Mcburnie

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Thought today was his best game so far tbh, besides what does a £20m striker look like? Joelinton cost double that doesn't look any better. Wesley, Maupay for the same price not pulling up trees.
AND Wesley has one leg shorter than the other !😎

I think this lads work rate is brilliant but I am still unsure what style of striker he is. He’s to lightweight for a target man and his hold up play is not great. He hasn’t got pace. He tries skill but not always at the right moments. Is he a box man.....maybe?

I still think we need to give him 10-15 games though and he needs a partner. A regular one. The back 9 at times work hard and look good but we need some understanding at the top end of the pitch

Last edited:
I can fucking run around all day and try hard
hqdefault.jpg

Players cast more than twice as much have got no change out of VVD so I'm not sure what you're expecting from a player making his way in a new league after making the step up. The £20m price tag is a sign of the market and not necessarily the worth of the player.

You're post isnt wrong or right: it's your opinion.

An opinion that Wilder clearly disagrees with so far.

(Even with the benefit of hindsight) which striker would you prefer for £15-£20m?

Completely agree re opinion

I think this lads work rate is brilliant but I am still unsure what style of striker he is. He’s to lightweight for a target man and his hold up play is not great. He hasn’t got pace. He tries skill but not always at the right moments. Is he a box man.....maybe?

I still think we need to give him 10-15 games though and he needs a partner. A regular one. The back 9 at times work hard and look good but we need some undertaking at the top end of the pitch

He can finish. Ok, not so much today .... but he hardly missed sitters, they were difficultish chances.

But, I'd feel confident that Clarke's chance and a couple that McGoldrick missed, Ollie would have buried.

Completely agree re opinion

Not trying to nit pick, but have you thought about other potential options we could have gone for instead of McBurnie?

The reason I ask is because a PL goalscorer generally costs double what McBurnie did, in this market. Added to the fact that they generally have their pick of clubs, so won't join a newly promoted team.

Not trying to nit pick, but have you thought about other potential options we could have gone for instead of McBurnie?

The reason I ask is because a PL goalscorer generally costs double what McBurnie did, in this market. Added to the fact that they generally have their pick of clubs, so won't join a newly promoted team.

No I agree, my comment was that Mcburnie may not be the man from what we have seen so far. I know they cost a bomb, not sure we should be as direct though.

Unfortunately i think Wilder has made big mistakes with both McBurnie and Robinson, both look like your typical average to decent Championship players and we've just spent huge money on them (for us).

Are we seeing the drawbacks of not having a wider scouting network outside of the UK?

What so they've got worse since they joined us? Average to decent Championship players, McBurnie scored 22 goals and Robinson 12 and 3 assists even though he was out for half the season.

I keep watching him and coming away thinking “did he do well or did the game just completely pass him by?”.

The things to consider are:

• He’s played in 2 PL games in a week where the opposition have had 70% of the ball each game.
  • He played against a £75m defender today.
  • He looks a handful and shows a good touch when he can get hold of the ball.
On the flip side:

• He was terrible in both cup games against lower league opponents.
  • He has won a handful of headers at best in the last 3 PL games we’ve had.
  • He moans like mad at the ref and tries to fight with defenders.
  • He has no pace.
  • He’s only scored 1 goal.
Really hope he improves.

No I agree, my comment was that Mcburnie may not be the man from what we have seen so far. I know they cost a bomb, not sure we should be as direct though.

My point is that "the man" doesnt really exist. You either get really lucky with a player like Pukki, or you realise that a good return for the striker of a newly promoted side is generally around 10 goals- I could see him getting 10 by the end of the season, personally too.

As for playing direct: I don't think he causes us to be direct. I think Wilder employs him when he wants us to be more direct. Players don't abandon instructions based on the introduction of a single player, Wilder wouldn't let them.
Playing a team like Liverpool, who press extremely high, you have to expect that we'll be more direct, lest we won't create chances. That could be direct into space for a runner like Robinson or Mouseet or aerieally to McBurnie.

McBurnie was abysmally bad today. I feel sh*te thinking as to how the Blades were supposedly to spend reasonable cash to strenghten the attack, and this is what we've got having spent nearly £ 40. Wilder is good, Wilder is great, and long live Wilder - but this time he's got the transfer business wrong. And f*ck everyone telling as to how I'm supposedly a "wrist-slasher", don't know sh*te etc. F*ck your deluded selves, please.

My point is that "the man" doesnt really exist. You either get really lucky with a player like Pukki, or you realise that a good return for the striker of a newly promoted side is generally around 10 goals- I could see him getting 10 by the end of the season, personally too.

