Madders returns

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think the underlying reason for fans resentment towards him is because -

1. We cried out for his positive spiel. He sold it to us and we bought it. All of us.

2. He continued to sell it to us and convince us everything was rosey when it was clearly shit (i.e. Hammonds unseen work) which was a passive insult to us. He revealed his true contempt for the fans after the Scunthorpe game when he knew he had nothing to lose and say what he actually meant.

I should be mature and move on, but whenever I see his face it makes my piss itch. Complete fraud.

Bang on. I was all for him... until the season kicked off. Even then, after that Gillingham game, I remember thinking "well, it can only get better from here" except it didn't.

Just noticed John Egan scored in that game though! - EDIT scratch that, for some reason I've found myself re-watching the highlights and it was pretty clearly an own goal by Collins.

Most embarrassing time to support this club when Adkins was here. I hated it. Became a chore to turn up every week. Horrible home kit, awful group of players (his signings made the squad even worse), toxic atmosphere at the Lane, mind-numbing football etc etc.

At least he did bring Billy back though. Sacking him and bringing in Sir Chris has turned out to be one of McCabe's best decisions.

His style worked for Southampton and didn't for us, people act as if he wanted us to fail.
Don't get the hate.

I think he's the sort of manager who does well with good players, but can't get more out of average players. You might say anyone can manage good players but its not that simple as you still have other teams with good players and his infectious personality and ultra positive spirit works when everything is going well. At the Lane he seemed just the same but results weren't forthcoming and his recruitment was woeful and lazy - signing mainly players he already knew and they were past it.

Then there's the interviews which were the same catch phrases every week but with no answers and finally, and most annoyingly, he blamed the bad atmosphere on the fans, not the results. I'd supported him up to the Scunthorpe game and then it was obvious that it was untenable although he probably knew the bullet was coming and he just wanted to have his say. Either way, he is more suited to a smaller club if he can't handle fans being demanding.

My conclusion is that he's more suited to coaching than being the number one ma in charge. I wouldn't boo him though tomorrow I think that lacks class but there probably won't be many more than 7,000 anyway!

In his defence (slight defence) he inherited a large squad of players that were largely not good enough, bar a handful, and one of those was Murphy who was sold after the Gillingham debacle. He also signed Billy Sharp but didn't sign Leon who was available on a free and seemed an obvious good signing to me, but instead he went to Bury.

Sorry but a promotion to a higher Division in first place, surly you do not judge that as lower than 11th in the Division higher? If that's the case it will be fourth.

Two lower finishes than the Adkins season. First was relegation from the third tier in 81/81 (?) second was was our only season in the fourth tier.

Sorry, but 'Madders'? Who the fuck is Madders?

Adkins was left an absolute train wreck by Clough but he demonstrated in various ways just how incompetent he was too.

And he's just a bit of a twat. Not a detestable one by any stretch, but a twat nevertheless.

Well try again. At no point do I say I am a fan. But I wasn’t the only one when he was appointed who thought we had done good. Just didn’t work out for him. He has a decent record elsewhere (in spite of some of the shit posted above) and for whatever reason it didn’t work with us. Let it go.
Or I can carry on thinking he's a twat?

I think he's the sort of manager who does well with good players, but can't get more out of average players. You might say anyone can manage good players but its not that simple as you still have other teams with good players and his infectious personality and ultra positive spirit works when everything is going well. At the Lane he seemed just the same but results weren't forthcoming and his recruitment was woeful and lazy - signing mainly players he already knew and they were past it.

Then there's the interviews which were the same catch phrases every week but with no answers and finally, and most annoyingly, he blamed the bad atmosphere on the fans, not the results. I'd supported him up to the Scunthorpe game and then it was obvious that it was untenable although he probably knew the bullet was coming and he just wanted to have his say. Either way, he is more suited to a smaller club if he can't handle fans being demanding.

My conclusion is that he's more suited to coaching than being the number one ma in charge. I wouldn't boo him though tomorrow I think that lacks class but there probably won't be many more than 7,000 anyway!

