Match Thread MATCH DAY THREAD: The Mighty Blades v Northampton

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not_a_Cheat

Reaction score
Well a belated Merry Christmas fellow Blades, and wishing you all a great new year, let's start it this afternoon as Northampton visit BDBL in the early-ish kick off. Our form is well documented and a great chance today to make our presence even more meaningful as Bolton and Scunthorpe face each other. Northampton arrive in mixed form, with the pattern of their last 10 games suggesting this won't be a draw. They are quite capable of scoring and conceding a few, and yet can go very baron - in other words very little pattern to their form. Obviously it'll be a somewhat emotional time for CW, though I don't think that he will take his eye off the job in hand by any percentage whatsoever. He'll be all out for the 3 points and no sentiment will be held as soon as the match starts....

Anyway...

Any team news? :)

Mix a few around with a view to Monday's game?

Or stick unchanged and change as necessary ON Monday?

Perhaps earlier sub appearances if the scoreline allows?

Presumably will be a great crowd with Northampton selling a good number of tickets, or so I heard. Hope their is no pre-new year hangover and we perform a little better than against Oldham. 3-1 Blades and that will do us very nicely irrespective of results elsewhere.

UTB

This is a tougher game than we've faced of late, Northampton are bottom half of the table but not in a relegation battle like Oldham/Coventry. Their patchy form is gonna make it difficult to predict the outcome - it all depends on which side turns up today. I can't see any reason to change our 1st XI/formation, (unless there's any suspensions I've forgotten) and hopefully this one should be a bit more of an open and interesting game than Boxing Day. A win puts us top for 2 hours at least, no ifs, no buts. Then all eyes on the Bolton/Scunny game. I'll go for a narrow 1-0, Clarke on as a sub with a belting header on 82 minutes.

Unless someone is carrying a knock, then stick with the same starting 11. I understand that with another game in 2 days changes will need to be made but not for today. Chris knows his onions and will take players out and bring others in when necessary. Another toughie today so need to be "at it" as Tufty says.

Got a feeling there'll be plenty of goals in this one and a bit of a see-saw game, like the 3-3 with Bradford.

Hope i'm wrong and it's a dour 2-0 win !

I would like to see Lavery given a chance to start, Done isn't a goal threat and Clarke looks a better bet as impact sub rather than starter.

But It will be the same starting line up as Boxing Day.

Sat at home feeling very sorry for myself....not at game today as I couldn't face the drive up .
Sing our loud and proud Blades, let's get those 3 points today.

As said above Northampton aren't in any danger at present so in theory shouldn't need to park the bus. If they come at us they will give us a game alright but that's what this team thrives upon. We should have enough to get the points today, hopefully

3-1 Blades (Sharp, Duffy and Bash)

I expect a more open game than usual. I think they'll have a go at us so it should be a decent game. Could be something like 3-2.

Going to be an interesting game, because northampton obviously wont park the bus. Because the players will want to prove that theyve still got it to their old manager & if i remember rightly would like 3pts for their own play off challenge

But im just Glad it going to be more relaxed as there isnt the pressure on the last time we played chris wilder former team. Oxford was horrible with the intense must win atmosphere around the place

Going to be an interesting game, because northampton obviously wont park the bus. Because the players will want to prove that theyve still got it to their old manager & if i remember rightly would like 3pts for their own play off challenge

But im just Glad it going to be more relaxed as there isnt the pressure on the last time we played chris wilder former team. Oxford was horrible with the intense must win atmosphere around the place

That was everything to do with our bad start and nothing to do with playing Wilder's old team.

You are aware that Robert Pages one and only setting as a manager is defensive?

Sharp and Clarke!!!

giphy.gif

You are aware that Robert Pages one and only setting as a manager is defensive?

And that once the whistle blows players haven't the time or inclination to think who their own fucking manager is, let alone the opposition's...

Clarke in for Done.
Hoping Wilder is right in his asumption that he and Billy cant play together.
Prove me wrong Blades.

Northampton fans are waving the white flag of surrender already

IMG_1223.JPG

Half time 0-0

As many predicted it's been a tough match. We've dominated possession and some of our build up play has been patient probing trying to walk the ball into the net.

To be fair Northampton have played a good away performance. Defending well in numbers but trying to break quickly when they get the chance.

We've been the better team and if we score 1 then expect the game to open up.

We are kicking towards the Kop second half and I expect us to make some of the goal mouth scrambles count or we could get a penalty.

Our best player so far has been Duffy, he's the focal point for much of our creation and occasionally he dribbles with the ball running at their defense.

The Sharp- Clark partnership has been 6 out of 10. Looks promising, both made runs and worked hard but neither quite sharp enough and Clark still has this habit of falling down and being outmuscled off the ball.

Told yers. This has got 1-0 from a late Clarke goal written all over it.

Having to listen to the game over the tinternet as on the train coming back from Edinburgh.

Sounds like a lot more of the same as we have been producing for the last few games. Lots of possession but very little quality in the last third.

It just seems to be a bit of a struggle up top at the minute both from a striking point of view and the inability to produce a decent cross or final ball.

Not sure if Clarke is the answer.

Clarke should have scored when the ball was played across the box. Took a knock so not sure whether he was pulled back a bit.

BBC has announced the crowd today as, 24,194

This is proving to be a very frustrating listen.

If we do score then I may be ejected from the Quiet Carriage...

Back
Top Bottom