My first competitive Sheffield derby

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Was this the occasion where they believed they were going to completely steamroll us, or have I got a different occasion in mind?

After the final whistle at the Lane,Palmer refused to shake hands with any of our players and was heard to say,wait till you come to Hillsborough,this mantra was oft repeated by the Wednesdayites from November until that rainy night in March

Zenith cup was my first too although didn't we lose 2-3? Remember Bob Booker equalising in the last few minutes and Sheridan got the winner in ET.

Sorry, yes we did.

Deano and Booker (in the last minute) for us, Atkinson and Sheridan for them, not sure who go their other, we were probably favorites to win that one as we was on a role at the time.

****** WARNING - CIVILISATION ABOUT TO END ********

I think I may have spotted the first ever Silent Blade error.

One was 1979 (Boxing Day) and other 1980. They went up that season, so no derbies in 80/81.
It was the League Cup 1st round, 1st leg at S6 that was the other match that I missed in 1980. I was playing cricket that day.
I was in the Leppings Lane corner for that BDM

Easter 1971 ,0-0 at their shithole ,upper tier Leppings lane ,they had a programme called Wendy World and I can just about name both teams in full. Remember my granddad saying they are the ugliest football team ever ,Grummit ,Mobley ,graig Rodriguez etc fully supported that observation ,he fucking hated them.

It was the League Cup 1st round, 1st leg at S6 that was the other match that I missed in 1980. I was playing cricket that day.
I was in the Leppings Lane corner for that BDM

**********AS YOU WERE, STAND AT EASE MEN, CIVILISATION WILL CONTINUE A BIT LONGER**********

I really should have know better, shouldn't I?

when didnt they believe they were going to steamroll us, after all theyre fookin massif

I reckon in the mid to late 2000s they actually knew how completely sh!te the team was and stopped expecting anything. Interestingly they probably then had their best run of results for a while and bizarrely started enjoying the underdog tag !!

Normal service has now been resumed though...

Easter 1971 ,0-0 at their shithole ,upper tier Leppings lane ,they had a programme called Wendy World and I can just about name both teams in full. Remember my granddad saying they are the ugliest football team ever ,Grummit ,Mobley ,graig Rodriguez etc fully supported that observation ,he fucking hated them.

Gerry,can't trap a ball Young,he was a good looking lad

The first one I remember being at was Feb. 4 1967. We won 1-0 at home (Bill Punton) and I was stuck on John Street with an obnoxious little Wendy turd from school called 'Gabby' Lister which was soon changed to 'Gobby' because, like all Wendy fans, he was.

Another memorable one was the 3-2 win at home on Oct. 3, 1970. This was the season we got promoted back to the top tier - the one that saw the memorable penultimate 5-1 at home to Cardiff . We won that one 3-2 when John Tudor (Haaalelujah! King Tudor! King Tudor!) scored the winner through the pigs goalies legs (Peter Grummit). Another good 'un was on April 21, 1993. 1-1 (Deane) at Swillsborough - the night of the flares.

upload_2017-9-19_12-6-50.png

Apr. 8, 2008 was the 2-2 home game when Beattie got that memorable last-gasp free kick equaliser in the kop end. Finally, Sept. 18 2009 was the home game when we were 3-0 up at HT and hoping to stick it to the pig fuckers but they came back to 3-2 and we were hanging on at the end.

upload_2017-9-19_12-5-36.png

First one for me was this one. I was at the Bramall Lane end of the South Stand; watching Hendon's free-kick dribble in was horrible

Then the 0-0 in January 2002 which I could only find reference to by properly digging through the BBC archives:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/1786521.stm

Last one was the 3-1 win in 2003. Moved to London in 2007 so watched on TV when I could: I had a falling out with the now-wife after correctly describing Mike Dean as a "complete cunt" after watching the 1-0 defeat in 2008 while I watched the 3-2 win in 2009 in a pub in Clapham which refused to put the sound on - watching the Blackwellian horror almost completely unfold in the second half in silence was bizarre.

My first was November 2000, we lost 2-1 after extra time at Hillsborough.

The only one I've missed since was a 2-0 defeat in 2002.

