Mark Clattenburg on United and McBurnie

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This is why the smaller clubs get bad decisions constantly.
On the other hand the ref did award us the pen yesterday and didn’t award Wham one at the end .

We also did get the pen against Wolves when nearly every pundit bar Michael Brown said it was never a pen .

I think on the whole the refs we have had this season have been generally fair tbh 🫤

On the other hand the ref did award us the pen yesterday and didn’t award Wham one at the end .

We also did get the pen against Wolves when nearly every pundit bar Michael Brown said it was never a pen .

I think on the whole the refs we have had this season have been generally fair tbh 🫤
Don’t get me wrong I do agree with you somewhat. I wasn’t meaning us per se, but as a general rule the bigger clubs do get the bigger decisions etc.

Don’t get me wrong I do agree with you somewhat. I wasn’t meaning us per se, but as a general rule the bigger clubs do get the bigger decisions etc.
Possibly

And it’s perfectly ok not to agree with me - I’ll not shout you down like some

Although I get a bit tired of everyone screaming bias and corruption against us, these are pretty worrying comments from ex-PL ref Mark Clattenburg.

View attachment 177949

Basically saying you know what type of team Sheff United are, and you know what type of player McBurnie is, so you know they're going to foul the goalkeeper. So he's saying you should have already made up your mind about us before making the decision?

Is this attitude shared across the rest of the Premier League referees? Judging by the fouls on McBurnie that go unpunished every week, you'd have to say yes.
Thankfully the ref didn't have that same conditioned bias yesterday.

I've noticed a fair few "former Premier League referees" who've been wheeled out to make controversial statements about refereeing decisions recently to justify the salary they receive from media companies. Hardly much worth to the newspapers if they just agree with all the decisions and nobody clicks on the articles/sees the ads...

I'm not against former refs speaking about their days in the PL and being a little controversial rather than towing the line unequivocally.

However, it can be eye-opening and confirm your suspicions.

This isn't the first time recently Clattenburg has spoken out about how he already had pre-conceived ideas of players and used that to make decisions in games.

I've also had people say I'm wrong for saying referees don't stop play when time is up, particularly if it looks like one team might score in the next 30 seconds say. Mark Halsey admitted on radio that he always did that and thought it was the right thing to do. Unless I'm grossly mistaken, that doesn't form part of the laws of the game.

Not a McBurnie fan but he's had no protection from the ref's this season. He must be fouled 20 times a game and never gets fuck all, in fact most ref's give free kicks the other way.
Although I get a bit tired of everyone screaming bias and corruption against us, these are pretty worrying comments from ex-PL ref Mark Clattenburg.

View attachment 177949

Basically saying you know what type of team Sheff United are, and you know what type of player McBurnie is, so you know they're going to foul the goalkeeper. So he's saying you should have already made up your mind about us before making the decision?

Is this attitude shared across the rest of the Premier League referees? Judging by the fouls on McBurnie that go unpunished every week, you'd have to say yes.

View attachment 177949

So he is admitting that referees rather than going into every game as a fresh sheet, know what clubs are like. Nothing like prejudicing decisions is there! Ultimate arbiters may arse

It is unfortunate that the PGMOL continue to resist officials explaining their decisions publicly. In the instance of Sailsburys decision to award the Blades a penalty I am certain he would say the West Ham defender pushed Mcburnie whilst he was in the air preventing him heading the ball. That was where his eyes were focused and the reason why he blew for a foul. The goalkeeper and Mcb coming together was as a direct result of the push on Mcb and not the reason for the penalty. That was the view half the Kop had on the incident.

It would also make Clattenburg, Halsey, Danny Murphy, Cole and Ferdinand and all the other so called experts look stupid which is what they are. The absence of this information allows bias to creep in and unfounded allegations about SUFC and its centre forward to gain credence. Hopefully Howard Webb will have seen the mutterings of Clattenburg and will come out and support Sailsbury's decision and make the pundits/ ex officials look like the set of mugs they are.

