Lunny love in!😇

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not

Not arguing one way or the other as I’m a bit on the fence with the lad but stats can be misleading. You also have to analyse the opposition in each game and various other factors. Was he brought in for the games where we were playing better teams and were expecting to see less of the ball? Were the games without him ones where we were going to dominate and didn’t need the extra solidity that he might bring. If so the win ratio in those games he played would be expected to be lower merely due the improved quality of the opposition.Etc. etc.

Now I don’t know if any of that is true but using raw stats like that can be misleading. What is telling though is that CWAK have kept him when they have released others so they see something in the lad that can be of use in the PL so I’ll trust their judgement

Lundstra started 5 games last season, against:

Swansea
Middlesbrough
Bristol City
Brentford
Reading

We won 2 of those games (Brentford and Reading) so not exactly against the best opposition, no top 6 finishers in fact.

A quick glance at 2017/18 tells exactly the same story - significantly lower win rate and he started 1 game vs a top 6 team.

But that apart, the fact he only started 5 games in a lower league is indicative of where CWAK rate him as a first team player. A handy squad filler perhaps and he’s a very cheap option so I don’t mind him padding it out. But I’d be surprised if he even saw the 18 next year if there are no injuries.

He gets a lot of air time for a player that barely featured for us last season at all! And there’s this theory that somehow he’ll be better now we’re in the best league in the world. I don’t really see it, to be honest.

I personally don't think he's that good of a player, from when I've watched him. Frustrates me, but I thought he was very good last night and had a great game. As others say he has beefed up and could develop into protecting the back 3 playing a deeper role instead of box to box, just sitting in.

I can see him developing nicely in that role.

i've always liked him, i know i'm in a minority, gets stuck in and tries things others wouldn't

doesn't always come off but at least he tries

good squad option for me

Lundstra started 5 games last season, against:

Swansea
Middlesbrough
Bristol City
Brentford
Reading

We won 2 of those games (Brentford and Reading) so not exactly against the best opposition, no top 6 finishers in fact.

A quick glance at 2017/18 tells exactly the same story - significantly lower win rate and he started 1 game vs a top 6 team.

But that apart, the fact he only started 5 games in a lower league is indicative of where CWAK rate him as a first team player. A handy squad filler perhaps and he’s a very cheap option so I don’t mind him padding it out. But I’d be surprised if he even saw the 18 next year if there are no injuries.

He gets a lot of air time for a player that barely featured for us last season at all! And there’s this theory that somehow he’ll be better now we’re in the best league in the world. I don’t really see it, to be honest.
Fair enough mate everyone is entitled to a view and as I said I’m a fence sitter currently.
Right what you say about the five starts but in defence Boro were in and around as were Bristol City and Swansea were a newly relegated premier team (won’t mention Brentford otherwise we’ll be swarmed with annoying buggers again!)

As I say CWAK sees something there and I trust them. He probably is a squad filler but I’m willing to wait and see with him because he is still relatively young.

Said it for a while now, he’ll thrive as a box-to-box midfielder rather than in the Coutts role. Has a knack of getting goals too compared to his fellow midfielders
He outscored fleck and was level on goals with Duffy in our first season back if I remember correctly

Would anyone say that Roy Keane has massive quality? Bollocks can go a long way, if you know what I mean!

He is a modern day Nick Montgomery. Not much skill but can tackle and run around a bit. Also, much like Monty he is good at giving the ball back to the opposition.

Lunny was just about adequate cover in the Championship but we should be looking at someone better now we are in the PL.

This is so far wide of the mark I’m not even sure where to begin with it.

This is so far wide of the mark I’m not even sure where to begin with it.

I think some people seem to have forgotten that we have got promoted to the Premier League and we need better cover than the likes of Lundstrum and Moore.

I think some people seem to have forgotten that we have got promoted to the Premier League and we need better cover than the likes of Lundstrum and Moore.

Wilder seems to have forgotten the same thing.

You said that “he’s good at giving the ball back to the opposition”. His pass completion rate last season was 82%, same as Norwood. It was only slightly lower than Coutts, at 86% but it was better than Fleck’s, at 79%. Sometimes people see exactly what they want to see.

Some of you lot are crazy if you think hes good enough for the premier league. Fleck is a better player by some distance, but he looked dodgy last night.. so you would have Lunny in front of Fleck. ? Lunny did some good things., but also some crap. Like his long ball passing going straight out of play. He ain't good enough full stop!

