My sisters first game next season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

hobsonschoice

Reaction score
I normally read this forum but I am in a predicament as my dad died last August and we have sat together with my son on the kop since the 90's. I couldn't bear to give his seat up so we have bought his season ticket and transferred to my sister. Unfortunately she has never been to a football match let alone at Bramall Lane. She is trying very hard by looking at past matches and even showing an interest in any pre season games.

What advice could you give me so that my sister turns up for the second game and the rest of the season to keep the memory of my dear old Dad alive?

I normally read this forum but I am in a predicament as my dad died last August and we have sat together with my son on the kop since the 90's. I couldn't bear to give his seat up so we have bought his season ticket and transferred to my sister. Unfortunately she has never been to a football match let alone at Bramall Lane. She is trying very hard by looking at past matches and even showing an interest in any pre season games.

What advice could you give me so that my sister turns up for the second game and the rest of the season to keep the memory of my dear old Dad alive?

Alcohol pre-game. Otherwise hope that the first is a decent game and she gets hooked on the whole experience. If that fails, bribery!

When she's sampled the atmosphere, she'll be hooked, no other persuasion necessary. Although non committed types seem to struggle with extreme cold weather, but hey, be thankfull for small mercies. She'll also get the emotional connection to her dad as well

RIP, to your dad

I almost want to say not to try. Not meaning don't try to get her to the Lane, but don't try too hard to build it up. I remember my Dad asking me if I wanted to go to a game and telling me that a crap match on telly is still a decent game live. If she's got any interest in football then hopefully she'll get sucked up in the atmosphere on the day.

I'd even say avoid pre-season games because they can be dull, no atmosphere, and might put her off. Maybe look at making a day out of the opening game with her and your lad? Go for food somewhere, get programmes, take some sweets and soft drinks for during the game or something. visit the club shop for a Blades mug or something daft (must do something for our lady fans in that place). Try to do the whole "matchday experience" thing instead of making it all about the football. Probably a better chance than relying on the Blades to put on a great game when you need it.

Edit: I was assuming your lad was young for some reason, but maybe a couple of pre-match beverages are appropriate. Still, make it about the whole Blades thing and not just the football on the pitch.

Teach her the offside rules so that she fully understands them..... oh hang on I don’t think most of us know therm anymore so scrap that

Nice sentiment! Maybe go to the club shop before the game (either on the day or another time) and pick out a scarf or something with her - if she has that, it adds a bit of affinity for the team before the game has even started and helps get that hook! I wouldn't watch old games or anything, but it might help for her to know who one or two of the players are, so that she can look out for them. It must be really strange watching a game without really knowing who anyone is.

Advise her not to watch a review of the Nigel Adkins season or you’ll be lucky if she turns up for the first game never mind the second!

Nice sentiment! Maybe go to the club shop before the game (either on the day or another time) and pick out a scarf or something with her - if she has that, it adds a bit of affinity for the team before the game has even started and helps get that hook! I wouldn't watch old games or anything, but it might help for her to know who one or two of the players are, so that she can look out for them. It must be really strange watching a game without really knowing who anyone is.
Do you mean like Wednesday fans next season??

Pints, Pints, Pints, a boisterous walk down to ground. Soak up atmosphere, magnet not any other fucking hybrid version, give the ref pelters for first call to go against us. Then praise every player like their champions league winners, then have a massive knee jerk reaction and call everyone past it over the hill and wank when oppo equalise. If she can still speak to you after that performance every week you’ll be fine.l 🤣

RIP to your old man as well fella

I took my wife to her first match before segregation and we ended up in a fight with Spurs fans on the Kop.
Almost 20 years later my younger daughter persuaded her to go again. The only available seats were on the Kop ( I was safe with my eldest in the South Stand !) and guess what, a fight between Blades broke out around them !
However she has been a ST holder ever since, so I hope your sister gets the bug and enjoys the experience as well as remembering her dad.

Sadly, my daughters didn't inherit their dad's Blades gene nor a football one for that matter but on the few occasions they have been to the Lane I did try to make it a day to remember by including some shopping and a meal too.

Let her know the moment she walks through that turnstile or pulls on a Blades shirt for the
first time she will be a part of an amazing historic club with an instant connection to many thousands of others. Be sure to warn her about the swears though and that some of us can be pillocks sometimes!

Expect the worst, hope for the best

Just tell her not to ask any questions during the game. I remember my eldest daughter's first game and the stupid questions she asked which were endless.
Like your sister she had no interest in football and took a book in case she got bored. She even thought we won 1-0. Didn't realise that the 'goal' we scored was off side and hadn't a clue that when you scored the game restarted.
Nevertheless she was hooked. There's just something about Bramall Lane. It still surprises me when she phones up and talks about football, for a girl who was only ever interested in horses and waited until she was 35 to attend her first game.

Just forget:
A. Last season
B. Chris Wilder
And just remember, this club is special, it will entrance you, and it's fans will entertain you, some of ( not all obvs) the football will enthrall you.
You will emerge as another person who has experienced what is the life changing morphing into a new Blade!

Well first off, you're at an advantage being on the Kop, no better atmosphere and such an immersive experience, can't imagine anyone not getting hooked

Also with being a lady, probably advise her to go for a wee pre-match, easy for blokes but must be well shit for the ladies in them kop bogs, a visit is best avoided if she doesnt want putting off first time around!

Also treat her to a cup of bovril and a pie at half time, was my dads trick when he used to take my brother who wasnt fussed, keeps the hands warm and all part of the experience. p.s. He doesnt like footy but still loves coming to the lane for the atmosphere (and the pies), mustve done sommet right!

Teach her the chants, tell her about the history, get her in the mix and singing, at a minimum most of our chants can give a good laugh!

Back
Top Bottom