Memries of Wolves - Pt. 2

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
upload_2018-2-1_5-29-26.png

Memries of Wolves

Yet again, our very first League meeting with Wolves came in 1893:

upload_2018-2-1_5-29-59.png

This means that – in recent weeks – we have played eight of the 15 teams (not including the Blades) from that very early season. Above is the final table for the 1893-94 season.

We last met Wolves at Bramall Lane in The Championship on Saturday 27th September, 2017. Conor Coady was sent off after 15 minutes for the visitors and Leon Clarke scored a goal in each half to secure a deserved 2-0 win for the Blades.

Our recent-ish meetings are:

upload_2018-2-1_5-30-43.png

Full Blades v Wolves history

On 22nd March, 2014 United played their 125th Anniversary game v Wolves at Bramall Lane. Despite United having a run of seven wins and one draw in the eight previous games, Wolves prevailed here 0-2 with goals in each half. Wolves would easily win the Division One Championship a few weeks later, finishing on 103 points – ahead of second-placed Brentford with 94 points. United finished in seventh place (67 points, missing out on the play-offs.

United had – on paper – a very strong team for the Wolves game:

upload_2018-2-1_5-33-46.png

However, this was not translated to our league form but Nigel Clough’s team did reach the Semi-Final of the FA Cup a few weeks later.

On 28th September, 2013 The Blades lost 0-2 at Molineux in a third-tier game.

On 25th November, 2008 Wolves triumphed 1-3 at Bramall Lane in a Championship game. Kevin Blackwell’s Blades would end the season in third place before losing in the play-off Final at Wembley to Burnley. Featuring for Wolves that night were Neill Collins and Richard Stearman.

Undoubtedly our biggest meeting with Wolves came on 26th May, 2003. This was the play-off final held at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff as the new Wembley was under construction. Coming at the end of the 2002/03 ‘Triple Assault’ season, United would reach the FA Cup Semi-Final, League Cup Semi-Final and this play-off final – losing each game. This Wolves game was particularly disappointing as United never ‘turned up’, and lost this game 0-3.

Just before our meeting in the play-off final in Cardiff in 2003, the Blades played out an entertaining 3-3 draw* at Bramall Lane:

Give me five minutes (only five video clips per post) and I’ll be back with the rest! :)

On 24th January, 1997 United lost 2-3 at home to Wolves in the third tier with both our goals coming from White.

On January 2nd, 1995 Dave Bassett’s Blades drew 2-2 at Wolves. 0-0 at half-time, two goals from Nathan Blake put the Blades firmly in control until two late Wolves goals levelled the score:

The same 3-3 scoreline occurred on 22nd April, 1995. Look out for the ‘no-man’s land’ on the John Street side of the pitch prior to the construction of the John Street stand:

*A similarly-manufactured result happened on a glorious sunlit evening on 9th May, 1989 where United and Wolves played a ‘decider’ for who would take the third-tier championship. (It wasn’t, really. With just one game of the season remaining for both clubs after this clash, Wolves would finish on 92 points and United on 84. Manager Dave Bassett had arrived on 21st January 1988 but could not arrest United’s slide, and we were relegated to the third tier. There, we immediately got promotion back to Division Two, before getting a second-consecutive promotion back to the top tier.

This game ended in a mutually-acceptable 2-2 draw which can be seen by the way United celebrated at the final whistle. Memries of this game? West Midlands Police were their usual thuggish self – battering and/or arresting any Blades fan who dared tried to get a chant going. And, a couple of minutes before the end of the game, the ref. blew for a free kick and United’s Martin Pike – thinking it was the final whistle – took his boots off and threw them into the crowd, playing out the remaining time in his stockinged feet!

On 28th January 1950 The Blades travelled to a snow-bound Molineux to play in the Fourth Round of The FA Cup. The match ended 0-0 before Wolves won the replay at Bramall Lane four days later 3-4 with Harold Brook scoring a hat-trick for United. One for Silent Blade? This clip shows Jimmy Hagan and the Wolves captain Stan Cullis tossing the coin before the Molineux game, yet according to the Denis Clarebrough ‘Sheffield United-The Complete Record’ book, Hagan didn’t play in either Wolves game. Thoughts?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To date, our League results against Wolves read:

Home: P: 49 W: 25 D: 16 L: 8 F: 100 A: 68

Away: P: 48 W: 10 D: 17 L: 21 F: 57 A: 90

With just 17 games left of the season, Wolves look unassailable for both automatic promotion and as Champions. United, however, look extremely vulnerable to a rapid slide down to mid-table.