In his defence (slight defence) he inherited a large squad of players that were largely not good enough, bar a handful, and one of those was Murphy who was sold after the Gillingham debacle. He also signed Billy Sharp but didn't sign Leon who was available on a free and seemed an obvious good signing to me, but instead he went to Bury.

What did he say after that Scunthorpe game? I was so apathetic by that stage I didn't read anything Blades related until he'd gone but so much has been made of it I'm curious.

What did he say after that Scunthorpe game? I was so apathetic by that stage I didn't read anything Blades related until he'd gone but so much has been made of it I'm curious.

I found the interview but couldn't get it to work! Maybe you'll have better luck. Basically said we were negative fans from day one of his tenure and its Sheff U fans always have being negative, probably always will.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03tjfh8

He got stroppy with the fans, basically told us to fuck off in Adkins-speak

I found the interview but couldn't get it to work! Maybe you'll have better luck. Basically said we were negative fans from day one of his tenure and its Sheff U fans always have being negative, probably always will.

Thanks, yes it worked fine, very interesting, sums it all up really, an appropriate epitaph.

All manager are judged by the entertainment they provide to the fans
Say if it was ten pounds for every one per cent of quality football provided I reckon he owes us 380000 pounds

All manager are judged by the entertainment they provide to the fans
Say if it was ten pounds for every one per cent of quality football provided I reckon he owes us 380000 pounds

You were telling us all to get behind ‘Madders’ weren’t you?

You and William Foulkes?

In fact only Barney called him right from the off.

Thanks, yes it worked fine, very interesting, sums it all up really, an appropriate epitaph.

I couldn't believe it when he said that but it was just after the game and clearly he was pissed off. We are often critical as a fan base but I would say all bigger clubs are like that, especially when under performing as we were.

I couldn't believe it when he said that but it was just after the game and clearly he was pissed off. We are often critical as a fan base but I would say all bigger clubs are like that, especially when under performing as we were.
Yep, it probably was a difficult period for him too (mainly self-inflicted of course) and ironically he was probably more honest and straight talking in this piece than many of the others I've heard.

By February it was clear we were dead ducks

I found the interview but couldn't get it to work! MBut it is a great football club. Passionate supporters who want to see their team full of passion.

Read more at: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spo...s-on-first-return-down-the-lane-1-9299404aybe you'll have better luck. Basically said we were negative fans from day one of his tenure and its Sheff U fans always have being negative, probably always will.

He’s saluting our passion now:-

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spo...-fans-on-first-return-down-the-lane-1-9299404

That’s probably what he meant when he said “you know what the atmosphere is going to be like here at Sheffield United. It always has been and maybe always will be. That’s the nature of it.”

So you see, he admires our passion and it was all just a big misunderstanding really.

He should get the same standing ovation he fort when he and the players left the pitch at Gillingham.
That was a pretty low moment to be a Blade

He’s saluting our passion now:-

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spo...-fans-on-first-return-down-the-lane-1-9299404

That’s probably what he meant when he said “you know what the atmosphere is going to be like here at Sheffield United. It always has been and maybe always will be. That’s the nature of it.”

So you see, he admires our passion and it was all just a big misunderstanding really.

He can spin it whatever way he wants but I'm sure he'll be saying that our fans will turn on the team if we don't start well etc etc. However they'll be hardly the usual atmosphere tonight anyway being 7,000 or so only there. I fancy us to win by one clear goal.

Decent bloke unlike the previous Nigel who was in charge.

Useless manager though. Remember he thought Hammond was the answer to our issues.
Whose the most useless twat to ever pull on a Sheffield United shirt?

That's the only question to which Hammond is the answer

If he has a sense of humour he'll rock up tonight in a Dean Hammond mask and stand there in the technical area with it in place all night.

Never has a single player so summed up a managers entire tenure at the club.

The chase (for ever!), the final capture (now watch us go), the realisation (he's fucking shite), the refusal to see what everyone else saw (or indeed saw stuff that wasn't actually happening).

Back
Top Bottom