Mick Rooker 20 years at the Lane ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

John C is a nice person, I’ve always had a good laugh with him and he’s very reliable when arranging or doing anything for you. I don’t know why some people are saying these things. He’s a blade just like us ⚔🍺
I’ve travelled all round the country with him over the years watching United. He doesn’t toady up to people which is possibly why some people don’t like him but he’s a Blade and he's very dedicated to the supporting the club.

A true gentleman, always helpful and in my case for arranging the scattering of my father's ashes within the ground. Thanks Mick and I hope you enjoy a long and happy retirement!

Best wishes in your well earned retirement Rooks. I shall never forget when you managed to arrange tickets on behalf of 3 FC Köln Fans who I met whilst (pissed up) on a stag do in Cologne.
I was with mostly Bradford City and Leeds fans, but there was Also me and Col, a Wednesday fan. Arriving on the Friday night, we went to a pub full of Köln fans singing and standing on tables after their draw that evening. Col and I took our position on opposite sides of the (big) pub and proceeded to sing our teams songs at each other as we often did (for a laugh 'n' that! ) when in pubs full of other teams fans. Naturally, I outsang him and afterwards a few Köln lads came to Chat with us about our teams. Email addresses were exchanged and I told them if they were ever in Sheffield, they should come to a game at Bramall Lane.

Much later I received a message informing me they were coming to the UK and could I get them tickets for a game as promised for the weekend we just happened to be playing SWFC at home. This was when you had to buy tickets for the 2 previous home games to be assured of a ticket for the derby.

I emailed Mick explaining my predicament, and he came good with 3 tickets on the Kop for them. I met them before and after the game and I know that visit had a profound effect on them, resulting in them to this day holding the Blades as their second team.

When gratefully collecting the tickets from Mick prior to the game he said to me "My dad always told me" if you can do something nice for someone & it doesn't negatively affect you , just do it " so I do". Those words have stayed to me to this day.

If one person epitomises the positive face of Sheffield United FC, then in my opinion it is you. Thanks for everything you have done for everyone in your roles at Bramall Lane.
You sir, (and your dad with his wise words) are a true gent.

UTB

I had one interaction with Mick when he arranged for my Dad’s ashes to be buried just off the pitch in front of our seats in the JSS, our preferred option of centre circle no longer being available for health and safety reasons.

Nothing too remarkable about that, but our small ceremony was done on the Friday, the day before the Liverpool game in August 2006, when I could imagine he and the groundsman had a lot bigger things to worry about than digging a small hole and filling it in after, but they did.

Mick made himself available to ensure everything was in order and I took the opportunity to ask him about his tiling and grouting skills, a gag that started on VP I think based on him being able to turn his hand to anything. He said that in real life he was the world’s worst DIYer and seemed a bit bemused as to why he was in demand for home improvements 🙂

I thanked him on the day for his help, but no harm in doing so again and I wish him a long and happy retirement.

Congratulations on 32 years at the Lane ... one of the good guys at the Lane ... enjoy your retirement Mick UTB

Happy retirement Rooks and thank you for your incredible service and devotion to the Blades over many years.

I am not sure if he will be happy about me reminding him how he told me before the start of the 2007/08 season that he was very confident about Bryan Robson taking us back to the top flight!

Rooks A true gentleman and a star. He went out of his way to lay on some treats on for me and my daughters when my wife died and it was truly appreciated. Always great to have a chat when visiting the lane. Here's to a happy and long retirement with lots of travel and lots of music.

Back
Top Bottom