Marseille v Ajax

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

toledo

Reaction score
Watching this game for Illiam who has done nothing but I just witnessed one of the worst GK screw ups ever..

Any one see it?

Toledo

It’s 3-3 with only 2 mins left in extra time.

Ball comes across the penalty box high and beyond everyone and is going out to secure a point for Ajax.

GK goes back behind far post about 10 yards and decides to catch the ball instead of letting it run out.

He fumbles the ball.

Marseille player sees it and runs towards the ball.

The GK dives forward and gets his arms around the leg of the forward.

Forward drops to the ground: PK!!

Abaneyang strips and scores from the spot with 2 mins left on ET.

Score 4-3 to Marseille.

Check it out on YouTube.

And I’m a GK!!

Toledo

It’s 3-3 with only 2 mins left in extra time.

Ball comes across the penalty box high and beyond everyone and is going out to secure a point for Ajax.

GK goes back behind far post about 10 yards and decides to catch the ball instead of letting it run out.

He fumbles the ball.

Marseille player sees it and runs towards the ball.

The GK dives forward and gets his arms around the leg of the forward.

Forward drops to the ground: PK!!

Abaneyang strips and scores from the spot with 2 mins left on ET.

Score 4-3 to Marseille.

Check it out on YouTube.

And I’m a GK!!

Toledo
Hang on a minute....Abaneyang does what now?!!

Watched the game - out of interest in seeing how Ndiaye is getting on - and what was glaring, was that where as in United’s team, everyone invariably looked to get the ball to him whenever possible, now his team-mates never pass the ball to him.

Ndiaye was constantly on the move, trying to find space all along the front line but especially on the left and in the centre, but he barely received a pass - even when he was clearly the obvious option for a team-mate. It’s almost as if his team-mates don’t trust him.

He had 2 touches in the time he was on the pitch and they were merely ’wall-passes’ where he received a pass and just popped it back to the player he had received it from. He isn’t playing his natural game and the team he is in doesn’t suit his game.

Maybe if he can't do anything in French football, he wouldn't have done it in the premiership, but he made his choice, good luck to him
well many say we are crap now without him , but hes not doing it in the french league which is nowhere near as hard as the prem
still think it was too soon for him , he was still learning here, and hes not gelling there
he knew his place in our team , looks utterly out of his comfort zone there

watched it for 25 minutes last night he only had 2 touches and both were poor, we should ask to get him on loan in January get him back on track

Hopefully he can be our Zaha, where he stalls at a big club but comes back to us and thrives for the next 10 years.

Or maybe not seeing as we spent his transfer fee on Slimane, Traore and Souza

Watched the game - out of interest in seeing how Ndiaye is getting on - and what was glaring, was that where as in United’s team, everyone invariably looked to get the ball to him whenever possible, now his team-mates never pass the ball to him.

Ndiaye was constantly on the move, trying to find space all along the front line but especially on the left and in the centre, but he barely received a pass - even when he was clearly the obvious option for a team-mate. It’s almost as if his team-mates don’t trust him.

He had 2 touches in the time he was on the pitch and they were merely ’wall-passes’ where he received a pass and just popped it back to the player he had received it from. He isn’t playing his natural game and the team he is in doesn’t suit his game.

I watched it too. He came on in about the 65th minute and hardly touched the ball. He was kind of playing out on the wing but he was dropping back into midfield running into space showing for the ball but hardly anyone passed to him.

Thought the atmosphere at the match was brilliant, it's a great stadium.
Marseille are traditionally the biggest, best supported club in France, unlike Paris it's a real hotbed for football.
Can't blame anyone for wanting to leave Sheff Utd for playing there.
Although when you think Marseille has a population of nearly 900K compared to Sheffields 600K.
There's only 1 football team in Marseille, so averaging 60K+ most seasons isn't that impressive compared to the 2 Sheffield clubs.

The commentators on TV did talk about N'Diaye's move.
They said he's only scored 1 league goal and 0 goals in Europe.
Said he's finding it tough to hold down a regular spot in the team and
they mentioned how tough it was to play in front of the Marseille crowd saying playing at Bramall Lane was less pressure and so much easier because the French crowd were more unforgiving and don't give new players a chance in the same way.
They also said it doesn't help N'Diaye in that the manager has changed since he joined.
So the manager (the Spaniard Marcelino) that wanted him at Marseille was sacked in Sept 23, the new manager is the Italian Gattuso.
Wouldn't surprise me...if he's available for sale next season, probably at a knock down price.

Maybe if he can't do anything in French football, he wouldn't have done it in the premiership, but he made his choice, good luck to him

Not as simple as that. Style of play and how a player is used makes all the difference.

The whole team revolved around N'Diaye last season....all our midfielders, especially Norwood were looking to pass to him.
So N'Diaye was always switched on...showing for the ball because he know, almost every time he'd receive it.

At Marseille N'Diaye runs into space showing for the ball but they don't pass to him as much.

Then there's the issue of confidence, feeling wanted by the players and the fans.

