Maddy Cusack - SUFC Investigation Statement

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Here goes nothing
The following is my interpretation. Based on observation and laypersons reading up of the science. These are my words, not Sally's. I may be wrong. I have had a brief opportunity to ask Sally a few things. But, United are quite secretive about the techniques. Because they think it gives us a competitive advantage over other Academies.

Some conventional coaching is about triggers. Getting players to react in certain ways when certain things happen. Track him. Be on his left shoulder. Defensive drills etc.

But you can also drill a player how to think. And I don't mean - if he overlaps I need to go with him. I mean how to be calm, how to be focused, how to concentrate, how to relax. Those sort of things.

The Academy work on those mind skills. For instance, we all see the running around cones preparation for the body. They also do routines and drills that prepare the head. Yes. Really.

So. A conventional coach may yell - get tighter on him. But, during a game, Sally will not yell - get calmer. Instead, she'll use a trigger word, a trigger sentence, even a trigger tone of voice which resets the players head into a safe space (I know, but that's the best way I can explain it).

Obviously that phrase will not be - what is the capital of Montenegro. But, it will just be a gentle phrase. And specific to each player. Like a personalised plan for each player.

She's not telling them how to play. She's not telling them what to think. She's not even telling them how to feel. But, through the preparation and drills and trigger phrases she's clearing their heads (for example). You can tell the players respect her and value what she says.

Say there's a free kick over the far side. It's in range. They're going to do a routine they've drilled at Shirecliffe. Sally will call over a nearby player and say something to him - I don't know, maybe - tell Sydie to take his breath and look at his hands. That player will jog over and tell Sydie. He'll score. He doesn't run to the bench and point at the coach who worked out the blocking routine. He runs over and points at Sally, both with a beaming smile.

Fascinating.
That sounds a bit eccentric. Svengali had that sort of power over his acolyte, but not in a good way. It was seen as sinister. I would have thought a healthier mental position is to think that the best way to score is to do it yourself by hitting the ball into the net, rather than relying on a third party telling him some magic trigger words.

What happens to the player if either he or Sally moves to another club?

What is this new information, its all a bit secretive isn't it?

We're making ourselves look like proper idiots here.

As i've said multiple times. Seems the club are covering something up
In the circumstances I would hope that the factors involved in Maddy's death would have been thoroughly investigated - and it appears they possibly weren't.

That sounds a bit eccentric. Svengali had that sort of power over his acolyte, but not in a good way. It was seen as sinister. I would have thought a healthier mental position is to think that the best way to score is to do it yourself by hitting the ball into the net, rather than relying on a third party telling him some magic trigger words.

What happens to the player if either he or Sally moves to another club?
It read to me that it was more about controlling emotions. Techniques for dealing with stress/panic, fight or flight, all that business. Innovative stuff that could be valuable to kids no matter how their career goes. I wouldn't dismiss it as bullshit 'magic words'. It seems like yet another example of our academy trying to give us an edge of some kind.

In the circumstances I would hope that the factors involved in Maddy's death would have been thoroughly investigated - and it appears they possibly weren't.

Appoint Muppets you get a comedy show.

Sacked by his agency as a result of new information coming to light that he was in a relationship with a player before he came to us. SUFC have followed suit as a consequence.

Is this not a fairly regular occurrence in women's football? It's against the FA's safeguarding guidelines and Mark Sampson was sacked as England manager because of it, but there's been enough talk about it to know it goes on, with managers of both sexes.

I'm not sure a - presumably - legal and consensual relationship warrants the outpouring of abuse on social media.

The imbalance of power means there is no way of being sure the relationship was consensual hence the regulations being in place

It's almost like it's about something a hell of a lot more personal and important than an assist stat.

Time to raise awareness, this is happening alot..

Given the painful circumstances it always seemed strange he would just return to work.
Whatever the reason, it feels right he's gone now.

The imbalance of power means there is no way of being sure the relationship was consensual hence the regulations being in place

Of course, but one can infer if this continues to be a HR rather than legal issue. Sacking in line with the FA policy is entirely correct as the precedent has been set. But applying "real world" sensibilities, a workplace affair is hardly worthy of outrage.

It's not the smoking gun some on Xwitter seem to believe for pinning another player's suicide at his door.

Time to raise awareness, this is happening alot..

Raise awareness of what?

It's a statement to say they've sacked him as they consider his position untenable? Assuming their problem or circumstances leading to that is actually provable in some way, is that the right time and forum to be airing the reasons?

I don't have a "dog in the fight" other than wanting the club to do the right thing and the right thing by everyone, but I really don't understand the clamour for personal information to be divulged by a business to all and sundry, especially in such circumstances, a young lass has lost her life, a family is grieving and the club have sacked an employee. You'd hope anything in direct correlation to the investigation was divulged to where it should be and dealt with properly, not stuck in the programme/online so people could pontificate about it on X.

The other month, people were demanding personal medical details about Jebbo. Sometimes, there's information that's private and private for a reason.

Raise awareness of what?

It's a statement to say they've sacked him as they consider his position untenable? Assuming their problem or circumstances leading to that is actually provable in some way, is that the right time and forum to be airing the reasons?

I don't have a "dog in the fight" other than wanting the club to do the right thing and the right thing by everyone, but I really don't understand the clamour for personal information to be divulged by a business to all and sundry, especially in such circumstances, a young lass has lost her life, a family is grieving and the club have sacked an employee. You'd hope anything in direct correlation to the investigation was divulged to where it should be and dealt with properly, not stuck in the programme/online so people could pontificate about it on X.

The other month, people were demanding personal medical details about Jebbo. Sometimes, there's information that's private and private for a reason.

