Match Thread Manchester City v. Sheffield United - 30th December 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

MANC
MANC
MANC

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1703761786831.png vs. 1703761793576.png

Premier League Matchweek 20 - Saturday 30th December 2023 - 15:00 - Etihad Stadium
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Player Ratings:
Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/manchester-city-vs-sheffield-united.676/

Officials:

Referee: David Coote
Assistants: Tim Wood, Derek Eaton
Fourth Official: Chris Kavanagh
VAR: Simon Hooper
Assistant VAR: Simon Long

🚗Matchday Parking:

Stuck for somewhere to park? - CLICK HERE FOR STADIUM PARKING

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su
Threads: https://www.threads.net/@s24su
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/s24su/

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

VPNAd.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 11.14.00.png

What is the fucking point.
This becomes such a fairly made point now. Train, food, ticket, now beer, and all to watch us give up really before a ball's kicked.

I know for goal difference it's better to keep the score down....but pride-wise, it's pretty bleeding humiliating isn't it when you pose such little threat or ambition, the opposition don't even need to try and score.

That last half hour we barely touched it, they barely attacked, and our only worthwhile attack we passed it back to Wes. Fair play to him for trying to liven it up by passing it to their players in front of our goal every time it went near him.

Last edited:

We rode our luck massively in the game against them earlier this season. To my eyes this was a slightly better display in terms of our shape but we were obviously far outclassed again and never really looked like getting back in it once they scored.

You know what the game is gonna look like vs City. It'll be a lot of 5-4-1 sitting in, hope you keep them out, maybe create something on the break or push for something in the last 10 if it's only 0-1.

First half was ok, I don't think 0-0 would have been unreasonable. They didn't create too much and we had a couple half chances. Rodri's goal was a good strike, feels like Wes & Robbo could do better but he takes it quickly. Second half they stepped it up a bit and once the second went in the game was dead.

We need to be better in possession, there was some really sloppy stuff when we were trying to play out but City are also great at having a good defensive structure and winning the ball back quickly so I won't be too critical.

Wilder has some time to work with the players now and make a couple of moves in the transfer window so I'll be interested to see how we look after that.

Nice to see RND and Brewster on the pitch. I'm expecting more from RND than Brewster but hope they can both stay fit.

Bogle great again.
Rodri always seems to cause us problems

the Wilder-Guardiola pact stays in place. Don’t kick the shit out of us, we won’t humiliate you.

That football City play bores the arse off me.

Bogle MOTM. Very good.

Well organised again but they are far too good for us of course.

Nice to see RND back.

I do not see any point in Brewster playing. None whatsoever.

I would have liked Archer on earlier. Osula looked gassed.
Completely agree with boring citeh. Highly effective but dull as dishwater. Pass, pass, pass, going nowhere

we lost, but ill take that 2-0 1 of them down to bad luck on our part. souza will be likely criticised for losing the tackle which gave Rodri space he needed to run into. which for me is bad luck. but he more than made up for that saving almost a certain goal, with recovery run when man city were were clear on goal

they destroyed better teams in the CL & we defended resolutely. wouldve like more in attack 2nd half but then this is man city

sometimes you got to disregard the result, to be able to watch the blades v arguably the best in the world in a great stadium is a fantastic privilege

Rodri always seems to cause us problems
Fantastic player isn't he? Always easier to appreciate when you see them against your side. Have felt the same whenever I've seen Van Dijk against us. Just several tiers above anything we have

82% possession for City.

That’s a club record for them.

I get that you can’t go there and take them on but that’s embarrassing.
That's nothing to do with tactics or management instructions
The players confidence is shot
They can't string two passes together and pass it back to the keeper under the slightest sign of pressure

Don't know if any thing can be done about that but Norwood as a senior pro sets a gret example by passing the buck to the nearest and safest player he can ask quickly as possible

Blades only get 1 yellow card booking (Bogle) this afternoon v Man City. Not bad with some of the silly harsh booking the Blades have had prior to this afternoon match in PL

This becomes such a fairly made point now. Train, food, ticket, now beer, and all to watch us give up really before a ball's kicked.

I know for goal difference it's better to keep the score down....but pride-wise, it's pretty bleeding humiliating isn't it when you pose such little threat or ambition, the opposition don't even need to try and score.

That last half hour we barely touched it, they barely attacked, and our only worthwhile attack we passed it back to Wes. Fair play to him for trying to liven it up by passing it to their players in front of our goal every time it went near him.
in a way i agree - but if we had have had a go - what would have been the reaction if we had got stuffed 6 or 7 ?

Real dilema TBH .

I would say that the tactics kina worked for the best part - but are they the tactics we all want , or are capable of when playing the world club champions?

I didn’t even bother watching, utterly pointless even playing these matches.

Best league in the world? What a load of bollocks! Football is supposed to be entertaining with some form of competitiveness.

There's been games between the best and worst teams in the league since 1888 FYI, and they usually go like this

Blades only get 1 yellow card booking (Bogle) this afternoon v Man City. Not bad with some of the silly harsh booking the Blades have had prior to this afternoon match in PL

To be fair, we need to get close to their players in order to foul them

I give credit to how wilder has improved our structure defensively, a very quick and tangible improvement we’ve seen in the results/performance. But thats only a small part of the game. We still aren’t approaching games like we wan’t to win. Just damage limitation.

