocative, is that reasonably good performances are poor material. Hence chucking a few 4s around gratuitously.

My Take is in for a rough run when we win more than we lose next year. I’m expecting programme sellers, quality of the pies, etc getting some incendiary slather. 😂

Rammers handling was great and made 2 quality saves and a couple routine ones.

Also Ozzy has got a bit of Monty about him but given how we match up at this level thats no bad thing.

Think for 30 minutes we were brilliant then for the next 60 fairly resolute like last season with still a makeshift defence. Enda was awful defensively but at least showed some of his old self going forwards with the ball. Thought Fleck had his best game for a while first half too. A lot of our players shine when we have the ball in attacking areas which does give me hope for next year.

Rammers - 8
Bogle - 6
Furious - 6
Eeeegs - 8
Bryan - 5
Stevens - 5
Osborn - 7
Norwood - 6
Fleck - 6
Didsy - 9
Brewster - 5

Subs
Burke - lolz
Lunny - fuck off

Heckingbottom - 7 anyone getting another win out of this bunch deserves at least a 7. Loses a mark for bringing Lunny on.

A win's a win, innit?

pommpey
Forget the game, are those stylish oak-leather suitcases available in the club shop or JD Sports?

Brewster is crying out for a pre season. First half he was fairly decent on the ball, albeit positionally all over the place. Then after 60 he was blowing and I think the ankle injury was a ‘get me off plea’ as he'd run out of steam.

I see quality in him, you just have to see what he did for Swansea last season to see he’ll come good. In our team you have to create your own chances, I can't remember any clear cut chances he's had. We’ll see a different player next season.

He's 21. I'd rather see him than Burke just jogging around and then losing it every time he gets it
In truth, the whole squad is crying out for a pre-season.

Hah. Being called out as 'internet tough guy' by one of the forum's own olympic-sized blowhards and weight-chuckers is a grand day out here. Let's not examine your past regarding that, huh?

As said, if my observations are so wide of the mark, then we'll rely on you to provide countering evidence of Brewster's blistering ability (widely farted on about before he came by all and sundry, particularly on here) But you can't. In short, he's been a fucking failure, and no amount of excuse mongering will deflect that Liverpool ... like Bournemouth with Mousset and Swansea with McBurnie, had our kecks down. Maybe you have an excuse or reason for that. While you're at it, maybe you can explain why a 21 year old lad, highly trained athlete as well, was shown a clean pair of heels by one or two Brighton players tonight. Maybe why he's not ripping defences up for arsepaper like it was attested? Was it you who suggested he had a bit of speed about him? If not, why are you bothered what write? Or is this one of your 'personal digs', which seems to come about every now and then when the feeling takes you? I notice you singling others out on here for your treatment also, now and again. There's a pattern forming, and it spells out 'bigger internet tough guy'.

And FYI, it's usually the admins who contact me, regarding my reaction to wankers who crayon all over people's threads. Again, pattern forming.

So, if you've summat constructive to offer in this match assessment (like a lot of the grown ups do on 'My Take ...' tend to do these days) then let's hear it. If you think I am wrong about Brewster, let's here why you think he's a great player. Some said he was when Wilder was trying his best to sign him, even suggesting he had pace. I have yet to see this. It's a point maybe you're a bit too addled to catch.

I'll wait.

pommpey
It’s not a complicated question that you’re ducking so I’ll ask it again. Do you expect Brewster to have great pace?

If you do you’re ignorant because he’s never had any spectacular pace, and if you thought he did you were talking without understanding, or even wanting to understand the facts.
If you don’t expect him to have great pace you’re being a nob head for effect to expect a player to display something in his arsenal that he physically doesn’t have.
Pick your hill, which is it?

It actually makes no odds if you duck it yet again, my question isn’t unreasonable, difficult or challenging and we all know the truth, but it would be good for you to answer it.
Personally I reckon you’ll continue to try and throw your weight around again and deflect rather than just own that you deliberately made something up in order to attack one of our youngest players. Again, I’m sure you’ll wear it as a badge of honour but that’s what it is, black and white.

