McBurnie

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Given that McBurnie can't hoof the ball to himself for an aerial duel, does the problem not lie with the passing choices made by the other 10 players in white & red when he's on the pitch?

Those lists, filtered on attackers by order of won; won/total, won %
1 - McBurnie 101/194, 53%
2 - Chris Wood 98/197, 50%
3 - Calvert-Lewin 91/182, 50%
4 - Ollie Watkins 86/183, 47%
5 - Christian Benteke 66/123, 55%
SHhhhhhush , they know best !

It's funny though, wonder if you'll ignore me again when I put stats up comparing your hero billy's general play to McBurnie's.

I think you'll find despite him not putting any effort in, that he actually has far more positive stats as far as pass completions, yards made etc compared to your hero.

If we dominate the ball and pepper the opponents box, no doubt Billy has a field day, unfortunately at this level we rarely get the ball near the opponents box, so Sharp is a waste of time.

People calling for Billy Sharp etc confuses me tbh. If anyone should have started, it should have been Didzy. Sharp got the winner against West Brom yes, but didn't do much else before that in the game and was partly to blame for their goal. I think people let their man crush get the better of them tbh and they fail to see the bigger picture.
What did the Romans ever do for us.....eh?
For the first goal Sharp gets to the byline and sends in a lovely cross that leads to the first GOAL.
Watch it again and see the bigger picture.

Given that McBurnie can't hoof the ball to himself for an aerial duel, does the problem not lie with the passing choices made by the other 10 players in white & red when he's on the pitch?

Those lists, filtered on attackers by order of won; won/total, won %
1 - McBurnie 101/194, 53%
2 - Chris Wood 98/197, 50%
3 - Calvert-Lewin 91/182, 50%
4 - Ollie Watkins 86/183, 47%
5 - Christian Benteke 66/123, 55%

I wouldn’t rule it out. If he hoofed it high enough from our 18 yard line, then ambled upfield at max revs, he could just about contest an aerial duel for his own hoof anywhere within 15-20 yards of the centre circle.

It would be like playing with an extra man in midfield AND defence, and could be this season‘s hoof-equivalent of overlapping centre halves.

It's funny though, wonder if you'll ignore me again when I put stats up comparing your hero billy's general play to McBurnie's.

I think you'll find despite him not putting any effort in, that he actually has far more positive stats as far as pass completions, yards made etc compared to your hero.

If we dominate the ball and pepper the opponents box, no doubt Billy has a field day, unfortunately at this level we rarely get the ball near the opponents box, so Sharp is a waste of time.
And finally, if you go on Whoscored.com it lists every single Premier League's players stats. Oli has the least successful pass completion rate of any outfield player in the whole league [the 6 below him are keepers]. https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...erStatistics/England-Premier-League-2020-2021

There is no spoon !

What your eyes have managed to convince your noggin is real, is not in fact in evidence in the universe I occupy.

Try harder !

😂😂😂😂😂.

People calling for Billy Sharp etc confuses me tbh. If anyone should have started, it should have been Didzy. Sharp got the winner against West Brom yes, but didn't do much else before that in the game and was partly to blame for their goal. I think people let their man crush get the better of them tbh and they fail to see the bigger picture.
HE SCORED THE WINNER!!!!!!!!!!

And finally, if you go on Whoscored.com it lists every single Premier League's players stats. Oli has the least successful pass completion rate of any outfield player in the whole league [the 6 below him are keepers]. https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...erStatistics/England-Premier-League-2020-2021

There is no spoon !

What your eyes have managed to convince your noggin is real, is not in fact in evidence in the universe I occupy.

Try harder !

😂😂😂😂😂.
Funny you should say that, because fbref is a far more in depth opta style database.

Sharp has a worse percentage and the majority of his are much shorter passes (the last column is metres gained).

Whodathunkit

Screenshot_20210209-082656_Chrome.jpg

Funny you should say that, because fbref is a far more in depth opta style database.

Sharp has a worse percentage and the majority of his are much shorter passes (the last column is metres gained).

Whodathunkit

View attachment 105140
I'm no expert but whoscored.com use opta stats. Wouldn't they be considered the best?

Either way, both sets of stats seem to backup the point of the thread in that playing McBurnie doesn't seem to be a great idea.

I'm no expert but whoscored.com use opta stats. Wouldn't they be considered the best?

Either way, both sets of stats seem to backup the point of the thread in that playing McBurnie doesn't seem to be a great idea.
Because we play like puddings when he’s on the pitch. Throwing long balls up to him. Every single time (bar West Brom second half). Fucking hell. How hard is it?

Strange isn't it how the same input can create such a vast difference in results.

Both are well regarded, but as they say with stats...

Because we play like puddings when he’s on the pitch. Throwing long balls up to him. Every single time (bar West Brom second half). Fucking hell. How hard is it?
Not read my previous posts then. He loses the ball with his feet and doesn't score so what is the benefit of playing him? Fucking hell. How hard is it?

