'Memries' Music Sheffield United have run out to

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Going The Distance from the Rocky Soundtrack was a personal favourite of mine. Really pumped me up on match day for kidney punching disabled orphan puppies.

I'd meet my monthly quota in just a weekend thanks to that song.

Me memory not what it was but pretty sure in early 70's when TC came on pitch Limmie & the Family Cooking played You can do Magic.

Going The Distance from the Rocky Soundtrack was a personal favourite of mine. Really pumped me up on match day for kidney punching disabled orphan puppies.

I'd meet my monthly quota in just a weekend thanks to that song.

Interesting. While googling “We took Pelham”, I learned that it sampled “Going the distance”

They are very similar but which one was played at The Lane?

Both in different eras maybe?

Interesting. While googling “We took Pelham”, I learned that it sampled “Going the distance”

They are very similar but which one was played at The Lane?

Both in different eras maybe?

Maybe it was We Took Pelham that I was thinking about actually...

Tbh once that initial bell sounded through The Lane the red mist descended and my stomach was making the rumblies that only disabled oprhan puppy kidneys could satisfy so I couldn't keep concentration.

It's worth distinguishing between songs played before the match and songs played as the teams were coming out. The following are all songs I associate with the pre-match build-up but I don't think they were ever actually the music we came out to:

Tomoyasu Hotei - Battle Without Honour or Humanity
Da Hool - Love Parade (it's certainly been a pre-match tune in recent years, I don't rememeber the Bassett era well enough to say whether it was the music we came out to)
Darude - Sandstorm
Judas Priest - United
Sham 69 - If the Kids are United

This year we come out to Kasabian - Comeback Kid. Before that it was Kasabian - Club Foot.

My memory is that we didn't come out to the Star Wars theme for very long... but I'm damned if I can remember what it changed to/from.

We came out to Ian Brown - The Fear once a couple of years ago against Wednesday, but people generally thought it was a bit cringeworthy.

At other grounds, the best music I've heard clubs come out to was probably Prokofiev's Montagues And Capulets at Sunderland.

Edit: also worth mentioning that the impact/effect of the music has changed massively since they stoped players running out of the tunnel, and we do the anodyne handshake thing instead. Far less dramatic.
Good memory mate - though I'm sure we did used to run out to Judas Priest's "United"

We sometimes had one-off intro music as a type of self-deprecatory humour, such as Yazz's "The Only Way Is Up", when we were rock bottom of the old First Division. It did the trick, because I think we won that game.

1990-91, "Always look on the bright side of life" became more of an anthem, not sure they ran out to it. Certainly played it at the end of games up to December time when

PART TWO cocked that up---Cont.--- the first win came. Good the club could laugh at it's self at quite a fraught time. Sure it helped calm the tension enabling the turn round in December for the first win.

My first memories of the Blades run out music was "On Ilkley Moor Bah t' at". I don't remember them running out to a brass band, although I do remember us having brass bands occasionally at the lane, but I think that was more for half-time entertainment. I'd never heard of Joan Hinde tbh, but I looked it up out of curiosity and see that she was originally from Eckington! I grew up in Eckington as a kid, but I don't recall ever hearing about her before. There weren't many lady folk of Eckington who would know what to do with a cornet, although the majority of them were adept with a bowl of ice-cream and Askey's wafers, when the ice cream van came around.

View attachment 73982
Still remember Ikly moor like yesterday, when i 1st went to the lane. Dj Ian Ramsey was the man, playing Arsenal in league cup match and news going around that God had an injury and would be missing, apparently dropped some boiling water on his foot in the kitchen at home the previous night. Ilkley moor started up necks strained looking at the tunnel as the team ran out and the roar went up as the blonde genius ran out last, of course we won, i think 2-0 great memories.👍

Still remember Ikly moor like yesterday, when i 1st went to the lane. Dj Ian Ramsey was the man, playing Arsenal in league cup match and news going around that God had an injury and would be missing, apparently dropped some boiling water on his foot in the kitchen at home the previous night. Ilkley moor started up necks strained looking at the tunnel as the team ran out and the roar went up as the blonde genius ran out last, of course we won, i think 2-0 great memories.👍
Not long before the kick off, the spectators who got in the ground early saw John Harris giving TC a fitness test behind the Lane End goal. He was given a ball and had to prove that he had no problems running with the ball at his feet.

I heard he had to have 2 pain killing injections before the game, legend.

It's worth distinguishing between songs played before the match and songs played as the teams were coming out. The following are all songs I associate with the pre-match build-up but I don't think they were ever actually the music we came out to:

Tomoyasu Hotei - Battle Without Honour or Humanity
Da Hool - Love Parade (it's certainly been a pre-match tune in recent years, I don't rememeber the Bassett era well enough to say whether it was the music we came out to)
Darude - Sandstorm
Judas Priest - United
Sham 69 - If the Kids are United

This year we come out to Kasabian - Comeback Kid. Before that it was Kasabian - Club Foot.

My memory is that we didn't come out to the Star Wars theme for very long... but I'm damned if I can remember what it changed to/from.

We came out to Ian Brown - The Fear once a couple of years ago against Wednesday, but people generally thought it was a bit cringeworthy.

At other grounds, the best music I've heard clubs come out to was probably Prokofiev's Montagues And Capulets at Sunderland.

Edit: also worth mentioning that the impact/effect of the music has changed massively since they stoped players running out of the tunnel, and we do the anodyne handshake thing instead. Far less dramatic.
Agree with the Sunderland music, real hairs on the back of the neck when you hear it especially in the days when the Stadium of Light was full

Thank you for commenting and sharing your memories. It's much appreciated and is invaluable to the project. As a softie southerner I did need to translate On Ilkey Moor!

We're still on the lookout for songs, so if anyone remembers anymore, or can confirm other suggestions, drop us a line.

If you remember roughly what season the tune was likely used even better!

Cheers,

Joe

Before my time as a few have said on Ilkley moor bar tat in the 60s and 70s, however I seem to remember they brought it back for the 4th Division champion season 81-82.

In 99 the fans voted on the song to run out to and If the kids are united by sham 69 won it, then Colin turned up and the song was dropped

Sometime in the early 70s it was "Rose Garden" by Lynn Anderson.

Back
Top Bottom