In truth, the whole squad is crying out for a pre-season.
We looked tired second half yesterday. It’s not something I think is a Wilder mis management because we’ve never been like this in the passed but this season we don’t look fit.

Looking back to the Scotland trip where half the first team didn’t turn up until 2nd week and finishing the season with a months break could be another contributor to our performance

A win's a win, innit?

pommpey
Well done for posting anything about this load of shit.
Last night all I managed was a few fleeting glances whilst freezing my bollocks off drinking outside

A win's a win, innit?

pommpey

Best part of last night's performance was the defence - and I thought Egan looked more like the player we remember. Think you are being a bit harsh on Enda - he did some decent stuff last night. And he got the hang of Ja.............. after a couple of skinnings.

Midfield very weak link - teams have run through us with ease all season. We are not sharp or fit enough.

Attack - I have criticised Didsy for being slow- but actually the rest of his game makes up for it. Brewster - well let's give him a fresh start next season.

Another odd "My Take". Why tar one of our few reasonably competent performances with the same tired old brush of your self-evident disappointment of our season as a whole? If our shitness has worn you down, fair enough. If these matches are now meaningless, also fine.

My point is that regardless of the win and it's obvious pointlessness, we still show inherent weaknesses even with a tweak of players and system. I only saw one player who discharged Premier League quality last night in most parts of his game. He could be thought of as a 'veteran' in many circles, yet he showed players around him of higher monetary value and lesser years a lesson in how to play at this level. He was in many aspects the difference between us and Brighton. This isn't an uncommon thing, either. Whenever he plays, he is head and shoulders above his fellow team-mates.

But today was another match against a team that was only ever mildly impressive (aka also a crap side) and we won the game with few calamities. Almost all of the other matches that had a similar balance between two pretty poor teams, we lost by the odd goal. For once, we were 1-0 up after 35 minutes when we deserved to be. And in the end held firm when probably a better team would have equalized from their three or four good chances.

We agree

I thought we did alright in a meaningless game. And when I will reflect on this season in three years, I will probably only remember three specific things:

• We were incredibly shite throughout with very few memories that last beyond midnight on a matchday.
  • Football without crowds - almost irrespective of the competition it is played in - was soulless beyond belief and made the teams that play seem so much less competent than in prior years with crowds.
  • We sank like a stone even though we played at least eight or nine teams that looked really poor even when they played us at our worst. The main difference to last year seems to be that back then, we actually had work-rate, legs and know-how to knock these tired old journeymen boxers to the canvass (to try and stay in your boxing imagery). It is quite painful to admit to oneself stuck on 17 points that none of Brighton, Everton, Burnley, West Brom, Newcastle, Aston Villa, West Ham or Wolves did anything in their matches against us that would have made a neutral think at any stage "wow, they are class and this must be one of Europe's best leagues."

First point - concur. Second point - concur, but other teams win with no crowds. This season, a lot of times against SUFC. Third point - but we still lost. It's not necessarily 'how', but 'we did'. Hence 17 points.

With my take on the quality of the Covid-Prem and tonight's football out of the way, I feel another personal point may be allowed. I always approach your take as an intended humorous description of the match by somebody who views the world a little more cynically than I would who uses their control over language to deliberately present things in a funny, but over-the-top manner.

Taken that way, I enjoy your views and continue to read them with joy even though you often spur me to reply against better knowledge - I mean, I already know now that this might not be our last word on Brighton at home 2021. :cool:

Where you really confuse me is the weekly explosiveness almost immediately after your take. If one uses those over-the-top criticisms for effect, if you tailor observations to make points more salient and to create a humorous effect, why do you feel the fairly constant need to go off on people who debate those deliberate caricatures on their merit? Your point is we were conned and Brewster is shite so you use all the qualities he does not have for illustration. Fair enough. The point is clear and well arguable. The details quoted in justification do not really matter as they are either humorous or simply used to beef up a point most will deem arguable.

