Most powerful Blades Player Shot

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I can remember a spectator in a Watneys Cup match, being on the receiving end off a Woody thunderbolt. He’s probably the only spectator I’ve seen “stretchered off”

Baldock’s volley. Don’t think there’s even a clean video of it, was that hard

I think Matthews scored a beauty from 25 yards in a match at the Lane around 1980, a 3-3 draw if I remember correctly.

Agree Woodward had superb timing on his shot, often seemed to hit it so sweetly.
Even Woodwards corners were like shots ha ha.

Another player from a few years later.
I remember when we signed him the media said he was famed for having a really hard shot.

Anyone remember John Mathews, think we bought him from Arsenal.
Famed as being our regular penalty taker but refused to take the injury time penalty at home to Walsall which would keep us up.
Was there that game on kop, truly bottled it.

Yes, Matthews did not take the penalty kick. but why didn't Martin Peters sub for him for Kenworthy was on the bench? I was on the Kop for that game as well.

Didn't Steve "Stigger" Foley have a decent shot on him? Looked up his stats and he got 18 goals over two seasons from midfield which is decent.

Woody no contest ,but ched could strike a ball unfortunately it was chained to his ankle

Quite a few Blades a lot older than me told me that Fred Tunstall had a powerful shot and his crossing was hard too. Jock Dodds was also mentioned to have a hard shot. My dad mentioned Colin Collindridge and Ronnie Simpson but to him Woody's was the most powerful. I agree with him about Woody being the best , also TC wasnt far behind, others I like to mention are John Matthews, John Ryan, Martin Kuhl, Tri Dellas and Dave Unsworth

Fleck’s name in there?
Hell of a hit for the opener on bouncing day

Was there that game on kop, truly bottled it.

I missed it, that season I was a paper boy and only went to the night matches.
Remember seeing us beat Huddersfield with Curran scoring for us in early season.

Also remember after the Walsall being in Woolworths checking teletext on my way back from delivering the papers.
Wasn't the slightest bit concerned we'd be relegated.
Think Swindon needed to win and 2 other teams who had been losing all season needed to avoid defeat.
Oh and we were playing a real poor team in Walsall who were below us in the league.

Actually that season we were mid table almost all season and never near the relegation zone until the very end.
Found it hard to believe we'd been relegated to division 4.
However div 4 turned into a fantastic season. ..some great memories.
We were the Man Utd of the division and almost every club had their biggest gate when they played us.

Alan Woodward, and he's also the best corner taker I've ever seen

Woody. Hard, accurate and consistent. No contest.

A mention for Ched. Danny Wilson once called him the cannon ball kid. He had a great hard shot with a short trigger to catch the keeper off guard. That's a sign of a great striker, just finding those extra margins that make the difference.

Back
Top Bottom