Match Thread Luton Town v. Sheffield United - 28th August 2021

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

LUT
LUT
LUT

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1630094050135.png v. 1630094056482.png
Championship Week 5 - Saturday 27th August 2021 - 15:00 - Kenilworth Road

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - Luton Town vs Sheffield United

Officials:

Referee:
Andy Davies
Assistant Referee: Akil Howson
Assistant Referee: Mark Pottage
Fourth Official: Neil Hair

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

📺
Live TV Coverage
:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

If Slav can't bring any new additions before Tuesday deadline only one way Blades r going down into League 1. Another shambolic performance, very few chances created and hardly any shot on target.

Decent performance other than creating chances

Absolutely no creativity at all

Some mega overreactions from the usual simpletons

We were decent at home to Birmingham but their defence was far too strong easily coping with our attacks.
We were very good at home to Huddersfield, very dominant but struggled to create anything clear cut.

In general play we’re quite good (this bodes well for the season) but chance creation is just not happening (which could mean a season of struggle).

If there are no additions to this team, we will have a relegation battle on our hands. Slav is a proven manager in this division, however, without support from our absentee board, he has no chance to achieve anything. What I fear is that he decides to walk away, irrespective of what salary he is on, the guy has professional pride.
What then??????

I don’t even see 5 players changing this. It’s a shit show and the majority are a disgrace to the badge.

We were decent at home to Birmingham but their defence was far too strong easily coping with our attacks.
We were very good at home to Huddersfield, very dominant but struggled to create anything clear cut.

In general play we’re quite good (this bodes well for the season) but chance creation is just not happening (which could mean a season of struggle).

I agree. It’s just a case of moving it forward more quickly and taking a gamble. Unfortunately, we’re too ingrained in the “don’t give the ball away” mentality because that gets punished in the Premier League. In the Championship, we can afford to give the ball away a bit more - especially in the opponents’ half. The players need to realise this quickly, and lose their fear.

Got to give the manager time, his record speaks for itself.

I didn't expect second bottom and nine points off top two after five games though 😐
It's not time he needs it is players. Until our midfield is completely replaced, with other additions too, nothing will change. It is too deeply ingrained in them now that this is their level. It's very sad but they are completely done here.

43m for Brewster and Mcburnie. FORTY THREE MILLION.
One that shoves bouncy balls in his boots before the game and would get out-paced by captain blade.
The other that manages to enter the pitch and then magically reappear in the dressing room at the end of the game having gone missing
One that hasn't scored a league goal in what is now a full year.

That might be the grimmest ten quid I’ve ever spent..

Defense scares me to death
Midfield creates nothing
Forward line nonexistent

only highlights were Bogle and Freeman for injecting some energy

Fair blandly terrible performance. First half was pretty equal for me. We had more of the ball but they looked livelier. They should have scored second half. Terrible refereeing when they were clean through, they just needed to make a sideways pass when Wes dropped a bollock and had 4 on 2 at one stage. We looked clueless. Zero movement upfront. The strikers need things throwing at them. There's no one to pass to and it's putting extra pressure on the defenders. You could see Bogle getting frustrated with it. Nothing much in midfield. Every one of them lost the ball under pressure and produced a loose pass. Sloppy at the back and we looked poor there. They got through us far too easily and we insist on passing it around. We looked slightly better with Freeman on. Didn't really come off for him but at least we looked slightly more dangerous.

