Memorable free kicks at the lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Mark Dempsey scored two good ones in 1986-7 at the Lane, in the 3-3 draw with Reading where we were leading 3-0 and conceded 3 goals in 5 mins, and in the 4-1 win over Blackburn. Curled them both round the wall and in.

I've always said that Mel Sterland's free kick for Leeds is the best goal I've seen scored live at the Lane by a visiting player, but if we are talking best free kick I've seen live by either side, I think Baxter v Oldham ties it. What a shot that was.

I remember going bananas for Borbokis v Sunderland. After the first 15 mins of that game I thought we were going to get slaughtered.

Not at BL, but anyone remember when Beattie smashed it into top corner at Burnley from about 30 yards. There used to be a video on youtube from the away end and you could see the bend on it, but cos it was in 2008 the video quality was shite. EDIT- just seen your post bartman

Think he went 3 consecutive games scoring free kicks, Leicester (H) where he scored a hat trick in about 10 mins, Pigs (H) and Burnley (A)

I can remember lots of Woody specials, but the one that stands out for me, memory wise, is the sight of Peter Shilton hammering the ground with his fist after being beaten. Not one of Woody's best, but it was magic to see the frustration of Shilts losing out to Woody once again.

does my memory serve me well. but didnt john harley score a cracker for west ham against us in 2005 the season after he been on loan

Was a fantastic goal but not a freekick. 3-3 draw right? Brilliant game that

That Eriksen one was unbelievable. I almost immediately went “ahhhhh” as I was convinced he’d hit it miles over and then it suddenly dipped in.

I can remember lots of Woody specials, but the one that stands out for me, memory wise, is the sight of Peter Shilton hammering the ground with his fist after being beaten. Not one of Woody's best, but it was magic to see the frustration of Shilts losing out to Woody once again.
Boxing Day 1970? A firework exploded in the Kop which probably distracted Shilton and Woody quickly bent the free kick

Boxing Day 1970? A firework exploded in the Kop which probably distracted Shilton and Woody quickly bent the free kick
Hahaha, stop trying to make excuses for Shilton 😀. Though I must admit I can't remember the firework though Silent, but I'm sure Woody would have beaten him anyway 🙄.

Corners, free-kicks ... Shilton must have hated seeing Woody's name on the teamsheet

Corners, free-kicks ... Shilton must have hated seeing Woody's name on the teamsheet
Woody must have been Shilton's Arch Nemesis 👍😁. Unfortunately they broke the mould with Woody. I can remember watching the World Cup many years ago and one of the commentators was creaming himself about the Brazilians bending/swerving dead balls either way. Ron Greenwood was co-commentator and shut him up by saying, we've got a guy in England who's been doing it for years, our very own Woody.

He scored one v hull as well, beargrie scored 2 screamers one was a 30 yarder
Think it was boxing day 86
First day the lane end had a scoreboard and the blades revival draw
Dempsey did score but that was a shot, not a free kick.

Don't think it went in, but the one where two players ran into each other and a third immediately ran in and took the kick whilst the wall were still pissing themselves laughing!

Don't think it went in, but the one where two players ran into each other and a third immediately ran in and took the kick whilst the wall were still pissing themselves laughing!

Loved that routine. We did it against Leeds in the FA Cup in 2003 (Robinson saved it), you can hear the Leeds fans giving it the "waheyyy" as Brown suddenly fires it in:

Think James Beattie hit the post from a similar routine against Boro a few years later, also FA Cup (no idea why I can remember that, so probably wrong).

Im sure Baxter smashed one in from around 6 miles out, dunno who it was against, cant find a vid

Theres a chance ive made that up, im getting old...

Didn't we score in the FAC, in front of the Kop, with one of Warnock's daft 'collision; routine free kicks?

It's obviousy not theat meorable, if I can't even recall what happened.

Loved that routine. We did it against Leeds in the FA Cup in 2003 (Robinson saved it), you can hear the Leeds fans giving it the "waheyyy" as Brown suddenly fires it in:

Think James Beattie hit the post from a similar routine against Boro a few years later, also FA Cup (no idea why I can remember that, so probably wrong).

I think it might have been in one of Blackwell's first games back.

Back
Top Bottom