Gone Elsewhere Martin Waghorn

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

4. Unproven at this level.

£5million seems a lot higher than I thought we'd be willing to spend on one player. But £6.5m for a player you have no guarantees will make the step up comfortably is more of a gamble.
This is a very good point.

Take Luke Beckett as an example. Extremely prolific in the lower 2 divisions. Nothing of note when played above that.

5m seems a lot for Waghorn, but as well as the 16 goals, 11 assists is not to be sniffed at. The highest was only 14. Reach got 11 too and cost the Pigs 7m. He didn’t also weigh in with 16 goals though. Our highest assisters were Duffy with 9 and Fleck with 7.

He’d be a great addition no doubt but can we really afford that type of money without a resale value 2-3 years down the line, I think not, we arent that club across the City, thats how they got into thier mess.
How much would you care about re-sale value if the new additions added to CW's management/player motivation skills actually were enough to achieve the PL goal? :)

I think we're at a half-way house, modest investment that could do the trick but not shit or bust as tried by "'others' :rolleyes:

I think Waghorn will be one of several we're looking at and bidding at. Still think Gallagher will come and then probably McGoldrick if he does well on Saturday. Add Woodburn as well on loan and I'd be happy with that.

He’d be a great addition no doubt but can we really afford that type of money without a resale value 2-3 years down the line, I think not, we arent that club across the City, thats how they got into thier mess.

It’s a tough one isn’t it.

I like the idea of replicating the likes of Brentford and Peterborough. You can make some very good money that way. However, we have our academy to complement our first team and budgets. We’ve made quite a bit in recent seasons from it, and there’s no indication that won’t continue. Our model isn’t the same as theirs, but it’s very good, and will be the envy of many other clubs.

I think this year we really have to go for it. It’s not all or nothing, like certain clubs, but I think it’s as good a chance as we’ll have for a while. It’s the last season we can realistically expect to keep players such as O’Connell and Fleck, perhaps even Baldock... unless we get promoted.

I’m in the camp of getting in good players, proven at this level, who will contribute and improve what we had last year. We weren’t far away, and with players like this I really think we’ll be right up there this season. That’s a good investment in my eyes, and potentially a much better one than Marriott.

He was brilliant whenever i saw him for Ipswich last year and always looked a constant threat.
£5m seems a lot but that’s what the market is these days and i reckon if he was called Mario Waghorzi then people would be saying it looks good value when you look at his output from last season.

Hmmm...always flattered to deceive has this lad.
It’s a large wedge for him if the fee is half that reported! McGoldrick (if signed) would be a significantly more value for money signing.
Don’t get me wrong, he’s an improvement on Lavery and Evans (current Evans, not past) so as long as we get another striker as well then fair enough. But I agree that if we were spending that kind of money we should really be gambling on Marriott. I can only see his value going up...whereas I think at those figures Waghorn is at his money!

Marriott isn’t in the same league as Waghorn in terms of everything.

This is a very good point.

Take Luke Beckett as an example. Extremely prolific in the lower 2 divisions. Nothing of note when played above that.

5m seems a lot for Waghorn, but as well as the 16 goals, 11 assists is not to be sniffed at. The highest was only 14. Reach got 11 too and cost the Pigs 7m. He didn’t also weigh in with 16 goals though. Our highest assisters were Duffy with 9 and Fleck with 7.

I just think a proven championship goal scorer could score so many in our team. We missed so many chances last season. If your a striker who works hard and has a natural ability to score then he will be in top few goalcorers this season.

Ipwish weren’t creating the chances we do on a weekly basis.

Looking at this, three things stand out for me;

- He's unselfish
- Would provide good competition on free kicks which we could very much do with

And most importantly...

He can take a fucking corner.

To put my last point into context, Waghorn featured in 27 goals. That’s more than anyone else in the Championship.

Look at the profile of those who finished below him:
Waghorn - 27

Reid - 26. Sold for 10m
Vydra - 25. Touted at 8m
Clarke - 24
Jota - 22. Cost about 12m
Maddison - 22. Went for 20m

Sharp our next one with 17.

You can see the attraction Chris has for him.

People talk about replicating the Brentford model but they'll never reach the top level like that. They're the new Peterborough and if they keep selling it'll eventually go wrong and they'll go down.

Who cares how much we think or don't think he is worth , That's probably the going rate for a championship striker who is any good. At least wilder is trying to bring in good players for decent money. To try and make progress. People moaning about it is madness. Wilder is trying to bring in the best players he can get with the budget he's got. Get behind him for gods sake. He wants what is best for this club.

Take a look at this, this is brilliant

TrickyTrev
18 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

I wouldn't laugh at them too much.
How much did we spend on Rhodes?
Glass houses and all that.
TBH, I think Egan is a good price at 4mill.
He's very good player.

Posted 2 minutes ago - TrickyTrev
We spent £8m on Rhodes abd I wouldn’t write him off just yet.

His goal scoring record at this level is second to none and I have a sneaky feeling he will rediscover it this year at Norwich meaning we would still get our money back on him.

Whatever way you look at it, there’s more evidence to suggest that Rhodes will score more than Waghorn this season.

*APART FROM THE FACT WAGHORN SCORED 16 GOALS LAST SEASON, AND RHODES HAS SCORED 15 IN 3 YEARS.

To me it would be a good deal. I know it’s a lot of money but he would be our player, not paying a loan fee and half of premiership wages eg Sam Gallagher. Let’s be honest the James Wilson loan was a disaster. Looking forward to the season just hoping we can keep O’Connell. By the way the first goal at Bradford this week was class, all one touch football with a nice finish, as Alan Partridge would say, “‘lovely stuff”.

16 goals is officially "proven" in my book,
I just can't see us being able to nick a rivals best striker. I don't think we are in the right place yet or have the right budget to get players from teams in this division that they are desperate to keep hold of.

Only seen him during his spell at rangers and he was horrific then. He must have had gold dust sprinkled on him since....

I think its a good signing. His record last season suggests he would be a improvement on what we currently have.

Ehy does everyone keep banging on about Marriot at Pboro? Wilder has said numerous times that he is after PROVEN championship players. He doesn't fall into that category so just forget about it.

We'd be better off keeping the money and using it towards a Hogan, Gallagher or just someone generally better.

We can’t afford thier wages though.

We’ve clearly had to move on from the first choices because they want ludicrous money.

I don’t particular think £5m for waghorn is great or even good value - but even if we had a bid for hogan accepted it’s no good if we can’t afford to give him a contract.

If £5m is the going rate for a standard championship striker we’d be much better throwing money and resources at some international scouting network to try and find some bargains there - no value in the uk market anymore so we need to be smarter where we look.

I would be amazed if we paid 5 million for anyone given the boardroom debacle.

We are more likely to sell O'Connell than buy Waghorn imho.

Hmmm...always flattered to deceive has this lad.
It’s a large wedge for him if the fee is half that reported! McGoldrick (if signed) would be a significantly more value for money signing.
Don’t get me wrong, he’s an improvement on Lavery and Evans (current Evans, not past) so as long as we get another striker as well then fair enough. But I agree that if we were spending that kind of money we should really be gambling on Marriott. I can only see his value going up...whereas I think at those figures Waghorn is at his money!
A very Bladey post ,value for money signing McGoldrick and yet we should gamble on Marriot ?? Surely better to spend on a proven player at this level ,no ?

Back
Top Bottom