Zenith Data Systems for me. If you count that as a competitive match. Went to a pre-season friendly at the Lane a few years before that.

Zenith Data Systems for me. If you count that as a competitive match. Went to a pre-season friendly at the Lane a few years before that.

The goal Sheridan scored in this game was a fantastic effort it has to be said,I also recall the 4,000 of us in the LLUT belting out the classic...He's fat he's round,he's taken Wednesday down,Big Fat Ron,Big Fat Ron

Played really well United,but ended up losing

Was this the occasion where they believed they were going to completely steamroll us, or have I got a different occasion in mind?
That was the one. They had a couple of cases of champagne ready for their post match celebrations. Priceless !

Mine was United 2 Wednesday 3 on January 2, 1965. Reg Matthewson and Alan Birchenall our goalscorers in front of a 37190 crowd. I was on the Kop, at the front, aged 6. My recollection is very hazy but I seem to recall a sunny day with Wednesday's winner coming late on at the Bramall Lane end. Whoever scored it took it round Hodgy and slotted it home with a United defender running back and lunging to clear it off the line but only succeeding in lifting it into the roof of the net. The other thing I remember is hearing something I'd never heard before: screaming from female Blades supporters whenever there was action in and around United's goalmouth. It's something I definitely associate with derby games around that time. I can recall hearing it again at the game in which Bill Punton scored the winner. It obviously reflected the additional tension surrounding these games.

My first derby at Hillsborough was March 1966, a 2-2 draw. I went in the South Stand. Sherman got both goals for us. I was in the South Stand again for another 2-2 game in September of that year, Woody and Mick Jones on the scoresheet. I was in the Leppings Lane stand in January, 1968 - another draw, 1-1 this time with Mick Hill scoring a fine goal at that end. It was the South Stand again for the 0-0 draw on the promotion run-in in 1971. I've been to a number of Hillsborough derbies since and watched them from various vantage points: Leppings Lane (standing) for the Boxing Day and (seated) for the Deano header games, North Stand for the 3-1 defeat in the relegation season and (memorably) their Kop for the Bobby Davison game. But it's back to the South Stand this Sunday for the first time since 1971 - I've managed to get hold of two tickets and my brother's coming up from London to sit with me. We'll be the ones with the enigmatic expressions when Brooks lobs their keeper for the injury-time winner.

Last edited:

Mine was United 2 Wednesday 3 on January 2, 1965. Reg Matthewson and Alan Birchenall our goalscorers in front of a 37190 crowd. I was on the Kop, at the front, aged 6. My recollection is very hazy but I seem to recall a sunny day with Wednesday's winner coming late on at the Bramall Lane end. Whoever scored it took it round Hodgy and slotted it home with a United defender running back and lunging to clear it off the line but only succeeding in lifting it into the roof of the net. .

Wendy's scorers were Johnny Fantham (2) and John Hickton

The first one I remember being at was Feb. 4 1967. We won 1-0 at home (Bill Punton) and I was stuck on John Street with an obnoxious little Wendy turd from school called 'Gabby' Lister which was soon changed to 'Gobby' because, like all Wendy fans, he was.
thumbnail_IMG_1523.jpg

Wendy's scorers were Johnny Fantham (2) and John Hickton

I'm 90% sure it was Fantham who got that winner. Fine player, he was. He scored Wednesday's goal in the 1968 game at Hillsborough which made him their top goalscorer since the War, overtaking Redfern Froggatt. He got a very warm ovation from the crowd.

The goal Sheridan scored in this game was a fantastic effort it has to be said,I also recall the 4,000 of us in the LLUT belting out the classic...He's fat he's round,he's taken Wednesday down,Big Fat Ron,Big Fat Ron

Played really well United,but ended up losing

Yeah it was a cracking game. Thought there were more than 4000 to be honest. Must be the highest attendance by far in that cup apart from the finals.

Yeah it was a cracking game. Thought there were more than 4000 to be honest. Must be the highest attendance by far in that cup apart from the finals.

I thought it was after the awful events of April 1989 and no United fans were on the lower tier or the open corner,just the upper?

Back
Top Bottom