Like i say, luton are a far superior footballing team to this, the players and budgets aren’t too different. We should be able to play better than this with the ball.

I would expect to see an improvement soon in our footballing play. Some of our players (norwood in particular) first thought is to launch it into channel and hope that one of the boys can chase it. It’s such primitive football.
Let’s see what happens next month both in the transfer market and on the training ground.
Into rd4 and three points from WHU would show some progress

Felt very much like the 2-0 to Liverpool at Anfield under Wilder, we hardly laid a glove.

We’re that far back on points we now need to win away games so this sit back and soak up pressure tactic has got to change.

There's been games between the best and worst teams in the league since 1888 FYI, and they usually go like this

Of course there has always been a gap in quality between the best and worst teams, but in recent years the gap has been the biggest it’s ever been.

You just need to take a look at the number of points the champions are amassing each season.

Of course there has always been a gap in quality between the best and worst teams, but in recent years the gap has been the biggest it’s ever been.

You just need to take a look at the number of points the champions are amassing each season.

I don't disagree that the league has got extremely top heavy - that's as a result of the top 2-3 twatting 60% of the league guaranteed, rather than maybe 30%. The 30% would still have got twatted in any season

I can’t see any positive in being beaten 2-0. It doesn’t tell the story of the game, either, as if we were somehow “still in it”. We gave up as soon as the second goal went in, literally decided there was no point trying to get anything from the game.
Only Bogle comes out with genuine credit for today’s performance, yet again.
To lose only 2-0 with the team that started against this multi- billion pound tanker is the positive. If we had been trounced 6-0 the damage to self belief would have been horrific - everybody expected a pasting. Wilder avoided that with a well executed defence plan.

Of course we can't bounce around for an amazing accomplishment, but no need for wrist slashing tonight 2-0 is not embarrassing. I think the players are fighting more for Wilder that's a huge positive.

To lose only 2-0 with the team that started against this multi- billion pound tanker is the positive. If we had been trounced 6-0 the damage to self belief would have been horrific - everybody expected a pasting

If your self belief was to go if you concede six against the best team in the world when everyone expects you to concede six then that would raise serious questions as to both the player's mentality, and the level of deludamol they've been taking as to how good they think they are. You would think that if City did break the scoreboard the reaction would be "par for the course, Gillingham next" rather than a complete breakdown. Or at least hope that to be the case

I don't disagree that the league has got extremely top heavy - that's as a result of the top 2-3 twatting 60% of the league guaranteed, rather than maybe 30%. The 30% would still have got twatted in any season

It’s possibly the style of play these days that makes the gap look even worse.

Man City can keep the ball for 80% of the time and effectively turn the match into an attack vs defence training session. That level of game management never used to happen in years gone by.

The difference in quality that comes off the bench almost every game is boarderline laughable..

..when we brought Osborn on for the last ten minutes it was like something off Soccer Aid.

Just watched the scores get announced on sky sports... and we were the only team not to get mentioned

"Man city won 2-0 thanks to a..."

The bias is everywhere not just referee's

Completely agree with boring citeh. Highly effective but dull as dishwater. Pass, pass, pass, going nowhere
You can’t be serious surly? They routinely win 5,6,7 nil. Win literally everything there is to win and have multiple players that would make the world 11. I don’t like city one bit but boring they are not

That's nothing to do with tactics or management instructions
The players confidence is shot
They can't string two passes together and pass it back to the keeper under the slightest sign of pressure

Don't know if any thing can be done about that but Norwood as a senior pro sets a gret example by passing the buck to the nearest and safest player he can ask quickly as possible
And asks for Rodris shirt at the end.Not saying Rodri's not a great player just you don't do things like that when on equal terms with the opposition.
It's the kind of things that lower league players do in Cup matches.Was he captain! If so that's pathetic .

You can’t be serious surly? They routinely win 5,6,7 nil. Win literally everything there is to win and have multiple players that would make the world 11. I don’t like city one bit but boring they are not
Not this season....their fans seem to agree from their Forum too (though they're quite chuffed with their 5 trophies and all that)

It was obvious to everyone that the skill gap was huge.. we were playing perhaps the best team in the world; heck they showed off all 5 trophies won in 2023!!

Whatever mistakes were made to put this team together, I personally think its very unfair to say the players didn't give a damn in this game, they gave everything they had but when you're playing a team with the financing and player caliber that MCI had, well, it was great experience and experiences we can use going forward.

Give the team some credit for keeping it at 0-2.

toledo

We kept them down to 4 shots
On both goals we got caught napping
Robinson too slow to react on first
And bogle was very poor on second but that's all it takes against top sides

We also created chances and didn't take them but it really doesn't help when you work the ball to the opponents area just to pass it all the way back to your keeper because you're so scared of taking a risk

Underwhelmed. Still, that’s another ground ticked off, taking me to 118 in total, 80 of the current 92, and 18 of the 20 Premier League grounds.

I also took the biggest drenching I’ve ever had walking away from a match in 52 years of watching football.

Back
Top Bottom