It is unfortunate that the PGMOL continue to resist officials explaining their decisions publicly. In the instance of Sailsburys decision to award the Blades a penalty I am certain he would say the West Ham defender pushed Mcburnie whilst he was in the air preventing him heading the ball. That was where his eyes were focused and the reason why he blew for a foul. The goalkeeper and Mcb coming together was as a direct result of the push on Mcb and not the reason for the penalty. That was the view half the Kop had on the incident.

It would also make Clattenburg, Halsey, Danny Murphy, Cole and Ferdinand and all the other so called experts look stupid which is what they are. The absence of this information allows bias to creep in and unfounded allegations about SUFC and its centre forward to gain credence. Hopefully Howard Webb will have seen the mutterings of Clattenburg and will come out and support Sailsbury's decision and make the pundits/ ex officials look like the set of mugs they are.

I think that tit Clattenburg thinks Warnock is still manager, that we still have 11 strikers many who are bruisers and that we still make Brewster style challenges every week.

He has spent too long filling his bank account since he last officiated a PL match.

I think that tit Clattenburg thinks Warnock is still manager, that we still have 11 strikers many who are bruisers and that we still make Brewster style challenges every week.

He has spent too long filling his bank account since he last officiated a PL match.
Band wagon jumper. Bet he's not even watched the match and picked up on Murphys comments on MOTD last night about Mcb's flailing arm.

Surprised Simon Jordan hasn't added his two penneth after his previous appalling comment that Mcb was a thug. No doubt he would advocate Mcb being incarcerated for the assault on Areola and SUFC being deducted a point because his unbiased journalist mate is a Florist fan and its not right that a great European giant may be caught by a set of uncouth Yorkshire cloggers.

This is very very worrying. Like others have said, it shows without a doubt that referees come with preconceived ideas about Sheffield United and Oli McBurnie. I have absolutely no problem with "experts" analysing crucial moments and voicing their opinion that the ref was wrong/right. But that's not what Clattenburg was saying. Clattenburg's comments are disgusting.

FWIW, in my opinion, the decision was very harsh on West Ham. There was minimal contact by the defender which meant McBurnie didn't have a clean jump for the ball and his arms were in the air because he was off balance and trying to get some jump leverage. The goalkeeper came out to punch the ball but because of McBurnie's left arm being high, couldn't get anywhere near it and the result was he clattered into the back of McBurnie. Harsh? Yes. Will I take it..... you bet your life I will. We've been on the other end of very soft and dubious pen decisions too often to feel embarrassed about being given the benefit of the doubt ourselves.

I wonder if McBurnie has grounds to sue Clattenburg or PGMOL for slander. It does explain a lot of the bewildering VaR decisions, that are not facts but preconceptions.
May go some way to advocate VaR only games, no referees, just robots and sensors.

“If you know football, and you know Sheffield United, and you know McBurnie,”

I cannot believe Clattenburg has just confirmed in one sentence what we’ve known for years. ”you know Sheffield United”…

So what he’s saying is it doesn’t matter who the manager is, it doesn’t matter who the players are, it’s Sheffield United so it’s a foul. Or no foul against the Sheffield United player.

Same with McBurnie, he clearly doesn’t get a fair go. They’ve made their mind up already, he‘s at fault in every 50-50 tackle. Or he must have dove for a pen. I’ve wondered for some time just what he has to do to get a foul against him given. Sunday was an exception.

Can you imagine Klopp‘s reaction if Clattenburg had said that about Liverpool. I really think the referee association should be taking him to task over these comments.

I agree but I doubt we will get an explanation from him even if we asked.
Probably not but if he’s making comments like that then he should be prepared to be challenged on them.

In my opinion comments like that are bringing the game into dispute and questioning the integrity of us as a club and McBurnie as an individual.

If United publicly came out and asked for an explanation, I would take great pleasure in seeing him squirm

Back
Top Bottom