'Memries' Music Sheffield United have run out to

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

joeheadland

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I hope this okay to post here, please move/delete if you need to!

I’m part of a team at the University of Sheffield, led by Dr Chris Stride. We've published a number of academic papers and magazine articles relating to football history, on subjects such as statues and replica shirts (see, for example sportingstatues.com, and https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17460263.2019.1578255).

Our current project is investigating the music that football teams have run or walked out of the tunnel to over the years. We have a few questions that we hope you may be able to answer regarding the music Sheffield United have used.

As far as I'm aware, at the moment it's 'Comeback Kid' by Kasabian, before the 'Greasy Chip Butty Song' starts? Is this correct?

Can any of you remember any other tracks? Can you tell us the artist, the song title, and roughly what season you think it was used in please?

And if you have any personal anecdotes around the reasons for the songs being used, or the changes between them, that would also be fantastic.

I should also add that we are not interested in goal music, or a song
that is played at the final whistle, but just the song that is on the
tannoy system as the players enter the field.

If you think someone else may be able to help, or you have any
questions, please let us know! We would be very happy to discuss the
project. Thank you very much for your help here.

Regards

Joe Headland

For Neil Warnock (this is as I remember it, I'll let someone else correct me), it was Star Wars theme that the players ran out to. Then Tom Hark for the goal celebrations.

My earliest memories which would have been around the time of Dave Bassett was Meet Her At The Love Parade (Da Hool) but that might have just been as the teams were being announced.

Then I moved to Canada in 2006 and I have no idea anymore. :)

I go back to the late 60s when the theme to DrZhivago was always played. Not sure if that was just at half time though. (Somewhere my love)

It's worth distinguishing between songs played before the match and songs played as the teams were coming out. The following are all songs I associate with the pre-match build-up but I don't think they were ever actually the music we came out to:

Tomoyasu Hotei - Battle Without Honour or Humanity
Da Hool - Love Parade (it's certainly been a pre-match tune in recent years, I don't rememeber the Bassett era well enough to say whether it was the music we came out to)
Darude - Sandstorm
Judas Priest - United
Sham 69 - If the Kids are United

This year we come out to Kasabian - Comeback Kid. Before that it was Kasabian - Club Foot.

My memory is that we didn't come out to the Star Wars theme for very long... but I'm damned if I can remember what it changed to/from.

We came out to Ian Brown - The Fear once a couple of years ago against Wednesday, but people generally thought it was a bit cringeworthy.

At other grounds, the best music I've heard clubs come out to was probably Prokofiev's Montagues And Capulets at Sunderland.

Edit: also worth mentioning that the impact/effect of the music has changed massively since they stoped players running out of the tunnel, and we do the anodyne handshake thing instead. Far less dramatic.

Last edited:
There was a brief period in the 2004-05 season of about 6 months where we came out to Gold digger by Kanye West. In terms of the anecdote: our then owner Kevin McCabe had separated from his latest baby momma, Shinae, and was using his position to basically tell her to f-off.

At other grounds, the best music I've heard clubs come out to was probably Prokofiev's Montagues And Capulets at Sunderland.

I was going to mention exactly the same thing. Would have been 97/98ish, they'd just moved into their new stadium, and it made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up when that started.

We came out to an instrumental loop of the opening of GnR Sweet Child O’ Mine the season we got relegated from the Championship

I wish we would run out to this version of Mr Brightside :
we now know where the Kerryman in Mr Egan got his inspiration for Allez Allez

Think Simply the Best would have been early era Warnock – I’d estimate 99/00 till 01/02 max.

I think the Star Wars theme followed straight after ditching Tina, and in contrast to Cassius Kray I thought we used this for quite a long time, multiple seasons – all through the remaining Warnock years and for some time post-Warnock. In fact we tried other songs and then went back to it – there was a briefly used rockier version of WWE Kurt Angle’s entry music (which had been tried in WWE but dropped for the original version) which lasted a match or two till Star Wars returned. I would estimate that was either towards the first month or two of either the 03/04 or 04/05 seasons.