If it wasn’t for that awful JTW when Evan, Holmes and Leonard arrived, Lunny might have been an ever present by now. At the time he was just getting to grips with playing the Coutts role...... He then automatically dropped down the pecking order to make way for our new signings.......... Wilders biggest mistake so far. But to CW’s credit he soon identified we needed better than Evans, Holmes, Leonard, Lenny and Coutts................Enter Oliver Norwood.
Dare I say it CW is now probably looking for a Norwood upgrade.

Every time I read a suspect player suggestion on the rumour mill someone posted about how Wilder has a knack of improving players. Apparently he doesn’t, Lunny is no better than when he joined us and will never improve.

If it wasn’t for that awful JTW when Evan, Holmes and Leonard arrived, Lunny might have been an ever present by now. At the time he was just getting to grips with playing the Coutts role...... He then automatically dropped down the pecking order to make way for our new signings.......... Wilders biggest mistake so far. But to CW’s credit he soon identified we needed better than Evans, Holmes, Leonard, Lenny and Coutts................Enter Oliver Norwood.
Dare I say it CW is now probably looking for a Norwood upgrade.
He should ALWAYS be looking for upgrades. In Norwoods case, and as much as I admired him last season, he is a risk, and is yet to prove that he isn't a bit lightweight for the premier league.

We will need a bit more “strength in depth” when we embark on our European campaign next year.

Lundstram is far from rubbish. The lad can play football. He’s more than a committed trier.

Blimey. Sensational news breaking: Pinchy in 'talking sense shocker'!

Security alert. Someone's stolen his login details. Either that or he's been body snatched.:)

Sums my thoughts up too,but if he is still here for start of the season i am going to wipe the slate clean and see how he does if selected for a Prem game,(which i doubt will happen),i still get the feeling that someone come for him on loan.

Yep. That's my take too. However, I think Tufty has identified a specific role for him to come on as an enforcer and chase the ball for 20mins and kick anything that moves.

As we know, Tufty is smarter than you're average cat, so if he thinks he can use Lundstram in certain game situations, then I'm all for it!!

For me Lundstram’s issue is in the mind and not sure if this is fitness related. Now I don’t have any stats to go from but when he starts his performance dips around 70 minutes and when he comes on as sub he does well.

Saw that he finished 2nd in that fitness challenge thing so hopefully he will be on upwards curve from now on. Certainly has all the skills and technique if he can crack it

Yep. That's my take too. However, I think Tufty has identified a specific role for him to come on as an enforcer and chase the ball for 20mins and kick anything that moves.

As we know, Tufty is smarter than you're average cat, so if he thinks he can use Lundstram in certain game situations, then I'm all for it!!

I’d hope that Wilder doesn’t think that little of Lundstram personally. He’s not the best player we’ve ever had but he’s better than being reduced to someone who’s just brought on to ‘kick anything that moves’. I could do that.

Loved the new song for him that was being sung at the game - can't think of the tune but it's a well known jazz number, it's bugging the hell out of me !

I can't say that I have always been a big fan of his , but always thought that there was a good player in there. There have been times when he has come on & done a really good job, and I believe he has the ability to be a real asset in the Premiership where the extra time on the ball might suit him. The lad was unlucky that he was brought in a couple of seasons ago to replace Coutts after his injury & that was an unfair comparison to judge him on. Don't forget he is still a young guy , and maybe he will still prove a lot of people wrong.

Sounds very similar to how "Oooooh Ahhhhh was first viewed by blades fans....", i'll just be keeping the faith...if Lundy was shite I'm sure Tufty would have binned him by now.

I’d hope that Wilder doesn’t think that little of Lundstram personally. He’s not the best player we’ve ever had but he’s better than being reduced to someone who’s just brought on to ‘kick anything that moves’. I could do that.

I'm thinking more like Ferguson used Nicky Butt. Never played him in the big games but you knew when he did he play he'd cause mischief.

As others have said, if he has to start more than in emergencies, we're bang in trouble - but I trust Tufty to have a plan how to best deploy our players!

Reminds me when Ferguson bought berbatov due to his goal scoring record against teams in the bottom half. He never played him in the big games, but deployed him against the lower teams as he knew he'd do the business. That's the kind of strategic thinking which Tufty has and why he's such a freakin genius!

Back
Top Bottom