My take

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It's my opinion that your rating is ridiculous, as you say, we're all allowed one. I've explained why he plays how he plays and how it fits the system. Are you criticising Wilder's system then? You're allowed that opinion of course. I just find it ridiculous.

I thought you'd gone to bed with the 'Goodnight' bit.

pommpey

It was a real battle but it was always going to be, Wolverhampton are a fantastic side with quality up & down their lineup.

Was a big game for us both and you could see the tension and lack of risk taking.

Conditions deteriorated and we just did what it took in the crucial moment to take it.

I thought you'd gone to bed with the 'Goodnight' bit.

pommpey
Oh, no attempted riposte on the logic of this one? In my opinion you are simply exhibiting classic wind-up attention seeking behaviour. Sad to see. My sympathies to you. Sweet dreams 😘

^this^

You'd imagine Berger to have this capability, but he's more defensive. So why not sit him in Norwood's role and have Fleck/Freeman L/Lunny/Osborn drive at opposition back fours and find the front two?

pommpey
You might be right but it won't happen until next season. This season whilst it is going so well he will be reluctant to make such a major change.
For now enjoy the ride we are on. It will be a critical transfer window this time around as we need our midfield to be more creative if we are to continue to move forward.

Oh, no attempted riposte on the logic of this one? In my opinion you are simply exhibiting classic wind-up attention seeking behaviour. Sad to see. My sympathies to you. Sweet dreams 😘

Your reply was going so well, until you came over all unnecessary with the 'Goodnight' bit.

Now you're getting all defensive because you know it was a bit cunty.

Why be like ths? It's isn't clever ... unless you're about twelve.

We disagree about Norwood. That is the issue. It's you behaving like a twat about it. Who is Norwood to you? Your dad?

pommpey

Giyor Pomps, I like to read your opinions, on this occasion though the players deserve a tad more credit IMO.

Just based on the general performance I wouldn't rate anybody as low as 5 or even a 6, but definitely not 4.

I thought Zivkovic showed pace and promise and set up a good chance which would have been an excellent assist had it gone in.

Giyor Pomps, I like to read your opinions, on this occasion though the players deserve a tad more credit IMO.

Just based on the general performance I wouldn't rate anybody as low as 5 or even a 6, but definitely not 4.

I thought Zivkovic showed pace and promise and set up a good chance which would have been an excellent assist had it gone in.

Dude

I gave Norwood a 5

Deadbat gave him a 6.

I fear for Deadbat! Speak to us Deadbat!

pommpey

Dude

I gave Norwood a 5

Deadbat gave him a 6.

I fear for Deadbat! Speak to us Deadbat!

pommpey
I dunno pal, I tend not to analyse that much, I'm just going off the general vibe I got after watching the game and to me it would feel harsh to hand out any 5's or 4's. We worked hard throughout and really deserved the winner at the end.

When you make yourself available to receive the ball and as a result , have it as often as Norwood does and look for an attacking option , it is almost inevitable that you are going to make some mistakes when distributing it .

I'll take that all day long as against the type of player who is reluctant to show for the ball and /or looks to get rid of it as quickly as possible .

Oli Norwood has been and still is a major factor in our success .

Attention seeking crap as usual
I really dont know why you bother as we all saw the game

Aw, love. Soz. As usual, Pedro jumps on the bandwagon and fails to defend Norwood's rating, as other, more articulate forum members have (in many ways justifiably so)

Put me on ignore if it pisses you off that much Pedro Verde. Or scroll past to the shit jokes threads.

pommpey

I thought Norwood was excellent in the 2nd half both on and off the ball. Definitely back to his best.
He was much better than in the first hope that's him played himself back into form now

Your reply was going so well, until you came over all unnecessary with the 'Goodnight' bit.

Now you're getting all defensive because you know it was a bit cunty.

Why be like ths? It's isn't clever ... unless you're about twelve.