Did we ever run out to the Professionals theme, or was that just goal music?

A mid 90s one - Lightening Seeds - Life of Riley.

Da Hool - Love Parade was never used for the teams coming out and wasn't realeased until 1997 so was never Bassett era.

We also ran out to some horrific wrestling music a few years ago and that was dreadful.

I was going to mention exactly the same thing. Would have been 97/98ish, they'd just moved into their new stadium, and it made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up when that started.
Again, they never ran out to it - just played pre match. In that period they ran out to 'Ready to Go' by Republica.

Don't know why I remember this useless shit.

Again, they never ran out to it - just played pre match. In that period they ran out to 'Ready to Go' by Republica.

Don't know why I remember this useless shit.

Good memory and correct now I come to remember it! It was the direct prelude to the players coming out to ramp up the tension and then launched straight into Ready to Go as the players walked out (which seemed to remove some of that tension).

there was a briefly used rockier version of WWE Kurt Angle’s entry music (which had been tried in WWE but dropped for the original version) which lasted a match or two till Star Wars returned. I would estimate that was either towards the first month or two of either the 03/04 or 04/05 seasons.

Corroboration on 04/05 for the failed Angle experiment.

Anyone remember in 04/05 the first home game of the season against Stoke when the teams came out to Kurt Angle from WWE's theme?? That was ridiculous!!

I'm sure there are members on here. like me, who's first memories of music at The Lane was the brass band. They stood close to the players entrance and included a female cornet player, Joan Hind, who was quite famous late 40's early 50's. On radio and even variety theatres she appeared in. Afraid I don't know which band it was or the music they played, mainly marches but I recon 'Ilkley Moor' could have figured. Any one recall which band it was?

For Neil Warnock (this is as I remember it, I'll let someone else correct me), it was Star Wars theme that the players ran out to. Then Tom Hark for the goal celebrations.

My earliest memories which would have been around the time of Dave Bassett was Meet Her At The Love Parade (Da Hool) but that might have just been as the teams were being announced.

Then I moved to Canada in 2006 and I have no idea anymore. :)

Love Parade was the "countdown to kick off" music I think?

Think Simply the Best would have been early era Warnock – I’d estimate 99/00 till 01/02 max.

I think the Star Wars theme followed straight after ditching Tina, and in contrast to Cassius Kray I thought we used this for quite a long time, multiple seasons – all through the remaining Warnock years and for some time post-Warnock. In fact we tried other songs and then went back to it – there was a briefly used rockier version of WWE Kurt Angle’s entry music (which had been tried in WWE but dropped for the original version) which lasted a match or two till Star Wars returned. I would estimate that was either towards the first month or two of either the 03/04 or 04/05 seasons.

Did we ever run out to the Professionals theme, or was that just goal music?

IIRC The Professionals was the goal music?

Did we come out to that Section 60 Champions of the Underdog tune that was played at the Lane quite frequently for a period?

Assume the OP is researching both Sheffield clubs, in which case he may be interested to know that "the Owls" used to come out to "the birdie song" for years - and all their fans used to do this little dance as well.

I'm sure there are members on here. like me, who's first memories of music at The Lane was the brass band. They stood close to the players entrance and included a female cornet player, Joan Hind, who was quite famous late 40's early 50's. On radio and even variety theatres she appeared in. Afraid I don't know which band it was or the music they played, mainly marches but I recon 'Ilkley Moor' could have figured. Any one recall which band it was?

My first memories of the Blades run out music was "On Ilkley Moor Bah t' at". I don't remember them running out to a brass band, although I do remember us having brass bands occasionally at the lane, but I think that was more for half-time entertainment. I'd never heard of Joan Hinde tbh, but I looked it up out of curiosity and see that she was originally from Eckington! I grew up in Eckington as a kid, but I don't recall ever hearing about her before. There weren't many lady folk of Eckington who would know what to do with a cornet, although the majority of them were adept with a bowl of ice-cream and Askey's wafers, when the ice cream van came around.

1584382460611.png

Back
Top Bottom