Memries of Newcastle

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
After our fine point at Wolves and Newcastle being largely successfully in negating Manchester City’s attacking play in a 2-2 home draw at the weekend, we welcome (?) Steve Bruce’s Newcastle to The Lane for our first meeting in almost ten years – a 1-2 defeat at St. James’s Park in the Championship:

Recent Blades games against The Magpies:

1575286599306.png

Full history Sheffield United v Newcastle United:

Complete League record v. Newcastle United

Home: P: 54 W: 33 D: 13 L: 8 F: 99 A: 51
Away: P: 54 W: 10 D: 13 L: 31 F: 55 A: 109

The Premier League Table* and Premier League Form Guide* do not include the full Premier League program played between Tuesday 3rd December and Thursday 5th December on Amazon.

Not many video clips from our games against The Magpies. We won our last Premier League game at St. James’s Park on 4th November 2006 (non-English dubbed commentary):

On 30th April 1994, we beat The Magpies 2-0 at Bramall Lane in the Premier League:

Probably our most significant ‘recent’ game with Newcastle came in the 0-1 FA Cup semi-final defeat at Old Trafford on 5th April, 1998. Our manager for this game was Steve Thompson who would be replaced two months later by…Steve Bruce:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------continued>>>​

In the interests of fairness, here’s The Massive playing at Newcastle on 19th September 1999. So that’s why everybody wants Wednesday back in the PL!

Premier League Table*:

Our draw at Wolves sees us slip to 7th place.

1575286788045.png

Latest Premier League Table*:

Form Guide*:

Six games unbeaten (last defeat on 28th September v. Liverpool) sees us in a healthy position in the Form Guide (Newcastle are 9th with eight points from the last 18).

1575286811601.png

Latest Premier League Form Guide*:

Top Scorers:

Despite having – on paper – a strong attacking line-up, only Joelinton (one goal) has scored for The Magpies in attack so far this season out of their thirteen goals…

1575286842512.png

Men to Watch:

With Jamaal Lascelles out injured, Newcastle will look to the following for inspiration:

From left: This summer, Newcastle announced the signing of the Hoffenheim striker Joelinton for a club-record fee, believed to be in the region of £40m. On 12 January 2016, Newcastle United announced they had signed Jonjo Shelvey from Swansea City on a five-and-a-half-year deal, for a reported fee of £12 million. Yet to score for the Magpies, the exciting midfielder Allan Saint-Maximin (substituted against Man. City) arrived from Nice in a £16.5million deal and signed a six-year contract in August 2019. He will wear the number 10 shirt at Newcastle this season. Reported Manchester United target Sean Longstaff is a Geordie-born 22-year old midfielder with a bright future in front of him.

newcastle3.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------continued>>>

The Manager:

Serial-quitter Steve Bruce has walked out or been sacked from Sheffield United, Huddersfield, Wigan Athletic, Crystal Palace, Birmingham, Wigan Athletic (again), Sunderland, Aston Villa and Wednesday.

1575286961881.png
Here Bruce is seen pondering his next compensation cheque before some other mugs hire him.

The Manager:

Serial-quitter Steve Bruce has walked out or been sacked from Sheffield United, Huddersfield, Wigan Athletic, Crystal Palace, Birmingham, Wigan Athletic (again), Sunderland, Aston Villa and Wednesday.

View attachment 65804
Here Bruce is seen pondering his next compensation cheque before some other mugs hire him.
Is he Big Ron in disguise?

1st March 1947, 1st division Blades lose 2-0 at home to 2nd division Newcastle in the FA Cup 6th round. Look at the snow on the cricket pitch area. The 1947 freeze lasted from late January to mid March.

1st March 1947, 1st division Blades lose 2-0 at home to 2nd division Newcastle in the FA Cup 6th round. Look at the snow on the cricket pitch area. The 1947 freeze lasted from late January to mid March.

Just look at that crowd at The Valley. I remember climbing to the top of that terrace, you could see for miles.

Newcastle 0-1 Blades last time we were in the Premier League with an unwell Webber scoring from a Nick Montgomery cross was my favourite away game for many a year. Great fun travelling with fellow Blades on the train, fantastic atmosphere in the God's at St. James' Park and away wins were at a premium that season so it felt vital.

Looks like a spectacular goal by sub David Ford when we beat them 1-0 in April 1972. He looped a bouncing ball over McFaul's desparing dive. 20191203_215759.jpg

Looks like a spectacular goal by sub David Ford when we beat them 1-0 in April 1972. He looped a bouncing ball over McFaul's desparing dive. View attachment 65899

I don't know if it was this game, but I remember a home game v Newcastle in the early 1970's. They had a large number of their fans on our kop and there was quite a bit of aggro. The Newcastle fans had brought bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale into the ground with them. They were supping the beer then throwing the empty bottles up at the kop roof so that they smashed and rained broken glass on our fans. This wasn't an unusual tactic back in the 1970's. Fans used to throw sharpened up coins at each other as well. Oh and of course, just about every fan threw a bog roll onto the pitch at some point or other. I remember nicking them from the school toilets to take with me to the match - they were ideal to "unfurl" as the team ran out.