Wolves have had a ‘money no object’ transfer policy. They’ve also rushed through a loan deal for Bournemouth’s Benik Afobe just before the transfer deadline on January 31st.

upload_2018-2-1_5-43-51.png

Form Guide: Wolves currently sit in fifth place in the form guide, and United are in twelfth.

upload_2018-2-1_5-45-4.png

Full table

upload_2018-2-1_5-45-55.png

upload_2018-2-1_5-46-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-1_5-40-6.png
    upload_2018-2-1_5-40-6.png
    49.2 KB · Views: 1
This Saturday will be my 5th visit to Molineux. Saw us win by 2-1 in April 1972 (Dearden, TC) and in October 1989 (Rostron, Gannon), drew 1-1 in March 1973 (Bone) and 2-2 in May 1989 (Stancliffe, Agana) so hope I will still have an unbeaten record there. The 2-1 win in April 1972 was the last game of the season and it was played on a Friday night which is unusual for playing your last game of the season and I cannot remember why it was played on a Friday

I took my then wife down to watch us at Wolves in about 1996. Got to the ground quite early and parked in a £3 all day car park near to the ground. Had my Blades shirt on in full view and thought nothing of going in "The Wanderer" pub right at the side of the ground. There was hardly anyone in when we got there, so ordered some food, got a couple of pints and went into the back room. After finishing lunch, went back to the bar to get another beer only to met by a sea of amber and black shirts! Very calmly got a pint and went back to my seat but did attract quite a bit of attention!

We were poor and lost the game 1-0.

I remember the cops were very organised at moving traffic after the game and we got back to Sheffield very quickly.

I remember my brother punching a hole in the living room door when Wolves equalized with an 89th minute penalty in 96, only for Katchouro to go up the other end and make it 2-1 a minute later. :)

I remember my brother punching a hole in the living room door when Wolves equalized with an 89th minute penalty in 96, only for Katchouro to go up the other end and make it 2-1 a minute later. :)
My first day at Uni that, remember it well! I'd wager that if anyone had the time to work it out, the proportion of late goals (last 5 mins) in SUFC matches over the last 25 years would be higher v Wolves than any other team. They turned the tables on us that very season, Steve fecking Bull!

I remember what should be the most unmemorable game vs Wolves. 0-0 August 1997.

Couple of weeks into the Spackman era. Robbie Keane played. It was hot.

The end.

Great match, I believe we had Taylor sent off aswell which made the win even sweeter.

This Saturday will be my 5th visit to Molineux. Saw us win by 2-1 in April 1972 (Dearden, TC) and in October 1989 (Rostron, Gannon), drew 1-1 in March 1973 (Bone) and 2-2 in May 1989 (Stancliffe, Agana) so hope I will still have an unbeaten record there. The 2-1 win in April 1972 was the last game of the season and it was played on a Friday night which is unusual for playing your last game of the season and I cannot remember why it was played on a Friday
I was there too,I think it was because Wolves were in the Uefa Cup that it was played on the Friday to give them time to prepare.

Sssshhh tempting fate there Silent !!! All being well this will be my fifth visit to Molineux on Saturday, full day on the beer owt could happen! Similar to you did the two in '89, also went first game 84-85 season, it was the Doc's (Tommy Docherty) first game in charge of them and a very young Tim Flowers made his debut for them in goal, if I remember correctly, we were 2-0 down at half time but two second half Keith Edwards goals got United a point (got it in my head they were both from free kicks, at least one was).

I was there too,I think it was because Wolves were in the Uefa Cup that it was played on the Friday to give them time to prepare.
Ah, this makes sense. That night Wolves fans were booing David Wagstaffe every time he touched the ball which surprised me because I thought he looked decent when I watched Wolves on MOTD. Ten days after the match, Wolves destroyed L**ds hopes of doing the double by beating them 2-1. Below is the photo of Derby players celebrating on winning the League
ea385669e03054d866d88355e80cf30b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom