Memorable free kicks at the lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I remember steven quinn scoring one at the Kop end, not spectacular but right at the edge of the box which is very hard to do
Ask Norwood! 😂
Vs Portsmouth 06/07 premier league season I believe.

Think Tonge scored a powerful freekick into the top corner against West ham that season on the edge if the area too.

And both games we won I think.

Leigh Bromby at home v someone around 2009.

Doubt we'll have a clip of it anywhere

I agree with Silent Blade, no one is Better Than Alan Woodward at taking Free Kicks and Corners. scored some beauties.pity many people in this forum are too young to remember. but many my age had the privilege to see them.

Didn't Jon Harley acored one at the Kop end against Leeds ?

2 special ones by Beattie thou...at home against Wednesday and the one at Burnley which was at the far end to the away end and seemed at least 30 yards out

Didn’t Tony McMahon score 2 in one game once?
Eriksens was class wasn’t it.
Norwood v Villa was a beauty.

I was there for both the Mel Sterland and the Harry Wilson free kicks. Both out of this world. But Erikson’s was unbelievable technique.

For us, Vas Borbokis on first day vs Sunderland from way out near John Street?

As an aside, that Derby game that Wilson scored in is one of my favourite games of all time. It was the matched when we all realised we were actually decent. Great atmosphere as well. God I loved that team!

I was there for both the Mel Sterland and the Harry Wilson free kicks. Both out of this world. But Erikson’s was unbelievable technique.

For us, Vas Borbokis on first day vs Sunderland from way out near John Street?

As an aside, that Derby game that Wilson scored in is one of my favourite games of all time. It was the matched when we all realised we were actually decent. Great atmosphere as well. God I loved that team!

The goal Borbokis scored that day was from open play, his free kick goal against Sunderland was in the Playoffs (someone posted the video above).

Borbokis b Sunderland in the play offs is my favourite because it was a huge match and a great free kick. The lane was rocking when that went in.

Did McMahon get goals at the Lane..?...

Didn’t Tony McMahon score 2 in one game once?
Eriksens was class wasn’t it.
Norwood v Villa was a beauty.
McMahon’s goals all came away, 2 at Crawley and one at Oxford.

Vs Portsmouth 06/07 premier league season I believe.

Think Tonge scored a powerful freekick into the top corner against West ham that season on the edge if the area too.

And both games we won I think.
1-1 v Portsmouth

3-0 v West Ham. We absolutely battered them. My brother and I were in the BL upper in line with Tonge’s superlative free kick and I left the Lane thinking we’d stay up easily. Oops.

does my memory serve me well. but didnt john harley score a cracker for west ham against us in 2005 the season after he been on loan

& another vote for borbokis, i still love him mainly because of that free kick nearly 25 yrs later

Pains me to say it but the Mel Sterland one against us (for Leeds) on Boxing Day 1989 (38:00 in the link below) was probably the best free kick I've seen at BDTBL.

Was about to say the same as much as it pains me, an ex pig scoring against us for Leeds, but my word it was a screamer

Pains me to say it but the Mel Sterland one against us (for Leeds) on Boxing Day 1989 (38:00 in the link below) was probably the best free kick I've seen at BDTBL.

I was about to post the same . I struggle to think of any free kick I’ve ever seen hit with more power than that .

He must have been all of 35 yards out when he struck it an the fucking thing was still rising when it hit the roof of the net .

Even the fact that it was Sterland who scored it couldn’t overcome my grudging admiration for such a remarkable strike .

I think Zola scored against us for Chelsea in a pre season friendly a few years back. Think it was a free kick, either way, I remember it was quality.

Tonge against West Ham in 06/07.

Reading the thread, it just highlights how infrequent direct free kick goals have been in the last years or so. Pretty disappointing tbh!

McMahon’s goals all came away, 2 at Crawley and one at Oxford.

1-1 v Portsmouth

3-0 v West Ham. We absolutely battered them. My brother and I were in the BL upper in line with Tonge’s superlative free kick and I left the Lane thinking we’d stay up easily. Oops.
Wasn't sure on the Portsmouth game if we had won 2-1 /1-0, I remember his freekick but not much more from that game.

I do remember the West ham game and we won 3-0.. you are right we played well and battered them that game.

Remember the Zola one in a friendly, Vialli had just got Chelsea job, Alan Kelly was in net, great free kick from a top player.

Back
Top Bottom