Memries of Wolves

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
Right, we've beaten those cunts, just another 3 points and we move on (just make sure we limit their tickets on Jan. 13 to around 1,000, charge the cunts £60 and let them know what 'hostile' really means).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In another of an occasional look at our upcoming opponents, what memries have we got of Wolves? I must admit, they’re few and far between as the Black Country is the land that time forgot (think Steve Bull and Slade). However, two games stand out for me.

May 9th, 1989 and we met Wolves in the third tier. Wolves were runaway champions and the Blades under Dave Bassett would join them in the second tier. A lovely early spring evening saw both teams conspire to share the spoils in a 2-2 draw (Stancliffe and Agana scoring for the Blades). The following season would see us sail straight through the second tier and straight into the top flight (déjà vu, anybody?) The only memory I have of a tame match was when the ref. blew up for a foul with a couple of minutes left. Our full-back – Martin Pike – thought it was the final whistle, threw his boots into the crowd and played the last few minutes of the game in his socks!

Fast forward to May 26th, 2003 and the denouement of the ‘Triple Assault’ season – a season that saw us reach both the FA Cup Semi-Final (v. Arsenal at Old Trafford) and League (Worthington) Cup Semi-Final (v. Liverpool). We were in the final of the second-tier play-offs to reach the Premier League and met Wolves at Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium. Once again, a no-show by the Blades saw our thousands of fans head home in despair after a 0-3 defeat. In the run up to the game, manager Neil Warnock had a falling out with effective but limited striker Dean Windass which meant he wasn’t available for selection. The only other moment of note was when United were awarded a penalty and the taker – Michael Brown – placed it in exactly the same spot he’d placed every penalty he took that season. Obviously, the Wolves goalie had done his homework and easily saved the spot kick.

Any more?

4 for me ,one of my neighbours was a bigwig at BOC and asked me to go in their box at Molineux back in 2002 ,we were right up against the stand to the left as the players come out. we went 1-0 down and I realised I was the only blade ,straight after half time Tonge equalised and I stifled a 'get in' but a few noticed ,2 minutes later I couldn't help myself when Chief scored and I jumped up ,got quite a few nasty looks ,then bloody Tonge only scored another a few minutes later and I was up ,the Utd players celebrated in front of where I was and Michael Boulding actually acknowledged me I like to think. The natives were restless and I had to endure 'wanker' chants and about 2 k fans shouting you fat bastard ,even though I didn't think I was either. A security man came and asked me to not antagonise them anymore ,and luckily there were no more goals.
Year after I returned the favour and hired a box at the lane ,it was a brilliant 3-3 draw, we equalised in injury time.
Another year we were out in town on a Friday night before playing Wolves at the Lane on Saturday and we bumped into Steve Bull with Wolves kit man in the 3 tuns. we got talking to him ,one of the nicest blokes Ive ever met ,they ended up staying with us all night and we finished up in josephines ,he had failed a fitness test but had travelled up anyway. He bought most of the drinks and we were all slaughtered ,he left with a proper 2 oclocker. Next day he was sat on Wolves bench and took some stick off a couple of my mates who go on the South stand all in good fun. Loved that bloke even though he fucked us over a few times.
The one at their place when we both went up , a very good friend of mine Phil who sadly died a few years ago managed to get Deanos shirt ,he never washed it and it stunk awful. I presume one of his brothers has it now.

Apart from the game at Cardiff in 2003 I recall from memory just two other games, both at The Lane:

(1) a dreadful game which we lost 1-4 back in the seventies.

(2) the 3-3 draw mentioned above. Was that the game when Nilsen gave away a penalty that cost us the game?

2-0 loss in league one to end our incredible winning run under Clough. Otherwise the only other memorable game for all the wrong reasons is the obvious one.

A memorable 2-1 at their place, Keith Curle scored a late, late equaliser from the penalty spot, we were down to 10 men and Katchuro banged in the winner about 4 mins into injury time.

Loved this game as I saw it as sweet revenge for a match at Molineux over Christmas in I think our 1st season back down in the the 2nd tier under Bassett. We were 2 nil up through Blake going into injury time when they scored a Penalty them equilised a minute later through a Neil Emblem looping header. I was a totally gutted 16 year old so it was sweet when we did almost exactly the same to them.

it was a brilliant 3-3 draw

Was this the one on the run up to the playoffs where both sides rested players? Pesch scored a cracker.

There was another crazy 3 all under Bassett - may have been the return fixture from the 2 all I mentioned. We were awdul at the back with Blount and Foran out of their depth but Jostein Flo got an injury time winner.

Had some great games against Wolves but they are always tough opponents.

Some videos of games mentioned.

The 3 all I think Sitters was talking about featuring a Pesch cracker:

The 2-2 that got us promotion featuring a then dump called Molineux.

The 2-2 that I hated, featuring a dive by Don Goodman.

The other crazy 3 all - featuring the spit on Graham Taylor.

I was at Molineux for a 2-2 draw the year we both went up under Bassett It could have been a midweek game but with the memory going all I can remember is being 1-0 down then scoring 2 goals in quick succession. We were stood on the big end next to their fans and no sooner had we stopped jumping up and down the terrace after the first goal we scored again. It seemed like 5 mins of constant jumping around, nearly died of a heart attack.

Back in the day I remember one of our Players once clattering through the back of Steve Bull, a furious Bull got to his feet ready to confront said player until he turned around, realised it was Billy Whitehurst, and ran away!

I can remember the 3-3 draw in about 1995. I went with a group of mates from Chapeltown. I was only 16-17 at the time and a couple of pissed up Wolves fans started giving us some grief near the station. One of them was being a proper cunt and threatening to leather us. He pushed me in the chest and I turn round and flattened him with a 1-2-3-4 boxing combination, the 4th one was an upper cut to the jaw and nearly took his head off. As a grown up now I don’t like violence as it doesn’t provide an ample solution to any given situation but that day the bloke got dispensed a bit of restorative justice when he thought he would be the tough guy by trying to bully a group of teenagers and schoolchildren.

I can remember the 3-3 draw in about 1995. I went with a group of mates from Chapeltown. I was only 16-17 at the time and a couple of pissed up Wolves fans started giving us some grief near the station. One of them was being a proper cunt and threatening to leather us. He pushed me in the chest and I turn round and flattened him with a 1-2-3-4 boxing combination, the 4th one was an upper cut to the jaw and nearly took his head off. As a grown up now I don’t like violence as it doesn’t provide an ample solution to any given situation but that day the bloke got dispensed a bit of restorative justice when he thought he would be the tough guy by trying to bully a group of teenagers and schoolchildren.

BDDF11FF-A796-4EC9-A371-1F79F8762AFE.jpeg

The 2-2 that got

The 2-2 that got us promotion featuring a then dump called Molineux.

The 2-2 that I hated, featuring a dive by Don Goodman.

The other crazy 3 all - featuring the spit on Graham Taylor.

A Goodman dive? Then the Taylor spitting incident. I get the feeling Goodman dislikes us. I bet it goes back to that season.

Was that the game Graham Taylor was spat on by United fans?

Mid 80's, driving home from work Saturday dinner time, at Mary's gate and bramall lane was just a sea of bodies laid out all over, fans jumping over top of cars to get at each other

Always like to see threads by Grafikhous bumped.

Back
Top Bottom