That's why I'm a big believer that manager changes can be more effective than people think.
Wednesday have changed manager, have the same players, still not getting the results but almost immediately now look a much better team.
It's all about recognising players strengths and weaknesses and forming a "team" to suit, trying to give players confidence.

well many say we are crap now without him , but hes not doing it in the french league which is nowhere near as hard as the prem
still think it was too soon for him , he was still learning here, and hes not gelling there
he knew his place in our team , looks utterly out of his comfort zone there

watched it for 25 minutes last night he only had 2 touches and both were poor, we should ask to get him on loan in January get him back on track
Sounds like that time Scarlet Johansson turned me down and I told my mates she’s only a 9.99/10 anyway so I wasn’t bothered.

Not as simple as that. Style of play and how a player is used makes all the difference.

The whole team revolved around N'Diaye last season....all our midfielders, especially Norwood were looking to pass to him.
So N'Diaye was always switched on...showing for the ball because he know, almost every time he'd receive it.

At Marseille N'Diaye runs into space showing for the ball but they don't pass to him as much.

Then there's the issue of confidence, feeling wanted by the players and the fans.

That's why I'm a big believer that manager changes can be more effective than people think.
Wednesday have changed manager, have the same players, still not getting the results but almost immediately now look a much better team.
It's all about recognising players strengths and weaknesses and forming a "team" to suit, trying to give players confidence

It's all about recognising players strengths and weaknesses and forming a "team" to suit, trying to give players
Think we all get your your point, but the higher the level a player goes it's not as simple as you describe, maybe he would have improved with Heckys arm around him, but there's no guarantee in any player that he could step up, but we may never know, he wanted to go and so far it's not worked like at United, and he would have been a marked man right from the off

Said he's finding it tough to hold down a regular spot in the team and
they mentioned how tough it was to play in front of the Marseille crowd saying playing at Bramall Lane was less pressure and so much easier because the French crowd were more unforgiving and don't give new players a chance in the same way.

That's odd, I thought the in thing was to shit on the likes of Traore, Slimane, Larouci etc. What changed?

Ndiaye for us was a world beater, was loved and adored. For a team of marseilles quality though he’s just another squad player. Not the superstar he was here.

In truth i think whilst he undoubtedly would improve our team, and one of the best players we’ve witnessed i still think he was over hyped as world-class by some of our fans. We’re just used to working class cloggers. Compared to some creative players in world football he’s decent but nothing more. Personally i think he’s a low end prem creative player. Zaha for example is a much better player and all he managed is palace and galatasary.

I think ndiaye thrives in a team where he is the focus, he will never have that at a ‘big’ team.

Think we all get your your point, but the higher the level a player goes it's not as simple as you describe, maybe he would have improved with Heckys arm around him, but there's no guarantee in any player that he could step up, but we may never know, he wanted to go and so far it's not worked like at United, and he would have been a marked man right from the off
Fair point

It’s paralleled with Hamer - standout in the championship, not so much in the premiership

The stronger EPL defence may have seen Ndaiye struggle week in week out, or he may have produced the FA cup Spurs performance regularly, what’s evident in both cases is performing at the top level every game isn’t easy

He would have done fine in the PL I have no doubt. The team now is lacking what he gives its so evident. We wouldn't be in such a mess that we are now if he was still at Bramall Lane. I`m not saying we would be top half of the table but I think we would be a bit better off than we are now. Its not hard is it with the current shambles.

He would have done fine in the PL I have no doubt.

Where did you dream that up from, have you read anything in this post? He's not doing well at all in a much less competitive league, with better players around him, right now.

Where did you dream that up from, have you read anything in this post? He's not doing well at all in a much less competitive league, with better players around him, right now.
I agree with some of what you say, the only counter to that is that at marseille he’s being played out of position, on the right wing from what i’ve seen, and he’s no longer the creative focus either so has less of the ball and less freedom. 2 quite big changes to his game.

I agree though that i think he would find the prem a big challenge still, especially under heckys tactics. Much like McAtee is in this team against tougher oppo. People who thought he would end up at City are ridiculously over hyping his ability. Incredible player for us, but in the context of the prem/world football he would be a decent player but nothing more.

I agree with some of what you say, the only counter to that is that at marseille he’s being played out of position, on the right wing from what i’ve seen, and he’s no longer the creative focus either so has less of the ball and less freedom. 2 quite big changes to his game.

I agree though that i think he would find the prem a big challenge still, especially under heckys tactics. Much like McAtee is in this team against tougher oppo. People who thought he would end up at City are ridiculously over hyping his ability. Incredible player for us, but in the context of the prem/world football he would be a decent player but nothing more.
Yes you're right he is out of position, but he's playing their because there's better players in his old central position at Marseille.

As much as I loved Ndiaye, I still think he'd be getting squashed out of the game a lot in the prem, much like Archer is now.

Yeah and I also read they are not passing to him and playing him out of position. He needs to be in a team built round him which is what he had at the Lane. You can't compare Marseille to Sheffield United.

Back
Top Bottom