As for playing direct: I don't think he causes us to be direct. I think Wilder employs him when he wants us to be more direct. Players don't abandon instructions based on the introduction of a single player, Wilder wouldn't let them.
Playing a team like Liverpool, who press extremely high, you have to expect that we'll be more direct, lest we won't create chances. That could be direct into space for a runner like Robinson or Mouseet or aerieally to McBurnie.

Point taken, I still stand by my original point though. UTB.

McBurnie was abysmally bad today. I feel sh*te thinking as to how the Blades were supposedly to spend reasonable cash to strenghten the attack, and this is what we've got having spent nearly £ 40. Wilder is good, Wilder is great, and long live Wilder - but this time he's got the transfer business wrong. And f*ck everyone telling as to how I'm supposedly a "wrist-slasher", don't know sh*te etc. F*ck your deluded selves, please.

You're wrong and it seems that me and my delusion don't have a problem with our keyboard.

We played that way last season but they had someone playing behind them as an outlet. I've no problem with Wilder dropping Duffy and his reason for it, but he's dropped a bollock not replacing him as this was the key to our attacking play.

It needs to be Didsy or Luke Freeman and one of Norwood, Fleck or Lundstram miss out. For me it's Norwood.

The srikers are completely isolated and having go create their own chances against top defenders without this supporting player.

Spot on

It takes a certain kind of 'fan' to slag any of our players off today. Obviously people who have just started watching is and don't know how far we have come. What's the Kevin banner insult? Totally over my head
Making an (early) judgement on players we've spent big money on it not slagging them off its what all football fans do.

We all love Wilder but the truth is he has made some bollocks in the transfer market, and at the moment it looks like for the money we spent on them both McBurnie and Robinson don't look an improvement on what we had.

Thought today was his best game so far tbh, besides what does a £20m striker look like? Joelinton cost double that doesn't look any better. Wesley, Maupay for the same price not pulling up trees.
If that was his best game I would hate to see his worst.

He is no more than a work horse centre forward and that is what you get for £20m.
But let’s not get any ideas he is any more than said work horse.

Think that opinion should stay in Siberia where it belongs, mate.

He did alright. We were up against a very high-calibre team. There were times where he could've done a bit better and times where he did quite well.

He's a new player in a new side. Many seem to have forgotten the work he did last season which made Wilder want him in the first place.

The word 'abysmal' belongs nowhere near McBurnie's name after today. I'm certainly yet to be fully convinced, but I'm conscious that time is on his side. I hope he comes good.

I hate to put a dampener on things but for me, he currently isn't worth 17/20 Mill.

We completely change our way of playing for him, go direct and predictable. However he very rarely wins headers and more often than not good down, too lightweight, getting muscled off. When he does win headers (goal aside) then he doesn't direct them properly.

Hope he improves, but when Billy, didsy and Leon are still in the mix, then your front men aren't doing it.

UTB
looked a different player when lys came on to help him
oh yeah.. he was playing against the best defender in the world
(how good was van dyke btw:(

View attachment 62043

Players cast more than twice as much have got no change out of VVD so I'm not sure what you're expecting from a player making his way in a new league after making the step up. The £20m price tag is a sign of the market and not necessarily the worth of the player.
I'm expecting better.

He can finish. Ok, not so much today .... but he hardly missed sitters, they were difficultish chances.

But, I'd feel confident that Clarke's chance and a couple that McGoldrick missed, Ollie would have buried.

He wouldn't have got to them because he was fucked after 60 minutes. I will say it now and you can shoot me down in flames at the end of the season if I am wrong, but he is a complete waste of £17mil plus and won't have more than 5 goals before Xmas.

There was that early shot in the first half that went straight to the keepers hands which Billy would have hit the net with but he is not the instant goal machine many were thinking. I have a feeling he needs that "moment" in a game when he finally finds his scoring feet. Prepared to give him more time but I think we are so used to get players for peanuts and watching them developing in to good players when we finally get a ££££££ player we do expect him to hit the ground running. Let's face it we're not used to see players being bought for over £5M!!

I hate to put a dampener on things but for me, he currently isn't worth 17/20 Mill.

We completely change our way of playing for him, go direct and predictable. However he very rarely wins headers and more often than not good down, too lightweight, getting muscled off. When he does win headers (goal aside) then he doesn't direct them properly.

Hope he improves, but when Billy, didsy and Leon are still in the mix, then your front men aren't doing it.

UTB
There’s none of the buggers worth their fees not just McBurnie. That’s how stupid the transfer markets become. He was up against the best centre half in football this afternoon😳 On today’s display the Liverpool top three weren’t worth £20 million between them. I like many more thought it was a very good performance from the team today.

Back
Top Bottom