Not read my previous posts then. He loses the ball with his feet and doesn't score so what is the benefit of playing him? Fucking hell. How hard is it?
He doesn’t score many goals because of how we play him 😂 or generally how we play with him on the pitch. Last time he was in the championship he scored as many as Billy did. It’s not like he doesn’t know where the back of the onion bag is

He doesn’t score many goals because of how we play him 😂 or generally how we play with him on the pitch. Last time he was in the championship he scored as many as Billy did. It’s not like he doesn’t know where the back of the onion bag is
So you agree it's pointless playing him? No one wants to watch long ball football, especially when your target man is so bad at it, and the results are so poor.

Also, based on what he's done for us, he's not actually very good at finding that onion bag is he? He's missed more sitters than goals scored. Billy Sharp had a much better minutes per goal ratio that Championship season, as he's had every season. Sharp doesn't need to justify what he's good at anyway, it's obvious. It's not obvious to most of us what Oli McBurnie is actually good at (Premier League level).

Whodathunkit

View attachment 105140
McBurnie's stats will be impacted by the volume of headers too. Most of them will be short, incomplete passes and as I said before that's not his fault. We need to be braver and move the ball through the midfield rather than the wide centre halves and goalkeeper just thumping it in the general direction of McBurnie.

Whodathunkit

View attachment 105140
You dispute that McB has the worse outfield stats in this pass completion area in the ENTIRE PL for outfield players and you claim Sharp is worse.

Not only has the spoon fucked off, but the knife and fork have done one an all !!!

F
M
D.

UTB

So you agree it's pointless playing him? No one wants to watch long ball football, especially when your target man is so bad at it, and the results are so poor.

Also, based on what he's done for us, he's not actually very good at finding that onion bag is he? He's missed more sitters than goals scored. Billy Sharp had a much better minutes per goal ratio that Championship season, as he's had every season. Sharp doesn't need to justify what he's good at anyway, it's obvious. It's not obvious to most of us what Oli McBurnie is actually good at (Premier League level).
It's obvious what hes not good at - 'scoring goals' he's the worst striker in the Prem by a country mile.

Fuck me this argument is boring. McSharpnie can never play together, they do the same things in this formation. When they are on the pitch they are both OK at some things and not at others. Neither of them can create their own shot (At least Burke has pace, Brewster can shoot from distance and Didzy has the skill to shift it and shoot) so they are 100% reliant on others to create for them. As a team we are as bad as it gets at chance creation so neither of them are ever going to look very good.

Last season McBurnie was a lot better than Sharp. This year I'd say Sharp has offered more. But neither of them are good enough

If we're going to play that way when he's on the pitch - yes. But is that his fault?

His strengths are in his link up and drifting between the lines. He's not a bad goalscorer either as his record will show, just lacking confidence as is to be expected. As you saw on Sunday as he set up our best chance, and as you saw against WBA when his introduction changed the game.

Fuck me this argument is boring. McSharpnie can never play together, they do the same things in this formation. When they are on the pitch they are both OK at some things and not at others. Neither of them can create their own shot (At least Burke has pace, Brewster can shoot from distance and Didzy has the skill to shift it and shoot) so they are 100% reliant on others to create for them. As a team we are as bad as it gets at chance creation so neither of them are ever going to look very good.

Last season McBurnie was a lot better than Sharp. This year I'd say Sharp has offered more. But neither of them are good enough
One has potential and could be, If used correctly. One is too old to be, but could've been. That's the difference.

If we're going to play that way when he's on the pitch - yes. But is that his fault?

His strengths are in his link up and drifting between the lines. He's not a bad goalscorer either as his record will show, just lacking confidence as is to be expected. As you saw on Sunday as he set up our best chance, and as you saw against WBA when his introduction changed the game.
We don't have a traditional "number 9" who's good enough to play against every opposition. The only argument for starting the same player every game is continuity.

Also McBurnie would be infinitely better in a front 3

One has potential and could be, If used correctly. One is too old to be, but could've been. That's the difference.
I'd be happy with Sharp starting and McBurnie getting the last half an hour as long as we switched up formation to something more attacking to get the better of McBurnie

I know them keepers are useless at passing the ball . At least our Oli has some players beneath him in the stats.;)I bet he has scored more than those keepers to.;)

1 goal in 17 off his shoulder, and you counter that with..

'We don't play to his strengths'- you are either is dad his mate or Oli himself, we all wanted him to be good , we all gave him some time, but sorry 'Buddy' ,99% of us have seen enough and have closure- he ain't cutting it.

I'd be happy with Sharp starting and McBurnie getting the last half an hour as long as we switched up formation to something more attacking to get the better of McBurnie
I'd like to see Brewster get plenty more mins in preparation for next season. And not just pointless ones. He looked dangerous against Chelsea and at home to Man United when we were attacking and playing in the final third.

But regards Oli, you don't dominate the likes of Chelsea and Leicester's defences if you aren't good enough at that level. But we don't use him at all how he should be, hence the inconsistency. Any other argument is futile for me.

1 goal in 17 off his shoulder, and you counter that with..

'We don't play to his strengths'- you are either is dad his mate or Oli himself, we all wanted him to be good , we all gave him some time, but sorry 'Buddy' ,99% of us have seen enough and have closure- he ain't cutting it.
So you're speaking for 99% of the fanbase now?
Of those 17, how many have been sub appearances? How many goalscoring chances has he actually had?

Comparing the goal records of our strikers for the past season and half is the most stupid of arguments you can have. Wycombe would create more.

Back
Top Bottom