I think the scrutiny upon this guy, previously suspended, had an allegation made regarding a player who ended her life against him, returned to work only for new information to then "come to light".

That doesn't put the club in good light at all, and many critics would say they stuck by him for much longer than they should have.

Maybe the clubs practises/investigations could be questioned. If there is no criminal investigation they should be well within their right to disclose why he was sacked.

Maybe the clubs practises/investigations could be questioned. If there is no criminal investigation they should be well within their right to disclose why he was sacked.

They absolutely should be, especially in the context of how this has gone down.

That's separate, however, to throwing a load of additional detail into a statement about having just relieved someone of their position.

You're wanting to "raise awareness" on why he was sacked? or something wider?

There's lots to shoot at, but I'm unsure it's that they haven't chucked a load more sensitive detail in that very statement - especially, if there's any further investigations or actions ongoing.

They absolutely should be, especially in the context of how this has gone down.

That's separate, however, to throwing a load of additional detail into a statement about having just relieved someone of their position.

You're wanting to "raise awareness" on why he was sacked? or something wider?

There's lots to shoot at, but I'm unsure it's that they haven't chucked a load more sensitive detail in that very statement.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear.

If this is something that he's done (which seems to be the case) that has had similarities in the last couple of years, awareness should be raised to stop this kind of behaviour.

Someone further up shown a few cases where male managers of women's teams seem to have taken advantage of working with women athletes daily, and if this is similar, then cases like these need to be heard so things can be put in place to stop it happening in future.

This new evidence has only come to light after the FA have opened their own investigation into Maddy's death, one would question why the FA got this info but we couldn't as a club during our own investigation, which ultimately cleared him.

Raise awareness of what?

Absolutely spot on

The Athletic is reporting this morning that Morgan had a relationship with one of his players at Leicester while she was 17 (he says 18) and he was in his late twenties and managing the women’s side.

It seems the woman went to The Athletic with this story which had until that point remained a secret. After presenting it to the club, the club acted.

For me, while this maybe (further) highlights Morgan’s unsuitability as a manager, it changes nothing otherwise. The club had no idea. It doesn’t mean the club f*cked up. Nor does it even necessarily make any difference to the Club’s handling of the whole situation. Of course on Twitter this element will be completely missed but that’s Twitter and you should just never bother reading underneath the posts made my anyone with a significant following, including football clubs.

The Athletic is reporting this morning that Morgan had a relationship with one of his players at Leicester while she was 17 (he says 18) and he was in his late twenties and managing the women’s side.

It seems the woman went to The Athletic with this story which had until that point remained a secret. After presenting it to the club, the club acted.

For me, while this maybe (further) highlights Morgan’s unsuitability as a manager, it changes nothing otherwise. The club had no idea. It doesn’t mean the club f*cked up. Nor does it even necessarily make any difference to the Club’s handling of the whole situation. Of course on Twitter this element will be completely missed but that’s Twitter and you should just never bother reading underneath the posts made my anyone with a significant following, including football clubs.

United's problem may end up being the FA investigation, if it finds stuff the club's own investigation didn't but should have.

United's problem may end up being the FA investigation, if it finds stuff the club's own investigation didn't but should have.
Totally. I just thought the further criticism the club was getting over something which neither they nor anyone other than the people involved knew about was a bit ridiculous.

Thank fuck he’s gone but seems like a massive mistake to have let him back in the first place. Lessons need to be learnt
Standard corporate stuff.

You can't have an investigation clear everyone and then sack him straight away. That implies you're disagreeing with the investigation (and the company obviously wants everyone to be cleared). At the very least you'd leave someone able to say "Hey, you just spent a month or two finding I did nothing wrong, there can't possibly be grounds for dismissal". Media will ask "If you found no wrongdoing then what are you sacking him for?".

What you do is you bring them back, let the dust settle a little, then come up with a plausible reason to get rid. Now when people ask why they were sacked the answer is "We already put out a statement, it was completely unrelated to anything else".

It's about distancing and keeping plausible deniability. We all know someone can't possibly keep a position like Morgan's even if they're completely free of any impropriety. This is how business is done.

Standard corporate stuff.

You can't have an investigation clear everyone and then sack him straight away. That implies you're disagreeing with the investigation (and the company obviously wants everyone to be cleared). At the very least you'd leave someone able to say "Hey, you just spent a month or two finding I did nothing wrong, there can't possibly be grounds for dismissal". Media will ask "If you found no wrongdoing then what are you sacking him for?".

What you do is you bring them back, let the dust settle a little, then come up with a plausible reason to get rid. Now when people ask why they were sacked the answer is "We already put out a statement, it was completely unrelated to anything else".

It's about distancing and keeping plausible deniability. We all know someone can't possibly keep a position like Morgan's even if they're completely free of any impropriety. This is how business is done.
The club have a duty of care to the players, mostly young women, but instead they let this guy back into his position of power with them. The investigation was roundly criticised for being useless, United could have taken a pause post investigation or asked the FA to get involved rather than reinstating him immediately to his post.

The club have a duty of care to the players, mostly young women, but instead they let this guy back into his position of power with them. The investigation was roundly criticised for being useless, United could have taken a pause post investigation or asked the FA to get involved rather than reinstating him immediately to his post.
Yep. But this is how corporate shenanigans often go. Clear everyone, sack who you need to sack later.

Although worth saying that the stuff that's coming to light that's gestured at in the club statement sounds really, really bad.

Women coaches for women’s teams…it really is that simple. The difference in the sexes involved in a very passionate and confrontational sport is just too big of an emotional gap to bridge.

Back
Top Bottom