Because there is a distinct difference between 'My take ... ' and people criticising 'my take' on the game and it's players, and others simply using the right to reply to issue ad hominem. I reserve the right to reply in kind to that, but as it should be unnecessary. Flatulent has completely missed the point either deliberately or unknowingly in that my comments were based on some on here suggesting Brewster having pace (note: in the past I have asked of people who got similarly lob-on about McBurnie's devastating strike capability, Berge's midfield prowess and Ramsdale's goalkeeping mastery) I am not suggesting Brewster has pace at all. It's fucking evident that for an expensively trained, body-conditioned footballer at 21 playing in the top league in the world and having been on the books of the nation's champions, his mental and physical quickness is lacking. Disagree? OK, please do. Even if he had one of these qualities - the mental quickness - he might be on at least seven goals this season, like aforementioned veteran bloke, who leaves everything out on the green stuff and for me, is Player of the Season material by a long stretch. I am simply asking folk who bigged Brewster up when we were playing through the nose for him, what exactly was it that made him such a target? Some said 'pace'. Explain, please. And whilst you're at it, try to leave the personalised shit in your handbag.

If somebody than picks his lack of pace as a serious moot discussion point, why does that matter to you? Pace was just another auxiliary illustration that was used but is not key to the point you make. Why does the persona you create on here not do magnanimousness or a laid-back smile along the lines of "oh, another nit-picker misunderstanding how I work who wants to pick me up on minute illustrative details"? Rather than rush into battle with the clear objective of making out that not only is Pommpey always funny, but more importantly he also is always right down to the nth detail?

Because the idea of this forum is that 'no one is right'. Some agree with me. Some don't. The majority either way do it with respect. Coming on here when you've had a few ales and playing the internet hard man (Flatulent's stock-in-trade, he loves squatting his weight down on unfortunates he doesn't like on here, rather than offer a respectful counter-argument) why not simply say 'I disagree, and here is why?' Not sure if your notice, this is a common discussion and offering right the way through 'My takes ... ' through this season. Other match writers have the same level of slavver. Deadbat gets it in the neck as well. It would be refreshing to see that if people disagree, by how much and why, and hey, how about doing your own summation of player ratings and some comments - about the match - and leave 'what you think about me' out of the discussion? And FYI - the objective isn't 'pommpey is always funny'. Clearly, by some reactions, I am not. Yes, I have an absurdist, lavatorial, Brookeresque method of putting my point across and given the misery of this season, if it has brought a smile to people's faces, then great. But Deadbat has the intrinsic, methodic and admirable detailed match write up cornered and nailed. And he sticks out a web-blog an all, which is fucking great stuff. Pointless me doing the same when he does it so well. And yes, sometimes I read and listen and disagree. But it doesn't make me think he's a bellend. He has a different point of view to me. He's not a cunt. He's a Unitedite. We all are.

Somebody may have said that Brewster has pace? You think he hasn't. Flatulent, in essence, agrees he hasn't, but because he adds that supposed pace was always a mis-characterization, he somehow has encroached on your manor? Cue another back and forth...

Odd...

Not odd at all. What is odd is that some on here (and it's happened in the past) jump on one comment to drive a personalised attack home. Flatulent has history with me. I read his posts, but choose not to 'go after' him, regardless of what I think about him. If I have commented on his posts, it is because of the content and won't contain any of the unnecessary slavver he never fails to level at me. He's a clever individual, but likes his position on here a bit too much as an agitator, mostly purposefully selecting and misrepresenting issues for his own benefit. It's unhelpful. He agrees that Brewster has no pace but suggests that because I have made comment of those who did say he was quick, that I am making it up that he had pace in the first place. The hidden detail there is that I never said he was quick. He isn't. But someone must have seen him going through the gears and thought, 'fuck me, he's good!' Clearly from last night, that's bollocks.

pommpey

Back
Top Bottom