We disagree about Norwood. That is the issue. It's you behaving like a twat about it. Who is Norwood to you? Your dad?

pommpey
Why be like this? Perhaps because you have an overly condescending 'I'm better than you' tone to any reply that doesn't agree with you. Maybe consider that the fact a lot of people respond to you in the same way suggests the reasons are not about them and more a reflection on yourself.

Keep it up Pommps. Love what this thread turns into and it’s a great regular accompaniment to Deadbat’s report and Roy’s View from.

Deadbat replaces the Green’un report (including capitalised goal scorers)

Roy gives us an insight into how others see us.

Your report gives us an alternative view with the added bonus of bringing out some excellent sweary insults when others get upset.

I don’t always agree with how you saw it, but I’ll defend your right to come on here and say how you saw it and hand it out to others who call you a cunt for doing it.

You twat.

It’s a forum for Christ sake, giving opinions on all things Blades. After a game it always has and always will be busier and often emotions will be running that bit higher

Everyone has their own writing style and personality behind that style. Some will agree with what’s posted and some will disagree but like I say it’s a forum for exactly that.

If anyone (and in this case Pompey) feel that they want to add an additional summary of the game then so what. Why would this matter enough to anyone to the degree that your belief is he is simply attention seeking?

For what it’s worth I think his ratings are a little on the low side in what was a great team performance full of energy.

That’s my view, Pompey has his and it really should be as straight forward as that .

I can’t imagine a situation where I would ever want to put a blade on ignore or ask for them to be banned. If they made it personal towards me then I’d laugh it off because that would say more about them than it would about me.

Why be like this? Perhaps because you have an overly condescending 'I'm better than you' tone to any reply that doesn't agree with you. Maybe consider that the fact a lot of people respond to you in the same way suggests the reasons are not about them and more a reflection on yourself.

So this is you - in no way siree condescending at all your honour - telling me what my forum input is and why you - the authority on all this - are right because y'know ... 'it has to be said'.

Bit like when Desso got all personal (too personal in some ways) and got away from the playing surface and what I saw was a misappropriation of finances, this thread is about what my opinion is on last night's game. The invitation is to contribute to that with either agreement or disagreement but to substantiate it with your take. I've asked specifically that people be civil (or just ignore/scroll past) yet some can't and want to play the player and not the ball. Now in that same vein you are alluding I invite comments like 'attention seeking crap' the every poster who posts on here on every subject is doing exactly the same thing. As soon as you post you are offering an unsolicited contribution to the discussion. If you want that shutdown and we just do 'bantz' with people who only resonate with your bandwidth, then maybe you are in the wrong place. This is a football forum. I expect peopke to disagree with what I put, else I give everyone a 10/10 and blow sunshine out of their arses.

pommpey

He created the goal!

From a corner. The first one he has put in from either side since the restart which hit the zone.

And look what happened.

His corners in particular have been piss poor.

pommpey

I can see how Norwoods ratings would split opinions at times, seeing as this is one of the main things that have come out of this thread.

I think he is a fantastic footballer with the ability to open play up like nobody else at the club. Equally you could look at his game and ask how many goal scoring opportunities does his excellent passing create.

I always have a sense of optimism every time we have a free kick out wide because you know that 9/10 he will deliver a dangerous ball into the box but equally I tear my hair out (not that I’ve much left) when he over hits numerous corners that end up going out of play and I know Pompey has alluded to this so I get it.

It’s not like when we were ripping it up in league one and you knew another opportunity would be along in a few minutes. At this level you have to make everything counts and a player of his ball playing abilities should be capable of putting a corner into the right spot in the vast majority of cases

From a corner. The first one he has put in from either side since the restart which hit the zone.

And look what happened.

His corners in particular have been piss poor.

pommpey

So piss poor that Wilder took Osborn off the right-sided corners and asked Norwood to take them instead (leading to a goal).

Out of interest, what do you define as 'the zone', and will you accept that you're wrong if someone points out another one since the restart that hit the zone?

So piss poor that Wilder took Osborn off the right-sided corners and asked Norwood to take them instead (leading to a goal).

Out of interest, what do you define as 'the zone', and will you accept that you're wrong if someone points out another one since the restart that hit the zone?