That goalie's first name was "Iam". I always thought that was a bit odd - in fact I thought they'd spelled "Ian" wrong - maybe the baptising Priest had a speech impediment? I think this was possibly back in the days of players like Wynn Davies as well. He was one of the best headers of a ball I ever saw - and even better, I had him several times as swops on the bubbly gum cards.;)

I don't know if it was this game, but I remember a home game v Newcastle in the early 1970's. They had a large number of their fans on our kop and there was quite a bit of aggro. The Newcastle fans had brought bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale into the ground with them. They were supping the beer then throwing the empty bottles up at the kop roof so that they smashed and rained broken glass on our fans. This wasn't an unusual tactic back in the 1970's. Fans used to throw sharpened up coins at each other as well. Oh and of course, just about every fan threw a bog roll onto the pitch at some point or other. I remember nicking them from the school toilets to take with me to the match - they were ideal to "unfurl" as the team ran out.

That goalie's first name was "Iam". I always thought that was a bit odd - in fact I thought they'd spelled "Ian" wrong - maybe the baptising Priest had a speech impediment? I think this was possibly back in the days of players like Wynn Davies as well. He was one of the best headers of a ball I ever saw - and even better, I had him several times as swops on the bubbly gum cards.;)

I seem to remember that was Man. City. Their fans were throwing bottles at the roof supports so that broken glass rained down on the (mostly younger) fans near the front. At HT, these younger fans were evacuated from the kop. Happy days. Not.

I seem to remember that was Man. City. Their fans were throwing bottles at the roof supports so that broken glass rained down on the (mostly younger) fans near the front. At HT, these younger fans were evacuated from the kop. Happy days. Not.
maybe it was both of them? I definitely remember hundreds of Geordies on the Kop - I don't remember Man City fans on the kop strangely enough, but that's not to say they weren't. Newcastle Brown Ale was a bit "in vogue" in the early 70's, with it's smart branding and clear glass bottles. I think we can safely assume the Newcastle Brown Ale was implicated, whichever set of fans it was. :)

Very fond memories of our 3-0 spanking of them in the League Cup in 1988-9 when they were 2 divisions ahead of us. 2 from Deano and a late back header from Stan. First time I'd ever seen us beat a team from a higher division. Mirandinha was playing for Newcastle - first Brazilian player I'd seen, I think. We lost 2-0 away for the aggregate win (the night Jackie Milburn died).

Their record at the Lane is crap, though they have won the last 2.

Sheffield? Sheffield? It's Sheffield UNITED ffs !!
When will they learn??

I remember in the last PL season watching a bloke who was absolutely hammered make his way to the top tier at St James’ Park before being told by a policeman that he needed to sober up and then sent him back downstairs. Harsh.

Great work, Silent! Look at the state of that pitch! No roof on the kop, following war damage. A couple of touches from my hero, Hagan (no.10).

I've long forgotten most of the matches that I've seen but I still have vivid memories of United beating Newcastle 6-2 on 1st January 1955. We scored four goals in the first eight minutes and the score was 5-2 at half-time.

I've long forgotten most of the matches that I've seen but I still have vivid memories of United beating Newcastle 6-2 on 1st January 1955. We scored four goals in the first eight minutes and the score was 5-2 at half-time.
My dad and Uncle mick's dad were 10 minutes late for the match and they asked spectators for the score. "4-0 to United" was the reply!

They brought thousands that day and had a big group on top right hand side of the kop looking down on the pitch
When our bus pulled in from Dronfield they were all over the streets before the game, couldn’t get off the bus at the ground as thought we were going to get battered

I was there for that game, it was definitely Newcastle. As a 13/14 year old it was my first experience of proper football violence, scary but also exciting, I remember laughing as I ran away every time the Newcastle fans charged, probably because I wasn't close enough to get slapped, but thank goodness those scenes are well in the past now.

One of very earliest memories of watching the Blades with my dad was against Newcastle , possibly early 70s' and Malcolm mcdonald went down like he'd been shot in or around the centre circle and was rolling around obviously in great pain ? The trainer then ran on with a bucket and sponge and dabbed his leg two or three times with it to which Mcdonald then got up and carried on with the game . I asked my dad what had just gone on and why he recovered so fast and he just looked at me smiled and said " son , thats the magic sponge , one dab of that and it cures everything " , i believed him too , RIP dad .

I remember in the last PL season watching a bloke who was absolutely hammered make his way to the top tier at St James’ Park before being told by a policeman that he needed to sober up and then sent him back downstairs. Harsh.
Anyone off here??

Anyone off here??

Can't remember, of the people I know on here there's a prime candidate. I was pretty pissed myself. We stopped in Washington on the way up at about 10am and it was a 5pm kick off from memory. Impossible to get a drink around the ground before the game due to all the barcodes clogging the bars up.

Back
Top Bottom