A point towards safety. 11 behind Fulham already

Wes - 4 - First keeper in the history of football to get cramp? Fairly solid first half apart from a charge and punch he was very lucky with (could have easily bounced over him with a bit of spin on it). Took a touch and lost it second half and they hit the post. pass to the side and they score. Did pretty well in the air but comes out a long way to claim things.
Davies - 4 - Sloppy. Looks quite assured on the ball but defensively almost dropped a bollock trying to shepherd it out and some loose passes.
Egan - 5 - Won a fair amount of headers but didn't look entirely secure. The defence looked a mess at times and was fortunate on a few occasions
Basham - 3 - Thought he was poor and an accident waiting to happen. All their play came down our left and is too easy to turn. got beaten way too easily.
RND - 4 - Not convinced by him. Not the greatest defensively and little end product going forward. More steady than anything else.
Baldock - 3- As Bash. Way too easily beaten and doesn't get close enough to cut out crosses. Looks like that injury might keep him out for a while
Fleck - 4 - Played a couple of good balls, lost the ball and gave one away badly. There's just not much there an seems to drift through games
Norwood - 4 - At least wants the ball but for a playmaker seems to lack vision. Did a bit better defensively at least but uninspiring
Berge - 5 - Sloppy and got caught on the ball again. Looks dangerous when getting forward but doesn't do it nearly well enough. He looks ponderous at times, as if he's just going through the motions.
McBurnie - 5 - Started better but the problem is that if he's coming back or wide for the ball there's nothing in the middle. Got progressively less effective before coming off. Got his head on a couple of things but nowhere near.
Sharp - 3 - Thought he was fairly dire today. He's far too static. Just stands and waits in the middle. The two times he got great balls to him and had the chance to set a player free he completely stuffed it up. Shouldn't be starting for me, but then again who on earth is there?

Subs

Freeman - 6 - Came on at half time and played behind the strikers. We looked a little more dangerous with him on and he tried to make things happen (but nothing really came off). Looks overweight and slow but still better than anyone else today.
Bogle - 4 - Defensively he just doesn't read the game well and in weak in the tackle and nothing in the header. Bit more lively going forward but no end product.
Brewster - 0 - Appalling. Worse cross I've ever seen. Almost got to the halfway line. I'm starting to believe he's an elaborate joke. A performance artist taking the piss out of footballers.

Slav - 2 - We went back to the same set-up which hasn't worked for so long now. We had nothing going forward. You can hear the back-room staff shouting and screaming throughout but for all we kept the ball and played it nicely sideways and back there's no penetration. Changed formation and pushed Freeman into the Duffy role at halftime. Seemed to be working well but defensively made us a lot weaker without really creating anything.

5 games in, 2 draws, one goal and zero hope.

SUTV was ok. The commentary was bad but better than nothing. Stream never a problem. Some interesting replays and camera angles though.

Wonder if the top brass can organize a mass loan of players to somewhere like Galatasaray or Belgrade, maybe having 30,000 rabid lunatics baying for blood every time they fuck up might help them remember their job description is professional footballer not wagestealing cunt.

It's not time he needs it is players. Until our midfield is completely replaced, with other additions too, nothing will change. It is too deeply ingrained in them now that this is their level. It's very sad but they are completely done here.
Undoubtedly needs new players but he still needs time either way.

A ruthless purge like Wilder when he kicked out the shit left by Adkins, is needed now to clear Wilder's shit out to avoid doing a Sunderland.

I don’t even see 5 players changing this. It’s a shit show and the majority are a disgrace to the badge.
Two midfielders better than fleck and Norwood would change it , them 2 are the reason we are crap … they seem to think they have time in the ball and lose possession , not in the championship lads !
Feel sorry for Berge trying to do it on his own , midfield isn’t the root of our problems, how the hell do the forwards score with no service ?
Only one decent ball into the box all the game and mcb fluffed his header

I’ve bever
Two midfielders better than fleck and Norwood would change it , them 2 are the reason we are crap … they seem to think they have time in the ball and lose possession , not in the championship lads !
Feel sorry for Berge trying to do it on his own , midfield isn’t the root of our problems, how the hell do the forwards score with no service ?
Only one decent ball into the box all the game and mcb fluffed his header
I agree with all but berge. Soft as fuck and takes 80 minutes for him to realise he needs to do something. They’re all shit. Hate them all

Fair blandly terrible performance. First half was pretty equal for me. We had more of the ball but they looked livelier. They should have scored second half. Terrible refereeing when they were clean through, they just needed to make a sideways pass when Wes dropped a bollock and had 4 on 2 at one stage. We looked clueless. Zero movement upfront. The strikers need things throwing at them. There's no one to pass to and it's putting extra pressure on the defenders. You could see Bogle getting frustrated with it. Nothing much in midfield. Every one of them lost the ball under pressure and produced a loose pass. Sloppy at the back and we looked poor there. They got through us far too easily and we insist on passing it around. We looked slightly better with Freeman on. Didn't really come off for him but at least we looked slightly more dangerous.