The zone broadly is from penalty spot to posts. Its where if a cross is put, the greater likelihood is of a goal.

'And will you admit you're wrong'. What is this? A fucking Downing St press conference? What if I am wrong? What difference does it make to me, you or anyone else? Or are you keeping some sort of score or summat? Bizarre.

pommpey

The zone broadly is from penalty spot to posts. Its where if a cross is put, the greater likelihood is of a goal.

'And will you admit you're wrong'. What is this? A fucking Downing St press conference? What if I am wrong? What difference does it make to me, you or anyone else? Or are you keeping some sort of score or summat? Bizarre.

pommpey

I don't think it's that bizarre. Your rating score for Norwood has obviously been questioned by a lot of people. You've been asking everyone to give evidence for why they disagree. I'm just asking you if you're happy to back your own statements (e.g. whether that's the first corner that Norwood has put in the zone since lockdown). If you don't want to take the evidence approach, I don't mind.

I don't think it's that bizarre. Your rating score for Norwood has obviously been questioned by a lot of people. You've been asking everyone to give evidence for why they disagree. I'm just asking you if you're happy to back your own statements (e.g. whether that's the first corner that Norwood has put in the zone since lockdown). If you don't want to take the evidence approach, I don't mind.

As said (and not just by me) much of Norwood's corners since the restart have not found an attacking result and have either been floated to no one at the back stick or hitvthe first man. What evidence do tou need that in that department alone, he has been underperforming. He puts one in the zone last night and one of our centrebacks gets his head on it fornthe winner. I can't see what else there newds to be demonstrated.

pommpey

I can see how Norwoods ratings would split opinions at times, seeing as this is one of the main things that have come out of this thread.

I think he is a fantastic footballer with the ability to open play up like nobody else at the club. Equally you could look at his game and ask how many goal scoring opportunities does his excellent passing create.

I always have a sense of optimism every time we have a free kick out wide because you know that 9/10 he will deliver a dangerous ball into the box but equally I tear my hair out (not that I’ve much left) when he over hits numerous corners that end up going out of play and I know Pompey has alluded to this so I get it.

It’s not like when we were ripping it up in league one and you knew another opportunity would be along in a few minutes. At this level you have to make everything counts and a player of his ball playing abilities should be capable of putting a corner into the right spot in the vast majority of cases

I also tear my hair out when I see corners going out of play beyond the far post , something which has been a constant source of irritation to me and others for longer than I care to remember .

However , much of this frustration has not so much been directed at the corner taker but more so at the fact that we , along with many other teams it has to said , rarely if ever have someone positioned there for just this eventuality which happens time and time again .

It's not exactly rocket science to have a big fucker standing about 5 yards beyond the far post and about a yard in from the touch line , charged with the duty of heading any ball which bypasses everyone else back into the box .

Such situations are a nightmare for defenders to deal with and , on the rare occasions I've seen us do this down the years , it has often lead to a goal . There was one not too long ago when JOC did exactly what I'm advocating but I can't remember which match .

( I probably would if it had been 60 years ago :) )

I also tear my hair out when I see corners going out of play beyond the far post , something which has been a constant source of irritation to me and others for longer than I care to remember .

However , much of this frustration has not so much been directed at the corner taker but more so at the fact that we , along with many other teams it has to said , rarely if ever have someone positioned there for just this eventuality which happens time and time again .

It's not exactly rocket science to have a big fucker standing about 5 yards beyond the far post and about a yard in from the touch line , charged with the duty of heading any ball which bypasses everyone else back into the box .

Such situations are a nightmare for defenders to deal with and , on the rare occasions I've seen us do this down the years , it has often lead to a goal . There was one not too long ago when JOC did exactly what I'm advocating but I can't remember which match .

( I probably would if it had been 60 years ago :) )

Agreed. We haven't been good at corners for years. A couple at Newcastle were lofted optimistically to the back stick with everyone underneath it watching it clear their heads by ten feet or so with no one at all doing what you suggested, namely steer the ball back into the zone or nip in and head in.

pommpey

Back
Top Bottom