A point towards safety. 11 behind Fulham already

Wes - 4 - First keeper in the history of football to get cramp? Fairly solid first half apart from a charge and punch he was very lucky with (could have easily bounced over him with a bit of spin on it). Took a touch and lost it second half and they hit the post. pass to the side and they score. Did pretty well in the air but comes out a long way to claim things.
Davies - 4 - Sloppy. Looks quite assured on the ball but defensively almost dropped a bollock trying to shepherd it out and some loose passes.
Egan - 5 - Won a fair amount of headers but didn't look entirely secure. The defence looked a mess at times and was fortunate on a few occasions
Basham - 3 - Thought he was poor and an accident waiting to happen. All their play came down our left and is too easy to turn. got beaten way too easily.
RND - 4 - Not convinced by him. Not the greatest defensively and little end product going forward. More steady than anything else.
Baldock - 3- As Bash. Way too easily beaten and doesn't get close enough to cut out crosses. Looks like that injury might keep him out for a while
Fleck - 4 - Played a couple of good balls, lost the ball and gave one away badly. There's just not much there an seems to drift through games
Norwood - 4 - At least wants the ball but for a playmaker seems to lack vision. Did a bit better defensively at least but uninspiring
Berge - 5 - Sloppy and got caught on the ball again. Looks dangerous when getting forward but doesn't do it nearly well enough. He looks ponderous at times, as if he's just going through the motions.
McBurnie - 5 - Started better but the problem is that if he's coming back or wide for the ball there's nothing in the middle. Got progressively less effective before coming off. Got his head on a couple of things but nowhere near.
Sharp - 3 - Thought he was fairly dire today. He's far too static. Just stands and waits in the middle. The two times he got great balls to him and had the chance to set a player free he completely stuffed it up. Shouldn't be starting for me, but then again who on earth is there?

Subs

Freeman - 6 - Came on at half time and played behind the strikers. We looked a little more dangerous with him on and he tried to make things happen (but nothing really came off). Looks overweight and slow but still better than anyone else today.
Bogle - 4 - Defensively he just doesn't read the game well and in weak in the tackle and nothing in the header. Bit more lively going forward but no end product.
Brewster - 0 - Appalling. Worse cross I've ever seen. Almost got to the halfway line. I'm starting to believe he's an elaborate joke. A performance artist taking the piss out of footballers.

Slav - 2 - We went back to the same set-up which hasn't worked for so long now. We had nothing going forward. You can hear the back-room staff shouting and screaming throughout but for all we kept the ball and played it nicely sideways and back there's no penetration. Changed formation and pushed Freeman into the Duffy role at halftime. Seemed to be working well but defensively made us a lot weaker without really creating anything.

5 games in, 2 draws, one goal and zero hope.

SUTV was ok. The commentary was bad but better than nothing. Stream never a problem. Some interesting replays and camera angles though.
you lost all credibility by giving McBurnie a 5!

Undoubtedly needs new players but he still needs time either way.
I don't disagree with you, but that will only work if we get new players in. These players have proved week after week that they can't even play the system they were brought in to play now, never mind take new tactics on board.
It saddens me, it really does, to see how quickly this bunch has deteriorated, every game we play is the cruelest groundhog day ever.

A ruthless purge like Wilder when he kicked out the shit left by Adkins, is needed now to clear Wilder's shit out to avoid doing a Sunderland.
You can only clear it out if the players want to go AND someone will take them.

Anyone else feel the urge to want to batter each of those players in hopes of knocking something, anything into them

Back
Top Bottom